Options

[Transformers]: War for Cybertron out now! Light your darkest hour today!

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That was bizarre when they went into the Ark the disparity in sizes.

Given that BW was directly related to G1 and was the same universe and timeline; having it never really explained was kind of odd.

I think the explanation given was that they downsized in order to conserve energy.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yep, that was it. Though they kinda played up how big the ark was; technically Megatron wouldn't have been quite that tiny compared to Optimus Prime.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

It just seems odd that the time period between the Ark crashing on earth and when G1 takes place is several million years and they don't reduce their size for these reasons when energon is at its most sparse and the Autobots and Deceptecons are in a state of constant war for, again, millions of years.

Yet when shit calms down and Autobots effectively enslave the remainder of the 'cons they start shrinking?

I should really watch Beast Wars again. It's been almost 10 years since I watched them last.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can't have beast wars discussions without this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJkvwoddxY

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

It just seems odd that the time period between the Ark crashing on earth and when G1 takes place is several million years and they don't reduce their size for these reasons when energon is at its most sparse and the Autobots and Deceptecons are in a state of constant war for, again, millions of years.

Yet when shit calms down and Autobots effectively enslave the remainder of the 'cons they start shrinking?

I should really watch Beast Wars again. It's been almost 10 years since I watched them last.

A popular fan theory is the "modern" downsized Transformers were based on the Micromaster technology. (Also their animal forms were based on the Pretender technology)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If none of you have seen them, Dr. Smoov's Transformers videos are hilarious. SOS Wheeljack and The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime are the ones I've seen, but there are a bunch of others. And he does a pitch perfect Optimus Prime, which makes lines like "Wheeljack, why the FUCK did you build the dinobots with small brains?" even more awesome.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

A popular fan theory is the "modern" downsized Transformers were based on the Micromaster technology. (Also their animal forms were based on the Pretender technology)

Hrm.

The Micromaster thing; sure.

But Pretenders? They were only in the comics in the US, and nothing else in the comics (Dead Universe, Jhiaxus, Swarm, etc) is ever even mentioned in BW.

Oh well, I'm overthinking it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

Hrm.

But Pretenders? They were only in the comics in the US, and nothing else in the comics (Dead Universe, Jhiaxus, Swarm, etc) is ever even mentioned in BW.

Micromasters were also only in the comics in the US. (The cartoon got canceled long before they got to micromasters)

Also, the Dead Universe is a modern creation of IDW's. :D

Also, also, one of the two creators of the Vok felt that they were an evolution of the G2 Swarm, though the other creator felt they were the ultimate evolution of intelligent life in the universe, that all species would eventually become, so that's a mixed bag at best.

Also, also, also, they made liberal use of the name "Primus" towards the end of Beast Wars, and that was only a comic concept until that point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

I never really got why they did the four-million-years thing. Cybertron changed not at all during all that time, and no one on Earth noticed the gigantic spaceship rammed into the side of an active volcano. Why not just have it crash during the present day? Or at least something more recent, like the 1800s?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Oh. Huh.

I never really got why they did the four-million-years thing. Cybertron changed not at all during all that time, and no one on Earth noticed the gigantic spaceship rammed into the side of an active volcano. Why not just have it crash during the present day? Or at least something more recent, like the 1800s?
    Well, I can't speak for why they did it, but I will say that it wasn't until Mt. Saint Helens erupted that the Ark became visible. Before that it had gotten buried over the course of 4 million years.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

Hrm.

Micromasters were also only in the comics in the US. (The cartoon got canceled long before they got to micromasters)

Also, the Dead Universe is a modern creation of IDW's. :D

Also, also, there one of the two creators of the Vok felt that they were an evolution of the G2 Swarm, though the other creator felt they were the ultimate evolution of intelligent life in the universe, that all species would eventually become.

Also, also, also, they made liberal use of the name "Primus" towards the end of Beast Wars, and that was only a comic concept until that point.

Oh yeah dur re: dead universe. And I was thinking headmasters when I said micromasters. :P

And I knew that about the Vok and Swarm but it was just conceptualization by DiTillo; not really in the series proper.

Oh wells.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

Because Optimus Prime and Abraham Lincoln cannot both be alive at the same time. No force in the universe could stop them.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh. Huh.

Because Optimus Prime and Abraham Lincoln cannot both be alive at the same time. No force in the universe could stop them.

HeartsofSteel_OptimusPrime.jpg

EDIT: In other news; the things I would sacrifice for a Hearts of Steel toyline and/or game (I know the Prime has been fan-made now)...my wife would probably leave me if she knew :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If memory serves, the end to the fighting allowed for technology to progress in other ways unrelated to the best way to kill each other-- downsizing, transwarp tech, etc.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If memory serves, the end to the fighting allowed for technology to progress in other ways unrelated to the best way to kill each other-- downsizing, transwarp tech, etc.

Yah, making smaller bodies that require less energy is nice, but during a war you don't want to be small enough for the other side to punt into orbit. Despite having highly advanced weapons you'd be surprised how often Transformer conflicts came down to fist fights.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    4:22 mark was a moment that left me in awe when I was a little kid, I never expected a robot western showdown tune or moment in Beast Wars, even though the show had tons of them they never made such an awesome reference until then.

Plus I watched this episode tons of times because KB Toys had a deal where you buy some Beast Wars to get a video cassette of the episode. Up there with shit like the Frieza and Cell saga of DBZ where you don't know wtf is going to happen.

but anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt4BIYxwKi0&feature=related

4:22 mark

McAllen on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Predacons silhouetted against the sunrise is pretty much the best shot in the show period.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So good, it became the opening shot for the opening theme sequence during Season 3.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Can't have beast wars discussions without this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJkvwoddxY

Fuck

Didn't occur to me how often he said that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What?

It was his friggin' catch phrase. :D

"Yesss"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/video-games-17/tfw2005-war-for-cybertron-game-play-thoughts-and-interview-169292/
    This is actually sorta cool, and I thought this in particular was worth noting
    Finally we see Soundwave’s power which was to make walls of sound that could be used for cover.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    “Complete with several multiplayer modes, Transformers: War for Cybertron allows gamers to play through story missions with their friends in drop in/drop out online co-op, and also create their own Transformers character for competitive head-to-head multiplayer modes, choosing among four distinct character classes, personalising its look and selecting from a huge variety of weapons, skills and abilities.”
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Transformers-War-for-Cybertron-trailer/tabid/418/articleID/144347/Default.aspx

Sounds like standard press release hyperbole.

But still...

If I get to make my own Transformer...

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hopefully it's a combination of the two TF movie DS games, where you can pick your alt-mode and color scheme (ala the first game) as well as having swappable weapons and other upgrades (ala the second game).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I... I wasn't sure where to go...

I think this game looks pretty sweet. I like Transformers and this doesn't seem like rushed tie-in crap. But Activision scares me...

Ceno on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Transformers fans don't have many places to go for Transformer based games outside of the diamond in the rough that was the PS2 Armada based one. Hopefully it will be at the very least as good as that one. If they can do that, then I'll be happy.

Just god... it has to be better than the Bay movie tie-ins. It just has to be.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Transformers fans don't have many places to go for Transformer based games outside of the diamond in the rough that was the PS2 Armada based one. Hopefully it will be at the very least as good as that one. If they can do that, then I'll be happy.

Just god... it has to be better than the Bay movie tie-ins. It just has to be.

I loved the hell out of the Armada game and this one looks similar in spirit. I'm hoping for G1 skins as extras.

Ceno on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    More boss fights against combiners or large Transformers ala Tidal Wave in the PS2 TF Armada game will be much looked for.

Cade on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    More boss fights against combiners or large Transformers ala Tidal Wave in the PS2 TF Armada game will be much looked for.

I remember that level. My thoughts were "Man, I don't recall the Decpticons having a huge ass ship.... wait a minute... wasn't there a 3-piece combiner that turned into... oh shit...."

Gotta say, those screen shots look frakin awesome.

BTW, is this Onslaught? Was he announced?
    301494.transformers-war-for-cybertron-per-ps3.not_so_big.jpg

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's a new behind the scenes vid at Giant Bomb that shows off some Tidal Wave-esque enemies.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Multiplayer Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAwd9NCDEU&feature=player_embedded

Johnny Yong Basch will be the VA for Bumblebee.

Main site updated.

http://www.transformersgame.com/

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, nice.

I wonder if you'll be able to choose alt mode - I hope it isn't locked to character class. It seems like it might be, because I can't imagine a Leader-seeker.

Edit: Okay, it almost certainly is. The class icons show a vehicle above the name. Oh well.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Heh, they have killstreaks.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Huh. The website shows Shockwave and what appears to be Jazz in the preorder mouseover. But when I click on the different vendors, all I see is Shockwave for Gamestop and Demolishor for Amazon.

Also, if we can't edit alt mode, I hope we can at least edit our head/face.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looks like all you can edit is color.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hope the character creator is more than just color editor and that's all they showed for simplicity's sake. Because if I can create my own custom Transformer, choosing from various different forms and whatnot, I'm definitely buying this game. Childhood dreams come true and all that. If not, the game's back to the Meh pile.

reVerse on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    I hope the character creator is more than just color editor and that's all they showed for simplicity's sake. Because if I can create my own custom Transformer, choosing from various different forms and whatnot, I'm definitely buying this game. Childhood dreams come true and all that. If not, the game's back to the Meh pile.

If the first movie ds game could do this then by god this game should too!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Getting pretty hyped for this game. Anyone know the pedigree of the developer? I saw they did the Bourne game that came out in like 08, was that any good?

Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gah, they're doing bullshit in-game preorder bonuses spread out across multiple stores as well? Someone really needs to figure out how to put a stop to that silly goosery.

At the very least all of the preorder bonuses better end up on Live for everyone to download eventually (paid or free, whichever). Unlike Ghostbusters or Batman:AA which never made any of their bonuses available.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dammit, I hate having to choose. I'll probably go with Shockwave, even though I love how utterly random the selection of Demolishor was. Then again, I get free shipping with Amazon. I'm not sure Shockwave is worth 4 bucks.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I expect him to show up on Xbox Live for $5 (or whatever the MS Funbucks equivalent is), since this is still an Activision published game.

Delzhand on