As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games at PAX East

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, it's looking pretty good that I should be able to make it to PAX East next year. I'll be bringing along Battlestar Galactica if I get enough people saying they want to play. Once I have more concrete information, I'll post it up later.

Oh boy! Finding the frakkin' Cylons in Boston...can't wait!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Count me in for BSG. I've always wanted to try it.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's assuming WotC is going to PAX East. Though it would make sense since the parent company is like an hour away.

atiari on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Glad to know you're most likely coming MNC Dover. Again, my friends and I would be up for that (at least 3 of us). And we're not going to be complete noobs at it anymore, I got the game this week =)

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Count me in for BSG. I've always wanted to try it.

It's awesome, you'll love it.

dardor wrote: »
    Glad to know you're most likely coming MNC Dover. Again, my friends and I would be up for that (at least 3 of us). And we're not going to be complete noobs at it anymore, I got the game this week =)

I'm actually only able to come because of the generosity of two friends who are paying for my flight and hotel room. With me going back to college funds are tight. But now I can share some BSG and SF4 love. Good to hear you picked up the game. I'll be bringing the expansion with me as well. Airlocking bitches FTW!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can bring copies of Race for the Galaxy (no expansion packs), and Apples to Apples. Looking forward to get at least a game or two in of the former, I'm haven't gotten to play it much.

I'm also hoping to find a Dopplekopf game or two at PAX, even if I have to teach everyone how to play and bring the cards myself. It's a card game, not a board game. German in origin, played with a pinochle deck. You have a partner and take tricks for points, like in Bridge, but you have to discover who your partner is over the course of play. A very fun and sneaky game!

Zuki on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rio Grande games are traditionally very popular at PAX. In fact, an awesome couple (I forget their names, now) introduced me to Race for the Galaxy at PAX in September, at random. It was fantastic. I bought it that weekend, but it's hard convincing friends to play it. It's a game that requires some learning, and my friends are all wet blankets.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited December 2009
    I think I'll have to stop by my FLGS to get something new for PAX. All the games I have are fairly big/heavy. Not sure I want to use that valuable suitcase space for them.

Dopplekopf sounds like a more advanced version of this card game we used to play in primary school called "Kent". Well, that was what we called it anyways...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    I think I'll have to stop by my FLGS to get something new for PAX. All the games I have are fairly big/heavy. Not sure I want to use that valuable suitcase space for them.

Dopplekopf sounds like a more advanced version of this card game we used to play in primary school called "Kent". Well, that was what we called it anyways...

Tell us how it works! I know Doppelkopf is related to a few other games, and if I can find a copy of the rules online I'll post 'em. It may have a few other names.

Zuki on
    edited December 2009
    The Game of Kent

You play with a standard deck of cards (minus jokers). For 4 to 6 players, in teams of 2.

Each player is dealt a hand of 5 cards. You sit opposite your teammate.

4 cards are placed face-up on the table.

On your turn you have 2 options:

1) You may exchange one of the cards in your hand for one of the 4 face-up cards. You can only make 1 exchange per turn.

2) You may pass. If everyone passes in a turn, the 4 face-up cards are discarded and 4 more are drawn from the deck.

The objective of the game is to get 4 of a kind in your hand.

When you have 4 of a kind, your objective is to signal to your partner that you have 4 of a kind.

The signal is determined in private before the round of play. The signal has to be detectable by the other teams.

Example: Scratching your nose or coughing is good. Playing footsie under the table is bad. Well, bad in the context of the game...*ahem*

If your partner sees/hears your signal, they have to shout "KENT!"

If another player sees/hears your signal (or what they think is your signal), they have to shout "SCRAMBLE!" and point at the player they think is giving a signal.

As soon as someone shouts "KENT!" or "SCRAMBLE!", play stops and everyone shows their hand.

If a teammate successfully called "KENT!", your team gets 1 point and the round ends.

If an opposing player successfully intercepts your signal ("SCRAMBLE!"), their team gets 1 point and the round ends.

If a player has mistaken called "KENT!" or "SCRAMBLE!", their team loses 1 point and the round ends.

At the end of the round the deck is reshuffled and teams can choose a new signal.

This game is HILARIOUSLY fun. You spend most of your time watching the other players, thinking "What was that? Was that a signal? Does he have 4 of a kind? Oh shit- what's my partner doing? Did she mean to scratch her ear or was it a mistake? Do I call Kent? Oh crap it's my turn..."

You also have to watch for what the other players (including your teammate) are picking up from the 4 face-up cards and try to feed/deny them cards from your hand.

EDIT:
    Apparently the "official" Kent rules are on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_%28game%29 and the version I've learned is one of many variations.

Anyways. Ridiculously fun. Rijicurous.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My friends have Race and both expansions. We also have Dominion but no Intrigue (the guy who has it is moving to Cali...) or Seaside =( I picked up BSG as mentioned above and Puerto Rico, as well as some fast card games (Rook or Martian Fluxx anyone?) All my friends who aren't avid board gamers love Martian Fluxx.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I haven't heard of like half of these games...and I will play all of thems
    Maybe with some alcohol for the 21+

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have RFTG with both expansions as well. I wouldn't call it a hard game to learn, but then again, I learned how to play San Juan looooong before RFTG was released, and if you know how to play San Juan (the easy, card game version of Puerto Rico), you already know the basic mechanics of RFTG. All you have to do is learn the individual card text.
    Incidentally, San Juan's a more straight-forward game to learn. You may want to buy that one first and then switch over to RFTG when you master San Juan.
    Of course, San Juan also leads you to Puerto Rico, which is the same game, only with more options (mechanics are essentially the same).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • MavericZeroMavericZero Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    First I would like to apologies if this has been asked before, I could not for the life of me find any indication of such.

I have been following the comic for a few years and more recently I have been flabbergasted (yeah its that serious) by Gabe/Mike's Dungeons and Dragons game. I was wondering if there was any chance of you maybe running some of your cool custom events at PAX? I noticed you have DnD games as part of the program (being east coast and not having been to PAX myself I only know secondhand) and I would be remiss to not ask. Most of the events you have shown us do use elaborate set pieces, however i think with a little more lateral thinking (as alot has already gone into the events as is) they could be accomplished without requiring a large investment in dungeon tiles or laser lights, mirrors, etc.

For example: the multi-layered falling battle could just be played out with the same amount of boards lain side by side (sure its not the same visual pop but it would still be a fun encounter). Another solution i have is for the GoW style mirror dungeon, instead of an actual laser-light and mirrors the effect could be replicated with a length of string and something to tie it to.

I'm sure they would be a hit and a great way for some of us to get to try some of your well imagined scenarios while we wait for WotC to finally buy your campaign to make into a book.(which is what I expect to happen eventually)

MavericZero on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Gabe doesn't read the forums. On that note, it's doubtful he will personally be running a D&D campaign, as during PAX, Mike and Jerry are very busy. I'm sure there will be D&D games happening, as there always are, but who is running them and what campaigns are being played is up in the air.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MavericZeroMavericZero Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    well i wasn't thinking he would personally run it but rather pass out some source material to some DMs running games

MavericZero on
    edited December 2009
    Not something that has happened in the past, I think, but anything's possible.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2009
    Mike posts information on his D&D games on the PA site pretty regularly, especially when it comes to the more unusual scenarios and set pieces he does. I'm sure you could gather that together and make a PA inspired D&D campaign to run at PAX.

WotC and the RPGA run a myriad of events during PAX, from campaigns to shorter dungeon crawls, and I'm sure the community has tons of D&D stuff, too. I'm not a D&D gamer personally, but I know lots and there's never a shortage of things to do.

Also, if you think it would be a cool idea, e-mail Mike or Jerry. They're open to this kind of thing. Not saying they'll do it, but I don't think they would mind the suggestion.

Arco on
    edited December 2009
    Also a post in the suggestions thread may get the attention of whomever is in charge of tabletop this year. That could be somebody else with the resources to make that happen.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll send a link of this thread to our fearless Tabletop leader.

FYI: that game they play happens on Monday nights around 7pm PST. You can get a play-by-play if you follow "thekiko" on Twitter. Usually there are pictures and excellent descriptions, very entertaining.

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also a post in the suggestions thread may get the attention of whomever is in charge of tabletop this year. That could be somebody else with the resources to make that happen.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I will look into what we can offer in Tabletop for the aspiring GM/DM. There is a panel last year, "Art of the Dungeon Master" which should be repeated at PAX East 2010.
    We are also working to make sure the PAX Tabletop Library is available at East as well as at Prime.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw a good amount of support for Munchkin on here, so I figured I'd suggest another card game I just recently got into, Killer Bunnies. Anyone play this? Thoughts? I picked up the remix edition and had a great night with 3 other players. Only concern is that with all the various expansion rules it could be hard to drag in someone who has never played before.

Gundabad on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, what the heck.

One of the things I really want to do at PAX is play some tabletop games I've never had a chance to before.

I know the Dungeons and Dragons stuff will be out in force, but I can get as much of that at home as I want. I can get as much Exalted and Storyteller gaming at home as I want. I can play Anima: Beyond Fantasy more-or-less when I want, and the game isn't nearly as incomprehensible as it looks and quite a bit of fun besides.

I have, however, been so far unable to sell my group on trying out some, say, REIGN, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Spirit of the Century, or Weapons of the Gods. Some Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard. To say nothing of the difficulty of selling a group on Nobilis, and then playing it with dubiously-accquired PDFs. If I was a more experienced GM, I'd run a few things. But I like to play before I run.

I want to roll dice and throw down with some friendly folks I've never met before, on systems I've always wanted to try but never had.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this experience and desire.

So!

I've got Spirit of the Century, Mouse Guard, and Monsters and Other Childish Things. I haven't gotten to play them yet. I might be getting a few more game books for other things for Christmas. I think that I'd like to plot out some quick one-shots and pre-gens and run them for all and sundry a couple times. In return, I think it'd be awesome if I wasn't the only person doing this, and I'll play in your PAX one-shots and let you try out a new system or put an old favorite through its paces.

Anyone else going to bring their dice and books to PAX, or looking to do something similiar as I?

Regarding Tabletop Panels, I seem to recall that the Front Row Crew's 'Beyond Dungeons and Dragons' is another good panel from PAX of yore. I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year at PAXeast, though.

Zuki on
  • FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zuki wrote: »
    Oh, what the heck.

One of the things I really want to do at PAX is play some tabletop games I've never had a chance to before. ...SNIP POST...

We always welcome a variety of games happening at PAX, however, we schedule only a few directly. Many organized games occur under the various exhibitors, as well as many demos.
    If individual attendees want to run their own games, we are happy to provide freeplay space on a first-come, first-served basis.
    The Burning Wheel system looks really nice, and I have a copy of Burning Empires myself, though I haven't played it yet. Stop by Tabletop when you are in Boston and we can always help you put the word out during the show.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • sjkellyfettisjkellyfetti Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Yes, I;d be interested in playing some Burning Wheel, Mouseguard, Spirit of the Century, Savage Worlds, or anything not WotC at PAX as I don't get anything other than d20 at home...

Skells

sjkellyfetti on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, what the heck.

One of the things I really want to do at PAX is play some tabletop games I've never had a chance to before. ...SNIP POST...

We always welcome a variety of games happening at PAX, however, we schedule only a few directly. Many organized games occur under the various exhibitors, as well as many demos.
    If individual attendees want to run their own games, we are happy to provide freeplay space on a first-come, first-served basis.
    The Burning Wheel system looks really nice, and I have a copy of Burning Empires myself, though I haven't played it yet. Stop by Tabletop when you are in Boston and we can always help you put the word out during the show.
    CFK
    The officially scheduled games are really kind of a small fraction of the amount of tabletop gaming that goes on. Last year there were two entire floors of the convention center, right off the elevators, devoted to tabletop freeplay. There's a room FULL of games that you can check out and tons of rooms full of tables to play in. I played dozens of games with people, at least half of whom I didn't know. Freeplay is where it's at. If you want to play a game, go check it out and find some people. It's not nearly as hard as you think, especially with 60,000 PAXers in attendance.

Arco on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes, I;d be interested in playing some Burning Wheel, Mouseguard, Spirit of the Century, Savage Worlds, or anything not WotC at PAX as I don't get anything other than d20 at home...

Skells

Luke Crane creator of Burning Wheel will be around PAX East. He is local to NYC and the trip isn't too far.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited December 2009
    heels wrote: »

Skells

Luke Crane creator of Burning Wheel will be around PAX East. He is local to NYC and the trip isn't too far.

O frabjous day! Calloo, callay!

Or as the fangirls say: Squee.

(I'd hoped he'd make it, I'm looking forward to meeting the man.)

Bad poetry aside, who wants to run a game? If we're all looking to play, we might be up the creek without a canoe, no matter how many paddles we've got. I've got a fairly reliable SoTC oneshot idea I could try called "The Time Tunnels of Tibet!". It has a zeppelin and cultists. :mrgreen:

Zuki on
  • ChierinChierin Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I will be bringing my blood bowl set and my woodelves, on the off chance anyone is interested. Probably wont leave the hotel room though.

I will also have Talisman (4th edition, sorry to the person who wanted second...) with the dungeon expansion. Ive had some fun nights with friends with that game.

Chierin on
    edited January 2010
    I'll probably be bringing Ruse & Bruise and maybe anything else that is small & light.

So how do we get organized, Sheraton-ites?

Do we know if all of the PAX-rooms are located on the same floor(s) of the hotel? Do we wander up and down the halls saying "Bring out your dice! Bring out your dice!"

Coloured name tags? Twitter hash tags? Bulging dice bags? Something something something dark side?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Game of Kent...

holy crap, thats exactly how i used to play the game in grade school. Since then, whenever i mention it, people think ive lost my mind. It would be awesome to get a game or two of this at PAXeast

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will definitely be bringing Betrayal at House on the Hill, and will most likely bring the Catan card game for the train ride.

I'm also [strike]probably[/strike]definitely staying at the Sheraton, so after-hours is good too.

Bitstream on
  • lizxphilelizxphile Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Hi all! I have just discovered that this con is happening and am super excited! I go to local cons regularly (I live about 20mi from Boston) and am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces in the crowd :) I saw someone mention Carcassonne?? My brother got that game recently and we LOVE it. I will make sure he brings it. How many other people have played?? i'd love to get some games together!

lizxphile on
    edited January 2010
    The Game of Kent...

holy crap, thats exactly how i used to play the game in grade school. Since then, whenever i mention it, people think ive lost my mind. It would be awesome to get a game or two of this at PAXeast

Oh it's on like Donkey Kong!

hi5

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haven't played Betrayal for a while. I play Carcassone on my 360 all the time. I'll have to practice against real people at other cons leading up to this one.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi all,

Me and at least 4 other friends are wondering if any MTG tournaments will be going on, and which rulesets.

We're local to Boston, so we've never seen what a "normal" PAX is... But we'd be interested in whatever. We just need to know what sort of tournaments might run, and what sort of decks to prep.

Vintage? Legacy? Standard? Extended? Sealed? Draft?

Anyway, I'd love a serious tournament to be posted, but if not, please, post what kind of games you'd want to play.

I have a Standard and a Vintage, with the Vintage being 10-card Proxy legal 8-)

I could probably make another format or two if I had to.

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its been far too long since I've played magic, so that sounds like gibberish, but I keep wanting to get back into it, and would love to see a tourney.

If for no other reason than to learn whats new in MTG.

ZeroHourHero on
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=judge/resources/banned

Rule-less is usually called "Casual", but even casual decks usually at least follow Vintage rules. Rules beyond that sort of vary. :)

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, MTG, it's been years since I've really played, but my wife and I got some pre-cons a few months back and I have an OLD deck that I designed myself, if people are up for some casual MTG play I'd be down.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A few things (this will be my first Pax, me and my man are coming down from Canada):

1) I'd love to play Warmachine but there's no way I'm hauling those delicate guys all the way down to Boston without a guarantee of play with at least a few other people. If anybody wants to play though I'd be happy to bring a small army to play a couple pre-determined point limit games, so I can save space.

2) Anybody interested in Wings of War? I don't know how many of you have played or heard of it, but it's a very fun, compact game you can learn to play in like fifteen minutes and I'd happy run/demo it. Any takers?

3)
    I've got Spirit of the Century, Mouse Guard, and Monsters and Other Childish Things. I haven't gotten to play them yet. I might be getting a few more game books for other things for Christmas. I think that I'd like to plot out some quick one-shots and pre-gens and run them for all and sundry a couple times. In return, I think it'd be awesome if I wasn't the only person doing this, and I'll play in your PAX one-shots and let you try out a new system or put an old favorite through its paces.

I am desperate to play Spirit of the Century. I can't really offer up to volunteer running any one-shots (I'd be able to run Mutants and Masterminds, but I've never done a one-shot and I haven't been able to play in a while) but I'd be happy to siphon off your generous offer.

4) In terms of Magic, I also wanted to test the waters on playing some more exotic and entertaining formats... say, Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH)? I have no idea what Magic has been like for the last few years so I can't really do any current-type formats but would love to engage in some casuals and EDH. Actually, if there was interest I'd be happy to run a miniature EDH league over the course of the convention.

GHoooSTS on
This discussion has been closed.