As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HOLIDAY GUNDAM THREAD & ALIENS & OTHER BULLSHIT

Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for teaSecret British ThreadRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Social Entropy++
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2764647/Spiral-UFO-puts-Norway-in-a-spin.html#ixzz0ZDsK7yRd

A MYSTERIOUS giant spiral of light that dominated the sky over Norway this morning has stunned experts — who believe the space spectacle is an entirely new astral phenomenon.

Thousands of awe-struck Norwegians bombarded the Meteorological Institute to ask what the incredible light — that could be seen in the pre-dawn sky for hundreds of miles — could possibly be.

The phenomenon has been dubbed 'Star-Gate' — as the world's top scientists and the military lined up to admit they were baffled.

Theories ranging from a misfired Russian missile, meteor fireball, never-before-seen type of northern light, 'black hole' and even alien activity were all proposed.

Witnesses across Norway, who first glimpsed the space show at 8.45am, all described seeing a spinning 'Catherine wheel-style' spiral of white light, centred around a bright moon-like star.

A blue "streaming tail" appeared to anchor the spiral to earth, before the light "exploded" into a rotating ring of white fire.

Phenomenon ... unexplained sighting
Phenomenon ... unexplained sighting
Jan Petter Jørgensen / Rex Features

The spiral spectacle — which lasted for two minutes — was seen by vast swathes of the Scandinavian country's almost five million population, with sightings as far north as Finnmark to Trondelag in the south.

Totto Eriksen, from Tromso, in northern Norway, was one of the thousands who bombarded Norwegian newspapers with sightings — after nearly crashing his car on spotting the spiral overhead.

He said: "I was driving my daughter to school when this light spun and exploded in the sky.

"We saw it from the Inner Harbour in Tromso. It looked like a rocket that spun around and around - and then went diagonally across the heavens.

"It looked like the moon was coming over the mountain - but then turned into something totally different.

Blue tail ... stunned Norwegians
Blue tail ... stunned Norwegians

"People just stopped and stared on the pier - it was like something from a Hollywood movie."

Axel Berg, from Alta, also in the north of the country, added: "It was like a giant spiral - a shooting star that spun around and around.

"I initially thought it was a projector but then the 'tail light' left and the spiral remained spinning still."

Norway's most celebrated astronomer, Knut Jorgen Roed Odegaard, said he had never seen anything like the spiral before.

Mystery ... missile theory
Mystery ... missile theory

He said: "This was seen over an exceptionally large area of the country - in all of north Norway and the Trondelag.

"My first thought was that it was a fireball meteor - but it lasted far too long.

"It may have been a missile from Russia - but I can't guarantee that is the answer.

"I rang the Air Traffic Control tower in Tromse. They said it was over in two minutes. To me, that is far too long for this to be an astronomical phenomenon.

"This spiral shape is unique. It is definitely not a variation of the aurora borealis - northern lights."

Astonishing ... spinning UFO
Astonishing ... spinning UFO

Chief Scientist Erik Tandberg, at the Norwegian Space Centre, said that he too was "totally amazed" by the spiral.

He agreed with many other experts that the spiral pattern could have been caused by a missile from Russia — something the Russian military have strongly denied.

Advertisement

Dr Tandberg said: "I agree with everyone in the science community that this light was the weirdest thing. I have never seen anything like this ever.

"It may have been anything from an exploding missile whose launch went wrong - to a comet or other celestial object that for some reason has been behaving strangely.

"If it was a missile - most likely from the launch base in Pletsevsk in Russia or one of the Russian submarines or even from the European Space Agency base in Kiruna - then we are talking about a rocket launch that has gone wrong.

"The spiral suggests the object came off course and balance and entered the spiral movement. Leaking rocket fuel could account for the blue light.

"But I know that the military have denied this explanation. So we could be looking at an entirely new natural phenomenon."

Meanwhile, Nick Pope, former UFO analyst for the Ministry of Defence, yesterday added that the Norwegian sighting was a "real mystery".

He said: "My first thought was this was a meteor, a fireball, or debris from an old satellite burning up in the earth's atmosphere.

"But the spiral motion makes this unlikely. This is truly bizarre. It's a real mystery.

"A meteor or a fireball would simply travel in a straight line but for something to spiral in this way appears to go against the laws of physics.

"Some may think it is the Northern Lights but they illuminate the sky with a green glow.

"This is completely different from any image of the Northern Lights that I have ever seen.

"It's ironic that something like this should happen the very week after the MoD terminated its UFO project. It just goes to show how wrong that decision was."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2764647/Spiral-UFO-puts-Norway-in-a-spin.html#ixzz0ZE8DGzRd

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

what the fuck is going on in NOrway

Zen Vulgarity on

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/12/09/awesomely-bizarre-light-show-freaks-out-norway/
    However, after a moment, I realized this must be a rocket, most likely spiraling out of control. I don’t understand all the details — I don’t have all the info yet — but a rocket fits what we’re seeing here. First, this was seen all over Norway, so it must have been at a high altitude to be so visible. Second, the blue spiral angling down to the right is clearly due to perspective. A rocket spiraling around, and coming up from the lower right, would appear to make tight spirals when it was far away and bigger ones as it got closer.

Third, you can actually see the bright white spiral spinning in the videos. That threw me for a second, to be honest, but after a moment I figured that it makes sense if the rocket is headed more or less straight toward the camera. Whatever it is being lit up (exhaust, or a leaking payload?) would appear to expand in a spiral like water from a spinning sprinklerhead. The spiral itself is not spinning any more than water from the sprinkler is; that’s an illusion of motion.

Fourth, after a few moments, a black disk appears to expand in the center of the white spiral, as seen in this picture (it’s a little fuzzy; you can see the person taking it must have used a long exposure because foreground lights are jittery, but you get the idea). That’s exactly what I would expect if whatever is being ejected by the rocket ran out; the arms of the spiral would expand away from the center, leaving black emptiness in the middle.

UPDATE: From Doctor Atlantis I heard of this video which simulates particles being spewed out from a spinning rocket booster. Look familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnIrx2MT85s&feature=player_embedded
    Just reposting this.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    swamp gas

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cover your asses

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    can't be a missile

there ain't much to bomb in Norway

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the greatest proof of intelligent life on other planets is that they haven't actually bothered to contact us

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    also; needs more lens flare

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the greatest proof of intelligent life on other planets is that they haven't actually bothered to contact us

thanks, Bill

Tam on
    edited December 2009
    Tam wrote: »

thanks, Bill

always a pleasure

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rocket my ass!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Sun, urgh.

Liiya on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It was interesting enough for me to post a sun article!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    zen you make the worst threads

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited December 2009
    :cry:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    youd think that we would have discussed this in some other thread

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cross posting this~
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »

I don't think I'd call one expert's speculation as confirmation. Particularly when the Russians still deny firing a rocket at all.

To me this sounds like an experimental weapon that either the Russians or the Norwegians fired off that either went horribly wrong in flight, yielded far greater results than anticipated, Or provided unexpected results than what was anticipated.

I'm going to cross post this from another forum:

I dunno you probably won't take it as evidence but as far as "probable causes" a rocket or failed rocket launch is pretty easily the most probable cause.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    But I loooked

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2009
    Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It was just a rocket. No need to be alarmed.
    norm-495ba9a97f856-MeninBlack1997.jpg

Antimatter on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Phenomenon

doo doo do do do

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh shit spirals coming gonna start digging be right back

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited December 2009
    it was a russian rocket

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited December 2009
    Phenomenon

doo doo do do do

phenomenon.jpg

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't see no other threads talken' about real aliens

just the fake ones

unless we're really going through an x-com scenario

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Twisted Metal was soooo badass.

They should make a new Twisted Metal game.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    tumblr_kre8lswFk01qzp105o1_400.jpg

Aliens exist in your trash though!

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2009
    they're not aliens, they're just dirty dirty monsters

Tam on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Phenomenon

doo doo do do do

phenomenon.jpg

Look at Travolta's head in that poster.

Just look at it.

DMAC on
    edited December 2009

You're a dirty monster

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i hope it turns out to be something cool.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man i popped a boner for like 5 seconds.

then i was all like "=\"

i'm never gonna get to fuck an alien.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    edited December 2009

You're a dirty monster

yeah, that's what your mom calls it

Tam on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    peterdevore on
    edited December 2009

You're a dirty monster

that's how I got gonorrhea

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    one time my brother and i were just sitting around playing goldeneye

i was bond and he was 006 and it was grenade launchers at archives

we kinda looked at the screen and said the exact same thing out loud

"fucknonemon starring john travolta"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited December 2009
    i hope it turns out to be something cool.
    it.was.a.russian.rocket

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

then i was all like "=\"

I have no idea what this was related to, and painfully think it was the Travolta poster

Mr. Buttons on
    edited December 2009

You're a dirty monster

electric gonorrhea

the noisy killer

Tam on
    edited December 2009

You're a dirty monster

electric gonorrhea

the noisy killer

nice

Zen Vulgarity on
  • thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I fell back into my bed after reading that. Laughed and then searched for the original owner of that quote. Didn't find it. Are you ready for me to assume you just made this up?

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

then i was all like "=\"

I have no idea what this was related to, and painfully think it was the Travolta poster

in reference to the first two posts of this thread where it went from "possible aliens" to "just a busted rocket"

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.