As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens contacted Norway.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No way man, it's gotta be aliens. The Internet even says so.
    Found that as the top link for a Google search for Aliens contacted Norway. People are funny :lol:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/12/09/awesomely-bizarre-light-show-freaks-out-norway/
    However, after a moment, I realized this must be a rocket, most likely spiraling out of control. I don’t understand all the details — I don’t have all the info yet — but a rocket fits what we’re seeing here. First, this was seen all over Norway, so it must have been at a high altitude to be so visible. Second, the blue spiral angling down to the right is clearly due to perspective. A rocket spiraling around, and coming up from the lower right, would appear to make tight spirals when it was far away and bigger ones as it got closer.

Third, you can actually see the bright white spiral spinning in the videos. That threw me for a second, to be honest, but after a moment I figured that it makes sense if the rocket is headed more or less straight toward the camera. Whatever it is being lit up (exhaust, or a leaking payload?) would appear to expand in a spiral like water from a spinning sprinklerhead. The spiral itself is not spinning any more than water from the sprinkler is; that’s an illusion of motion.

Fourth, after a few moments, a black disk appears to expand in the center of the white spiral, as seen in this picture (it’s a little fuzzy; you can see the person taking it must have used a long exposure because foreground lights are jittery, but you get the idea). That’s exactly what I would expect if whatever is being ejected by the rocket ran out; the arms of the spiral would expand away from the center, leaving black emptiness in the middle.

UPDATE: From Doctor Atlantis I heard of this video which simulates particles being spewed out from a spinning rocket booster. Look familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnIrx2MT85s&feature=player_embedded
    Just reposting this.

Couscous on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The important thing to note here is that if they are aliens, they contacted Norway first and clearly aren't intelligent life

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesqQpi6KC0

that's kind of terrifying at first.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Apparently there are reports that it was a test of a Bulava rocket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSM-56_Bulava

http://www.frisnit.com/cgi-bin/navtex/view.cgi?id=1159919&lan=en&type=24H&message_filter=&search=ROCKET&station_filter=&date=2009-12-09&source=a4f7a470329caf85e2488355c7e88328&offset=0

That last link is a warning to mariners to not travel in that area on the date of the launch, which coincidentally was the date the phenomenon was seen.

It seems the rocket spun out of control and left the spiral pattern.

It's very pretty, though.

It was seen over the entire country. I'm having trouble believing it was simply a rocket. Plus it looks kinda crazy and rather bright...blue? to be a rocket.

Norway barely qualifies as an "entire country."
    http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/norway_rel96.jpg

NORWAY IS BIG.

Best video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3z8DlNZKag&feature=player_embedded#

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Seeing it what? Sit in the sky for two minutes and fly in circles? Scarily neat and orderly circles? While a big blue light shines at it?

Plus, it looks pretty big. How big are rockets? That big? It might be a rocket, but I'm betting against it.

It is God, he wanted you to look at his asshole. Because you are one.

Rockets are huge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSp8-WaALA

The space shuttle lifting off at night.

Robman on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    that is one of the few times where people yelling "that is awesome" are correct in the most literal sense of the word

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

http://www.frisnit.com/cgi-bin/navtex/view.cgi?id=1159919&lan=en&type=24H&message_filter=&search=ROCKET&station_filter=&date=2009-12-09&source=a4f7a470329caf85e2488355c7e88328&offset=0

That last link is a warning to mariners to not travel in that area on the date of the launch, which coincidentally was the date the phenomenon was seen.

It was seen over the entire country. I'm having trouble believing it was simply a rocket. Plus it looks kinda crazy and rather bright...blue? to be a rocket.
    What about it being a rocket precludes it from being high in the sky and visible over most of Norway? It was a russian launch and rockets kinda go high in the sky. That's their thing.

Also you're not seeing the rocket you're seeing the exhaust from it.
    Seeing it what? Sit in the sky for two minutes and fly in circles? Scarily neat and orderly circles? While a big blue light shines at it?

Plus, it looks pretty big. How big are rockets? That big? It might be a rocket, but I'm betting against it.
    Okay apparently you need to read up on what kind of pattern a rocket that's spinning out of control makes.

trident%20in%20a%20spiral.jpg

Spread that out very high in the sky and you start to see a beautiful pattern just like that which was seen in Norway.

Notice that as the photos advance in time, the blue trail starts to dissipate:
    Norwegion-Lights2_945268a.jpg

Norwegion-Lights3_945269a.jpg

The pattern of dissipation is exactly consistent with the way jet engine trails dissipate in the sky the longer they hang in the air.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

NORWAY IS BIG.

I heard it once took somebody all day to walk from one side of the country to the other.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm still failing to see how the smoke there from that rocket on the water can make a pattern seen for hundreds of miles that is always that perfect spiral. There aren't any strange deviations. And everyone is denying they fired a rocket.

So until someone definitely says "Yep, it was a rocket. Our bad." then I'm disbelieving the rocket thing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I Want to Believe

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The important thing to note here is that if they are aliens, they contacted Norway first and clearly aren't intelligent life

I don't know, if you're an alien species trying to contact humanity without getting nuked in the face you could do a lot worse.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm still failing to see how the smoke there from that rocket on the water can make a pattern seen for hundreds of miles that is always that perfect spiral. There aren't any strange deviations. And everyone is denying they fired a rocket.

So until someone definitely says "Yep, it was a rocket. Our bad." then I'm disbelieving the rocket thing.
    The russians had been actively testing that type of rocket for a long time. Did you even read the wiki I linked?

A notice was sent out to mariners to avoid traveling in that area at that time in preparation for a missile launch.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The russians had been actively testing that type of rocket for a long time. Did you even read the wiki I linked?

A notice was sent out to mariners to avoid traveling in that area at that time in preparation for a missile launch.

Didn't they also say they've only got like, one left? They're also denying that they did it.

I wonder if anyone in Sweden saw it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Didn't they also say they've only got like, one left? They're also denying that they did it.

Russia kind of has a history of denying when something they do screws up. This is pretty SOP for them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Russia kind of has a history of denying when something they do screws up. This is pretty SOP for them.

Yeah, i'm fully aware of how countries often deny things they do. It's pretty SOP for the US as well, just as much as the Russians if not more so.

What about this bit? "Within seconds a giant spiral had covered the entire sky. Then a green-blue beam of light shot out from its centre - lasting for ten to twelve minutes before disappearing completely."

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, i'm fully aware of how countries often deny things they do. It's pretty SOP for the US as well, just as much as the Russians if not more so.

What about this bit? "Within seconds a giant spiral had covered the entire sky. Then a green-blue beam of light shot out from its centre - lasting for ten to twelve minutes before disappearing completely."

Just read the Bad Astronomy link posted earlier. Generally a very good source for this kind of info (and for debunking anti-vaccination fuckjob ranting too)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Though, you have to admit, that thing is surprisingly uniform. I would not have expected a rocket to make something that smooth. I mean, I know its high altitude, which is going to make the lines appear smoother, but damn, I'm impressed. They should do that shit on purpose on holidays if rockets do it so naturally and simply.

Not that I'm disagreeing that its a rocket. It probably is. But it still looks awesome.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What do you believe?
    I just know I'm going to regret this

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The blue green beam is most definitely a lens flare. No really.

It is extremely dark so they must have cranked exposure time up to over 9000. It's a lens flare, an artifact.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Alright so maybe we should just nip this in the bud right now.

Militaries routinely deny activities related to the testing of missiles that demonstrate their ability or failure to pull off launches. Because they kinda don't want to flaunt the fact that they can't even get a goddamned missile to go where it was supposed to go.

So the official position of the military has to be taken with a grain of salt.

So EVEN IF the Russian military denies it was their launch, the fact remains that it looks to all the world like a missile launch gone wrong. We have a plausbile explanation, we have seen those patterns on spiraling missiles before, we can explain everything in terms of that slightly out-of-the-ordinary, but still plausible explanation.

For you to jump to "ALIENS OMG" or "BLACK HOLES ZOMG" is for you to pass up perfectly plausible explanations in favor of your strange, incredibly improbable explanation just because you think it would be cooler.

Yeah, it'd be fucking awesome if aliens came down and did a laser light show for us. Totes. But I wouldn't arrive at that conclusion until every single plausible earthbound phenomenon had been exhausted first. And that's because I'm not a conspiracy loony, I'm a relatively intelligent person who believes in the power of reason.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

NORWAY IS BIG.

I heard it once took somebody all day to walk from one side of the country to the other.

Yes genius. See the narrow part at the top near Narvik? Its possible to run from the atlantic to the swedish border and make it back in one day if you do it there. Its like sitting on the four corners states in the US and being in 4 states at once.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm still failing to see how the smoke there from that rocket on the water can make a pattern seen for hundreds of miles that is always that perfect spiral.
    Rockets go up high. Being really high up means you can see something from similar angles as everybody else.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I blame Thor.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just saw a news segment on Norwegian television on this and saw this thread.

first of all, no, it was not seen in the entire country. I did not see this. I'm closer to Rome than I am to the places that did.

It's obvious it was a missile, as the russians had warned people not to go into the area beforehand, and that the norwegian military has just confirmed that they were warned about the launch: http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/12/09/nyheter/innenriks/nordlys/rakett/russland/9426900/

What some guy on the telly was saying is that it was highly likely that it was a missle that went out of control that the russians shot down.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    See the narrow part at the top near Narvik? Its possible to run from the atlantic to the swedish border and make it back in one day if you do it there. Its like sitting on the four corners states in the US and being in 4 states at once.

Makes sense. It's not like there's anything else to do for fun in Norway.

Edit: That would be an awesome place to open a Tåcø Bjæll. "Make a run for the border!"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Though, you have to admit, that thing is surprisingly uniform. I would not have expected a rocket to make something that smooth. I mean, I know its high altitude, which is going to make the lines appear smoother, but damn, I'm impressed. They should do that shit on purpose on holidays if rockets do it so naturally and simply.

Not that I'm disagreeing that its a rocket. It probably is. But it still looks awesome.
    When something goes wrong on a rocket that isn't catastrophic, something like a slight nozzle failure or a guidance system error, it tends to continue flying in whatever manner the error sets it into. Think of it like putting a car in gear with the CLUB on the steering wheel, the car will just go in circles over and over until something stops it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    aren't rocket launches easily detectable by satellites both military and research? would it be such a stretch to say that there are people that besides the people that launched this rocket know about the launch as well through that kinda monitoring not to mention the inevitable seismic activity from such launches. I mean theres gotta be some scientists somewhere who detected this launch who aren't bound by any government gag rules who can corroborate this

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Honk wrote: »

It is extremely dark so they must have cranked exposure time up to over 9000. It's a lens flare, an artifact.

Actually, the video posted that is a demonstration of how a rocket spirals also has the blue spiral in the center, and that is a computer generated thing, so its definitely not a lens flare.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not telling you IT'S NOT A ROCKET, JESUS. I'm saying "That doesn't look like a rocket to me, until someone conclusively comes out and says 'yeah, we fired a rocket' or 'yeah, definitely a rocket' and there is a large consensus, I'm leaving my options open.

I don't know what it is. But it looks nothing like any rocket I've ever heard about before. So i'm taking it with a few grains of salt.

I was unaware a position of open mindedness would be fucking assaulted. Christ people.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That doesn't look like a rocket to me
    But it looks nothing like any rocket I've ever heard about before.
    How often have you seen military rockets go out of control?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not telling you IT'S NOT A ROCKET, JESUS. I'm saying "That doesn't look like a rocket to me, until someone conclusively comes out and says 'yeah, we fired a rocket' or 'yeah, definitely a rocket' and there is a large consensus, I'm leaving my options open.

I don't know what it is. But it looks nothing like any rocket I've ever heard about before. So i'm taking it with a few grains of salt.

I was unaware a position of open mindedness would be fucking assaulted. Christ people.

:whistle:and i think its gonna be a long long time:whistle:

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Abdhyius wrote: »

first of all, no, it was not seen in the entire country. I did not see this. I'm closer to Rome than I am to the places that did.

It's obvious it was a missile, as the russians had warned people not to go into the area beforehand, and that the norwegian military has just confirmed that they were warned about the launch: http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/12/09/nyheter/innenriks/nordlys/rakett/russland/9426900/

What some guy on the telly was saying is that it was highly likely that it was a missle that went out of control that the russians shot down.
    To be open minded is to search for plausible explanations, not silly ones.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

When something goes wrong on a rocket that isn't catastrophic, something like a slight nozzle failure or a guidance system error, it tends to continue flying in whatever manner the error sets it into. Think of it like putting a car in gear with the CLUB on the steering wheel, the car will just go in circles over and over until something stops it.

I would just think that wind or something would cause it to be a bit more erratic. I mean, if you shake up a can of soda and then punch a hole in it, that thing is going to be all over the place and not at all in any sort of uniform pattern.

Obviously that's on a much smaller scale, and the forces being applied from the rocket are much greater to overcome whatever effects smaller propelled things, but still, I would have expected some divergences, that's all.

Again, I'm not advocating the alien theory, I'm just genuinely impressed with how perfect it is.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    See the narrow part at the top near Narvik? Its possible to run from the atlantic to the swedish border and make it back in one day if you do it there. Its like sitting on the four corners states in the US and being in 4 states at once.

Well..... there is having sex with all the gorgeous hot blond girls, but even that gets old after the ten thousanded time.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Honk wrote: »

Actually, the video posted that is a demonstration of how a rocket spirals also has the blue spiral in the center, and that is a computer generated thing, so its definitely not a lens flare.

The blue spiral in the CG simulation is the path where the particle emitter has travelled.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well..... there is having sex with all the gorgeous hot blond girls, but even that gets old after the ten thousanded time.

I'm... I'm just jealous. :(

Feral on

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Huh. the comments on that article is pretty much exactly this thread

one loon and alot of people mocking him

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Abdhyius wrote: »

To be open minded is to search for plausible explanations, not silly ones.

The only "silly" explanation i've offered is "lol aliens" which was exactly what it was supposed to be. A silly suggestion, that is potentially plausible. It might be aliens. It also might be the largest fart ever.

But we don't know that, because we have no proof yet. At no point in this thread have I attempted to push my views onto anyone else. I just brought the thread up, and then went "Doesn't look like a rocket to me. I'll wait and see what professionals say" and then was yelled at. A lot.

SniperGuy on