As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader RPG Discussion

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The first time a player in my Dark Heresy game swung their Power Sword, they cut a guy in half so hard he exploded.

The resulting explosion dropped the player from full Wounds to -6.

Just saying.
    See, if he'd've used a Power Fist instead, there wouldn't have been enough of the guy left to explode.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Read the critical damage tables in the book. Rows 9 and 10 for every table are pretty amusing.

9: The target is no more.
    No more?
    Alright you want plain english? Robin, is gonna be ded. Dee, eee, dee, ded.

10+: Michael Bay presents: EXPLOSIONS!

On that note... the whole Acolyte -> Battle Sister -> Rogue Trader progression leads me to believe that we'll all be drinking mead on Fenris this time next year.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Our game is finally getting started. No combat yet, just chatting up Nobles at a big party, putting the feelers out for adventure.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos: Do you have access to any of the dark heresy books? A Rosarius or force field of some kind (preferably the rosarius) will go a long, long way to keeping a Melee character alive.

Otherwise a power fist is going to get alot of mileage and is a great character piece. I would still worry about losing parry though. Unless you intend to use the power fist in one hand and the power sword in the other. In this case you deserve some kind of award.

Another really great weapon for a Melee character, since you'll actually get close enough to use them, is monofilament grenades. Which at extremely rare for a single man are an automatic starting acquisition.

They also deal absurd damage at AP 6 and turn enemies into nicely diced cubes.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maticore wrote: »
    Thanatos: Do you have access to any of the dark heresy books? A Rosarius or force field of some kind (preferably the rosarius) will go a long, long way to keeping a Melee character alive.
    Ehhh, I'd rather not start pulling things out of other supplements quite yet.
    Otherwise a power fist is going to get alot of mileage and is a great character piece. I would still worry about losing parry though. Unless you intend to use the power fist in one hand and the power sword in the other. In this case you deserve some kind of award.
    Why the award? This seems like the no-brainer way to do it, since the power sword gets a +15 to parry, and ambidexterity is only 200xp for me at rank 1. It does seem quite badass; on the other hand, the Subskin Armor bumps me from 10 AP everywhere to 12 AP everywhere but my head, which seems like a good boost to the "keep my ass alive" factor.
    Another really great weapon for a Melee character, since you'll actually get close enough to use them, is monofilament grenades. Which at extremely rare for a single man are an automatic starting acquisition.

They also deal absurd damage at AP 6 and turn enemies into nicely diced cubes.
    I hadn't even really looked at grenades. Are they considered thrown weapons, though? Because I don't have thrown weapon proficiency.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't even think there was a proficiency for thrown weapons.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    I didn't even think there was a proficiency for thrown weapons.
    There is, and most people don't get it until attaining a pretty high rank.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eh, who cares? If you miss with thrown weapons it just deviates. And then still blows people up.

SJ on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eh, who cares? If you miss with thrown weapons it just deviates. And then still blows people up.

Usually me.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can't buy weapons with your initial acquisition that you're not proficient with.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You're considering starting with a powerfist but you grenades aren't allowed?

And you can just buy them after you start the game up.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How well would they even work if he is not proficient with thrown weapons?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'm proficient with a power fist, so I can start with that; I'm not proficient with grenades, so I can't start with them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, you can start with them using your regular profit factor, you just can't use your freebie acquisition on them.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man looking at the ridiculous amounts of power granted to rogue traders I am at loss as to how they could ramp up Deathwatch unless they allow you to actually alter the course of the 40K universe.

Actually my friend and I were discussing this and the only way we could imagine it going is that the Deathwatch actually secretly parley with alien races and that the game will be all about the vast network of secret allegiances, xenos politics and the Deathwatch's vigorous efforts at keeping them a secret.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I'm proficient with a power fist, so I can start with that; I'm not proficient with grenades, so I can't start with them.

You can just buy them right after the game starts. You don't have to use your initial whatevertheheck to buy them.

SJ on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, you're in luck. "Throwing Grenades requires no special training or Talents..."
    Looks to me like everyone is proficient in grenades, probably because pulling a pin and throwing is a lot easier than trying to throw a knife so the pointy bit hits the target rather than the not pointy bit.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Also, you're in luck. "Throwing Grenades requires no special training or Talents..."
    Looks to me like everyone is proficient in grenades, probably because pulling a pin and throwing is a lot easier than trying to throw a knife so the pointy bit hits the target rather than the not pointy bit.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!

If you have intimidation, you can pull the pin and NOT throw it. Hostage situations are a thing of the past.

"Brick, where'd you get a hand grenade?"
    "I don't know."

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    MalfaelMalfael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if there's a 'Powerful Shit' supplement coming out for Rogue Trader, at some point. Looking at the Inquisitor's Handbook, there are some very interesting gadgets. The Rosarius, for example. And Hexogramatic Wards... Blessed Weapons, Psy-Jammers... Drusine Incense, Torpor...

In fact, I do believe I've just outlined Mano's acquisition path.

It will be interesting to see how they scale the gadgets for RT...

Malfael on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Amigu wrote: »
    Man looking at the ridiculous amounts of power granted to rogue traders I am at loss as to how they could ramp up Deathwatch unless they allow you to actually alter the course of the 40K universe.

Actually my friend and I were discussing this and the only way we could imagine it going is that the Deathwatch actually secretly parley with alien races and that the game will be all about the vast network of secret allegiances, xenos politics and the Deathwatch's vigorous efforts at keeping them a secret.

You don't know anything about how badass a space marine is, do you, you silly goose?

Think of it this way: Every character has unnatural strength x2 and unnatural toughness x2.

You fight multiple mega-armored nobs and lictors in combats.

plus

Two Words: Betcher's Gland.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [strike]Two[/strike]Four Words: [strike]Betcher's Gland[/strike] They have acid spit.

Some of them can also breath in water.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you're an Iron Snake you can even make it to like twenty meters with your acid spit.

But Imperial fists get shafted on acid spit.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you're an Iron Snake you can even make it to like twenty meters with your acid spit.

You have to go Space Wolves. Leman Russ is easily the coolest primarch. Doesn't take himself seriously like that prat Guilliman.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You have to go Space Wolves. Leman Russ is easily the coolest primarch. Doesn't take himself seriously like that prat Guilliman.

I really am expecting the equivalent of backgrounds for Deathwatch to be Chapter of Origin.

Anything less and I will nerdrage.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Deathwatch is a long way off, I think. There was a couple years of Dark Heresy stuff before RT was even announced. Has Deathwatch even been given a release year?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No.

But that does not stop me from being excited about the prospects.

First I want a book of ship hulls, parts, weapons, and premade NPC ships for Rogue Trader.

And I want a Rogue Trader Xenos Bestiary.

EDIT: I am full of demands today.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WH40k is such a badass setting. So many possibilities in it too, from Inquisitor's pawns (DH) to Muhreens, to goddamn space pirates. Wonderful.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I really am expecting the equivalent of backgrounds for Deathwatch to be Chapter of Origin.

Anything less and I will nerdrage.
    That's pretty much what I'm expecting too. Instead of planets of origin or backgrounds you choose a chapter (or geneseed for successors).

Ultramarines are the bog standard "Imperial World" equivalent. Blood Angels get bonuses, but need to test WP to keep the black rage down. Iron Hands start out with hella bionics. ETC.

Frankly, though, I'm just waiting for the book that has all the ships they seem to have cut out of the main book.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You don't know anything about how badass a space marine is, do you, you silly goose?

Think of it this way: Every character has unnatural strength x2 and unnatural toughness x2.

You fight multiple mega-armored nobs and lictors in combats.

plus

Two Words: Betcher's Gland.

Oh dude I am reading the Horus Heresy series at the moment I'm pretty aware of their bad assery. The thing is though whilst you might get a big nerdgasm over marine scale combat, just upscaling the combat doesn't make an entire new game. Think about the jump between Dark Heresy to Rogue Trader they must have a card up their sleave here that we don't know about yet!

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    they must have a card up their sleave here that we don't know about yet!

Titan Legions.
    First I want a book of ship hulls, parts, weapons, and premade NPC ships for Rogue Trader.

And I want a Rogue Trader Xenos Bestiary.

I want the ability to give up weapons slots to install flight decks.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Weapons and Strike Craft are two very different beasts. The amount of supporting personnel and equipment Strike Craft require to be maintained is much more than conventional weapons.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, Deathwatch should be cool as hell. I wonder how they will work it though, since lots of cool chapters really dislike the Inquisition. Being able to play an Iron Hands marine would be awesome, they are my favorite, but the Iron Hands work with the AdMech instead of with the Inquisition, if memory serves.

I guess it is kind of a whole Imperium combination force, never mind.

also, RE: RT-- man, I want to get into some combat. Things are going pretty well at this party, I think. We should find some action soon.

PJ is really doing a good job laying out the setting and everything. It feels very 40k, or at least how I imagine it. (I haven't read anything aside from the DH books and the RT books, and lots of wh40k wikis.)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deathwatch is a long way off, I think. There was a couple years of Dark Heresy stuff before RT was even announced. Has Deathwatch even been given a release year?

Dark Heresy was released in February 2008; if Fantasy Flight remains on track and keeps up the same pace they did with Rogue Trader, I'd assume we'll be hearing some announcements on Deathwatch by the end of the year.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Weapons and Strike Craft are two very different beasts. The amount of supporting personnel and equipment Strike Craft require to be maintained is much more than conventional weapons.

1255878805416.png

You were saying?

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I always giggle at the fact that there is this gigantic robot arm holding the weapon, and still a bunch of dudes have to manually pull it back to reload.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I always giggle at the fact that there is this gigantic robot arm holding the weapon, and still a bunch of dudes have to manually pull it back to reload.

Just to give people a sense of scale here...
    Ships.jpg

The ship below the Retribution class is a Nyx. For reference I sized this using the 14.75 km figure for the Erebus.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You were saying?

I'm sorry, do you actually think that makes me wrong? Pressganging a few thousand dudes into pulling a giant arm back is going to be considerably cheaper than a half a dozen Crew Chiefs for a flight deck. Remember, this is 40k.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You were saying?

I'm sorry, do you actually think that makes me wrong? Pressganging a few thousand dudes into pulling a giant arm back is going to be considerably cheaper than a half a dozen Crew Chiefs for a flight deck. Remember, this is 40k.

Correction, this is Rogue Trader. Cost is irrelevant.

Besides, even macrocannons need an army of ordained tech priests to apply ungluents and kick the right consoles in the right order.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You were saying?

Besides, even macrocannons need an army of ordained tech priests to apply ungluents and kick the right consoles in the right order.

Cost is irrelevant my ass. The whole point of the game is money. It's not just people costs, but material. Having to constantly buy stuff to reload/re-arm/refit a couple of strike wings, as well as the training of people to fly them, replacing combat losses... this isn't grunt-level cost, this's high tech, rare stuff.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Cost is irrelevant my ass. The whole point of the game is money.

Yeah, but you can, like.... buy whole ships (with a very good extended acquisition test of course). Depending on your GM and what kind of game you're running, you could probably buy a planet*, or at the very least conquer and enslave one.

"BUY A PLANET? WHAT'LL IT COST MAN, WHAT'LL IT COST?"
    "A box of these."
    "Are you crazy? They'll never go for it. And then again they might. Those little red devils... they love toys!"
    "Sign here, sir."
    blazingsaddles1.jpg

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg