Options

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader RPG Discussion

• Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    Ripping holes in space close to anything of interest is not ok.

Difference in priorities 8-)

Y'ever seen that episode of Babylon 5 when they open a jump point inside of a jump point?

Yeah, your ship isn't that fast.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ripping holes in space close to anything of interest is not ok.

Difference in priorities 8-)

Y'ever seen that episode of Babylon 5 when they open a jump point inside of a jump point?

Yeah, your ship isn't that fast.

That's what you think 8-)

SJ on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Maticore wrote: »
    Remember that you're about 99% likely to have your ship torn to pieces by warp-tides and Gravitic forces too.

I've NEVER read a time in 40K fluff where a ship or anyone on its crew, or anyone nearby, has survived trying to jump inside a system.

Hulks? Orks?
    I mean they did blow up a moon to alter the course of a space hulk

Beat me to it.

The gestalt psychic power of a large WAAAAAGH seems able to draw Hulks out of the warp into close orbit around planets. The Tyranids also seem able to appear wherever they wish, but in their case it's more that they bend the warp to serve their will (causing a massive bow-wave storm around their hivefleets).

Craftworld ships use large webways and avoid the open warp like the plague. The Tau don't prefer warp travel and have their own less effective form of FTL. I don't think anyone has even tried to explain what the Necrons do.

It's worth noting that Hulks EXIT the warp near planets and then crash - the integrity of the ship isn't a concern at all.

Tyranids simply ride the shadow in the warp - they're usually invisible until they're right on top of everyone until that. I can't recall any situation where it's stated they ignore that rule of warp travel and mostly recall times when you know they're coming because they come out on the outer limits of a system and then go in.

The Eldar and Necrons are completely and totally not relevant to any discussion of technology that the PCs of a rogue trader game can use or have access to - they get to break the rules whenever they want because of the webway (for Eldar) and lolwin (for necrons).

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's worth noting that Hulks EXIT the warp near planets and then crash - the integrity of the ship isn't a concern at all.

Typically they use Roks for landings when they have them. But yes, the Orks swear by Admiral Ozzel's tactics.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, I'm not sure where the 'hulks exit near planets then crash' thing is coming from, as that's pretty damn rare. And actually Orks didn't use Roks as landing platforms until Ghazghkull began using them in the 3rd Armorgeddum war (it's one of the things that took the Imperium so much by surprise, as well as having a trailing fleet of rocks behind your invasion fleet keeping you protected from harassment by Imperial vessels). I doubt the practice is all that wide-spread yet, but I'm sure enough Orky generals 'n such have heard about it that it's spread to other segmentums by now. With assuredly hilarious results :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think I read that in the book 'Fifteen Hours' - it was what happened in that war - the ork hulk crashed on the planet after exiting warp nearby.

But that is one single incident and I suppose it is probably way beyond me to take it as something that happens alot.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think I read that in the book 'Fifteen Hours' - it was what happened in that war - the ork hulk crashed on the planet after exiting warp nearby.

But that is one single incident and I suppose it is probably way beyond me to take it as something that happens alot.

Cain remarks on Rok-crashing a bunch but his stuff takes place in the 900's so by then it's a well known exploit.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank you, this has been very informative.

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Cain remarks on Rok-crashing a bunch but his stuff takes place in the 900's so by then it's a well known exploit.

Well, his books are all written from the vantage point of his character in the early 42nd millennium (which is so far the furthest point in the existing timeline), so well after things like the Armageddon war have started. He's got hind sight and Inquisitorial clearances on his side :p

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, his books are all written from the vantage point of his character in the early 42nd millennium (which is so far the furthest point in the existing timeline), so well after things like the Armageddon war have started. He's got hind sight and Inquisitorial clearances on his side :p

Checked the citing in the book I read - it's late millenium - so it makes sense that it's fairly widespread.

Ghazghkull was such a smarty.

Maticore on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About to get into combat. Not sure about this grid and everything, I haven't played many rpgs.
    (playing in wave)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And Etherwind's twisted Astropath is going to be active when we get back to the ship, so that will be interesting to say the least.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question regarding endeavors : In the event that I wish to establish a trade route between two worlds. Say a world wgich produces adamantium and promethium, and a manufacturing world. There is no contact between the two. I happen to have warp route. I secured trade agreements from the resource producing one. I can theoretically do the same on the other world.

Who is going to carry the goods from one world to the next ? How does shipping work exactly ? Are there freighters for hire somewhere ?

Surely I don't have to go and buy transports...

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A Rogue Trader who only owned one ship wouldn't be much of a Rogue Trader.

While you take your flagship around the galaxy doing the important acquisitions and negotiations, your fleets are constantly trading with established partners. They are the ones who generate your profit factor. They aren't necessary to stat because you aren't dealing with them on a day-to-day basis - if your ships are having trouble with a shipping route or are being attacked by pirates in an area or something, then that simply becomes another Endeavor.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What a good Black Library book to read about the AdMech?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A Rogue Trader who only owned one ship wouldn't be much of a Rogue Trader.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAhahahahaha ha .... ha..... I'm sad now.

You heard the man, Stone. We're gonna get us a navigator, we're gonna go out, were gonna find the missing ship and make it ours, we're gonna board Fel's ship and take it and it's navigator, and then we're gonna find you a nice big Commodore's hat and go track down your family's fleet.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You already have ships, but they do the mundane shipping and such for you while you go off and do exciting things - they don't hang out with you, which is why they are a non-issue when generating your ship and dynasty.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You already have ships, but they do the mundane shipping and such for you while you go off and do exciting things - they don't hang out with you, which is why they are a non-issue when generating your ship and dynasty.

Cynic blew them up. Hermenegilde is the proud leader of a single Light Cruiser.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was actually asking regarding to another game. That is pretty much what I thought. How about if the Rogue Trader somehow doesn't have any other ships ?

and Gothic, with our 31 profit factor, we hardly own vast fleets. Which doesn't say we don't have some freighters carting stuff around in Imperial Space. We just don't have any now, or to spare.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Entered combat for the first time in RT today. The Captain, the Arch-Militant and my guy the Navigator were all meeting and greeting Nobles at a planetary celebration. Things were going pretty well. All of the sudden, explosions. The nearby city blows up, waiters start blowing up and shooting the guests.

We were all outside of the ballroom when this happened, which raises some questions.

Anyway, the Militant and I decide to start shooting waiters. We beat them in initiative, shoot at the dude in front of us, just inside the ballroom. My guy Zanus shot him with a hellpistol, after Ziel shot him with a revolver. His face is burnt to hell and he is blind, maybe we can interrogate him later.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hard to say, there's Mechanicum - but that's set 10,000 years before rogue trader.

They don't really exist.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hard to say, there's Mechanicum - but that's set 10,000 years before rogue trader.

They don't really exist.

Well, Dan wrote Titanicus but... it was Dan who wrote it.

Dan Abnett suffers from Stackpole syndrome... a mental disorder common to slash fanfic writers that shares some symptoms with Tourette syndrome. Sufferers have a compulsive need "nuke the fridge" and thus inject as much awesome into their stories as possible in defiance of established lore or previously outlined backstory. The syndrome is almost always fatal as the sufferer is usually bludgeoned to death by angry fans and then burned on a pile of their books.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

They don't really exist.

Dan Abnett suffers from Stackpole syndrome... a mental disorder common to slash fanfic writers that shares some symptoms with Tourette syndrome. Sufferers have a compulsive need "nuke the fridge" and thus inject as much awesome into their stories as possible in defiance of established lore or previously outlined backstory. The syndrome is almost always fatal as the sufferer is usually bludgeoned to death by angry fans and then burned on a pile of their books.
    I liked Titanicus. It is pretty stupid to try to make 40k canon make since so just take whatever you like from it and say it is canon in your game. This is a universe where space orangutans make junge gym space ships and laser jewelry after all.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Neaden wrote: »

They don't really exist.

I liked Titanicus. It is pretty stupid to try to make 40k canon make since so just take whatever you like from it and say it is canon in your game. This is a universe where space orangutans make junge gym space ships and laser jewelry after all.

Yeah.

At one point in the fluff the Inquisition would routinely purge entire regiments of Imperial Guard who had come into contact with Chaos for fear that they were tainted. Marines who fought against Chaos weren't killed but the Catalepsean Node allowed them to be mindwiped of the experience. This was back in, like, the Rick Priestly/John Blanche days, too, so it's not new authors fucking up old fluff.

Protip: This means Cadians can't exist.
    Protip: Cadians do exist, and did during that same period.
    Protip: There is no canon in 40k, because all of it is related to us by unreliable narrators speaking from an exclusively Imperial point of view.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    95% of the inconsistencies in the canon can be explained by "the imperium is huge." People on one side do stuff one way and dont know about how the others do it.

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Feygor wrote: »
    95% of the inconsistencies in the canon can be explained by "the imperium is huge." People on one side do stuff one way and dont know about how the others do it.

I mean honestly. It is mind-bogglingly large.

Maticore on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's also highly divided in its doctrines. Our modern nations and organizations don't get along, with each other or even internally (try asking the US congress of the UK's house of Lords what's their countries' 'right' way of dealing with a touchy subject), you think an unmanageably massive feudal space empire doesn't disagree with itself?

Different orders will deal with matters differently, and they won't have access to the same information.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    It's also highly divided in its doctrines. Our modern nations and organizations don't get along, with each other or even internally (try asking the US congress of the UK's house of Lords what's their countries' 'right' way of dealing with a touchy subject), you think an unmanageably massive feudal space empire doesn't disagree with itself?

Different orders will deal with matters differently, and they won't have access to the same information.
    Yeah but this still doesn't explain things like that space marines used to rule little fiefs and have harems while shooting at things with shuriken cannons. Or that Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau is an in canon existing inquisitor.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Neaden wrote: »
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

Yeah but this still doesn't explain things like that space marines used to rule little fiefs and have harems while shooting at things with shuriken cannons. Or that Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau is an in canon existing inquisitor.

Well, no, it doesn't. But it really doesn't have to. You're being a completely silly goose.

The blanket statement used by GW nowadays is 'unless we bring it back, rogue trader and 2E are dead.'

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well this is in reference to Dan Abnett including things in his books that contradict previous canon. If you think something is cool like you really love Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau then include him in your games. Fuck continuity, it can all be true. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff. Ollanius Pius an Imperial Fist and a Custodes can all have run into the Emperor's Battle with Horus if that's what you want in your game.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Captain Aronn, Militant Ziel and Navigator Zanus persevered against chaos waiters!
    That was a fun thing. Bad rolls for us and good rolls for them made those waiters difficult. I blamed Zan's bad rolls on the booze being considerably stronger than what he had in his cabinet on the Last Word.

Summary of the ball room massacre

The three of us-- Lord Captain Aronn von Barsymes, Arch-Militant Ziel Vendigroth, and Navigator Zanus Hieronymus-- were meeting and greeting at a huge party. All of the important people from the entire planet were there to celebrate the anniversary of Balmorne's liberation/conquering. Things are going well.

We step outside to talk to Governor Mordechai Talvus. Explosions interrupt us-- the nearest city explodes, waiters start exploding and shooting everyone. The three of us engage them in combat after the crowd stampedes out of the ballroom.

Ziel and Zanus shoot one guy in the face, he survives. Cap Aronn misses a guy. No tunr for the waiters, we surprise them somehow.

Ziel then engages the headshot waiter with his mono-sword and misses. Zanus runs down the terrace to another waiter. Ziel's waiter attacks with a cheese knife, to no effect. Zan's opponent also attacks with a cheese knife. The Navigator fails the parry, but the knife doesn't make it past his xeno-mesh. Another waiter shoots at the Captain and misses. The Captain moves to cover and shoots, shooting a waiter in the guts.

Ziel shoots the headshot guy again, Zanus swings and misses with his best-craft staff. Another waiter assists the wounded waiter, flanking Ziel. Zanus's waiter tries his pistol at point blank range. The Navigator hits the weapon with his staff, sending the shot wide. Cap Aronn dodges a bullet and shoots one of the waiters fighting Ziel.. That waiter was carrying explosives, which explode, maiming the other waiter.

Ziels shoots the exploded waiter to finish him off, and misses the second. Zanus then misses his foe at blank range. The waiters in melee with Ziel and Zanus have no success. Two waiters shoot at Cap, who dodges both blasts and charges one of them, shooting him through the table.

Ziel says something badass and attempts to finish off his waiter, but the waiter proves lively and knocks the gun wide as it fires. Zanus finally hits his waiter, with a vicious blow to the midsection, dropping him. Ziel's waiter misses, and one of the waiters who had been shooting at the Captain attacks Zanus. Zanus dodges the wrong way and takes two damage. A waiter shoots at and charges the Captain, only to have his legs shot out of from under him. The dying waiter lands on the Captain.

The Captain yells "Take one alive!" and Ziel grapples his hardy opponent. Zanus opens the visor on his helmet and reveals his third eye, burning him with visions of the Warp. Ziel holds on to his waiter, and the Captain tackles the warp-shocked waiter.

Mere moments later, Gov Talvus shows up with his face all torn up and a contingent of Guard. The Governor thanks us for taking two alive.
    End session, everyone earns 100xp.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe this is more suited to this general wh40k RP thread.

I love this game, but some things are weird. Take the Navigator powers "held in my gaze" and "the lidless stare." Both can be found on page 180. First, you can't have a lidded stare-- that would be silly, you would just be facing someone with your eyes closed.

"Held" pretty much traps someone while you stare at them, unless the target is a daemon. If it is a daemon, they also take damage. Otherwise, they are just frozen.

"Stare" stuns the target by showing them a peek of the warp. It deals energy damage. It inflicts fatigue on the Navigator.

These two powers seem nearly identical. You stare at a target, bad stuff happens. It also seems weird that using the eye on normal person fatigues the Navigator(stare), while using the eye on a psyker/daemon(gaze)-- which should be more difficult, since they are more familar with the Warp, does not fatigue.

Am I missing something?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's easier to show a psyker/daemon the warp, because they are familiar with it. A normal person has no link with the warp, thus it takes more out of you to do so.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's easier to show a psyker/daemon the warp, because they are familiar with it. A normal person has no link with the warp, thus it takes more out of you to do so.

I see what you mean, but by the same... thought line... would showing a psyker or a daemon the warp scare them stiff? I imagine it being more work to use the Warp to freeze a psyker or a deamon. Daemons are from the warp, psykers use it for their powers. And the ones with the burnt-out eyes use it to see somehow.

Gaze seems to interfere with psyker powers, jamming them if you will. That should be more work than showing the warp to a normal person.

It makes more sense for "held in my gaze" to fatigue.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I see what you mean, but by the same... thought line... would showing a psyker or a daemon the warp scare them stiff? I imagine it being more work to use the Warp to freeze a psyker or a deamon. Gaze seems to interfere with psyker powers, jamming them if you will. That should be more work than showing the warp to a normal person.

The warp is a fucked up place and nothing, barring greater daemons and upwards, is immune to being scared stiff by something found there.

Look at it like this. A normal person is an empty glass far from any source of water. A psyker is a bowl below a faucet. Which is easier to fill with water?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I see what you mean, but by the same... thought line... would showing a psyker or a daemon the warp scare them stiff? I imagine it being more work to use the Warp to freeze a psyker or a deamon. Gaze seems to interfere with psyker powers, jamming them if you will. That should be more work than showing the warp to a normal person.

The warp is a fucked up place and nothing, barring greater daemons and upwards, is immune to being scared stiff by something found there.

Look at it like this. A normal person is an empty glass far from any source of water. A psyker is a bowl below a faucet. Which is easier to fill with water?

I guess that make senses. Psykers already have a link to the warp, making it easier to direct horrible visions or whatever to them. Normals have no capacity for viewing the warp without being in the warp, so the Navigator has to force a channel open, so to speak.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The navigator's stare that kills is called "The Lidless Stare" because supposedly you can feel the eye looking at you even if the lid is closed.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eh, silly geese must have written it or something. It is an awkward term. That is neat about feeling the eye watching, but the wording is really weird. Baleful eye is probably a better term for it, but that is used for the laser eye implant.

There is a lot of awkward writing in this book. It is a kickass setting though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I seem to read the rules that while you can't attack twice in the same round with two half-actions, you can attack once and stun once, or attack once and knock-down once; is that accurate?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know the thing about those Navigator powers is that they affect everyone not just enemies, right?

DarkPrimus on