As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest On/Recruitment] oWoD Vampire

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    we could always have Cain drive us around in a taxi cab :)

Egos on
  • Options
    Harmonic DrakeHarmonic Drake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That presents an interesting dilemma. Would he devour you, as his need to feed would be beyond legendary, or would he ignore you, as even if he did consume you, you wouldn't present any sustenance to him whatsoever? Speaking of, does he even need to feed?

Edit: INNSalt let me know that you were talking about Bloodlines, but I never played it, so forgive my ignorance.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    hehe my Cain as a taxi driver reference was Bloodlines also :)

For some reason I'd imagine anything less than an Antediluvian wouldn't tempt him.

TBH I could see him just being this immortal that shows up and just doesn't really care. Despite all the prophecies.

Egos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Egos wrote: »

For some reason I'd imagine anything less than an Antediluvian wouldn't tempt him.

TBH I could see him just being this immortal that shows up and just doesn't really care. Despite all the prophecies.

if any vampire had achieved golconda, wouldn't it be cain?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

One would think so. Unless the storyteller felt the need to introduce some historical Vampire Buddha.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Why would Caine have reached Goldconda? He's been tormented since near the beginning of time by God for being a murderer. Never resting, never feeling peace.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I honestly think if Cain ever reached Golconda, it'd neccessitate that he accepted his own fault in what happened to him, truly regretted it, and sought forgiveness, and thus met all the requirements to BE forgiven and have his vampiric curse lifted.

Which would, incidentally, probably eliminate vampirism from the planet.

Whether it would do it peacefully or violently is the subject of an entire Gehenna chronicle.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I honestly think if Cain ever reached Golconda, it'd neccessitate that he accepted his own fault in what happened to him, truly regretted it, and sought forgiveness, and thus met all the requirements to BE forgiven and have his vampiric curse lifted.

Which would, incidentally, probably eliminate vampirism from the planet.

Whether it would do it peacefully or violently is the subject of an entire Gehenna chronicle.

Hey. You. You're getting your wisdom all over my thread.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's pretty heavily implied that Caine is seeking forgiveness for his actions, especially in the Gehenna book. He wants his children to stop the constant in-fighting and bickering and such.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's as may be, but he hasn't found it yet, after however-many years, so I'm inclined to believe Krata's take on it, that while he may want to find forgiveness, he's unwilling to admit that he was at fault.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can probably drive, but I wasn't going to put anything in dexterity...

Delmain on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think God is particularly interested in forgiving Cain anyway.

But who says Golconda has anything to do with getting God to forgive you? It's not a cure for vampirism, after all.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't think God is particularly interested in forgiving Cain anyway.

But who says Golconda has anything to do with getting God to forgive you? It's not a cure for vampirism, after all.

It does, however, require you to genuinely seek to atone for all the bad things you've done.

Caine was the first person to ever commit murder.

Atoning for that is sort of his thing.

Also, CJ, it pretty well flat out says in Gehenna that if Caine really wants forgiveness all he really needs to do is genuinely mean it rather than expecting it.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1 driver. 7 vamps.

Sure hope the car isn't a Smart. :P

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can see it now.

Everyone sitting in the back of a giant van with Delmain shouting "DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS THING AROUND!"

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, first of all, thank you for linking me to a good online V:tM sheet site. The last one I found was, ah ... let's just call it 'bad' and move on.

I suppose since everyone's comfortable with their Clans, we can move on to sheets. Remember, though, I want you guys to have at least a superficial reason to stick together, even if it's just about forming alliances. You're here to protect the city, after all, and that can best be done by realizing you all need to work together.

For now, at least.

Well, JD, first thing is that you can't go above three for any Ability before Freebies, so Politics needs to come down. Second, I'd recommend taking Auspex because even if you just take the first level, that's a significant boost to your already prominent Perception rolls. I know CJ will probably take Auspex too, but having more than one is always a plus (it means less chances to fail).

Status in this game is a multi-type trait, like Influence. Who are you high in Status with? The city as a whole, or your Clan, or someone else?

Also, Hypersensitive, is that the Lasombra light flaw? You're going to need some pretty good reasoning for taking that as a Toreador. Most of your time will be spent around Elysium or Toreador events when you're not off putting bullets in Sabbat, and those are fairly well lit.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to bring your Strength up to two. I know that you're a Firearms fighter, but for those occasions where you absolutely have to rely on your own brute strength, having a one means you're barely able to carry yourself around. It's common to want to boost the catch-all action trait, but having low Strength and Stamina means you're the typical skinny, short princess who bruises just from bumping into a lamppost or something (and it makes your soak pool completely crappy). In the beginning, I'm not sure it's worth taking the penalty like that just to get an early leg up on your enemies.

Everything else looks good, though your high Self-Control will come in handy when you react to your Clan weakness. It might not save you, but it will be nice to have some measure of self-control compared to your Clanmates (also, since you're Appearance 4, you could very well succumb to your weakness just by seeing a reflective surface). There's nothing specifically violent about Bon Vivant or Gallant. Maybe you're thinking of Bravo and Gallant? The Bravo is the bully, the tormentor. Bon Vivant is more a reveler, someone who wants to have fun because they live for the moment, and lives for the moment because they want to have fun.

Edit: I guess I should put the rules up, just in case anyone's confused about what the character generation stats are.
    Attributes: 7/5/3 (start with one dot in each)
    Abilities: 13/9/5 (can't go above three at this point)
    Backgrounds: 5
    Disciplines: 3
    Virtues: 7 (start with one dot in each)
    Humanity: Total of beginning Conscience + Self-Control (no Paths allowed)
    Willpower: Total of Courage
    (Note: Raising Virtues with freebies doesn't raise Humanity/Willpower)
    Blood Pool: 10 for 13th Gen, 11 for 12th Gen and 12 for 11th Gen, 13 for 10th Gen if you get that low
    Merits/Flaws: You can't take more than seven points in Flaws (you can still take the flaws, but you don't get additional points for them), and you can take as many Merits as you can afford (but you pay for all of them).
    Freebies: 15
    Freebie Point Cost
    Attributes: 5
    Abilities: 2
    Backgrounds: 1
    Disciplines: 7 (limited to one dot of extra Disciplines)
    Virtues: 2
    Humanity: 1
    Willpower: 1

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    After looking at the WoD sheet generator, it's apparent they're more interested in nWoD than oWoD (and as of right now I have no plans to run any nWoD games), so if you want to use this site for your basic stats, feel free. You'll still need to have your full sheet here, as there are no dialogue boxes on that site, but it can be useful for quick stat-referencing.
    I can see it now.

Everyone sitting in the back of a giant van with Delmain shouting "DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS THING AROUND!"

Hah! I was envisioning a pick-up truck, but that also works (a pick-up would be better in terms of gunfire, at least).

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Here's my sheet so far; http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/3671

I'll probably tinker around with it for ages, but it's got the basic gist of it (Obfuscate 3, False Reflection and a high stealth). The rest may or may not change.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can see it now.

Hah! I was envisioning a pick-up truck, but that also works (a pick-up would be better in terms of gunfire, at least).

I'm totally going to. I did it irl actually like 3 days ago. It was great.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No problem at all, I expected things like this. The Toreador Clan Flaw isn't listed in the corebook, but I was thinking of Light-Sensitive, so that's my mistake. I guess it's called Hypersensitive, though I've never actually seen it referenced as a flaw players can actually take before. You don't need to reference it as a Flaw, since you don't gain any points for it (but you can if it helps you remember that you have it, your choice). On a related note, the only thing I see with 'Hypersensitive' is the Merit Hypersensitive Palate, which I don't know the description of, but it's a DA: Vampire Merit.

From the core book:
    Gallant
    "Gallants are flamboyant souls, always seeking attention and the chance to be the brightest star. Gallants seek the company of others, if only to earn their adoration. Attention drives the Gallant, and the chase is often as important as fulfilling that pursuit. Nothing excites a Gallant so much as a new audience to woo and win. Performers, only children and those with low self-esteem are often Gallant Archetypes.

- Regain a Willpower point whenever you successfully impress another person. Ultimately, the Storyteller is the arbiter of when you dazzle someone, even in the case of other players' characters."

So, yes, I suppose you could use it as a sort of daredevil persona, but unless you're trying to impress those you intend to hurt or kill (which would be a rather interesting bit of personality) as well as your coterie-mates, they're not going to stay impressed for long.

Status for a Toreador means you're somebody, whether it's to the Clan or the Camarilla. Even one dot means you're a recognized neonate. I haven't decided if I'll hand out Status 1 for free or not, so if you want to spend them elsewhere, feel free.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'll probably tinker around with it for ages, but it's got the basic gist of it (Obfuscate 3, False Reflection and a high stealth). The rest may or may not change.

Hah! I like the chronicle name.

You're limited to one extra dot of Disciplines, so you have to get rid of one of them. Anything out-of-clan I'll need some justification. Who taught you, and who do you owe for teaching you? They're not free, and I'm not just talking about freebie point costs.

Also, you're taking a lot of flaws, are you sure you can live with that? I'm going to need some story behind them. Why you have Sire's Resentment, why are you repelled by crosses, why you have a false reflection, etc.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can drop some dots in drive to even the car bearing load. I will try and have a character together this by sunday to be inspected. Merry Christmas.

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Take your time, I know people are busy. I'm not expecting anything until after the New Years' hangovers are gone.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    A few things to keep in mind for everyone:

If you went to high school, you should have a minimum Academics of 1 and Science of 1 to represent basic education. If you are at all a child of the modern era (anyone under, let's say, 50), you should have a minimum Drive of one. A Computers of 1 wouldnm't be amiss for anyone, since with 0 computers you literally cannot find the power button.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You're limited to one extra dot of Disciplines, so you have to get rid of one of them. Anything out-of-clan I'll need some justification. Who taught you, and who do you owe for teaching you? They're not free, and I'm not just talking about freebie point costs.

Also, you're taking a lot of flaws, are you sure you can live with that? I'm going to need some story behind them. Why you have Sire's Resentment, why are you repelled by crosses, why you have a false reflection, etc.

Oh, right, I read that as 1 out of clan discipline.

As to the Sire's Resentment, that's due to my character reflecting negatively on his Sire by almost getting busted by mortal law, inches away from requiring a major cleanup to uphold the Masquerade.

Being repelled by crosses is due to a standard irish catholic upbringing. His logical side knows that he shouldn't be bothered by crosses, but something in his subconscious refuses to acknowledge it.

False Reflection is a merit, not a flaw, that lets me use Obfuscate on machinery, such as video cameras and such. My fluff for grabbing it is that Noah noticed his master using Mask of a Thousand Faces, and instead of practicing with people, he did it in front of a camera, having never been told that it just doesn't work. Someone was wrong.

It's essentially a freebie point spending table rather than a pure Merit/Flaw listing.

Anyways, updated to sheet based on the discipline restriction.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Oh, right, I read that as 1 out of clan discipline.

As to the Sire's Resentment, that's due to my character reflecting negatively on his Sire by almost getting busted by mortal law, inches away from requiring a major cleanup to uphold the Masquerade.

Being repelled by crosses is due to a standard irish catholic upbringing. His logical side knows that he shouldn't be bothered by crosses, but something in his subconscious refuses to acknowledge it.

False Reflection is a merit, not a flaw, that lets me use Obfuscate on machinery, such as video cameras and such. My fluff for grabbing it is that Noah noticed his master using Mask of a Thousand Faces, and instead of practicing with people, he did it in front of a camera, having never been told that it just doesn't work. Someone was wrong.

It's essentially a freebie point spending table rather than a pure Merit/Flaw listing.

Anyways, updated to sheet based on the discipline restriction.

Right, Merit, was getting caught up in looking at different things. Just for completion's sake, be sure to write a whole sheet in the thread somewhere, so you can write up a full backstory and whatnot. Otherwise it looks good. I'm intrigued by your Attribute choices, you seem like a rather Scarface-esque criminal-type.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Could you specify what you mean by a full sheet? Just the description, backstory and such, in addition to the actual sheet?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah. The stats section of the sheet (including a list of where you spend Freebies and Experience points), and a background history on the character, with a short appearance section. Anything else you want to add is up to you.

Edit: I only ask because the site doesn't have dialogue boxes.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My sheet so far.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/3672

I went with the idea of my character being embraced very recently by a infamous sire who is known to be hedonistic and sloppy in his eating habits. Character is going to have been a homicide investigator who started to connect dots on what his eventually sire really was. Saw being embraced as a way to cheat the death he was facing from (cliche) lung cancer. Retired from his position the character uses his skills and knowledge of the local law enforcement to assist in maintaining the masquerade for a price with a large amount of his energy focused on what his own sire does.

For the Venture weakness I decided the character can only feed on adults that have character flaws he thinks he can manipulate. I dont know if this is outside of canon ie does the Venture weakness mean he must feed on specific people like W A S P S, or females.

Jack Of All Trades from a youth spent moving from thing to thing and varying hobbies.
    Status from being a well known and liked recent retired officer (8 years ago).
    Herd from three individuals he helped get away with homicide.

I have a backstory for the dark secret and some inner motivations involving the Herd but I dont know if that's for everyone in the game to know or not.

Suggestions welcome.

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I'm guessing it's not done, which is why dots and such are missing, so I'll let that slide, but go ahead and take all the dots out of the Skills and Knowledges you aren't trained in. I have an easier way to handle the Jack of All Trades Merit than that.

Also, having helped known felons, I don't think you'd be at a Humanity of 7, but rather six. Moving a dot from Conscience to Courage (and saving yourself two freebies is a bonus) will drop you down to six. Not to mention covering up for a debased creature of the night who leaves bloody messes that you don't try to stop also accounts for a lower Humanity.

Also, Status with mortal institutions doesn't really work. Status specifically means being known among the Kindred community. Taking Influence in the local Fairhaven Police Department would be a better use of those dots (either splitting it into one dot of Influence and one dot of Clan or Camarilla Status, or putting both dots in Influence). Also, you might want to raise Resources to at least three dots; I know Ventrue don't have to be stereotypically wealthy, but it does help (especially bribing all those officers since your Clan isn't going to help with that and you'll have to do it out-of-pocket). Also, your Blood Pool is 11, not 12.

Finally, your Ventrue feeding restriction is ... unclear. You would need to sit and study every human you considered feeding from (or feeding solely from your Herd, which isn't easy since healing blood loss isn't exactly an easy thing for a mortal). The Ventrue Clan Weakness means rarefied tastes, to an extreme. You technically could take that, but something like 'women over twenty with blonde hair' or 'old white politicians' or 'Type A+ blood types' (which might necessitate using Dominate to find out unless you're fine with just asking random people on the street what their blood type is). Things like that.

I think I'm going to House Rule the Jack-of-All-Trades (I don't have the book on me, so let me know what it does specifically) Merit. You don't gain any penalties while rolling for any of the ten basic Vampire Skills that you're untrained in (normally you'd gain a +1 difficulty), and you're allowed to make rolls for any of the basic ten Vampire Knowledges you aren't trained in (normally you'd not be allowed to roll for that, since you can 'fake' knowing what you're talking about, but can't pull information out of thin air and be correct; bluffing is Manipulation + Subterfuge).

You can PM the info on your sire and Dark Secret, you don't have to put it on the main page.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Jack-Of-All-Trades 5 pt Merit
    You have a large pool of miscellaneous skills and knowledge
    obtained through your extensive travels, the jobs you've held,
    or just all-around know-how. You automatically have one dot
    in all Skill and Knowledge Dice Pools. This is an illusory
    level, used only to simulate a wide range of abilities. If
    the character trains or spends experience in the Skill or
    Knowledge, he must pay the point cost for the first level
    a "second time" before raising the Skill or Knowledge to
    two dots.

Yea I guess I ment with the Venture thing that he could only feed on those with obvious flaws so as to follow a code like he did when he was an officer, being cruel to those he deemed unworthy, but I think I will scrap that and come up with something else that fits the blue bloods theme better.

Feygor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can still feed only on criminals. For example, you could go out and actively look for criminals (in which case any Hunting rolls means you're prowling the streets watching for crimes), or you could feed while in the middle of tracking down criminals.

Yeah, go ahead and change Jack-of-All-Trades to my house-rule, it'll make things easier.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can still feed only on criminals. For example, you could go out and actively look for criminals (in which case any Hunting rolls means you're prowling the streets watching for crimes), or you could feed while in the middle of tracking down criminals.

Feygor's character secretly has a few bounty hunters that allow him to take a drink or two before the turn in their criminals :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, go ahead and change Jack-of-All-Trades to my house-rule, it'll make things easier.

I'd suggest reduing it from a 5 point Merit to a 2 or 3 point Merit then, since you're essentially taking an extra die away from him on all JoaT rolls.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Edit: So I talked with Krata, and he helped me clear up what was confusing me about JoAT. So consider it the normal 5pt Merit it was, Feygor. You don't have to put any dots in your sheet, to keep confusion to a minimum; just assume you're trained in the basic 10 Skills and Knowledges on the sheet that you don't put dots in. You don't take the penalties others do, which I guess was one-half of the Merit's value.

My mistake.

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheet: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/3709

I think I balanced it out right.

In addition to his studious habits, Stewart's also a known writer of mild repute. He's contributed essays and articles to the occasional news medium, and spoken here and there at literary gatherings.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sheet: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/3709

I think I balanced it out right.

In addition to his studious habits, Stewart's also a known writer of mild repute. He's contributed essays and articles to the occasional news medium, and spoken here and there at literary gatherings.

I applaud you going high-Conscience, but that's going to make being a Tremere difficult. Your Willpower is also too low (by Tremere standards). You should have between a five and seven. I'd say drop a dot from Conscience into Courage and bump WP up about two to three points.

You overspent on Freebies (15 is the limit unless you take Flaws, you spent 17), and I'm not sure what Media, Occult and Universities are. Influences? Also, your blood pool is 11, not 12.

What's your Acute Sense, since you only put one point in it? And why the Enchanting Voice, out of curiosity? Also, if he's a writer, why no dots in Expression? That's the creative Talent, the one used for writing (poetry, discourses, novels), plus lyrics for music (though Performance handles the actual singing). Screenplays, articles and all of that are handled under Expression.

Remember guys, to type out your sheet in a post in this thread, too. I want some backstories. Anything you feel that needs to be private (like a Dark Secret) you can PM me.

Blood Pool maximum by Generation and Blood Points per turn:

13th gen: 10 (1 blood point/turn)
    12th gen: 11 (1 bp/turn)
    11th gen: 12 (1 bp/turn)
    10th gen: 13 (1 bp/turn)
    9th gen: 14 (2 bp/turn)
    8th gen: 15 (3 bp/turn)

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's counting the free points in Occult from the Tremere advantage, right?

Media, Occult, and University are influences.

I'm going by a somewhat dated sourcebook(re: Laws of the Night), so I could be off.

The book I have says Acute Sense is a one point merit, just for being aware. Probably hearing sense.

Enchanting Voice because he's active at social gatherings.

And my character's 11th Gen, so 12 blood.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That's counting the free points in Occult from the Tremere advantage, right?

Media, Occult, and University are influences.

I'm going by a somewhat dated sourcebook(re: Laws of the Night), so I could be off.

The book I have says Acute Sense is a one point merit, just for being aware. Probably hearing sense.

Enchanting Voice because he's active at social gatherings.

And my character's 11th Gen, so 12 blood.

Laws of the Night is LARP rules.

We'd, ah, prefer you used the actual tabletop rules.

Also, Drake is gone for the day so I'll be answering questions today. I promised not to go mad with power and reign with an iron fist but Drake told me he hadn't asked for any such promise.

Who wants to play with Baba Yaga!

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I'm back. Yes, let's avoid LARP rules and go with straight tabletop.

CJ: That works fine, but Acute Sense is either a one or three point Merit. If you take a one point Merit, you get one sense that's increased (you get a -2 difficulty to use it, and you can combine it with Heightened Senses from Auspex). If you pay three points, all of your senses are increased to a -2 difficulty. Touch and taste don't extend out from your body, but become much more sensitive (you can taste poison in blood or another liquid, and you can feel things a lot more acutely). The three-point version of Acute Senses is from Mage: the Awakening, so it's alright if you didn't know about it.

JDarksun: Sometimes I get stuck on my characters, too. I usually like to reverse-engineer them, by placing dots, then coming up with reasons why they have those dots, but sometimes it breaks down and I'm stuck halfway. Your character's mortal ambitions don't have to die when she does. You can still be a successful night-only entertainer; people expect those who're famous to be eclectic (take the Gorillaz; they played only behind screens during their first few years, no one knew what they looked like and people loved them).

Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]