As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sherlock Holmes

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I'm saying the movie was boring and stupid in my opinion. This is because it was just random events that were explained by Holmes at the end. I vastly prefer mysteries that could hypothetically be figured out by a very perceptive audience.

Geeze.

It could. All the occult shit was a mislead. In fact if you didn't think coma poision when he faked his death then I'd say you need to turn in your geek card

There's a difference between me guessing something because it is a pathetically tired trope and guessing something because there is actually something in the movie that allows an observant viewer to make intelligent guesses.

There was.

Not only that, 90% of it was all in the same scene.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes has never been the sort of character you are supposed to be able to keep up with.

That really depends on your own background.

Sherlock Holmes' mysteries were not that hard to figure out on your own if you're the average modern nerd.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as Watson not noticing a lack of neckmarks, I didn't feel that was an incredibly large blunder. He was checking for a pulse, not examining the body. He just saw him hanged, why would he expect something other than a dead body?

Atomika on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As a historical fashion geek, I must say most of the costumes were simply awesome.

But, seriously ? A leather trenchcoat ? A fedora ??? Man....

McKid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    McKid wrote: »
    As a historical fashion geek, I must say most of the costumes were simply awesome.

But, seriously ? A leather trenchcoat ? A fedora ??? Man....

Yeah, the leather trench was a facepalm moment.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I'm saying the movie was boring and stupid in my opinion. This is because it was just random events that were explained by Holmes at the end. I vastly prefer mysteries that could hypothetically be figured out by a very perceptive audience.

Geeze.

It could. All the occult shit was a mislead. In fact if you didn't think coma poision when he faked his death then I'd say you need to turn in your geek card

There's a difference between me guessing something because it is a pathetically tired trope and guessing something because there is actually something in the movie that allows an observant viewer to make intelligent guesses.

There was.

Really? What exactly what the hint that allowed the intelligent observer to discern the method by which vampire-dude faked his death? I mean other than a two second shot of holmes holding a weird contraption that you have no idea what it is until holmes tells you what it is later.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really? What exactly what the hint that allowed the intelligent observer to discern the method by which vampire-dude faked his death? I mean other than a two second shot of holmes holding a weird contraption that you have no idea what it is until holmes tells you what it is later.

That one is mostly up to a very long tradition of people faking deaths both in stories and in real life.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

That one is mostly up to a very long tradition of people faking deaths both in stories and in real life.

That would make it "me guessing something because it's a pathetically tired trope" and not "guessing something because there is actually something in the movie that allows an observant viewer to make intelligent guesses." then? So you are agreeing with me?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think you're upset that Sherlock Holmes was not a midget from Alpha Centuri who was infected with a cybernetic virus.

Guessing based on outside knowledge and being genre savvy is how HOLMES does it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sherlock Holmes has never been the sort of character you are supposed to be able to keep up with.

Sherlock Holmes' mysteries were not that hard to figure out on your own if you're the average modern nerd.

It's been a while since I read any of them, but I think that if this is true it is only in terms of figuring out who did it for mostly meta reasons. The random esoteric facts necessary, and often the things that he observed in the first place, are not available to the reader prior to him explaining his deduction.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's been a while since I read any of them, but I think that if this is true it is only in terms of figuring out who did it for mostly meta reasons. The random esoteric facts necessary, and often the things that he observed in the first place, are not available to the reader prior to him explaining his deduction.

Like I've said before, the stuff that requires specific and random knowledge is still up to him to put out, but if you can still figure things out on your own at a pretty good clip.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries who first appeared in publication in 1887. He is the creation of Scottish author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.A brilliant London-based "consulting detective",Holmes is famous for his intellectual prowess and is renowned for his skillful use of astute observation, deductive reasoning and forensic skills to solve difficult cases.

Yes....?

Is this some kind of bot or something?

iguanacus on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

Like I've said before, the stuff that requires specific and random knowledge is still up to him to put out, but if you can still figure things out on your own at a pretty good clip.

Actually, the ones I remember give you everything you need to figure it out on your own. The motives might not be perfectly clear, but the data is all there. Sometimes it only showed him eliminating one possibility before showing the one that it was. (When the thief was digging a tunnel from a shop to a bank, in particular.)

My only complaint is that they seemed to have made him a bit more of an ass than he was in the novels. Granted, in those he was a touch too "gentlemanly."

I was also less than pleased with the fighting Holmes. At least, in the beginning he seemed a master fighter at times, then at other times, not so much.

taeric on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    taeric wrote: »

Actually, the ones I remember give you everything you need to figure it out on your own. The motives might not be perfectly clear, but the data is all there. Sometimes it only showed him eliminating one possibility before showing the one that it was. (When the thief was digging a tunnel from a shop to a bank, in particular.)

My only complaint is that they seemed to have made him a bit more of an ass than he was in the novels. Granted, in those he was a touch too "gentlemanly."

I was also less than pleased with the fighting Holmes. At least, in the beginning he seemed a master fighter at times, then at other times, not so much.

He was deliberately taking a bruising in the boxing match because he felt awful about Watson and Watson's lady. vs. the big dude, what do you want? Holmes was clearly trying to manipulate the big dude into making the ship fall on himself, and the big fellow had shrugged off Holmes' strongest hits.
    \

Robman on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    taeric wrote: »

He was deliberately taking a bruising in the boxing match because he felt awful about Watson and Watson's lady. vs. the big dude, what do you want? Holmes was clearly trying to manipulate the big dude into making the ship fall on himself, and the big fellow had shrugged off Holmes' strongest hits.
    \

To me, it seemed like he was more trying out some sort of random experiment about the effects of slapping his opponent instead of directly fighting him, seeing as how when Holmes got serious, he ended the fight pretty quickly.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding the mystery of the lord guy who faked death, I thought they fore shadowed/hinted it and its solution pretty heavily when Watson came in on Holmes and the dog appeared to be dead and Holmes just waved it off as him testing something that would wear off eventually ... hopefully. I hope that makes some sense, even though part of why it is such a strong hint is how many times it has been used in various fake-a-death entertainment pieces.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Great movie. best one I've seen this year

But seriously, I am excited for sequels

as others have said, I would have liked for there to be more of a clue as to what Holmes was thinking when he was investigating, other than the random shots of things he's picking up. I've read a few of the the original's, and they always seemed to at least be able to nudge me in the right direction to find the knowledge to solve the mystery before Holmes does it for me. But, of course, that's an advantage of a novel over a movie: theres more time for details, and you can put down the book and go reseach shit yourself if you feel like it

also, that raven was fucking creepy

Joolander on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just saw this. Avatar was better. Sherlock was too...tiring. At the end, I was just glad it was over. They didn't need the female romantic interest. She was a waste of my time.

I am interested in knowing if there are any old Sherlock movies with Lord Blackwood or Professor Moriarty?

Slider on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    I just saw this. Avatar was better. Sherlock was too...tiring. At the end, I was just glad it was over. They didn't need the female romantic interest. She was a waste of my time.

I am interested in knowing if there are any old Sherlock movies with Lord Blackwood or Professor Moriarty?

Blackwood was created for the film. Moriarty is Holmes' most famous villain.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Just saw this too. It was incredibly boring at a break neck pace. I was more interested in the Victorian era dress and architecture than the plot. They talk too fast for me to understand them.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

Just saw this too. It was incredibly boring at a break neck pace. I was more interested in the Victorian era dress and architecture than the plot. They talk too fast for me to understand them.

Watch more British film and television. They were incredibly easy to understand.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked Jude Law as Watson a whole lot more than Downey Jr. as Holmes. I've always had a man-crush on Jude Law, though, so someone will need to confirm this is their opinion as well before I can register it officially.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked Jude Law as Watson a whole lot more than Downey Jr. as Holmes. I've always had a man-crush on Jude Law, though, so someone will need to confirm this is their opinion as well before I can register it officially.
    Opinion confirmed.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robert Downey Jr is at least twice the actor Jude Law is.

And I am not just referring to Sherlock Holmes here.

Hachface on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I am still on the fence about whether to see this, reviews from friends seem positive on balance, with the most convincing to me being along the lines of "It is kind of neat to see a steampunk-ish version of the city we live in"

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a good movie. Definitely worth a matinee at least. Best if seen with friends.

Quid on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, so...
    Lord Blackwood's plan was to sacrifice virgins, fake his own death, and then murder all of parliament so as to convince his cultish friends that he had become a master of the dark arts, which somehow enables him to take over America?

What?

Talka on
  • Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the idea of killing all the members of parliament was to convince the entire country that he was a master of the dark arts, thus allowing him to seize control, and then invade the US, which was weakened by the civil war, and reclaim it for Britain.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the idea of killing all the members of parliament was to convince the entire country that he was a master of the dark arts, thus allowing him to seize control, and then invade the US, which was weakened by the civil war, and reclaim it for Britain.

This is a dumb plot.

Talka on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was the longest episode of House I've ever seen. Watson was Foreman during that season where he spent a million episodes threatening to leave.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Talka wrote: »

This is a dumb plot.

Fear will keep the local systems in check. Fear of this battle station.
    I mean magic powers.. I mean wireless devices.

Honestly this movie is on par with just about every other detective novel ever made. It is also awesome and worth every penny to go see.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Watch more British film and television. They were incredibly easy to understand.

How were they hard to understand? It was like English, Simple Edition..

edit: Of course it was an episode of House. Or rather House is a series of episodes of Sherlock Holmes - Modern Day Medical Mysteries.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He was deliberately taking a bruising in the boxing match because he felt awful about Watson and Watson's lady. vs. the big dude, what do you want?
    I thought he was deliberately trying to appear ineffectual, to get everyone to bet on big dude and lengthen his odds - the next scene implied that it's a regular hobby of Holmes and Watson's, going out and placing bets on Holmes in fights. The only reason Holmes started to leave the fight was seeing Irene.

Seol on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    He was deliberately taking a bruising in the boxing match because he felt awful about Watson and Watson's lady. vs. the big dude, what do you want?
    I thought he was deliberately trying to appear ineffectual, to get everyone to bet on big dude and lengthen his odds - the next scene implied that it's a regular hobby of Holmes and Watson's, going out and placing bets on Holmes in fights. The only reason Holmes started to leave the fight was seeing Irene.

It was both.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, I'm not sure sure of this. The accents were all very clear, zero slang, not even that rapid.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    \

I think my main problem was the use of the "analytical" Holmes during the two fights. Would have been cooler to see it elsewhere. Even cooler to see him come up blank during that.

taeric on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Exarch wrote: »
    This was the longest episode of House I've ever seen. Watson was Foreman during that season where he spent a million episodes threatening to leave.

I'm trying to figure out if you're trolling. Just in case you're not, you know that House is meant to be Sherlock Holmes as a medical doctor, right?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I am still on the fence about whether to see this, reviews from friends seem positive on balance, with the most convincing to me being along the lines of "It is kind of neat to see a steampunk-ish version of the city we live in"

... There's nothing steampunk in this movie, save for perhaps one object. Your friends do realize that steampunk is based heavily on the Victorian era where this movie is set, yes?

(Also, see it).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

... There's nothing steampunk in this movie, save for perhaps one object. Your friends do realize that steampunk is based heavily on the Victorian era where this movie is set, yes?

(Also, see it).

Sorry, but your friends sound like idiots for not understanding the concept of time.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Exarch wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out if you're trolling. Just in case you're not, you know that House is meant to be Sherlock Holmes as a medical doctor, right?

This, so hard. All the people in this thread likening the movie to an episode of House...

Seriously the entire series of House is meant to play him out as a modern day Holmes. I mean the rampant drug abuse, the amazing leaps of logic.

The only thing that makes House a bit more human is that unlike Holmes, he'll blunder through 6-7 wrong diagnoses' first, whereas Holmes will get all the clues and in a brilliant climactic moment, will put them all together and solve the crime.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png