Options

Sherlock Holmes

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was really happy with Mark Strong's villain.

Who are other good evil-types who could play Moriarty? Or d'you think he should be cast completely against the villain-type, like with a Brad Pitt or George Clooney?

John Lithgow.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Moriarty's face is hidden because they haven't figured out who they want to have play him in the sequel.

This is obvious, but it really stands out. 'Sall I'm sayin'.
    Who are other good evil-types who could play Moriarty? Or d'you think he should be cast completely against the villain-type, like with a Brad Pitt or George Clooney?

My limited understanding of Holmes lore implies that Moriarty tends to boost his ego and detach himself from his crime by working with an air of legitimacy. For example, going with the "Professor" prefix despite not being a professor. In this sense, yeah, I think he should be cast against the villain-type. Who exactly would be perfect is kind of up in the air, but both Brad Pitt and George Clooney are excellent ideas.

Alternatively, they should have Daniel Davis reprise his role from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm not getting all the Guy Ritchie hate in here, btw. There are people who didn't like Snatch?

Snatch was meh. I enjoyed it, it wasn't terrible, but Lock, Stock was by far the better movie. I can't imagine a time when I'd sit down and watch Snatch again.

I think Snatch is the superior film as a stand alone, but if you've seen Lock, Stock before you've seen snatch you probably think Snatch is pretty feh given the huge number of overlaps in style, character and story.

I guess in a weird way, it's to Ritchie's credit that his two worst films (Revolver and Swept Away) were so god-awful that virtually no one has seen them.

I kind of feel that Ritchie is going to be one of those directors who works best when fenced in, be it by franchise considerations or studio wrangling or whathaveyou. He clearly has a motif, but he hasn't yet been shown able to do anything remarkable with it in his own hands.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    I was really happy with Mark Strong's villain.

John Lithgow.

Daniel Davis

edit: ah! beat me to it...

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Alternatively, they should have Daniel Davis reprise his role from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Or get the guy who played Jack the Ripper on B5 (what is with scifi shows giving us awesome portrayals of old english villains?)

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I didn't mind the end, for two reasons.

1). The story started in the middle of Holme's life.

2). The story ended with the same feeling of being in the middle of Holme's life.

It was more like superman at the end of the movie hearing "Help superman!" or something and flying off to save the day to the rising credits music. That's how it felt.

I know it's totally going to have a sequel, but in this case, it didn't jar with me.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The real problem with the end was how unbelievably heavy-handed they were in saying "WE'RE MAKING A SEQUEL!!!" I don't like it when movies set themselves up obviously for sequels to begin with, and this was basically having the characters tell you it was happening.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So like you hated The Fellowship of the Ring...?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Lord of the Rings trilogy doesn't count. It is the exception to many, many rules. And, in fact, should only be referred to as Lord of the Rings rather than individual films.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I felt pretty much exactly the same with this movie's sequel-baiting as with Iron Man's (post-credits) sequel-baiting.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nescientist on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time feeling bad about the promise of a sequel to a really fun film.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Daniel Day-Lewis should play Moriarty. Play him with that magnificant Daniel Plainview mustache.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    All I could think of during the climax was
    HOW FUCKING EPIC IS IT THAT HUGH LAWRIE IS FIGHTING VINNIE JONES RIGHT NOW?

Tav on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hugh Laurie?

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Iriah wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie?

Hugh Laurie == House == Sherlock Holmes as a doctor instead of a detective.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time feeling bad about the promise of a sequel to a really fun film.

Me too. I mean lord I hate things I enjoyed being continued.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie?

Laurie's Dr Holmes isn't much like Sherlock in this movie.

Iriah on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hugh Laurie?

In fact, this is one iteration of holmes where the similarities were very few.
    I assume this needs spoilering, not read the books for many many years, but seen a lot of various iterations of the char on TV over christmas.

I was particularly disappointed with his reading of the 'Mrs Watson' to be. The whole point of Holmes deductive reasoning is that he does not guess. He makes certainties from details. Her giving the ring back because it was too cheap was simply a weak guess at best. It jarred.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually, I meant RDJ looked an awful lot like him in this movie. The bad guy looked like Vinnie Jones, and had a similar accent to him too.

Tav on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I felt pretty much exactly the same with this movie's sequel-baiting as with Iron Man's (post-credits) sequel-baiting.

Just curious, was there any post credit stuff in Sherlock Holmes?
    I left before the credits ended because I'm a terrible person.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    see317 wrote: »

Just curious, was there any post credit stuff in Sherlock Holmes?
    I left before the credits ended because I'm a terrible person.

No. I had heard there was and stayed through the entire credits, and there was nothing.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie?

I assume this needs spoilering, not read the books for many many years, but seen a lot of various iterations of the char on TV over christmas.

I was particularly disappointed with his reading of the 'Mrs Watson' to be. The whole point of Holmes deductive reasoning is that he does not guess. He makes certainties from details. Her giving the ring back because it was too cheap was simply a weak guess at best. It jarred.
    He was taking the piss out of Watson. I don't think he actually thought what he said.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Watson was absolutely fantastic in this movie. Some scenes really nailed why Holmes is so on-edge, particularly the scene in the fancy restaurant before Watson arrived.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie?

Yeah that had more to do with being an ass than actual deduction.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The rumor is they're trying to get Pitt for Moriarty. Which: lame. Laurie would be far more interesting, I think.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The rumor is they're trying to get Pitt for Moriarty. Which: lame. Laurie would be far more interesting, I think.

Lord that would suck.

If I had a choice I'd think an older actor Perhaps one recently knighted who is popular with Nerds because he played a captain on an 80-'s sci-fi show . . .

Unfortunately to my knowledge no such man exists.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the Pitt thing is an old rumour? They were supposed to have done reshoots with him as Moriarty for the first film, but I think it ended up as being pure speculation/not working out/whatever.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Laurie as a villain in a movie would be...interesting. I'd pay to see that.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i was quite underwhelmed by this movie.

the acting was much better than the script demanded. which is to say, i loved the representation of the characters but hated the story

main villain: ho-hum. moriarty: felt tacked on as sequel bait.

ending spoilers:
    His whole explanation that he figured out, while cool sounding and delivered well, was just atrocious. There is no conceivable way any person could EVER have pieced together the story from the things the movie showed. Oh, a random shot of a plant. GEE THAT MUST BE THE SOUTH AFRICAN DINGLEBERRY THAT CAUSES COMA LIKE SYMPTOMS WITH VERY LOW PULSE. I hate that kind of stuff.

The movie felt like it was trying to be clever but the writers had absolutely no idea how to cleverly present clues in a manner that would reward the perspicacious movie-goers.

Overall, the dialogue and acting were top notch, but the story was tremendously disappointing.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Probably going to wait until a home release, but I'm okay with Guy Ritchie so I think I'll enjoy this.

If I liked Snatch and Lock, Stock, will I like Rock n Rolla or Revolver? Haven't bothered figuring they're all pretty derivative of each other, but I'm curious to know what people think.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    ending spoilers:
    His whole explanation that he figured out, while cool sounding and delivered well, was just atrocious. There is no conceivable way any person could EVER have pieced together the story from the things the movie showed. Oh, a random shot of a plant. GEE THAT MUST BE THE SOUTH AFRICAN DINGLEBERRY THAT CAUSES COMA LIKE SYMPTOMS WITH VERY LOW PULSE. I hate that kind of stuff.

I've started reading the Holmes stories after watching this movie and I'm coming to the conclusion that the above isn't an error in the translation to film. They're less mystery stories as "OMFG Holmes is scary" stories.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ending spoilers:

The movie felt like it was trying to be clever but the writers had absolutely no idea how to cleverly present clues in a manner that would reward the perspicacious movie-goers.

I'm pretty sure they never had any intention to. The entire point here is that Holmes' deduction (well, it's really induction but whatevs) ability borders on superhuman.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    ending spoilers:

I'm pretty sure they never had any intention to. The entire point here is that Holmes' deduction (well, it's really induction but whatevs) ability borders on superhuman.
    Hmm.

Well then maybe these types of stories aren't for me.

I was kinda expecting an Agatha Christie type story in terms of cleverness and deduction, not a "SUPERHUMAN AGENT MAN" thing.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

the acting was much better than the script demanded. which is to say, i loved the representation of the characters but hated the story

ending spoilers:

Overall, the dialogue and acting were top notch, but the story was tremendously disappointing.

Are you new to Sherlock Holmes or something? That's what he does in every fucking story. There's a case were he solves the crime because of five fucking orange seeds.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

As Tomanta pointed out, those weren't really made as individual movies. It's all one story told over 3 films. I mean, I didn't really like them, but for other reasons.

An example of a series of movies that doesn't hit you over the head with "we're making a sequel" are the Indiana Jones movies.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm.

Well then maybe these types of stories aren't for me.

I was kinda expecting an Agatha Christie type story in terms of cleverness and deduction, not a "SUPERHUMAN AGENT MAN" thing.
    To be fair, A Study in Scarlet pretty clearly lays out the ground rules of this kind of story with Watson starting incredulous then becoming convinced. It's just the movie skipped way past that point.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2010

ending spoilers:

Are you new to Sherlock Holmes or something? That's what he does in every fucking story. There's a case were he solves the crime because of five fucking orange seeds.
    Yeah, I guess I am not too familiar with classic Holmes.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

ending spoilers:

Yeah, I guess I am not too familiar with classic Holmes.

To be fair, I'd probably agree that this was a weakness of the written stories as well. I just love them anyway. Kinda like this movie.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ITT nobody is allowed to be a genius because "I" can't comprehend it.

Holmes obviously has a photographic memory and notices small details others miss. People like this actually do exist. I know it's difficult to understand, but they actually do. They just don't go around solving detective cases n shit. Most of his logic is pretty easily understandable and there's no reason why he can't have knowledge of plant life, he's a knowledgeable man. He's not a young man fresh off the boat, and based on his "hobbies" he spends his free time learning random shit because he is driven by a constant need to do something. So I don't think it's unusual for the character to have exotic knowledge about random stuff.

Whole objection is based on "I don't understand so it can't happen".

Now if you were talking about the actual mysteries themselves, you'd have something to complain about. None of the plots in pretty much any mystery novel I've ever read in my life was something anybody would ever actually do. People are pretty boring, as a rule, and this includes crimes.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Now if you were talking about the actual mysteries themselves, you'd have something to complain about. None of the plots in pretty much any mystery novel I've ever read in my life was something anybody would ever actually do. People are pretty boring, as a rule, and this includes crimes.

This. I feel I am fortunate in that I am able to very easily turn my brain on "cruise control" and just enjoy an entertaining spectacle. As much as I'd like my stepfather, a police officer, to arrest criminals in elaborate and humorous ways while spouting witty one-liners, sadly that doesn't happen. So I'm content to watch it in a movie.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth