Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »
    This is my first playthrough with it... so far, I like it, except for the way it imposes penalties (such as when you kill/knock out civillians/friendlies).

What exactly don't you like about the penalties?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Should I start my first Deus Ex playthrough with the Shifter mod and the HDTP?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Should I start my first Deus Ex playthrough with the Shifter mod and the HDTP?

I don't really see why not, it doesn't really CHANGE anything major. Just makes improvements. Though I dunno bout the HDTP, having the few existing HD elements mixed up with all the original things might be a bit weird.

EDIT: Is there any specific mods/skills I should go for if playing on Realistic? As compared to Normal, are any skills more needed?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Concentrate on shooting people in the head.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Welp, started a Realistic play. I hadn't realised that the enemy AI would be improved. I got noticed a lot more easily, and had to move REAL fast to save the hostages in the 'Ton. Thanks to whoever it was who recommended the Pepper Spray, btw, it really helps.

If you ask me, it's not until you reach Hell's Kitchen that you really get a feel for how freeform the game can be. The statue is wide-open, sure, and Battery Park has a couple tasks, but suddenly here you are with a bunch of jobs you don't actually have to do and aren't even told about off the bat.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Welp, started a Realistic play. I hadn't realised that the enemy AI would be improved. I got noticed a lot more easily, and had to move REAL fast to save the hostages in the 'Ton. Thanks to whoever it was who recommended the Pepper Spray, btw, it really helps.

Pepper Spray is god, I've been able to walk into a room full of six guys, spray them all, and then silently tazer them all. Then I move onto the next room and repeat the situation all over again.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also I love the random NPC inventory in Shifter. I just found a (regular) sword in Hell's Kitchen, long before you're supposed to find one in Hong Kong. You can also get random aug canisters. Oh, and if you have a canister for an aug that's already installed you can either replace or upgrade, instead of it being useless.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    With shifter, I found it a lot easier to play the game as a first person shooter. Mainly because I put the laser sight you find at the statue on a silenced pistol, and the laser sight actually shows you where the round will end up, meaning infinite headshots.

After you get an assault rifle, you just put every aug you have on it.

41 rounds, quick reload, no recoil, massive damage and accuracy, and a silencer.

bet your ass I got that back from mj12 hq

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so far I have gone from the beginning to Hells Kitchen using nothing but hurled crowbars to kill enemies.

It's been pretty rad, I gotta tell you.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    so far I have gone from the beginning to Hells Kitchen using nothing but hurled crowbars to kill enemies.

It's been pretty rad, I gotta tell you.

Gordon Freeman eat your heart out.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm up to the subways and it's possible that I haven't killed anyone. Nothing comes to mind.

Though I've certainly clubbed 10 or so heads.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the crowbar kills, I believe.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Baton

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »
    This is my first playthrough with it... so far, I like it, except for the way it imposes penalties (such as when you kill/knock out civillians/friendlies).

What exactly don't you like about the penalties?

It's nothing too serious, but I feel it removes some of the freeform nature of the game. Like the crack addict with the LAM in the subway underground... I could have done what he asked for, or knocked him out and taken the LAM (arguably the 'best' option since it doesn't involve killing anyone or paying drug dealers), but Shifter discourages it by subtracting points when you kill/knock out so called 'friendlies'.

I mean, it's not a huge deal obviously, but it does sort of suggest that you shouldn't play a certain way.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The baton is all you need for 95% of the game.
    Some people choose to augment themselves beyond the limits of your petty needs.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Baton

Baton takes one square in inventory, crowbar takes two. End of discussion. Baton.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Baton

Baton takes one square in inventory, crowbar takes two. End of discussion. Baton.

Deserves to be limed.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Direct3D 10 render is nice, no problems and few settings to change to get it working properly. Much better than the improved OpenGL render that gave me various problems.

I'm trying to play The Nameless Mod at the moment (lots of slowdown on my nettop) and is there a way to steal the painting from the starting hotel without making the guards go hostile on you? I'm pretty sure they haven't seen or heard me so I've figured they're automatically set to be hostile when you accept to steal the painting.

Zell on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rucio wrote: »
    Ok fine I relent! Just started my first shifter run.

Also, I have tried to play invisible war 6 times and just cant make myself get past the starting area. The whole game just seems so unappealing in ways I can't put my finger on.

my guess is because they abandoned alot of what made the original great, made serious game concessions to MS to get the game to run on the xbox and all around should have been called something other than Deus Ex?

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not to mention its first generation bump mapping effects. They just went overboard with the bump mapping and made everything and everyone look like they're covered in glistening mayonaise.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Not to mention its first generation bump mapping effects. They just went overboard with the bump mapping and made everything and everyone look like they're covered in glistening mayonaise.

I fail to see the problem with this as im sitting in a kiddy pool filled with astroglide atm <insert penny arcade comic here>

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good tip for people who enjoy sneaky knockouts:

You would think the back of the head is the sweet spot for a quick, easy knockout. Nope, the sweet spot is actually somewhere around the back of the knees. 95% of the time, you should get a one hit knockout when you hit that spot (assuming of course, you haven't alerted them).

balerbower on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    balerbower wrote: »
    Good tip for people who enjoy sneaky knockouts:

You would think the back of the head is the sweet spot for a quick, easy knockout. Nope, the sweet spot is actually somewhere around the back of the knees. 95% of the time, you should get a one hit knockout when you hit that spot (assuming of course, you haven't alerted them).

Let me guess, you were that guy in highschool who would always creep up behind people, kick them in the back of the knees to cause their legs to buckle from beneath them, then run away laughing right?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Baton

Yes, baton. I don't know why I'm even still carrying the crowbar. I don't use it for anything.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Baton

Yes, baton. I don't know why I'm even still carrying the crowbar. I don't use it for anything.

What if there is a door you can't open...
    Oh yeah, that's why you're carrying the GEP gun.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Man, I completely forgot about that in the aftermath of the plastic people of UE3

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Man, I completely forgot about that in the aftermath of the plastic people of UE3

That's not BUMP mapping, that's probably NORMAL mapping, or maybe bloom. Bump mapping makes things look bumpy, not glistening.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is that what its actually called? Yeah, back in those days, game developers thought normal mapping could make anything look good. They'd use extremely low resolution textures, then jazz it up by slapping on some normal maps. If I'm not mistaken, Deus Ex 2 was actually released before Doom 3 came out. Its almost like they wanted to beat Doom 3 to the punch, but Doom 3 actually looked good.

At least Deus Ex 2 did some things right...

Crazy Wendy

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Icarus is creeping me out.

Fuga on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone got the DX10 renderer to work on Windows 7 64 bit? I tried to use it but it threw an error on game startup that it failed to initialize.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unatco?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unatco?

Savage.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's hoping we get wired-tazers in DX3, because the last game to ever have one was fucking Sypthon Filter for the PS1 and it really should be in games that offer none-lethal alternatives like DX series.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's hoping we get wired-tazers in DX3, because last game to ever have one was fucking Sypthon Filter for the PS1.

SWAT 4 has them and that's only a few years old. But Syphon Filter was the last game to have wired tazers that set men ON FIRE.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Here's hoping we get wired-tazers in DX3, because last game to ever have one was fucking Sypthon Filter for the PS1.

SWAT 4 has them and that's only a few years old. But Syphon Filter was the last game to have wired tazers that set men ON FIRE.

Saint's Row 2 also has really cool wired tazers. And there is a mod that turn the tazer into a magic resuscitating gun.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cyphr wrote: »
    Has anyone got the DX10 renderer to work on Windows 7 64 bit? I tried to use it but it threw an error on game startup that it failed to initialize.
    It worked fine for me without doing anything special.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did you know, if you give Gilbert Renton a weapon to fight Jojo with, and he kills/KOs Jojo without your help, then he and his daughter make up, she never leaves New York, and so doesn't appear in the gas station level near the end?

I haven't managed it before though. I think I'll take that sword I found with me and give that to him. That oughta carve up the punk. Assuming it's possible to give him that. Shifter has a method for giving him and the NSF guy in the MJ12 cell new weapons but I dunno how to do it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I tried to play deus ex atleast 3 times and lost interest so now I am making my run with limited lethal force.

Been peppering and batoning the fuck out of everything, I have so much fucking ammo though, game really wants me to murder the hell out of everyone. Also Stun Prod for weapon with least ammo ever.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I tried to play deus ex atleast 3 times and lost interest so now I am making my run with limited lethal force.

Been peppering and batoning the fuck out of everything, I have so much fucking ammo though, game really wants me to murder the hell out of everyone. Also Stun Prod for weapon with least ammo ever.

Have you been prodding them in the back just at the belt? That's the one-hit-stun spot.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Prod, then get beat to hell with a baton.

I was unaware of the stun stop, I assumed it was a one hit if you prodded an unawares person.

People like to turn around right before I'm in range.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
This discussion has been closed.