As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Did you know, if you give Gilbert Renton a weapon to fight Jojo with, and he kills/KOs Jojo without your help, then he and his daughter make up, she never leaves New York, and so doesn't appear in the gas station level near the end?

I haven't managed it before though. I think I'll take that sword I found with me and give that to him. That oughta carve up the punk. Assuming it's possible to give him that. Shifter has a method for giving him and the NSF guy in the MJ12 cell new weapons but I dunno how to do it.

the only way I have ever managed to let him win is with a mini-crossbow with tranq darts. Gilbert can take enough damage to let the tranqs do their work once he hits JoJo.

However, you need to drop every weapon except your crossbow to be able to give it to him.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Did you know, if you give Gilbert Renton a weapon to fight Jojo with, and he kills/KOs Jojo without your help, then he and his daughter make up, she never leaves New York, and so doesn't appear in the gas station level near the end?

I haven't managed it before though. I think I'll take that sword I found with me and give that to him. That oughta carve up the punk. Assuming it's possible to give him that. Shifter has a method for giving him and the NSF guy in the MJ12 cell new weapons but I dunno how to do it.

the only way I have ever managed to let him win is with a mini-crossbow with tranq darts. Gilbert can take enough damage to let the tranqs do their work once he hits JoJo.

However, you need to drop every weapon except your crossbow to be able to give it to him.

Yes but I don't want to give him my crossbow it is mine. :(

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think you can help him with the fight and get the same result. Might have to let them both go hostile or get shots in first, though.

august on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    august wrote: »
    I think you can help him with the fight and get the same result. Might have to let them both go hostile or get shots in first, though.

Nope. if Renton dies, Sandra leaves. If he lives but you helped kill JoJo, Sandra says something like "if it wasn't for JC you'd be dead" and leaves.

Its only if he does it completely solo that she stays.

I've actually always had her stay...whats her role in the gas station mission?

interesting tidbit about Deus Ex #1-
    When coming to a brief halt in their patrol route, enemies, unless their next patrol point is a left turn, will always spin to the right before coming to a stop.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, FINE, I'll give him my crossbow, I can probably scrounge another one off an enemy later on.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, did I ever love playing this when it first came out. It has great atmosphere, although I think Thief beats it hands-down. In fact, I'd say all three of them top it. (The Cradle, for toppers)

Wonder how the 4th one is going to turn out....

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    4th one? Are you counting project: snowblind?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thief may win on atmosphere but thats about as far as it wins over DX.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, by 4th I was referring to the Thief franchise. Officially announced last year - Thief 4 notes on Wikipedia

Also a link in the paragraph to the next Deus Ex installment

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I almost forgot about Project:Snowblind. Is it really officially part of the Deus Ex universe?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No.

august on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No.

Thank god, Invisible War was a big enough stain as it was.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, by 4th I was referring to the Thief franchise. Officially announced last year - Thief 4 notes on Wikipedia

Also a link in the paragraph to the next Deus Ex installment

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I do think it'll be easier for them to catch the essence of thief than Deus Ex, heck, compare Deadly shadows to invisible war

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No.

Thank god, Invisible War was a big enough stain as it was.

It was going to be a Deus Ex game, but Deus Ex 2 crashed and burned so they decided that wasn't a good idea.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unatco?

Savage.

Unatco?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Nope. if Renton dies, Sandra leaves. If he lives but you helped kill JoJo, Sandra says something like "if it wasn't for JC you'd be dead" and leaves.

Its only if he does it completely solo that she stays.

I've actually always had her stay...whats her role in the gas station mission?

I think you're mistaken. I might be as long as Gilbert gets the first shot in you can finish off Jojo, which is what I always did. Gave him my stealth pistol, waited for the shooting to start, killed Jojo, got my gun back.

Jojo was kind of an under-used character. Him and Lebedev were mentioned a bunch, and then never seen again (that's assuming Lebedev lives).

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am not mistaken. You definitely cannot keep Sandra around if you have any part in killing JoJo.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So in a case of reality meets video games, I'm in New York City at the moment and decided to go visit Castle Clinton. It was pretty weird to see something in real life that I've otherwise only ever seen in a game, but it was also pretty awesome to see something from Deus Ex in real life. Obviously, due to the constraints of computers at the time, Deus Ex isn't 100% perfectly accurate, but it's still close pretty close.

The Castle Clinton itself was replicated pretty closely, but most everything inside is changed for the game for playability. The area's proportions are also off with the series of tablet monuments to the right (with the eagle statue) are a lot farther away in real life. The whole surrounding area is also obviously not walled off, but there is a subway station pretty close by. However, it's much more to the north and there's no shantytown in sight. Disappointing, I know.

I haven't played Deus Ex in a while, but I'll see about taking some pictures of familiar views/spots at both Castle Clinton and the Statue of Liberty tomorrow (Castle Clinton is right by the ferry out to the Statue). The Castle Clinton stuff was eerily familiar, which is pretty impressive considering the level of computers and game development 10-15 years ago.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That sounds like an awesome idea, Ninja. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some comparison shots. I actually had no idea that Castle Clinton was a real place. Is it just not as well-known outside of NYC or is it something that I really should know about? Gonna have to Wikipedia it for some info.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The inside of the Statue of Liberty in-game is surprisingly accurate to real life.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Unatco?

Savage.

Unatco?

No, Savage.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am not mistaken. You definitely cannot keep Sandra around if you have any part in killing JoJo.

I am positive you are doing it wrong somehow, because the way I've had it go down is that Renton pulls his gun, utterly fucks it up, so I start laying into Jojo till he's on minimal health, then I let Renton finish him off.

If you don't give him a weapon and cap Jojo, Sandra leaves.

The worst outcome of course was all the times Sandra gets killed in the crossfire. I saw it happen, then found I could talk to him afterwards and D:

I'm pretty sure you must be just shooting Jojo in the head immediately - you have to let Renton get a shot in I think.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I am positive you are doing it wrong somehow, because the way I've had it go down is that Renton pulls his gun, utterly fucks it up, so I start laying into Jojo till he's on minimal health, then I let Renton finish him off.

The worst outcome of course was all the times Sandra gets killed in the crossfire. I saw it happen, then found I could talk to him afterwards and D:

I'm pretty sure you must be just shooting Jojo in the head immediately - you have to let Renton get a shot in I think.

Or maybe Renton has to deal the killing shot?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God damn it now I need to go replay that scene sometime and work it out. But if you help Renton he usually says something like "we got him JC!".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just finished this. Great game, gotta try out the sequel now.

Fuga on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

Yeahhhh....i dont really think you should

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Trying to get the D3D10 renderer to work, but everytime I start up the game it says the .dll is missing even though its in there.

Reinstalled DirectX as per the website suggestion but still no go. Any ideas?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Or maybe Renton has to deal the killing shot?

I'm certain that works if you give him a weapon and let him fire at least once. I've had to step in because apparently he doesn't have any ammo in reserve, and if he runs out he just runs around helplessly; to the best of my recollection, Sandra shouldn't run off if you armed him, whether he killed JoJo or not.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

Yeahhhh....i dont really think you should

hahahah oh man I'd report this for awesome if it wasn't also so tragic at the same time. I'm laughing but I'm also crying :?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Rucio wrote: »
    Ok fine I relent! Just started my first shifter run.

Also, I have tried to play invisible war 6 times and just cant make myself get past the starting area. The whole game just seems so unappealing in ways I can't put my finger on.

my guess is because they abandoned alot of what made the original great, made serious game concessions to MS to get the game to run on the xbox and all around should have been called something other than Deus Ex?

The problem was really twofold and doesn't have to do with loading. These same reasons are why thief 3 was still undoubtedly a thief game even though they made the same concessions to run on a console.

1. Deus Ex 1 was not a great game because the choices you made in dialog mattered a whole lot. It was a great game because the choices you made as you played mattered a whole lot. The Universal inventory system was a complete and unmitigated disaster that ruined the entire concept of choosing a niche that had drawbacks and benefits. It seems like a good idea in that it simplifies the concept of placing ammo, but it also makes it harder to pace sections of the game based on what ammo type you're expected to use. In the end what it did was made it so that choosing a weapon was pointless, you simply selected the weapon that had the most damage/ammo use and went with that, no other weapons were necessary.

To summarize, Deus Ex 2 removed the choices of what to keep and when to use other weapons. At that point its almost not a game anymore, insomuch as the game that was expected was defined by those types of choices.

2. The game was sterile. It just did not look like it was living. In Deus Ex 1 you would jump in a garbage can and there would be light refuse on the ground, there was junk everywhere. It looked and felt like the place that we expected it. In DX2 none of that was there and the game lost a lot of atmosphere for it. Not to mention that the voice acting was so flat. Say what you want about the bad voicing acting in China, at least the people had emotion when they said their lines. If Gunther had gotten orange instead of lemon lime in DX2 we would not be laughing about it, because the line would have been said with no inflection, feeling, or voice, and we would never have really believed that he thought there was a conspiracy.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    1. Deus Ex 1 was not a great game because the choices you made in dialog mattered a whole lot. It was a great game because the choices you made as you played mattered a whole lot. The Universal inventory system was a complete and unmitigated disaster that ruined the entire concept of choosing a niche that had drawbacks and benefits. It seems like a good idea in that it simplifies the concept of placing ammo, but it also makes it harder to pace sections of the game based on what ammo type you're expected to use. In the end what it did was made it so that choosing a weapon was pointless, you simply selected the weapon that had the most damage/ammo use and went with that, no other weapons were necessary.

To summarize, Deus Ex 2 removed the choices of what to keep and when to use other weapons. At that point its almost not a game anymore, insomuch as the game that was expected was defined by those types of choices.

This would be more convincing if I did not typically go through every playthrough of Deus Ex solely with a baton and the Dragon's Tooth.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Great missed opportunities in Invisible War, part 2:

Hey there's this guy involved in nanotech stuff who looks a little and sounds exactly like Walton Simons! Walton Simons was having himself cloned at the end of DX1! Are we gonna explore this? Are we fuck.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man I've played through Deus Ex so many times but just started a new run with Shifter.

Absolutely love the changes. Not picking up combat knives from enemies because you have a better weapon is fantastic, as is the randomised inventory system.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010

Hey there's this guy involved in nanotech stuff who looks a little and sounds exactly like Walton Simons! Walton Simons was having himself cloned at the end of DX1! Are we gonna explore this? Are we fuck.

I spent the entire game waiting for that fucking walton simons reveal

Tube on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just made it to the airport using mostly tranqs and baton.

I am discovering how incredibly awesome tear gas can be. Just drop it on a room of mobs, pull out ye old crossbow, and profit.

Rucio on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sorry, I'm afraid we're all out of those. We do have a lame boss fight in stock, against somebody you never, ever cared about and whose motivations make basically no sense. And, like, some spiderbots and I think a turret somewhere. That counts, right?

...right?

I'll just show myself out.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »

Sorry, I'm afraid we're all out of those. We do have a lame boss fight in stock, against somebody you never, ever cared about and whose motivations make basically no sense. And, like, some spiderbots and I think a turret somewhere. That counts, right?

...right?

I'll just show myself out.

Billie Adams may as well have been wearing a shirt that says "I will betray you", it was that obvious.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On a side note, at least the Omar were cool.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »

The Omar ending, though, was a bit off. You side with one of very few people who isn't obviously or ambiguously trying to manipulate you, which makes the mutants take over. Ehh.

EDIT: Though it may seem like I'm shitting all over the game, I have completed it more than once. Then again I'd complete Daikatana more than once if it was Deus Ex: Daikatana.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »

Especially so after watching the Wire and mentally associated the Omars with each other. "You come at the king, you best not miss."

big l on
This discussion has been closed.