As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The search for tactical games: Aliens not necessary.

• Options
    blikbokblikbok Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Jagged Alliance 2 is the greatest turn based tactical game ever made. So go get that.

This.

Skip the 1st one. Its good, but the second 1 is better.
    You don't need any of the expansions.
    Download the 1.13 fan patch
    Hire Shadow

I own 7 copies of Jagged Alliance 2. I do not regret buying it 7 times. I may goto GOG and buy an 8th. It's that fucking good.

Only 7 copies? I'm turning you in to the Fanboy Police.
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    You guys are gonna kill my free time :(
    <3

The answer to this problem for the last ten years has been Jagged Alliance 2. Heck, it even has optional sci-fi bugs in tunnels under the town. Play it, love it. The first one is very skippable, it has not aged well.

The even better part is the the fan patch "v1.13". Basically, the fans over at "The Bear's Pit" http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php have been maintaining a full source-code level rewrite. 1.13 is the version number they call it, since 1.12 was the last official Sir-Tech patch. They found a bug last year that was ten years old, where the original game had a missing minus sign that made something (fear of bullets, IIRC) work exactly backwards. It's got something like 700 guns and new features and all the internal settings are exposed to tweak in text config files. 1.13 requires a legal version for the art assets, and they have several one-click installers. Build 3287 from Oct 2009 seems to be the latest.

But stick with the plain "vanilla" version without the 1.13 patch, it simplifies learning.

For the vanilla JA2 without 1.13, Patusco's JA2 Guide is the authoritative source of info for all the unmodded quests and mercs. I found a PDF version here: www.jtgibson.ca/ja2v113/ja2_guide.pdf

Bear's Pit is very active with lots of information on the game (mainly the 1.13 fan patch), both technical, tactical, and the story/campaign. One thread with gameplay info: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=209928&page=1#Post209928

Very useful information: you will learn so much, save a game right before you do anything and don't be afraid to restart and try different things. For better guns, hire a Merc with a good gun for a day; you can do a lot in 24hrs and you can keep all the equipment he comes with. Remember to take it off him before he goes.

Use the crap early guns when they have plenty of ammo to gring marksmanship for your mercs. As long as they have some chance of hitting the target, they are skilling up. I usually grab the crappy mercs from Speck's M.E.R.C. website, and they will be killing machines by mid-game because the have been firing all my useless ammo from the behind the main troops at whatever they can see.

The game is absolutely breathtaking, then depressing when I realize nothing like it will ever occur in a 3D engine. Consider the humble door; it is locked, it is your enemy.
    You can find a key, kick it in, shoot the lock, blow the doorknob with a "doorbuster" charge, vaporize the door with several different kinds of explosives, pick the lock, wait for someone to open it from inside, or, my favorite make another door somewhere else in the wall with an anti-tank rocket. You can throw rocks at the enemy for 1 point of damage. Enemy soldiers will occasionally drown trying to cross rivers. Each merc has a personality and hundreds of lines of speech. You can knock out soldiers with a tranquilizer dart. Equip two teams, one with sniper rifles and machineguns and grenade launchers for daylight search and destroy missions. While they sleep, your ninja squad stalks the night with nightvision, silencers, and knives.

Why awesome games like JA2 and Space Station 13 and Dwarf Fortress have to toil in near-obscurity with incredibly intricate gameplay options is a mystery. There have been three attempts to revive JA as "JA3" or JA 3D. The last one, I kid you not, was based on a licensed and extended Silent Storm engine to exploit it's even more destructible world. It was canceled last month.

I need a moment.

If I could make one game possible, I'd buy the rights to JA and give the modders and coders and artists who are working on 1.13 everything they needed and step out of the way.
    If I could make two I'd do Space Station 13 to look like Shattered Horizon. Then Lego Dwarf Fortress.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I may actually play some vanilla JA2 next time I reinstall it. I haven't played just the base game in so long.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    blikbokblikbok Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I think I may actually play some vanilla JA2 next time I reinstall it. I haven't played just the base game in so long.

I get tempted, but 1.13 fixes lots of bugs and makes the game playable for me. The Tons of Guns set to "normal" flips 1.13 from the 700+ new guns back the smaller set of original JA2 guns.

There are enough settings to tweak everything closer to original, but I do wish they would have included a "just fixes, not all the crazy crap" option.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »

I'm with you. I consider games like Myth: TFL, MYth II: Soulblighter, Ground Control and Dawn of War II to be more tactical games than strategy games.

Plus, Myth: TFL and Myth II still hold up so well. They are just so much fun. Great stories, easter eggs, all kinds of different game play approaches. And the mods, man the mod scene for Myth II is astounding.

Myth: TFL had such a great setting. And the responses you would get from units after killing an enemy (or friendly fire) added to the atmosphere. Specially the dwarves and their explosive packs. Nothing like watching zombie gibblets splattered across the screen.

Taterskin on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i tried to play Myth 2, because I know I would love it, but my god it was so incredibly ugly

i could not deal with it

i couldn't even tell what units were supposed to be

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can't do it, 1.13 introduces window mode which is key.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i tried to play Myth 2, because I know I would love it, but my god it was so incredibly ugly

i could not deal with it

i couldn't even tell what units were supposed to be

How does it feel to walk around acting like a human but knowing you have no soul?
    I kid.
    But only a little.

Drake on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I remember playing the JA2 demo when it first came out, I loved it but never actually played the game. WTF is with it still being 20 bucks on Steam?

Gog.com has you covered, and DRM free as well.

I wouldn't bother with the addon pack.

subedii on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can't do it, 1.13 introduces window mode which is key.

If it's your first time playing, or if you haven't played for a while, make sure you uncheck the "Drassen Counterattack" thing 1.13 included. Seriously.

jot on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I remember playing the JA2 demo when it first came out, I loved it but never actually played the game. WTF is with it still being 20 bucks on Steam?

Gog.com has you covered, and DRM free as well.

I wouldn't bother with the addon pack.

I'm a big slut for Steam usually. Yet GoG is the way to go if you can find a game there. I didn't want to believe it at first. It really, really is.

Those GoG guys are awesome.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ugh, JA2 (yes I reinstalled) is ghosting on my machine, the display is all fouled up. I remember fixing this before but cannot remember how...

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hire Shadow
    You called.

Just make sure the little bitch hasn't decided to leave for a few weeks when you go to hire him again. I think when I play next time I will see if there's an option in 1.13 to disable that. Especially if I do a solo-Shadow runthrough. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've never quite gotten the hard-on people have for Shadow, especially in 1.13 where his big vanilla selling point (his Camo perk) isn't nearly as useful.

Edit: Of course, I'm a guy who hires Biff and Flo to be a dirt-cheap dynamic duo who trains up militia in the western half of the map and run guns over to San Mona to the point where they're so good at combat they can take on two squads of blackshirts at once with no sweat.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's a kind of a problem with JA2. Your starting weapons are terribad. Luckily most of the early enemies are just as bad. You just have to crouch a lot, always stay stealthed if you can, and get behind any cover you can find (even a tree stump is better cover than no cover) in order to get close to the enemies.

Hm. Battles are going to be long and tense (and kinda boring) with all the slow, stealthy crawling. But! It seems like a great game, so it's worth a shot.

Also! Can I heal units on the fly? I've tried to make the medics use the medpacks on themselves, but all they can say about it is "Huh?"

When given the option, attack at night. At the start of the game, as mentioned, the effective range on your weapons will be incredibly short. Under the cover of darkness you'll be able to sneak in and get into range far easier, generally miss "less" (combat will start at closer ranges) and it'll be harder for the PC to find your squad.

Medkits are used like guns, if I recall correctly. Equip into your 'active' weapon hand, right click to bring up a red cross cursor, and heal targeted mans.

Edit: Note to self; Read all the pages, then post.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've never quite gotten the hard-on people have for Shadow, especially in 1.13 where his big vanilla selling point (his Camo perk) isn't nearly as useful.

Edit: Of course, I'm a guy who hires Biff and Flo to be a dirt-cheap dynamic duo who trains up militia in the western half of the map and run guns over to San Mona to the point where they're so good at combat they can take on two squads of blackshirts at once with no sweat.

BECAUSE HES AWESOME.

He's a great point man, high agility+dex, high health and marksmanship.

I too use Flo and Biff for training militia, but never use them in a fight.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone tried a solo run? As in, just the guy you create trough A.I.M. Sound pretty difficult, but if you know your way around, it may be possible.

A Let's Play of that with everyone in the forum choosing name, weapons, skills + Good Storytelling, would be positively awesome.

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've definitely done a solo run, but it was more of assassin esque run since I couldnt be bother to sit around training militia by myself. So I just took Alma, raided the armory, and then launched a one man attack on Drasden.

I tried to do a LP along the lines of what you're talking about, but lacked the good story telling so bombed out.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've definitely done a solo run, but it was more of assassin esque run since I couldnt be bother to sit around training militia by myself. So I just took Alma, raided the armory, and then launched a one man attack on Drasden.

I tried to do a LP along the lines of what you're talking about, but lacked the good story telling so bombed out.

Was that the LP where someone asked other forumers to create interesting characters for would be mercenaries, and my proposed character of a sociopathic male who thinks he's a ninja despite having low agility/no stealth/low martial arts skills and also is the whitest guy you'd ever know was one of the central characters?

Because if so, fuck, Kris, even mediocre story telling could have made that one interesting. Forget a Let's Play, we should write a screenplay.

SammyF on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone tried a solo run? As in, just the guy you create trough A.I.M. Sound pretty difficult, but if you know your way around, it may be possible.

The speed demo archive run does this I believe.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not really a min-max thing, some people just like looking at old game NPCs with rose colored glasses.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SammyF wrote: »

Was that the LP where someone asked other forumers to create interesting characters for would be mercenaries, and my proposed character of a sociopathic male who thinks he's a ninja despite having low agility/no stealth/low martial arts skills and also is the whitest guy you'd ever know was one of the central characters?

Because if so, fuck, Kris, even mediocre story telling could have made that one interesting. Forget a Let's Play, we should write a screenplay.

That was the one. I actually finished that game even tho I didn't finish the LP. Only you and Arrath survived to the end, which was amazing considering I'd put your char in all sorts of retarded situations in the desperate hope that you'd be able to kick someone.

Fuck maybe I should try again.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's also this excellent LP of JA2 using an earlier version of 1.13.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty much all of my games consist of a 6 man squad of custom mercs and then hired guys for training. Once you have a bunch of people training militia, you don't even have to fight much. Capturing cities is as easy as attacking, calling in reinforcements, and then retreating.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention Freedom Fore, unbelievable!!

Freedom Force, and then Freedom Force vs the Third Reich are awesome tactical games. They were made by Irrational, who also did System Shock 2 and Bioshock.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Renegen wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention Freedom Fore, unbelievable!!

Freedom Force, and then Freedom Force vs the Third Reich are awesome tactical games. They were made by Irrational, who also did System Shock 2 and Bioshock.

I did. On the first page of the thread, no less.

Drake on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I honestly don't understand what people enjoy about Jagged Alliance 2...
    the "tactical" gameplay is just terrible...
    it's like the designers sat down and tried their hardest to make combat slow, boring, and nearly unplayable.

Am I missing something?

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    it's like the designers sat down and tried their hardest to make combat slow, boring, and nearly unplayable.

Am I missing something?

Not every strategy game has to have heart pounding white knuckle REAL TIME ACTION.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Am I missing something?

Not every strategy game has to have heart pounding white knuckle REAL TIME ACTION.

Of course not, but I mean... play X-com, then play JA2.
    X-com's tactical combat sequences are fun, interesting, and engaging - constantly offering difficult decisions to the player.
    JA's tactical combat sequences are an exercise in tedium.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Jesus christ.
    "SKYRIDER HERE, THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL ME. I FLY WHIRLY-GIGS, EGGBEATERS, AND RASPBERRY CRUMBLES, BUT NOT FOOFNAFFLES. NOT SINCE THE ARMY," he bellowed, rocking back and forth on his feet. The man was clearly deranged, but if he could fly a helicopter, Dagny feared she would have little choice but to employ him. Before she could get a word in edgewise, he continued to list his qualifications loudly.

"YUP, WOULDA WORKED FOR DEIDRANNA, BUT THE JOB PAYS DINK AND I GOT SIX KIDS." He pointed to a set of beer bottles on the table, each filled with rock dust and each bearing a set of pasted-on googly eyes.

"SO I GUESS I'LL FLY FOR YOU, IF YOU CAN MUSTER UP THE GRAVY AND MEATBALLS. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN," he said, and elbowed Dagny in the ribs. Dagny was about to say that she would be happy to escort him to town, when he began to bellow once more. Dagny buried her head in her hands.

"I CHARGE BASED ON DISTANCE AND VOLUME. YOU PAY ME TWELVE RADIANS PER KILOSECTOR, AND I'LL GET YOU AND YOUR MEN WHERE YOU NEED TO GO. BUT I DON'T DO HOT DROPS, OR POP ROX." He seemed pleased by the rhyme, and held forward a contract for Dagny to sign.

I just lost it with that. That's the kind of writing I'm talking about for an LP.

Am I missing something?

You know, you could seriously express yourself better. I mean, good job taking a poop on the thread there :(

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was actually just kinda hoping someone would be able to set me straight - like maybe there was some crucial game mechanic I've been missing out on that makes the game (JA2) not suck. =/

My suggestion;

Buck Rogers; Countdown to Doomsday

graphics are pretty dated, but it is simply an absolutely fucking amazing game.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My fondest Memory of Jagged Alliance is Gus Tarballs ( I think that was his name) He had a funny name, but he was a friggin death machine. He was a goddamn crackshot.

Then his contract ran out, and I couldn't get him back on my team for a while... :(

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Jesus christ.
    "SKYRIDER HERE, THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL ME. I FLY WHIRLY-GIGS, EGGBEATERS, AND RASPBERRY CRUMBLES, BUT NOT FOOFNAFFLES. NOT SINCE THE ARMY," he bellowed, rocking back and forth on his feet. The man was clearly deranged, but if he could fly a helicopter, Dagny feared she would have little choice but to employ him. Before she could get a word in edgewise, he continued to list his qualifications loudly.

"YUP, WOULDA WORKED FOR DEIDRANNA, BUT THE JOB PAYS DINK AND I GOT SIX KIDS." He pointed to a set of beer bottles on the table, each filled with rock dust and each bearing a set of pasted-on googly eyes.

"SO I GUESS I'LL FLY FOR YOU, IF YOU CAN MUSTER UP THE GRAVY AND MEATBALLS. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN," he said, and elbowed Dagny in the ribs. Dagny was about to say that she would be happy to escort him to town, when he began to bellow once more. Dagny buried her head in her hands.

"I CHARGE BASED ON DISTANCE AND VOLUME. YOU PAY ME TWELVE RADIANS PER KILOSECTOR, AND I'LL GET YOU AND YOUR MEN WHERE YOU NEED TO GO. BUT I DON'T DO HOT DROPS, OR POP ROX." He seemed pleased by the rhyme, and held forward a contract for Dagny to sign.

I just lost it with that. That's the kind of writing I'm talking about for an LP.

You laugh, but in reality Skyrider will not shutup. They even included an option in 1.13 to mute the bastard.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Am I missing something?

Yes?

A perfectly executed combat mission in Jagged Alliance 2 is just like, say, a perfectly executed combat mission in Panzer General, or Squad Leader, or ... etc.

Basically, you get in, get your shit done, and expend an absolutely minimal amount of money, ammunition, lives, and time in order to accomplish your goal.

Architecting the perfect run, wherein you take, clean out, and hold a SAM site with a single fireteam through superior positioning, tactics, and execution is fun.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Am I missing something?

Yes?

A perfectly executed combat mission in Jagged Alliance 2 is just like, say, a perfectly executed combat mission in Panzer General, or Squad Leader, or ... etc.

Basically, you get in, get your shit done, and expend an absolutely minimal amount of money, ammunition, lives, and time in order to accomplish your goal.

Architecting the perfect run, wherein you take, clean out, and hold a SAM site with a single fireteam through
    superior positioning, tactics, and execution is fun.

and it sounds fun, too!
    except that in practice, "superior positions, tactics, and execution" in JA2 largely amount to going prone and shooting whatever targets happen to be convenient. Within tactical combat, the decisions offered to the player are simply not very interesting, at all, ever.

it's a real shame, too, because there's plenty of other things to like about the game.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So instead of actually using some tactics you just go prone and shoot at a guy 3 screens away?

No wonder you don't like this game.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So instead of actually using some tactics you just go prone and shoot at a guy 3 screens away?

No wonder you don't like this game.

Well duh, the path of least resistance is always the only correct one. Surely this is common knowledge!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's pretty much what I do and I love the hell out of it.

I like to get my whole team on a rooftop, prone and facing in different directions, wait until an enemy comes into view, pop him with a sniper, and then hold the roof as waves of enemies come at us. Occasionally I have to send a scout out to find where the rest of the guys are hiding, at which point I just move to another rooftop.

Dammit, I'm about to reinstall this, aren't I?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's pretty much what I do and I love the hell out of it.

I like to get my whole team on a rooftop, prone and facing in different directions, wait until an enemy comes into view, pop him with a sniper, and then hold the roof as waves of enemies come at us. Occasionally I have to send a scout out to find where the rest of the guys are hiding, at which point I just move to another rooftop.

Dammit, I'm about to reinstall this, aren't I?

My favorite way to fuck around in this is to goto the secret animal research lab and setup there. It only has one entrance with lots of windows facing in that direction, lots of lights, and a flat roof. plant a ton of landmines, remote triggered C4, etc, hole up in there with a couple guys on the roof (IE Reaper) and just spawn as many enemies as the cheat codes will allow.

"I am one with death"

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just don't understand how anyone could not find this game fun.

On my way to Drassen, my team has a skirmish with Dreidana's men. Middle of the night, middle of the forest. I position my team to sweep the area and shoot whoever appears. Bull and Ivan do their thing, as they should. Well, mostly. Guy right in front of you, fully aimed headshot? You miss worst than my grandma. And she's dead. Shoot barely aiming at a guy outside your weapon range? Blast his heart through the trees. Well, at least people die. I use my SMG pistol, guy gets shot three times and he still doesn't go down. I mean come on. Another shot convinces him that life is not that fun after all. Ire does her best, but perishes in combat. She will be missed and was a vital part of our team oh who am I kidding I'm glad she's dead, she couldn't shoot straight. This apparently sends MD into a killing frenzy that puts down about three enemies. He ain't no nurse-boy no more.

So much fun.

Is the death of Ira going to affect me? Are deaths in general really serious?

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just don't understand how anyone could not find this game fun.

On my way to Drassen, my team has a skirmish with Dreidana's men. Middle of the night, middle of the forest. I position my team to sweep the area and shoot whoever appears. Bull and Ivan do their thing, as they should. Well, mostly. Guy right in front of you, fully aimed headshot? You miss worst than my grandma. And she's dead. Shoot barely aiming at a guy outside your weapon range? Blast his heart through the trees. Well, at least people die. I use my SMG pistol, guy gets shot three times and he still doesn't go down. I mean come on. Another shot convinces him that life is not that fun after all. Ire does her best, but perishes in combat. She will be missed and was a vital part of our team oh who am I kidding I'm glad she's dead, she couldn't shoot straight. This apparently sends MD into a killing frenzy that puts down about three enemies. He ain't no nurse-boy no more.

So much fun.

Is the death of Ira going to affect me? Are deaths in general really serious?

You are right to celebrate Ira's death. I can hear her whiny, nasally voice in my head right now.

Your only loss by Ira dying is that she is actually a decent militia trainer.

Deaths do have an affect, but unless you're loosing like 5 guys a sector it shouldn't matter. I do recall mercs getting pissed if their partner died tho (Ie Ice and Magic, Ivan and Igor, Lynx and... Scope? I can't remember)

Kris_xK on