As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The search for tactical games: Aliens not necessary.

• Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All the talk about Steel Panthers reminds me of that grognard of grognard's games: Pacific War! It's also free like Steel Panthers (was Steel Panthers from Grigsby, too?) It's really an operational level game (leaning towards the strategic), but it's actually lots of fun once you understand the interface. I've still yet to get anything other than a minimal US victory, but still..

quarthinos on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is that the huge game that simulates the ground war and fleet battles of the entire Pacific Campaign published by Strategy First? Yeah, that's definitely operational level strategy, a little outside the scope of this thread. Still, I want that game pretty badly.

edit: Duh, yeah it's Matrix games. I always get them mixed up with Strategy First for some reason. Gary Grigsby is a god of wargaming though. Anything he does is pretty much guaranteed to be awesome.

edit 2: Fuck I'm really slow today. I'm thinking of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition, and it's still crazy expensive. Pacific War is apparently free? Oh ffffuuuu....

Drake on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Is that the huge game that simulates the ground war and fleet battles of the entire Pacific Campaign published by Strategy First? Yeah, that's definitely operational level strategy, a little outside the scope of this thread. Still, I want that game pretty badly.

Um... There is a new one published by Strategy First(?) that is a rewrite of the game I linked and runs it in a new engine (it's even designed by Gary Grigsby, the same as the old one). The one I linked is the free version from Matrix games of the old SSI game from like 198x. It's much less about the ground war and focuses heavily on the naval/air part of PTO. If you can live with a game that shows its obvious DOS roots and has a manual that's 120 pages long, I'd get it. But make sure you have lots of time if you want to play the full game. Each turn is a week of simulated time, and you start in Dec '41. You can finish a turn in a couple of minutes if you're just waiting for your CVs to finish repairing and you've got the AI controlling the India/Malay theatre, but if you want to run the entire game yourself, be prepared to spend about an hour a turn... If you haven't got the Japanese to surrender by 46 (maybe 47?), it gives you the result I normally get. (Essentially "Thanks for playing, but better luck next time!!" :()

quarthinos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm fine with DOS and DOSbox, actually. I care not how a game looks if the gameplay delivers. I've already grabbed the files off the site you linked, fired it up under DOSbox and gave it once over. The interface and graphics are clean, and knowing Grigsby any necessary info is just a click or two away. Thanks for giving me another timewrecker, I'm sure my wife is going to love hearing me moan about the loss of a pivotal taskforce whenever I emerge from my nerdcave. :p

Enough of this off-topic strategy talk, or else I'm going to start rambling about Korsun Pocket. I always end up in a corner talking to myself when I get on that one.

And yes, Grigsby also worked on SPWaW, which is one of the reasons for it's total awesomeness.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I found an old copy of Syndicate Plus unpacking a box not long ago. I threw it in my optical drive, slapped all the files into my DOSgames folder and then promptly got distracted by something else.

So anyway, yesterday I tweaked up a DOSbox config for it and played through a few missions. I'd totally forgotten what a hectic game it is. There is just so much going on at once, both in the management screen and the mission areas. Juggling tax incomes without inspiring revolts, keeping research optimized, and maintaining your Operatives equipment and mods while the clock is inexorably ticking away is a blast. Once in the mission area, things get really crazy. Enemy Syndicate Operatives can pop up (and will) at the worst moments, and while your Ops are gunning away with them (stacking up the civilian bystanders like firewood) you can bet the cops will show up and shoot you in the fucking back.

The Persuadotron is God.

Such good times.

Drake on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of Syndicate, wasn't a Dev (a rather respectable one IIRC) hinting that he may be working on a new Syndicate game?

Or was that a fever dream?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    5 of the first 6 results on Google for "New Syndicate" indicate that Starbreeze Studios (Riddick dudes) is on the case.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh right. I had forgotten that. Well I liked Riddick enough, though Syndicate is a fairly different game. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now that's interesting news. Any idea what direction they are taking the game? Because really, the gameplay doesn't need much. A better interface for managing your Operatives would be welcome, but also part of the tension of the game is micromanaging your dudes.

I hope it's not some kind of Enforcer-esque FPS spin off.

Drake on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cover system, bro!

I mentioned earlier that the original needs better pathfinding and would just about stand up against today's games.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so I was like 39 days into JA2 (hard saving ~once every 5-10 days) relying on quick save for the most part when I quicksaved at the instant that the game was crashing... I lost 9 days worth of taking two SAMs, the city with the hospital, and interrupt head asploding Mike the instant he spawned on map with a full C-mag of tracers from my gunner's SCAR-L.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tim James wrote: »
    Cover system, bro!

I mentioned earlier that the original needs better pathfinding and would just about stand up against today's games.

"You have been SYNDICATED."

Drake on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anytime I see "Mission Completed" in a game, I hear the Syndicate voice saying it. It took me the longest time to realize what they were saying because it sounds like, "Mission Complement".

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so I was like 39 days into JA2 (hard saving ~once every 5-10 days) relying on quick save for the most part when I quicksaved at the instant that the game was crashing... I lost 9 days worth of taking two SAMs, the city with the hospital, and interrupt head asploding Mike the instant he spawned on map with a full C-mag of tracers from my gunner's SCAR-L.

Get the latest 1.13. I have not had any crashes with it[and have with previous versions]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have a copy of syndacate wars...I think, the third one. I got it at a Carrefore in Dubai (you can get almost anything in that city, ANYTHING). I was going to play it but using doxbox with Crusader: No Regret turned me off.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pssh. DOSbox is a shining beacon of civilization.

Drake on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Syndicate needs to have a graphical love child with GTA:4. Or some other 3d game that involves cars, large cities and explosions.

Keep the gameplay obviously, that shit was hot.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Welp, I just ordered a new, sealed in the package Double Pack for Syndicate Wars and Warhammer Dark Omen.

13.95 with Shipping and Handling.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Welp, I just ordered a new, sealed in the package Double Pack for Syndicate Wars and Warhammer Dark Omen.

13.95 with Shipping and Handling.

Niiiiice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    wesleyshaverwesleyshaver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Try Knights of the Chalice. It is fantastic.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

Wes

wesleyshaver on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    *sigh*
    poxnora.
    I guess. =/

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Wes

This looks pretty neat but the perspective issues in the screenshots are messing with my brain :?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wes

This looks pretty neat but the perspective issues in the screenshots are messing with my brain :?

It's like someone tried to do Ultima VII-style art and didn't exactly think the perspective through for long enough.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, I see what you mean. I find my head tipping to the side just looking at those screenshots. I'd need a neckbrace if I played it.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'll be fine. The game is excellent with almost too many battles. It was nice to geek out on the tactical combat similar to ToEE.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So yeah, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

It seemed like a good game though.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Found another prospect for tactical goodness:
    Flotilla

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gosh, I want to like flotilla but having seperate steps for horizontal and vertical movement is really going to bug me.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gosh, I want to like flotilla but having seperate steps for horizontal and vertical movement is really going to bug me.

Christ, and that's with a demo battle featuring a couple ships. I can't imagine how godawfully tedious that's going to get when you have larger battles.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »

Christ, and that's with a demo battle featuring a couple ships. I can't imagine how godawfully tedious that's going to get when you have larger battles.

And here is where I am torn, its this flotilla battle system with customizable ships, which I really wanted, and turned based is not so bad. But I have played Homeworld and it worked very well, i liked that and I want more of homeworld. Speaking of which, does Sins of a Solar Empire control like HW?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And here is where I am torn, its this flotilla battle system with customizable ships, which I really wanted, and turned based is not so bad. But I have played Homeworld and it worked very well, i liked that and I want more of homeworld. Speaking of which, does Sins of a Solar Empire control like HW?

Sins of a Solar Empire isn't anything at all like Homeworld and it was misleading for anyone to ever suggest they had anything in common other than spaceships.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    I have the disks for JA2 and Unfinished biz. Thought about getting them on either gog.com or steam so I don't have to mess with the disks anymore. Steam's is slightly more expensive but also generally more convenient.

Anyone have an opinion on which would be better?

Apparently Steam's doesn't work with mods, so no 1.13 or anything. Not sure about gog.

GoG is great, just a plain instillation executable you download. While Steam is compatable with 1.13, it is roughly so, and a Steam seems to have a slightly flawed version also (videos don't work for lots of people for one thing) Strategy First (at least used to) sell JA2 on their own site as well, though it shipped with some built in DRM stuff in the .exe. However when you update to the 1.13 mod it gets rid of that as it runs an updated vanilla 1.12 exe.

the steam one was so terrible once i bought it i made customer service refund me and take it away. go for GOG.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    the steam one was so terrible once i bought it i made customer service refund me and take it away. go for GOG.

Yeah. Steam version is bugged and gives you unlimited funds. Also 1.13 can be a silly goose to get working.

Definitely go for the GoG.com version.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That sort of thing can be easily mitigated by creating Task Forces or what have you. Issue the same orders to user defined groups of ships. Another thing that could be handy is to have the ability to use predefined or even better, user defined order sets. Those kinds of features are fairly standard now.

Really, I didn't see anything in the interface that looked more complex than Homeworld. And at least he's putting in features like location specific armor values that will make the additional dimension interesting.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    vader111 wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

Yeah. Steam version is bugged and gives you unlimited funds. Also 1.13 can be a silly goose to get working.

Definitely go for the GoG.com version.

If you ever want to be confident in your ability to mod and fan patch a game, the GOG option is invariably better if it's available.

Drake on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    *sigh*
    poxnora.
    I guess. =/

Why are you dissing Poxnora? I used to love it.

Of course, that was not long after it came out. When it was a horribly unbalanced mess with lots of insta-screw combos. Is it still?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's still a mess for a wide variety of reasons.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge, yet. The game started being devloped as Jagged Alliance 3, but the developer lost the rights to the license, so now it's more of an homage than a sequel. Here's the official website: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/364/details/Hired.Guns:.The.Jagged.Edge

It got some pretty bad reviews when the English version came out, but there have been some good patches since then. It's not as good as Jagged Alliance 2, but it's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to Jagged Alliance 3, and I've had a lot of fun since with it. I paid $15 for it at Best Buy.

And on that note, has anybody tried the Jagged Alliance 2 expansion packs? This thread has made me want to give JA2 a try again, and I might have to track those down, just for something new.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if it's in vanilla or new to the 1.13 mod, but how do you fire grenades from rifle mounted launchers?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if it's in vanilla or new to the 1.13 mod, but how do you fire grenades from rifle mounted launchers?

Same way you change from single to burst to auto. Its right after auto.

Make sure that the grenade is loaded in the same way you attach attachments.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png