Options

The search for tactical games: Aliens not necessary.

• Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge, yet. The game started being devloped as Jagged Alliance 3, but the developer lost the rights to the license, so now it's more of an homage than a sequel. Here's the official website: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/364/details/Hired.Guns:.The.Jagged.Edge

It got some pretty bad reviews when the English version came out, but there have been some good patches since then. It's not as good as Jagged Alliance 2, but it's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to Jagged Alliance 3, and I've had a lot of fun since with it. I paid $15 for it at Best Buy.

And on that note, has anybody tried the Jagged Alliance 2 expansion packs? This thread has made me want to give JA2 a try again, and I might have to track those down, just for something new.

So it's good? That's cool..

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if it's in vanilla or new to the 1.13 mod, but how do you fire grenades from rifle mounted launchers?
    IIRC, you get to it by using the "select fire" button (defaults to "B" for "burst"). It'll go burst, auto, grenade.

Again, IIRC.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Expect the HE grenades to do 20-30 damage, nothing special.

Stun or Mustard grenades are much more useful!

Arrath on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Renegen wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge, yet. The game started being devloped as Jagged Alliance 3, but the developer lost the rights to the license, so now it's more of an homage than a sequel. Here's the official website: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/364/details/Hired.Guns:.The.Jagged.Edge

It got some pretty bad reviews when the English version came out, but there have been some good patches since then. It's not as good as Jagged Alliance 2, but it's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to Jagged Alliance 3, and I've had a lot of fun since with it. I paid $15 for it at Best Buy.

And on that note, has anybody tried the Jagged Alliance 2 expansion packs? This thread has made me want to give JA2 a try again, and I might have to track those down, just for something new.

So it's good? That's cool..

Hells yes. If you like Jagged Alliance, you'll like Hired Guns. Just make sure to get all the patches.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I don't know if it's in vanilla or new to the 1.13 mod, but how do you fire grenades from rifle mounted launchers?

Same way you change from single to burst to auto. Its right after auto.

Make sure that the grenade is loaded in the same way you attach attachments.

Ah, thanks. I looked all over but couldn't find it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And for something a bit different for all of you tacticians out there. (can't believe I forgot it)

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_the_jupiter_incident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhnRXdNXCw

It's a space tactical game with an cool story, good graphics and great tactics. If you love space, you must get this.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nexus was an absolutely brilliant game. I would kill for an actual sequel to that. Until then, it still has a pretty active mod community. And if you like Nexus, you'll probably like the Star Wolves games, too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nexus was an absolutely brilliant game. I would kill for an actual sequel to that. Until then, it still has a pretty active mod community. And if you like Nexus, you'll probably like the Star Wolves games, too.

Whoa, how have I never heard of these? Definitely going to look into this. Thanks man!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh good call, I remember Nexus now. I can't remember any specifics, but I remember it being a blast. I'll have to root around for the discs.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved Nexus, but the later missions always raped my face off.

Edit: seriously, it was like "Homeworld: Terror From The Deep: Rape Your Slack-jawed Face Right Damn Off."

IIRC.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    vader111 wrote: »
    I loved Nexus, but the later missions always raped my face off.

Edit: seriously, it was like "Homeworld: Terror From The Deep: Rape Your Slack-jawed Face Right Damn Off."

IIRC.

Yeah, you're pretty much guaranteed to get screwed the first time you play a Nexus mission. And probably the 2nd and the 3rd.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Whoa, how have I never heard of these? Definitely going to look into this. Thanks man!
    Is Star Wolves the one that has Starforce on their demos? I downloaded something with a similar generic name recently.

I'll have to look into Hired Guns again.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tim James wrote: »

Is Star Wolves the one that has Starforce on their demos? I downloaded something with a similar generic name recently.

I'll have to look into Hired Guns again.

Space Rangers had Starforce on the demos, I remember people getting pissed about that. I don't remember it being an issue with the Star Wolves series, but it's been a long time since I played them.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have never played any of the games in this thread, but I am fascinated and interested in having something fun that I can play on my netbook.

So, should I just buy X-com off of GOG? Seems to be some talk that GOG is the play to buy things from.

Where should I start with X-Com?

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Steam has the X-COM games for $5 each, and they work pretty well (integrated DOSBox). Not sure what GOG charges.

Start with the first, "Enemy Unknown".

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No X-COM on GoG. Steam is the way to go for easy X-COM action.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I have never played any of the games in this thread, but I am fascinated and interested in having something fun that I can play on my netbook.

So, should I just buy X-com off of GOG? Seems to be some talk that GOG is the play to buy things from.

Yes.

Read the manual. Lose, horribly, your first game. Do much better your second. :)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From the Steam thread:
    Hawk wrote: »
    UFO Extraterrestials GOLD??

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37030/

Anyone play this? The metacritic reviews of the non-gold version are widely divergent.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Someone mentioned earlier that Abomination: The Nemesis Project had coop, is this true?

And are there any other coop tactical games ya'll know of.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Someone mentioned earlier that Abomination: The Nemesis Project had coop, is this true?

Abomination did have co-op and was the only way to really play that game without it totally sucking.

Fallout: Tactics had awesome co-op.

Hensler on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »

Yes.

Read the manual. Lose, horribly, your first game. Do much better your second. :)

God I love this game. It's really the atmosphere.

I set all speeds on fastest so it's like:

your guys move silently for minutes, but you know something is out there.

sounds in the distance... door opening? what?
    ... nothing.

next turn: scouting the field... end turn
    THEN-
    enemymovement. what the hell was that?!
    MOVEMENT-REACTIONFIREhit! ohgodENEMYPLASMA!
    *AAAUGH* another enemy?! REACTION FIRE
    and again! GRENADE?! *BOOM* *AAAUGH*
    MINDCONTROL MINDCONTROL
    MINDCONTROL
    RANDOM LASER FIRE

it is now your turn.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Abomination did have co-op and was the only way to really play that game without it totally sucking.

Fallout: Tactics had awesome co-op.

We are talkin LAN or online right

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright so you are sending me a copy Hensler?

yeah?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    From the Steam thread:

Anyone play this? The metacritic reviews of the non-gold version are widely divergent.

Its good. The mods included with Gold (yes, they included user-made mods in the new retail package, we're that good :lol:) make the game a lot more X-com like.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, Hired Guns IS Jagged Alliance.

They even use the same code to create your own merc.

And this UFO Gold thing looks good too. So many remakes, im so happy.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    From the Steam thread:

Its good. The mods included with Gold (yes, they included user-made mods in the new retail package, we're that good :lol:) make the game a lot more X-com like.

Is that the BMan mod or something? I could only tolerate some that game with the mod, as opposed to none at all without it.

Also, isn't when the developer includes user-made mods (however awesome or not) basically admitting defeat? Sort of acknowledging that their base game is pretty terrible in comparison?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    From the Steam thread:

Is that the BMan mod or something? I could only tolerate some that game with the mod, as opposed to none at all without it.

Also, isn't when the developer includes user-made mods (however awesome or not) basically admitting defeat? Sort of acknowledging that their base game is pretty terrible in comparison?

CivIV: BTS and Fall From Heaven say "Hi." :)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From the Steam thread:

Can you rename your squad member's names? What about leveling?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright so you are sending me a copy Hensler?

yeah?

Negative, chief. Check amazon.com, they have most old games for pretty cheap.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

UFO Afterlight is good too. It's made by a completely different company than UFO Extraterrestrials as far as I know, but it's the same gameplay as X-Com. I think the series has progressively gotten better with each installment. UFO Afterlight takes place on Mars, it's awesome.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited February 2010

UFO Afterlight is good too. It's made by a completely different company than UFO Extraterrestrials as far as I know, but it's the same gameplay as X-Com. I think the series has progressively gotten better with each installment. UFO Afterlight takes place on Mars, it's awesome.

Is Afterlight the most recent game? I'd be interested in trying that.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Echo is currently doing a Let's Play of the game. I tried to play the second one (UFO: Aftershock) but the lack of polish and testing turned me off completely. You might find a different game-breaking bug at different points on four different playthroughs like I did. I really wanted to like the game too, because the class system was phenominal.

It's really not like X-COM in terms of atmosphere either; nothing gets close.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Echo is currently doing a Let's Play of the game. I tried to play the second one (UFO: Aftershock) but the lack of polish and testing turned me off completely. You might find a different game-breaking bug at different points on four different playthroughs like I did. I really wanted to like the game too, because the class system was phenominal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYiamQpwuB0

It's really not like X-COM in terms of atmosphere either; nothing gets close.

Yes, Afterlight is the latest one, be sure to use the patches.
    As far as atmosphere goes, I guess he's talking about the "dark and creepy" feel you might get in X-Com. I never really got that feeling but Afterlight has a lot of tough enemies and different races so it will definitively keep you on your toes.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Started playing Afterlight. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's just not as compelling as X-Com. I don't know what the secret of the X-Com games is, but they have that great "just one more turn!" thing going on. I don't get that from Afterlight.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Homeworld-esque tactical rpg series, Star Wolves. Today I was looking to repurchase the first game, and found a website that says a new game is coming out in a week! Star Wolves 3 looks like it will be a lot of fun, and have a high level of tactical gameplay like the others: http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star-wolves-3-civil-war/overview

Hensler on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Homeworld-esque tactical rpg series, Star Wolves. Today I was looking to repurchase the first game, and found a website that says a new game is coming out in a week! Star Wolves 3 looks like it will be a lot of fun, and have a high level of tactical gameplay like the others: http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star-wolves-3-civil-war/overview

Well that's really interesting. Someone will definitely have to report back and tell us how this is. Not me, though. I'm too busy :(

Also you get Star Wolves 1 and 2 if you prepurchase on Steam.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well that's really interesting. Someone will definitely have to report back and tell us how this is. Not me, though. I'm too busy :(

Only $30 for 3 Star Wolves games? I know nothing about the new one, but I'd buy that just to play the first 2 again. Very nice deal. I'll let you know how #3 is when it comes out.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

So, I watched the trailer for SW 3, and from what I can tell ... it's Homeworld? Not that this is a bad thing, but is there a way to find out more about how these games actually play?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've struggled to find details on Star Wolves 3 as well. I can't tell if it's like Elite + Homeworld or not as freeform as that. There were a couple of gameplay videos of older games that showed some of the interface, but not how it all fit together. Definitely waiting on this one for reviews and some more videos. My guess (but don't take my word for it) is that the SW1/2 bonus will still be available after release.

Tim James on
    sig.gif