6929.jpg

Bogart on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I wanted 6949. That series was out about the same time as the snow space guys.

Which I've now found out is called Ice Planet 2002. I have most of these.

6973-1.jpg

So get this. The two pilots break off into two individual snow speeders. The big back cargo breaks out into like, a mobile base kinda deal and then the center opens up for another compartment.

I had that set, and it was fucking awesome.

oh! oh! and that white/clear orange part on the back? It was like a garage door!

Which was awesome because then I could actually use it for a garage door on something else.

I remember having that as one of the first lego sets I can remember! The problem is it makes me feel incredibly old to think that it was at least 15 years ago that that range came out. It really does make me very nostalgic this thread as lego played such an integral role in my childhood.

Does anyone happen to remember the spacepolice/rangers that were about at a similar time to the ice range above?

Yup, I have that space ice ski thing. Was awesome. It's upstairs in the attic sadly, still intact!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Lego of my childhood.

Classic_Space_1979.jpg

The crown jewel of my Lego as a kid.

6929.jpg

These older sets really highlight LEGO then and now. These ones look like LEGO and require a certain degree of imagination to really picture a space ship.

The new ones use so many specialized and new parts that they look like models.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm. Amazon has £10 off the Republic Attack Shuttle (8019). It's still pricey, but that puts it a tenner below the Y-Wing. Decisions, decisions.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I would play with my legos all day as a kid. And then my stupid jerk cousin would take my models and smash them into the ground. To this day I remember him taking my space shuttle out of my hands and throwing it at the floor. I was so sad :(

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    These older sets really highlight LEGO then and now. These ones look like LEGO and require a certain degree of imagination to really picture a space ship.

Also it seems like modern sets feel the need to cover up all the exposed studs with smooth pieces (which, btw, are very difficult for an 8 year old to pry off once they're set). The older stuff wasn't afraid to let the studs show.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How often is the Lego Digital Designer updated? Because it's missing a number of pieces I like to use, and strangely so - it has wings; but not the wings with the 'hook' in them (for lack of a better word). And they have a 'roof tile 4x2/18* INV; but not the slightly longer version.

Also, the 'if you use this piece you can't price the model!' seems more random than I'd care for.
    edit: it's still random as far as 'but ... why' goes, though I'm now seeing an indicator.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I note that the minifigs in the pop up box don't use the traditional legs. They use 1x1 cones and two 1x1 rounds.
    I've seen builders do that a lot, I guess it creates slightly more realistic legs and lets you put shoes on them.
    KalTorak wrote: »

Also it seems like modern sets feel the need to cover up all the exposed studs with smooth pieces (which, btw, are very difficult for an 8 year old to pry off once they're set). The older stuff wasn't afraid to let the studs show.
    And then the fan community takes it to the extreme. I can certainly appreciate the smooth SNOT look, both for the skill involved as well as the finished product itself, but at the same time I kind of like being reminded that what I'm looking at was made out of Lego.

For example, contrast the ships ProPatriaMori and I posted on the previous page. The Hood features a lot of SNOT work:

2833539360_df13f0aec4.jpg

While the Yamato features next to none:

3656555181_a5abbab48a.jpg

While the latter technique is somewhat looked down on, I really appreciate it for not being afraid to show itself for what it is and I get much more of a "holy crap, that's made out of Lego!" feel from the slightly rougher Yamato.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I note that the minifigs in the pop up box don't use the traditional legs. They use 1x1 cones and two 1x1 rounds.
    I've seen builders do that a lot, I guess it creates slightly more realistic legs and lets you put shoes on them.

And then the fan community takes it to the extreme. I can certainly appreciate the smooth SNOT look, both for the skill involved as well as the finished product itself, but at the same time I kind of like being reminded that what I'm looking at was made out of Lego.

For example, contrast the ships ProPatriaMori and I posted on the previous page. The Hood features a lot of SNOT work:
    2833539360_df13f0aec4.jpg

While the Yamato features next to none:
    3656555181_a5abbab48a.jpg

While the latter technique is somewhat looked down on, I really appreciate it for not being afraid to show itself for what it is and I get much more of a "holy crap, that's made out of Lego!" feel from the slightly rougher Yamato.

I like this post. It is a good post. I mean, I love SNOT technique (but HATE the acronym), but I really agree that the second model looks more like LEGO than model. Now I feel better about not having fifty-million flat pieces to cover my exposed studs.

Makes my diorama I will attempt this weekend (depending on how the sorting goes D:) feel a bit less scary once I embrace the studs

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, i'm using Lego Digital Designer here, and i'm trying to figure out how to move the hinge, but not the brick. For instance i've got a brick here with a hinge on the top right hand side. I want to put another brick next to it with the hinge on the top left hand side? How the hell do I do that?!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Edit for not next: with regards to the battleship pictures.

Uhh, no, one of those does not have more SNOT work than the other. The first one is just has smooth panels stuck on top of the studs that would otherwise be on top. SNOT implies the studs go a different direction, like to the side or to the bottom, not that they stuck paneling on top of the studs.

edit2: The sides of the turrets on the hood are SNOT, but the fact that it looks smoother is not. They are separate issues.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »

Uhh, no, one of those does not have more SNOT work than the other. The first one is just has smooth panels stuck on top of the studs that would otherwise be on top. SNOT implies the studs go a different direction, like to the side or to the bottom, not that they stuck paneling on top of the studs.

I have always used SNOT to refer to any case when studs weren't showing

I assumed the meaning had been expanded to include smooth sets.

Arch on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What does SNOT stand for?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What does SNOT stand for?

"Studs Not on Top"

Its in the OP, along with a link to a glossary of fan-terms

Arch on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Nah, you can't just plate things to make them SNOT. At least not in my book.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What if I sneeze on it?
    god I am sorry I have been sitting on that joke since I first saw the acronym and I almost put it in the OP

Well...I...what do you call it then? Plating?

I still call it SNOT because studs aren't on top. A smooth surface is. It is 'easy' SNOT building, but I consider it SNOT.

Lets stop this so I don't have to type a sentence like that ever again.

Arch on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Ok, i'm using Lego Digital Designer here, and i'm trying to figure out how to move the hinge, but not the brick. For instance i've got a brick here with a hinge on the top right hand side. I want to put another brick next to it with the hinge on the top left hand side? How the hell do I do that?!

Not sure I follow completely, but you might want to connect a handle, then use the Hinge Tool to twist the piece in question around. I've gotten some strange angles doing that.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »

Not sure I follow completely, but you might want to connect a handle, then use the Hinge Tool to twist the piece in question around. I've gotten some strange angles doing that.

And when you use the hing tool, a wheel appears in the upper left corner. You can't click and drag the hinge to where you want it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For all of you saying that modern sets come with "too many specialized pieces that can only be used once," you should check Lego groups on Flickr, the brothers-brick.com blogs, etc. I guarantee you, someone has made something cool and interesting with that "specialized" piece.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bleh, i've reached a point in this tutorial where the construction requires a complex procedure for a computer, where if I were doing it by hand it would be simple :(

WMain00 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The continued lack of love for Mindstorms confuses me.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »

Mindstorms are awesome for the use in AI programming but they're also pretty damn expensive. I've used one Mindstorm back when they were just coming out and it was pretty damn good. I would be extremely tempted to buy one again given how intelligent they are and how useful it is for programming fun.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Digging through mounds of Legos tears up your cuticles something fierce.

It makes you a man.

That's what it does.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »

I went through a Mindstorms "phase" in High school. In screwed around a little with Not Quite C. It was fun. I enjoyed screwing around with robots and trying to make my programs work. It also taught me that I am NOT going to be an engineer anytime soon. Designing robots is HARD WORK. It's complicated to make everything work right.

I've still got the complete set, along with the Droid Developer kit (Read: R2D2).

I did the Star Wars Lego thing for a while, but that got old. I've discovered that I like other themes better now.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I took an AI & Robotics class in college and we used Mindstorm kits for the Robotics part of it.

The professor wasn't as amused as I was that I figured out how to make the robot do stuff while playing the Super Mario Bros. theme.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    medium_2226794581_26a9e0868f_o.jpg

There was another set I loved with some sportsbike X-Team stuff.

Can't find a photo.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, my love of Lego has been reignited by looking at some of these. I really just want to build some bg space cruiser and play with it now.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/neoclassicspace/pool/

Asiriya on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Asiriya wrote: »
    Man, my love of Lego has been reignited by looking at some of these. I really just want to build some bg space cruiser and play with it now.

Love this one.

4092189907_012e5227bc.jpg

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This thread is awesome.

Seriously, I get a "oh god yeah that set was awesome, man and that other set I had as a kid was awesome too"-moment every 10 seconds.

Julius on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, this is a long shot, but it's worth a try...

I had this one lego set when I was a kid... The pieces could be made into several different things. If I recall correctly, it was a car, a truck, a gas station, and a huge RV. I think you could have the gas station and either the car or the truck at the same time, but the RV took the whole set.

Anyone remember this?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Asiriya wrote: »

Love this one.

4092189907_012e5227bc.jpg

Okay, that one's pretty rad.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Alright, this is a long shot, but it's worth a try...

I had this one lego set when I was a kid... The pieces could be made into several different things. If I recall correctly, it was a car, a truck, a gas station, and a huge RV. I think you could have the gas station and either the car or the truck at the same time, but the RV took the whole set.

Anyone remember this?

Just start browsing on Brickset.com. You can sort sets by date and look around when you were a kid. You'll find it eventually.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So what are the best sets out right now for an adult who needs a LEGO building fix?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LEGO is the best toy ever made. If my parents hadn't been buying them for me from the time I was 3 (I never had Duplo, actually; apparently I was good about not putting things in my mouth) I would probably not be in engineering school today. The first one I can remember putting together all by myself (I can't remember my actual first) was

6670-1.jpg

Near the end of the year 1995, however, I would embark on a LEGO quest of epic proportions. Over the course of the next 10 years, a single epic hero (whose name would come to be known as Terrendos) would step out of his traditional modern-day world and into history.

His early adventures involved him traversing between several small islands hovering over infinity, linked by primitive transit systems. Ultimately he discovered that these islands were the sole remains of a world that had been obliterated by a malevolent spirit whose form in the world was that of a sphere of fire. There was hope, however, because there was a second spirit, kind and benevolent, who took a similar form and used our hero as a means of vanquishing his eternal foe. Over the course of the next year, he would cannibalize what he could from amongst the transit systems and the different islands to construct a vessel capable of reaching the Dark Spirit's home, and traveling there despite nearly constant breakdowns and setbacks. When he finally got there, TRAGEDY STRUCK! His ship was completely destroyed, along with his backup, in a purge that destroyed not only those islands that had been his home but also the Good Spirit as well. (translation: my Dad finally got sick of me having all my stuff all over the floor and dumped it all into a plastic tub).

Fortunately, a shred of the Good Spirit's power had been imparted to our hero, and he used it to salvage a single island that became his refuge during this second apocalypse. Discovering an alternative means of travel, our hero finally left this world and found others with new technologies he could barter. With these new capabilities, he constructed a magnificent new vessel, one that still exists (modified substantially) to this very day. With a new ship to fight this menace and a few new allies, he managed to turn the Dark Spirit aside permanently and bring peace and life back to the shattered world.

Let's see... other adventures he had as he slowly built his reputation and nakama:
    Battle with the Indestructible Robot
    Colonization of the Desert World
    Peace Amongst the Giant Robots
    The Attack of the Infinite Army
    Space Station IR-284
    The Last Explorien
    Voyage to the Underworld
    The Perfect Human
    The First Apocalpse of Man and the Dark Times
    The Era of Prosperity
    The Interdimensional War
    Legacy of the Ancient Ones
    Return of the Three Heroes
    The Fourth Hero and His Failing
    The True Destiny of All Great Heroes
    The Final Era of True Peace

There's probably a few more I don't remember too

So yeah, basically I composed probably a dozen or so epic tales worth of stories centered around a single character. In retrospect, I kind of wish I had written some of them down. Obviously most of it would be crap since I was like 7 at the time of most of these and I can barely stand to read stuff I wrote in 8th grade. But still, it would have been nice to look back. I finally ended his story in 2005, when I felt that he deserved to live happily for the rest of his days since he had spent hundreds of years all told (much of it time skipped due to intergalactic travel, suspended animation, and the like) in service to humanity.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    lots

You are the coolest.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    lots

You are the coolest.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Perhaps a sarcmark would help.

Incidentally, I doubt there's any coincidence that my favorite genre is the epic, and I find the study of the genre fascinating.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    So what are the best sets out right now for an adult who needs a LEGO building fix?
    There's the Creator line that you might find good. More basic parts, and sets that have instructions for a couple different models as well as half-decent parts/$ ratio.

Fair enough - though I would say that flat plates are SNOT, but that SNOT is also much, much more than just flat plates. Just because the parts are (largely) oriented stud-side-up (though covered) doesn't disqualify it. But my example may not have been the best.

Another example - I really like this guy's models, and he does nothing to hide studs either:

2455728367_56f070c55b.jpg

Compared to this (amusingly described by Twee-Affect as "a breathtakingly vulgar display of wealth and excess"):

4282102051_3e13d682bb.jpg

Granted, the main wings are largely plated, but there's more of an effort to employ SNOT . . . and it loses something (not to mention that certain parts are a little off because of the obsession with building the whole thing in an accurate metallic colour - pieces which, by the way, cost from $0.50 to $2.00 each). Of course SNOT's not all bad, not at all, just that I think regular studs-on-top deserves praise too for not only also being remarkable in itself, but for also being more self-aware (if that's the right way to put it).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was a poor, unfortunate soul as a child.

I had Loc Blocs.

Pity me.

Tach on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It pains me to think that, when I was a teenager, I gave away my lego to some neighbourhood kids. Three bucketload worth of lego, that I could have been using right now to make cool stuff. Just gone, to make some stupid kids happy.

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.