Options

I'M TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am going to graduate this year and I am fully terrified

I was never so happy until college and it is all being yanked out from under me

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »
    So where do you go to school Wook?

UC Irvine

I applied to a ridiculous number of schools but not to there.. :cry:

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i coulda graduated a semester early now i am regretting not doing so that was silly of me, wasting my parents money basically

but at the same time i kind of like it here

i talked to my friend who graduated early he is in buenos aires, i coulda done that tho or something like that so i am dumb

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, man, bright college years.
    Or whatever they say at your school.
    I could technically have gotten out in three years with AP credit, but I would have had less time to do neat college stuff (of the academic and non-academic variety) and my parents wouldn't hear of it.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    your parents wouldnt hear of spending 51k less or whatever

hm

yeah i am taking cool classes this semester and whatnot

and on ski team
    and back at jiu jitsu

so that's good

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, they're not paying anywhere near full freight.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

UC Irvine

I, however, applied to UCI.

Wook, we can be besties.

<3 on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    I'm going to my philosophy tutorial in a few minutes. Maybe I get that half-assed essay back everyone had to do. Also, we're discussing Kant right now. :?

Protip:
    Kant is like Metallica. Old and somewhat overrated.

I will fuck your mother like a silly goose if you besmirch the name of Metallica again.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to my philosophy tutorial in a few minutes. Maybe I get that half-assed essay back everyone had to do. Also, we're discussing Kant right now. :?

Protip:

I will fuck your mother like a silly goose if you besmirch the name of Metallica again.

Obviously you don't know my mother.
    Or good music.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Protip:

Obviously you don't know my mother.
    Old and somewhat overrated.

Your last spoiler is now more accurate.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

UC Irvine

I, however, applied to UCI.

Wook, we can be besties.

yeah, and I'll totally be able to pick you out as the Asian guy

the wook on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The new school thread.

I just got an email from a faculty at UCSC saying that I will most likely be admitted (with funding!). And there are a couple of get-to-know-you questions.

I'm very excited!

Talk about university admission here.

Dude, congrats! UCSD and San Diego rock so much (San Diego more than UCSD)

And SDSU is just about 15 minutes from LaJolla in case you actually want to have fun so

I haven't got squat! That spells bad for me. You applied to comp.eng. or comp.sci.?

You should post your result here http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?t=m&pp=250

Now you can finally stop being sad

hectorse on
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I need to apply to grad school come the fall, what does everyone recommend for GRE prep? I need to check still to see if any of the potential places I want to apply require the biology subject test, which could be scary.

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I need to apply to grad school come the fall, what does everyone recommend for GRE prep? I need to check still to see if any of the potential places I want to apply require the biology subject test, which could be scary.

1254673412-51zhiv6uezl.jpg

Got me a 750 quant when all I was getting were 600's

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    The new school thread.

I just got an email from a faculty at UCSC saying that I will most likely be admitted (with funding!). And there are a couple of get-to-know-you questions.

I'm very excited!

Talk about university admission here.

Dude, congrats! UCSD and San Diego rock so much (San Diego more than UCSD)

And SDSU is just about 15 minutes from LaJolla in case you actually want to have fun so

I haven't got squat! That spells bad for me. You applied to comp.eng. or comp.sci.?

You should post your result here http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?t=m&pp=250

Now you can finally stop being sad

SC not SD

<3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also i just got an email from berkeley saying they got all my stuff.

ugh such a cocktease.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So this semester I am going to be teaching at the local university... go me

The pay is awful
    also i just got an email from berkeley saying they got all my stuff.

ugh such a cocktease.

Yeah, got that one too

hectorse on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i keep getting random info e-mails about degree information or whatever from denver and it always fakes me out

my hopes get so high and then so crushed

satansfingers on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am wavering between super-excited and petrified for grad school (I'd say it's about 80-20, and the percentage will shift the closer it gets I'm sure). I just want other schools to get back to me now so I can make a final decision and look for housing and whatnot.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In May I will have been out of college as long as I was in it. This makes me feel ridiculously old. College only seemed like a year or two ago.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In May I will have been out of college as long as I was in it. This makes me feel ridiculously old. College only seemed like a year or two ago.

I graduated college in 2000. In the spring/summer of this year I will be out of college a decade. I feel like Druhim watching Murder She Wrote while eating prunes.

Hunter on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man I've just now been to a management psychology lecture and the professor was totally rad. He even talked about the PS3 and how the guy coming up with the backwards compatibility fucked up.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i figured the anxiety of being done with applications and having nothing to do but wait would be less than the anxiety of having a shitload of applications to finish

this is not in fact the case

satansfingers on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i figured the anxiety of being done with applications and having nothing to do but wait would be less than the anxiety of having a shitload of applications to finish

go out now and get as much bone on as possible

there's no time for that in college

the wook on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have so much work I should be doing, but I'm so ill.

I have two websites to be finished by the end of February, a music video and I'm starting iPhone development next week. Harrrrrghularaghra

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've been lied to!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've been lied to!

In most colleges if you try to get your bone on, they'll clip the end of your dick off.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ugh I just learned yesterday that apparently my advisor lied to me about my senior year. I was told the nanotech option I'm taking needed only a design project senior year, but now I'm being told I need to do research, which means three semesters of getting a project with a professor and working constantly in a lab.

I do not have time for this with a full class load and a co-op! So I need to either find a way around it or switch to the products and processes option.

Squall on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    how do humanities people do it, i am in ONE literature class because i thought it would be cool to do one before i graduated, but there is so much reading

i'm used to math classes with problem sets that i spent 1-4 hours on a week not reading where i need to read all the time every day, i need my free time

and then there are people who take multiple history/lit classes at once, preposterous

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm the opposite way. If I'm taking a humanities class, I know that's the class I'm getting an A in.

You curl up with a book and a blanket. You read. Then you go to class and talk about it. It's delightful.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I'm looking at this teaching certificate thing more and more.

Teach high school english, have them pay for my master's and then go on to teach at a college or university, either english, PR, communications...whatever.

Hm.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    teaching at university like get your phd and teach at university? You already have the dr title.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm the opposite way. If I'm taking a humanities class, I know that's the class I'm getting an A in.

You curl up with a book and a blanket. You read. Then you go to class and talk about it. It's delightful.

i mean, i'm not saying it is hard in terms of the grades, but my grades don't matter, i get A's anyway, and this is my last semester

i'm saying it's hard in terms of time and me being totally ADD

like i can't read fast, i take a long time to read things, and i reread passages because my mind wanders while i read sometimes

i just feel like 170 pages of dostoyevsky is a lot for 2 nights for me

not to say i don't enjoy the reading, i do, that's why i'm taking this class, it is just a lot of reading in a very short amount of time and demands a mental focus that math problem sets don't as much

i think the key to it all is mental focus which i lack, but i'm not gonna go on pills or nothin though i could probably be prescribed them due to my past diagnoses... but side effects ain't worth it since i get by as is

woo russian literature!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i didn't get the handout for something i was supposed to read for english today

was planning on just printing it out this morning

virginia woolf liked to write a lot didn't she

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    got two more results, A and a B, still have the grade for my best exam to come

8-)

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

i mean, i'm not saying it is hard in terms of the grades, but my grades don't matter, i get A's anyway, and this is my last semester

like i can't read fast, i take a long time to read things, and i reread passages because my mind wanders while i read sometimes

not to say i don't enjoy the reading, i do, that's why i'm taking this class, it is just a lot of reading in a very short amount of time and demands a mental focus that math problem sets don't as much

i think the key to it all is mental focus which i lack, but i'm not gonna go on pills or nothin though i could probably be prescribed them due to my past diagnoses... but side effects ain't worth it since i get by as is

woo russian literature!

Lucky you with your pretty grades.
    No, no don't take pills! Hot cup of tea. Nice music. Cozy couch. Death, destruction, and lots of Russian Orthodox Guilt. Go get 'em, tiger.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    teaching at university like get your phd and teach at university? You already have the dr title.

Well, you can teach at a university with a master's generally. You just kind of work towards your phd while you're there.

Though, I suppose I should just walk up and say "I'm already a doctor, employ me."

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    these russians were grim dudes man

goodness

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2010

woo russian literature!

Lucky you with your pretty grades.
    No, no don't take pills! Hot cup of tea. Nice music. Cozy couch. Death, destruction, and lots of Russian Orthodox Guilt. Go get 'em, tiger.

I took Greek/Roman mythology and Slavic folklore. You read kickass stories about awesome shit. So the reading was worthwhile.

<3 on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

at one point I thought I had checked a wrong box and applied for the wrong MA program. pretty sure my heart stopped beating long enough for me to be considered technically dead. that was probably as stressful as it got for me!

bowtiedseal on
This discussion has been closed.