As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'Vanquish' By Shinji Mikami - Oh Hey It's Out!

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, this game is looking so awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Interview.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-vanquish/700700?type=flv

<3 shinji mikami.

Also <3 the fact that lighting a cig is actually gameplay relevant. :lol:

More gameplay.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30128

Antihippy on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Mikami before. Mikami is awesome. More people should listen to that guy.

Monger on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like him. He seems like a really down-to-earth guy.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm jsut weighing in on the armor, looks like Halo + Shadow Complex.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The gameplay in this looks awesome. The setting and plot are the only things holding my interest back.

It looks cheesy, but not in a funny Shinji Mikami-way. I'm really hoping more is released to make this world seem less generic. This is my only quibble!

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like the part where it calls America a "peaceful" nation. :lol: This must be in the distant future.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like the part where it calls America a "peaceful" nation. :lol: This must be in the distant future.

Compared to some place like China or Russia or Mexico or Greece or...

America is peaceful nation. Within its own borders, for most of the population, our country is a nice peaceful place. You don't have ethnic riots, huge segments of society going on strike, an actual shooting war in the streets between cartels and the state, etc.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    But you do have rocket boots.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Compared to some place like China or Russia or Mexico or Greece or...

America is peaceful nation. Within its own borders, for most of the population, our country is a nice peaceful place. You don't have ethnic riots, huge segments of society going on strike, an actual shooting war in the streets between cartels and the state, etc.

Yes but in the clip they are talking about someone attacking them. "Oh why would someone attack our peaceful nation? We never do anything to anyone!" Ha ha ha ha

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guys, guys, it's a Shinji Mikami game don't put so much thought into it.

That being said.

"We have approximately 8 hours to stop that from happening...we WILL stop that from happening."

:cry:

FOR AMERIKUH!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That being said.

"We have approximately 8 hours to stop that from happening...we WILL stop that from happening."

FOR AMERIKUH!

Yeah this stuff is cracking me up. That part there was extra funny "We WILL stop that from happening" ha ha ha. There are other countries in the world too. The irony of it being all Americanized by a Japanese dev is a little weird to me too. I'm not a big fan of overly Americanized games so i probably wont pick this one up unless the gameplay is insanely good.

I mean i dont actually have anything against Americans, but i just dont like games/movies ect that ignore all other countries in the world as if they dont exsist at all. Like Independence Day the movie, fuckin hated it.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What do you mean, overtly Americanized?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

When they focus way to much on American patriotism in games/movies it completely turns me off of them, not being American and all that. It makes them very hard to relate with for me.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I don't have too much of a problem with that since I'm American and America is awesome.

That being said I also watch a lot of anime where Japan is the richest, most awesomest country in the world with giant robots and everything, and I can't really say that bothers me. Because you know, giant robots.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That being said.

FOR AMERIKUH!

Yeah this stuff is cracking me up. That part there was extra funny "We WILL stop that from happening" ha ha ha. There are other countries in the world too. The irony of it being all Americanized by a Japanese dev is a little weird to me too. I'm not a big fan of overly Americanized games so i probably wont pick this one up unless the gameplay is insanely good.

I mean i dont actually have anything against Americans, but i just dont like games/movies ect that ignore all other countries in the world as if they dont exsist at all. Like Independence Day the movie, fuckin hated it.

It doesn't ignore all the other countries in the world. The bad guys are Russian!

It's like an '80s action movie, don't take it so seriously :P

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

When they focus way to much on American patriotism in games/movies it completely turns me off of them, not being American and all that. It makes them very hard to relate with for me.
    You do realize that, being a game from Platinum that is directed by Shinji Mikami, the whole of the premise may not be entirely serious, right? Like, you are aware and are understanding of the high probability of cheese and outright satire, aren't you?

Are you picking up what I'm putting down here?

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    THe guy in the robot suit used to be a pro american football player.

Yeah.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys, even if it's not serious here, it is serious in a lot of games, and I can definitely see how that'd rub someone the wrong way.

Also, you're trying to argue with how he feels about something with logic. It's like you're operating on two different planes.

You might try accepting that not everyone will 500% masturbate all over this game, as much fun as the hype train is to be on.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I absolutely love the fact that if you hold still behind cover for more than a few seconds Sam start smoking a cigarette.

It's like the game is saying what the fuck are you doing here sitting behind cover go boost around and do flips off robots and shit.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The awesome thing is that it's not an idle animation iirc and it's gameplay relevant.

If you flick the cigarette away the robots follow the heat source so you can distract them. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    You might try accepting that not everyone will 500% masturbate all over this game, as much fun as the hype train is to be on.
    I don't associate without masturbating, regardless of circumstance.

I'm masturbating right now.
    I don't mind people not liking whatever, but I like to make sure they understand exactly what it is that they're not liking. I have misunderstood things in the past, yet come to love them when I shifted my perspective.

Monger on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    THe guy in the robot suit used to be a pro american football player.

Yeah.

For AMERICA!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sort of new video clip with some new moves. Looks like you get a Boba Fett style wrist gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtxg0JsfL8

And here's some of the preorder weapons:

4775077513_c6189e7dc8.jpg

4775077465_8854749c3b.jpg

That pistol is almost an exact copy of Deunan Knute's heavy pistol/shotgun from Appleseed. That's a good thing.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man. They keep showing the same level.

It's a pretty awesome looking level, but throw us something else shinji yeesh. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The mess with Deadly Assassin pre-order from Gamestop outfit in Red Dead Redemption might have turned me off pre-ordering anything for a long time, maybe forever.

I hope this game has some variety in the levels. They keep showing that same level in every stinking movie.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They're only showing that level so the other ones will be a surprise!

Same thing they did with Bayonetta, come to think of it.

EDIT: Oh, and Shiji Mikami recently wrote a blog post on the Platinum Games blog. Check it out.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My goodness. This is the first time I've been seriously hyped about playing a first person game on a console.

I dig this whole gig.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My goodness. This is the first time I've been seriously hyped about playing a first person game on a console.

I dig this whole gig.

Every piece of media suggests this is third person game, bro.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I dig this whole gig.

Every piece of media suggests this is third person game, bro.

Right right.

Over the shoulder etc etc.

FPS basically means shooter to me.

I should have said "shooter". My bad.

I don't realllllly see a functional difference in a completely locked behind the shoulder third person game versus a first person game. Like, the main difference is you can see the cool shit you are pulling off.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't realllllly see a functional difference in a completely locked behind the shoulder third person game versus a first person game. Like, the main difference is you can see the cool shit you are pulling off.

Well, the difference is a larger field of vision with a third person view and more accurate controls over your character's positioning. Cover based shooters also heavily rely on third person view because from first person view you'd just end up staring at a wall. First person shooters, on the other hand, can make you feel more "there" and also more vulnerable because of the limited vision. While the two types of shooters don't necessarily play all that differently, they definitely feel different.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Well, the difference is a larger field of vision with a third person view and more accurate controls over your character's positioning. Cover based shooters also heavily rely on third person view because from first person view you'd just end up staring at a wall. First person shooters, on the other hand, can make you feel more "there" and also more vulnerable because of the limited vision. While the two types of shooters don't necessarily play all that differently, they definitely feel different.

That's true. I haven't really played a cover based third person shooter before. I've never had any interest in stuff like gears or whatever.

anyway, the point is that this game is making me interested in a genre I've never wanted to play or cared about before and this is cool.

Let's move on to the whole "this is cool" part.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I haven't really played a cover based third person shooter before. I've never had any interest in stuff like gears or whatever.
    Now I'm not generally one to go around telling people how much they've been missing out. But you have so been missing out.

dark%20sector%20ps3.jpg

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's the speed of movement in those trailers that interests me.
    Plus all the little touches, like when he bends over backwards to do his john woo style bullettime shooting, tiny rockets on his suit activate and keep him counterbalanced.
    And the fact that they decided to make melee attacks use suit power because they wanted to make them awesome and incredibly powerful.
    And the fact that he throws his grenades like a football player throwing a ball. That made me laugh, a lot.
    And the whole tossing the enemy mechs giant shell back down the barrel of the cannon.

All those little things and more too many to count.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Morninglord is in this thread?

Excellent. (Prototype and Bayonetta were vastly more enjoyable with his advice).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Prototype can be made enjoyable?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did I go into some kind of coma where I missed the general internet decision that it's cool to hate Prototype?

Because it's kind of a stupid decision.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not really.

I just didn't really like Prototype from what I've played and wondering if I'm missing something.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You are missing The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 2.

That is all I'm going to say on the matter.

PaperLuigi44 on