As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat] There must always be a bitching

• Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I don't know why you would ever focus on dps as a healer, ever. You shouldn't ever need to, and you're, you know, healing.

But really, I could never run instances seriously before 80. I mean, why would you want to put yourself through that?

Glyphed Holy Nova is fun times. I think its a riot when I beat all the DPS on trash with that. But that's at 80 once you have gear, of course.

Oh yeah. I mean it's one thing to add dps while you're healing, especially on trash. I just got the gist that he was wondering if he should be constantly watching his dps, which is silly. Especially when you're not 80.

I mean, I shock/consecrate on bosses all the time.

As a long time player, I don't think of preist = DeePS. I know to heal, i meant to toss in a few DoTs or smites in addition to my heavenly powers.

if your few dots and smites are pulling aggro you need a better tank. You shouldn't ever have to worry about threat as a healer these days.

mturalon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I complain plenty as Tank or Healer. I hate feeling like I'm carrying some lazy scrub that thinks he can hit a button every 10 seconds and think he's contributing. I rarely speak up as DPS, because most people won't listen to me complain about some DK doing 500 dps in the group, and they'd rather replace me (the guy doing 4k).

I don't complain much as a tank or healer, but I think I might start posting recount more often when I'm utterly smoking the rest of the group.

Hey, silly geese, how about you step up your game a little and try to top the bloody tank that's 2 levels below you?

I respect that tank DPS has shot up by an order of magnitude since TBC, but seriously, guys, I really shouldn't be utterly destroying dps that are level 79 when I'm level 77.

I aim for first place whenever I'm dps'ing, but based on gear or level disparity, that might not be realistic. I do, however, aim to at least be beating the bloody tank.

Edit: also, I usually don't dps much as a healer based on this deeply ingrained notion that "I might need that mana for something". At the risk or extending the run by a minute or two, I try to have reserve mana on hand just in case things go absolutely wrong and I need to start dumping huge heals into people to keep things going.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been finding it very easy to top the DPS charts on my 73 bear. Tanking on her is a little silly though I'm not sure how much I like it.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hell, I don't even find it that hard, at least on trash. 3 of the 4 DPS classes can rely on just AoE'ing to throw them high on the charts, and then, you know, actually pay attention for the bosses.

And the hybrids? Well, they wanted to be dps competitive as a rule of thumb, so they get no quarter from me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This makes me want to get recount again. Mostly I don't care, but now I'm curious. I'm pretty sure my dps is good, although I know I screw up my own rotation a decent amount. But it's DK, it's kinda hard to have shitty dps, especially while you're leveling and no one has crazy gear.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Hell, I don't even find it that hard, at least on trash. 3 of the 4 DPS classes can rely on just AoE'ing to throw them high on the charts, and then, you know, actually pay attention for the bosses.

And the hybrids? Well, they wanted to be dps competitive as a rule of thumb, so they get no quarter from me.

You mean like rogues who vanish + fan of knives spam on onyxian whelps?

Yeah...

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    End cinematic up on MMO-Champ.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wetsun wrote: »
    It's pretty much exactly what I expected, and just as disappointing as I expected. Ner'zhul is treated as if he doesn't matter at all, and the whole "scourge are even worse unguided" bullshit is confirmed.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Oh god, you're on my Battlegroup, assuming that's US anyway, which I assume so.

I was in a H VH with a friend who just came back to WoW after 8 months (muhahahaha), where we had a Hunter who seriously wasn't even trying. He was doing around 600dps for the first part of the instance, rising to around 800dps average by the end. He was frequently joining us in engaging the mobs when they were already below 50%. During one of the breaks I inspected him, almost all level 200-232 Epics, couple of 200 blues (including his staff). Not a single thing enchanted or gemmed. Still pathetic damage though, gems and enchants don't add that much considering the gear level we're talking.

Staff of Trickery dropped, which he won, but I was seriously contemplating kicking him before the last boss.

Are you horde?
    Do you remember this hunter's name?
    I've got a friend who picked up the Staff of Trickery on his hunter last night, wondering if that's him...

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    It's pretty much exactly what I expected, and just as disappointing as I expected. Ner'zhul is treated as if he doesn't matter at all, and the whole "scourge are even worse unguided" bullshit is confirmed.
    Having trouble loading the video on iPhone at work, who's the new lich king? Bolvar, right? Or Darion? Tirion?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Having trouble loading the video on iPhone at work, who's the new lich king? Bolvar, right? Or Darion? Tirion?
    Bolvar, all noble, telling Tirion to tell everyone the Lich King is dead so as not to strike fear in their hearts. So the Lich King will functionally be dead in active lore, except for when he's not due to convenience.

Septus on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bolvar, all noble, telling Tirion to tell everyone the Lich King is dead so as not to strike fear in their hearts. So the Lich King will functionally be dead in active lore, except for when he's not due to convenience.
    1. Ignoring Ner'zhul is such bull on Bliz's part. Argh.
    2. The fact that I'm supposed to believe that no one will question the fate of the Lich King as told by fewer thn 30 survivors is a load of crap.

Serious WTF.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    2. The fact that I'm supposed to believe that no one will question the fate of the Lich King as told by fewer thn 30 survivors is a load of crap.

Serious WTF.
    I thought that in one of the books, they explained that Ner'zhul basically doesn't exist anymore, and it's just Arthas. And since Blizz expects everyone to read their books, it's just another thing never explained in the actual game. At least, that's what I remember being told. I dun reed boox.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Serious WTF.
    I thought that in one of the books, they explained that Ner'zhul basically doesn't exist anymore, and it's just Arthas. And since Blizz expects everyone to read their books, it's just another thing never explained in the actual game. At least, that's what I remember being told. I dun reed boox.
    1. At the end of WC3, the two were supposed to have merged into one new being, none of this Arthas the tragic human bullshit.

2. Assuming that it is just Arthas now, why would the armor have any power? The armor and the throne were always a casing/prison for Ner'zhul.

Septus on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Serious WTF.
    1. At the end of WC3, the two were supposed to have merged into one new being, none of this Arthas the tragic human bullshit.

2. Assuming that it is just Arthas now, why would the armor have any power? The armor and the throne were always a casing/prison for Ner'zhul.
    I know the book supposedly justifies the ignoring of Ner'zhul, but point #2 by Septus says it all for me. How do you cast aside Ner'zhul's influence via the "merging" and then imply it still exists minus Arthas?

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Serious WTF.

I know the book supposedly justifies the ignoring of Ner'zhul, but point #2 by Septus says it all for me. How do you cast aside Ner'zhul's influence via the "merging" and then imply it still exists minus Arthas?
    Maybe the fading energy in Arthas's eyes was Ner'zhuls influence subsiding as The Lich King approached death?

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Serious WTF.

It is pretty stupid. We're basically told that we've been fighting for the past year and a half in Northrend against the Lich King only to find out that it's pointless and we need a Lich King to stop the scourge from killing everything. So why kill him and not just strike a deal? At least in Ulduar we stopped some Gods from destroying everything on the planet. They should have done Ulduar last and named the expansion WoW: The Gods are PISSED. But this is pretty anti-climactic.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dammit- why can't I load this on my iPhone? Can't play it on MMOChamp or WoW.com, nor can I find it through the YouTube app.

Tach on
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread should be renamed to [WoW][Chat] There must always be a

MEGAMERICAN on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    The retconned ending coming soon in Fall of the Lich King by Christie Holden.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Like, this expansion was doing so good with lore and just did nothing with it.

What a serious fucking WASTE of an opportunity to redeem the Warcraft story. It wasn't fucking much to begin with, so it's not THAT goddamn hard.

There will always be lorelol.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Angry Burning Lich King Man is scary as hell.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SPOILER
    There was a blue post saying something to the effect that Ner'zhul's character is not done yet. I kind of think he'll come back as a Medivh.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The very nature of over expectation means that some will be disappointed. I think that it was pretty neatly done and left some plot elements to be returned to in the WoW sequel or even Warcraft 4 if they have any plans for such a game.

It was a relatively tidy end and left possibilities, good stuff.

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    seriously, it's like hearing people gripe about star wars all over again
    just accept that there will be plot holes and that blizzard is simply trying to make the story appreciated by all; you guys are forgetting that the majority of WoW players don't really know about the lore prior to WoW. a name like 'ner'zhul' means nothing to them. however, they did the wrathgate - they saw bolvar fordragon. he's been an NPC in the game since inception. they hear him in icecrown citadel when they enter.

lore has always been sketchy at best and prone to retcons when blizzard feels it's convenient. if you aren't used to it by now then all i can say is you're pretty gullible

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just accept that there will be plot holes and that blizzard is simply trying to make the story appreciated by all; you guys are forgetting that the majority of WoW players don't really know about the lore prior to WoW. a name like 'ner'zhul' means nothing to them. however, they did the wrathgate - they saw bolvar fordragon. he's been an NPC in the game since inception. they hear him in icecrown citadel when they enter.

lore has always been sketchy at best and prone to retcons when blizzard feels it's convenient. if you aren't used to it by now then all i can say is you're pretty gullible

I would appreciate this a lot more if they didn't charge us $30 to read books on the characters.

• Options
    edited February 2010

Quoted for truth:)
    I would appreciate this a lot more if they didn't charge us $30 to read books on the characters.

Well it's not like everyone has or Blizzard made you read the books, now is it? We got a reasonable treatment especially compared to other series who's canon and retcons are more messed up than Azeroth's.

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

But IF you are someone who cares about the lore, you are very likely to know who he is. If you don't care, just watch the pretty cinematic that handles the lore in a better fashion.

I'm aware of the previous situations where lore has been meddled with. I consider this to be a much bigger mistake on their part.

Septus on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Really sums it up. I like how they're ending it, atleast they did something with the wrathgate aftermath. But what are they going to do now, catacylsm won't be out for another 9 months surely.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what i'm saying is that the people who get butthurt about the lore are probably not very important to blizzard's bottom line

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what i'm saying is that the people who get butthurt about the lore are probably not very important to blizzard's bottom line

I have no illusions nor have stated any that my displeasure matters to them. They could suddenly have every race available to both factions because a wizard did it, and the game would still charge on like the juggernaut it is.

But this is a Chat thread, after all.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well it's not like everyone has or Blizzard made you read the books, now is it? We got a reasonable treatment especially compared to other series who's canon and retcons are more messed up than Azeroth's.

When they put information crucial to understanding characters ("Where'd Varian Wrynn come from? Who is Lo'gosh? Why is Onyxia dead in canon now? Who are Broll and Valeera? Why is Varian such a dick?" or "Who is Invincible and why is he a mount? Why did Arthas do this?" etc etc) into external sources then they must be important to some degree, and if the lore is important enough to require comics and books we can criticize it on the internet.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I know, right. They should go to all of the effort to hire writers and artists to create backstory and make it suck. Genius!

That said, its par for the course. Warcraft "lore" has been pretty damn terrible since Warcraft 3.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    just because you're getting upset they pushed a pretty non-involved NPC under the rug doesn't mean it sucks

but that's okay, it's hip to hate on cool new things

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I know, right. They should go to all of the effort to hire writers and artists to create backstory and make it suck. Genius!

That said, its par for the course. Warcraft "lore" has been pretty damn terrible since Warcraft 3.

What, 1 and 2 had great lore? Half of the lore in each one got retconned, same as 3 :P

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    just because you're getting upset they pushed a pretty non-involved NPC under the rug doesn't mean it sucks

but that's okay, it's hip to hate on cool new things

No one is getting upset, I'm just mildly irked.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »

What, 1 and 2 had great lore? Half of the lore in each one got retconned, same as 3 :P

No, they had average video game story material. Nothing special, but good enough for a strategy game. Nothing that made you /facepalm.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »

No, they had average video game story material. Nothing special, but good enough for a strategy game. Nothing that made you /facepalm.

So what was so horrible in WC3 compared to 1 and 2?

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WC3's lore was fine in my opinion. It was an RTS, I didn't expect to get super involved in the plot because once I was done beating it, I was only going to play custom maps anyways.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You make it sound like that's the only possible thing they could have done with Bolvar.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.