Options

[Pre-PAX Bar Crawl] Pokecrawl Episode 1: The Adventure Begins!

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So who will be my first victim from team Yellow?

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So when we do challenges do we each by own drink?

I am thinking each drink is gonna be about $5-6 w/ $1 tip. Saying $7 x 8 = $56. Sounds about right?

Rdr on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pokecrawl guides have been sent to all PokeProfs/PokeAssts.

Rdr: Possibly a bit more considering some are doubleshots. I usually drop around $100 or so but I also drink more than the challenges.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's do this people! Go team Bulbasaur! WOOOOOOT!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not complaining about how physically short the crawl is, just commenting on the stark difference from last year.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am going for Team Charmander now. I didnt think I was going to go but now I have been asked to and I will attempt to escape!

H2O Shoagie on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Change my entry to a +1. I enlisted some local support.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rdr: Possibly a bit more considering some are doubleshots. I usually drop around $100 or so but I also drink more than the challenges.

Ya I definitely don't have as much cash as I thought I was going to have. Damn unexpected bills. But there's always next year to get that elusive mew challenge button!

Rdr on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should we bring a visual aid for people who might not get the costume right away?

Goose! on
  • Options
    AurorBKAurorBK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would this count as a costume for the 8th badge on its own (or maybe with a small accessory or two?). If so, i'd be totally down.

*edit* Also, I'm pretty sure Lir closes at 1am, so it might be hard for whichever group has it to finish their last challenges before then...especially since last call will probably be as soon as that team arrives at the bar (12:40)...
    rentfn wrote: »
    Hey Team Squirtle!!!

I'm making Team Blue shirts for me and a couple friends. A friend came up with a good image of Squirtle holding a beer. On the back I was going to put the Pokecrawl logo and the Blue teams schedule, so in the case of intoxication we can ask someone the direction we should head in :P I was thinking about making a few extras and charging $5 to anyone that would like them. That $5 will go to Blue Teams donation towards Child's Play. If anyone would be interested in a shirt please PM me and I will go ahead and make some extras. Below is the Squirtle Image. (the Sam logo looks better in the full image.
    teambluesmall.png

AurorBK on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, the schedule is a bit weird. Challenge 1 has 40 minutes, the rest have an hour. If you drop it down to 40 minutes each you get:

9:00PM
    9:40PM
    10:20
    11:00
    11:40
    Be done by 12:30 ish.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Except >50 people + 1 bar/40 minutes = impossible

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I dunno then. Why is the first one 40 minutes?

Maybe try 50 minutes, 1 minute per person? Something.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pokecrawl guides have been sent to all PokeProfs/PokeAssts.

Yeah I too am short on cash and will not have enough to get through all the Challenges... I'll probably just do the first 3 or so.

ikelewis on
  • Options
    KratzALotKratzALot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am so ready for this night! Any team yellow going to be at the prePAX dinner? Then we could head out to our first bar from there

Also, I don't need to write down all the bars and challenges do I? I'm assuming once we get to first bar the Prof/Assit will have all that.

KratzALot on
    The Great Whale War of Civ 5

Never Forget!
  • Options
    burnsbothendsburnsbothends Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey Team Squirtle!!!

I'm making Team Blue shirts for me and a couple friends. A friend came up with a good image of Squirtle holding a beer. On the back I was going to put the Pokecrawl logo and the Blue teams schedule, so in the case of intoxication we can ask someone the direction we should head in :P I was thinking about making a few extras and charging $5 to anyone that would like them. That $5 will go to Blue Teams donation towards Child's Play. If anyone would be interested in a shirt please PM me and I will go ahead and make some extras. Below is the Squirtle Image. (the Sam logo looks better in the full image.
    teambluesmall.png
    Let us know if we get word if this counts as a costume or not. If it does, I'll PM you, I'm game.

burnsbothends on
    PAX=Home
  • Options
    philbertdephilbertde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just to make sure people budget as effectively as possible, the following are realisticly high prices you might see for drinks at some of the bars we're going to (Some will be less than this):

Beer: 6-8 bucks
    Rail Liquor Mixed Drink/Shot: 6-9 bucks
    Low-End Premium Liquor (Cheap Patron, Maker's Mark, Etc.): 10-14 bucks
    That shot of Remy you desperately need: $150 or so

I think Atlus' proposed $100 budget is probably about accurate if you intend to make it through all the challenges and be out at bars for 4 1/2 - 5 hours straight and aren't super picky about what you drink. If you're particularly averse to Cuervo, Smirnoff and whatever the hell "McCormick's American Whiskey" is than it could ring up a bit higher.

P.S. Point of Order: Do "Shots" have to be taken as shots? Or am I allowed to sip delicious things?

philbertde on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey Team Squirtle!!!

teambluesmall.png
    Let us know if we get word if this counts as a costume or not. If it does, I'll PM you, I'm game.

This is up to the professor/prof assist to decide whats a costume and whats not. Being the money brought in from the shirt is going to the donation I encourage everyone to consider this regardless if it counts as a costume. With that said I have not ruled out counting it as a costume as it was my original idea myself. So good chance i will count it but no decision will be made till night of. :winky:

Singollo on
  • Options
    realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So are the bars excited or terrified that you want to bring 250 people to their bar on a Thursday night?

realisticradical on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I'm willing to bet half of them didn't believe him and the other half think they'll be prepared, but really won't.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So are the bars excited or terrified that you want to bring 250 people to their bar on a Thursday night?

I picked bars that do high volume every weekend anyway :)

Considering we'll be in groups of ~60 or so, it should be fairly smooth, but I expect that by later in the evening there will be unfortunate waits at some of the bars. I do have a overflow bar in my back pocket, it's a large venue that's never very full and still close to Hynes.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »

Considering we'll be in groups of ~60 or so, it should be fairly smooth, but I expect that by later in the evening there will be unfortunate waits at some of the bars. I do have a overflow bar in my back pocket, it's a large venue that's never very full and still close to Hynes.

Your thinking Uno's aren't you! :winky:

Certain.shade.of.green on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

haha ... nah .. Champions :)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    So when we do challenges do we each by own drink?

I am thinking each drink is gonna be about $5-6 w/ $1 tip. Saying $7 x 8 = $56. Sounds about right?

mixed drinks/shots are going to be in the 6-10 range
    beers will be in the 3.5-5.5 range

One reason I picked Daisys is due to them normally having drink specials :)

I budgeted $100 or so :)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I'm not complaining about how physically short the crawl is, just commenting on the stark difference from last year.

Yea ... the problem is that the next batch of bars are a bit of a distance from Boylston and I didn't really think it would be wise to try and navigate large crowds of people through boston, be it via subway or walking.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010

well...that actually makes sense, as a Boston area native I have to say that is a decent backup.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Champions is a fairly brilliant backup; I don't think I've ever seen it more than half full.

philbertde on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

well...that actually makes sense, as a Boston area native I have to say that is a decent backup.

heh

as a boston native who's planned over a half dozen bar crawls in the area, I have to say thanks :)

I'm a little worried about our timetable to be perfectly honest. It's a lot of people to try and get through the doors on a Thursday night. Maybe I can convince Atlus to start things off a bit earlier and allocate more time for the later bars.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    philbertde wrote: »
    Champions is a fairly brilliant backup; I don't think I've ever seen it more than half full.

yea, it's absolutely gigantic. I've seen the bar area full before (mostly on game nights/fri-sat), but they have so much seating there too ...

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    The biggest issue I see is McGreevy's on a Thursday. College students like to stop by and see "That bar the Dropkick Murphys guy owns" oh and to pretend they are all old school southie residents. Right around 11 that joint is going to be packed.

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The biggest issue I see is McGreevy's on a Thursday. College students like to stop by and see "That bar the Dropkick Murphys guy owns" oh and to pretend they are all old school southie residents. Right around 11 that joint is going to be packed.

See I was most concerned about Daisy's because it is a pretty small bar and fills quickly.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

See I was most concerned about Daisy's because it is a pretty small bar and fills quickly.

I've always noticed that Daisy's has a decent turnover rate though so people flow in and out all night. Hopefully this holds true Thursday. I think we might see a lot of "regulars" jumping ship when the massive amount of people keep showing up one after the other as well.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    It's important not to underestimate the effect of 60 people in Blastoise costumes can have on the squares that normally frequent the bars we're headed to.

philbertde on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    philbertde wrote: »
    It's important not to underestimate the effect of 60 people in Blastoise costumes can have on the squares that normally frequent the bars we're headed to.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    greggturekgreggturek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I choose you Pikachu. !pikachu!

Gregg Turek

My girlfriend, Lindsay Schneider, chooses Pikachu too. !pikachu!

I see that only standby spots are left, but we would love to take part.

Gregg Turek
    greggturek@gmail.com

greggturek on
  • Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Team Blue - This is roughly what the back of the shirt will look like. I'm still debating the font, been trying a lot of different things. The bar names and challenges will be on there. I might take off the times because they might change.
    pokecrawl.png

rentfn on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Team Blue - This is roughly what the back of the shirt will look like. I'm still debating the font, been trying a lot of different things. The bar names and challenges will be on there. I might take off the times because they might change.
    pokecrawl.png

Maybe go for an easier to read font for the schedule. Keep in mind you're wanting drunk people to be able to read this ;)

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    sykomonkeysykomonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    !pikachu! SWEETUMS CHOOSE YOU!

Standby works for me!

sykomonkey on
  • Options
    gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010