Options

Want Some Soy With Your Veg and Two Veg?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Who here is a vegetarian/vegan, and why did you choose that kind of lifestyle?

vegetarian for 5+ years because someone bet me I couldn't eat meat for 8 years
    I have more and better reasons than that but I find most meat-eaters who really ask 'why don't you eat meat?' are just looking to get in an argument over nothing. So I tell them the dare thing so we can quickly get to the part where they feel superior to me and leave me alone. But not all meat eaters are dicks, just some. Just like vegetarians

It's funny, because I've not met one meat eater that has given me a great deal of grief for being a vegetarian. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

You are lucky. It is one thing to be teased or lightly made fun of but it is another thing to be sat down and told in great detail how wrong it is to not eat meat. I had it bad for a while but it has gotten much better.

You're just bitter that the cougar in Baltimore was giving you shit.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I eat meat because it is delicious and I don't need another reason

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If I had to eat meat from the grocery market, I would totally be a vegetarian. Long before Food Inc. came out, I was grossed out by how meat is raised and processed. Plus its cruel to treat animals the way they do in factory farms.

As it is though, My parents raise sheep, pigs, rabbits and chickens(for eggs and meat) and my in-laws raise sheep, chickens and pigs and cows (for meat and milk). My wife and I are getting a couple of spring lambs this year to raise on some leased land and are probably going to get a dozen chickens or so for the eggs.

The animals are raised on lush green Vermont pastures and really have an awesome life (until butchering day). The meat is soo delicious. I just can't eat store-bought meat anymore, it's bland, tough and disgusting.

We still eat vegetarian meals two or three times a week. Even though we have access to all this incredible meat, I still don't get the "slab of meat at every meal" mindset.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

bitter? more like :winky:
    didn't we get her to do shots with us? Or did I make that up?

iamthepieman I would consider eating meat again from your family farm it sounds pretty nice.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited February 2010

iamthepieman I would consider eating meat again from your family farm it sounds pretty nice.

She offered to, but I don't think that she ever did.

If you'd eat meat from family farms and things like that then I'll take you to the Farmer's Market on Saturday if you'd like. Amish raised beef and pork. No large scale operations.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Smalle scale farming is actually becoming really popular in this state. My wife and I are going to the NOFA conference in two weeks to learn more about it.

You live anywhere near Vermont Vermi? We're gearing up to start selling lamb and pork. The first chop's free. But the next one'll cost ya.8-)

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sorry i live in md but i do like your drug dealer methodology.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was a very content vegetarian for a while. I quit when I wanted to lose weight because there was just no way to do both. So, for better or for worse, vanity has trumped ethics for me. I might go back to veggiehood one day. Right now I'm pretty carnivorous, and yes I realize the planet couldn't support billions of people who eat like me -- such is life.

My God, my mom was tolerant. She cooked veggie things for me. She's a foodie, so making restrictive choices about eating is pretty alien to her, but she adapted. I was in awe.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sorry i live in md but i do like your drug dealer methodology.

We just moved from Maryland this past Summer. Land was too expensive down there to seriously consider farming on it.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    pretty much the only reason I care about locally-grown meat is that it tastes better

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One of the reasons I love living where I do is the access to really fresh produce, dairy and meat.

Now, the dairy is from a farm just down the road and while it is a bit more expensive, it's outstanding. The produce...well, that's just good and cheap.

The meat is actually usually rather pricey compared to supermarket cuts but the quality is far and away superior. If I need the good stuff it's off to the market.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We get our meat from a farmer who has, maybe 6 cows at any given time. He names them and feeds them grass for their lives, then vegetables to fatten them up at the end. We buy 1/2 a cow a year, the quality of the meat is outstanding, the ground beef comes from a single cow, not a few hundred, and this year his name was Jerry.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i buy my meats from the farmer's market

yumhooo

at home we are pretty close to vegetarian though because we are indian and most of the food from our part of india is veggie and my parents don't eat lots of meat, but they do eat meat, but most of our indian family friends don't

i love meat personally

i try to buy as much of it as i can from the farmer's market though, grass fed, local, etc etc

fuck industrial farming practices

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    speaking of veggie food i could sure go for 1912321-Masala-Dosai-1.jpg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was vegan for about a year and a half back when I was an angsty teenager. every once in a while I consider going back. still might.

my thinking wasn't that eating animals was right or wrong just that it wasn't necessary so I chose not to do it. It was a personal choice not so much a belief system or anything.

Hooves on
  • Options
    SyrochSyroch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    related: I had forgotten how I look without facial hair

well hello there sailor

are you old enough to make the sex?

I felt the same way after I shaved this weekend. I started getting carded again too :(

once, I was told that being vegetarian was just another form of intolerance.

now, I eat meat every chance I get, if only in the name of tolerance. and because it's tasty.

Syroch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i love urban argiculture I get nerdy reading about it. In fact I recently just purchased this season's edition of urban farm.

all of you with flourishing farmer's markets are making me jealous. There is one near me, but it is lacking compared to what I had in portland or ann arbor, and lacking compared to what you guys talk about.

t pieman: you gotta move back and compete with the chicken farmers on the eastern shore they are the worst

t shaz: I love indian vegetarian meals. or I guess I love bastardized american indian meals. I always try and make indian dishes but I always screw it up.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gujrati_food_thali_20100111.jpg

my parents are actually in india right now for 2 weeks
    i called them they are like we are eating quite well

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Who here is a [vegetarian]/vegan, and why did you choose that kind of lifestyle?

Started for Buddhism, stayed for the food and the health (and Buddhism). I used to be a "meat is tasty" person too, but I enjoy eating much more now.

I remember even the first day being very awkward, having to order vegetarian around others. I would encourage anyone who's considering it to try it at least for that one day though. 2.5 years later, I haven't looked back.

Strato on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Strato wrote: »
    Who here is a [vegetarian]/vegan, and why did you choose that kind of lifestyle?

Started for Buddhism, stayed for the food and the health (and Buddhism). I used to be a "meat is tasty" person too, but I enjoy eating much more now.

I remember even the first day being very awkward, having to order vegetarian around others. I would encourage anyone who's considering it to try it at least for that one day though. 2.5 years later, I haven't looked back.

Meat is healthy for you.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Funny this thread popped up today. I had a long discussion with my brother about feeding vegetarians a few hours ago. He's just picked up cooking in the last couple of years, and I think he's still in a place where the concept of a main course without meat is confusing.

I myself haven't been a vegetarian in ages, but I'd still say I like vegetables and grains and dairy and fruit more than meat. If I had to give up something it'd be meat - it wouldn't be too hard since I gave up seafood six, going on seven years ago, and that was my favourite anyway. (Pork and beef make my stomach sort of displeased, too. Even though they can both be delicious.) However, I will say that eggs and chicken in Korea are somehow a million times more delicious than they were in the States. I am pretty sure that the chickens the shamanistic temple where I worked out in summer raised are the same ones that I ate later in the week, and the color of the egg yolks is this beautiful orange...

Vermiculture, the Ann Arbor market was great! I wrote about the Kalamazoo farmer's market a few weeks ago out of corn and apple related nostalgia, and this afternoon I was looking at the Zingerman's deli website and positively pining.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gujrati_food_thali_20100111.jpg

my parents are actually in india right now for 2 weeks
    i called them they are like we are eating quite well

wanna eat that picture. I also love ethiopian restaurants. I can't get enough of that sponge bread

vermiculture on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been mostly a vegetarian for about a year now, and I am feeling pretty good about it. I still occasionally eat meat, particularily when I am visiting my parents.

Recently I have been getting a bit worried about my diet though. While it is probably not particularily awful many if not most of my dishes are based on noodles, pasta, rice or quinoa. I'm considering finding a vegetarian Dietitian and scheduling a meeting to help me get some perspective on my eating habits. I'm a pretty decent cook so I expect that if I buy a fridge full of healthy food I will manage to figure out a way of making it taste good.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i love urban argiculture I get nerdy reading about it. In fact I recently just purchased this season's edition of urban farm.

all of you with flourishing farmer's markets are making me jealous. There is one near me, but it is lacking compared to what I had in portland or ann arbor, and lacking compared to what you guys talk about.

t pieman: you gotta move back and compete with the chicken farmers on the eastern shore they are the worst

t shaz: I love indian vegetarian meals. or I guess I love bastardized american indian meals. I always try and make indian dishes but I always screw it up.

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest is great for incredible vegetarian meals. She uses a lot of spices and the few Indian dishes in it are superb. If you're vegetarian, or just like to cook, you should really have this cookbook.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why'd you give up sea food?

FAQ on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yo guys what's up with gluten free food

has this stuff always been around cause I swear to god I just started seeing it a year ago

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    it's been around a long time, I don't know if gluten free sections are more prominant now than before

FAQ on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FAQ, if you are asking me, I gave up seafood because of the threat of collapse in many ocean ecosystems due to current fishing practices. And because there are very few fish which can truly be farmed sustainably at the present time. And it's easier to just say "I don't eat seafood," than to say "I only eat three kinds of unthreatened/sustainably farmed bottom-of-the-food-chain marine life, and one of them is jellyfish which is awful."

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that is a pretty good reason to not eat seafood

what if you grew your own salmon in a bathtub?

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But I don't have a bathtub!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry

it was ignorant of me to assume that because South Korea is the better Korea that it would have running water

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    how about a barrel?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I eat meat and also vegetables

fruit, too

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what about dairy smart hero

FAQ on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't like many vegetables because they have fucked up names

butternut squash? that's three fucking things, man, which is it

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh man pieman what are you doing to me. let's talk about how awesome vermiculture (not me, but the practice) is.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    I don't like many vegetables because they have fucked up names

butternut squash? that's three fucking things, man, which is it

in the supermarket I worked at many moons ago it was about 100 things, anything that didn't scan properly was put through as butternut squash

the end

FAQ on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did you know that if you don't feed your infants enough protein, they will be stupider?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh man pieman what are you doing to me. let's talk about how awesome vermiculture (not me, but the practice) is.

you can both be awesome.

But yes, vermiculture is awesome much the same way that grass-farming is. You get down to the fundamentals of life-support and the very elementals of the food-chain.

Grass grows from energy input via the sun and mineral input via the soil. The soil is fed by worm castings. when you think about it, mankind exists because of the top 6-12 inches of the earth and it's ability to nourish larger organisms.

It's too huge a subject to get into here but it just blows my thinking about emergent systems so necessary and fundamental to anything we humans do.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Did you know that if you don't feed your infants enough protein, they will be stupider?

the girlfriend was telling me about a couple in Seattle being brought up on charges because their infant was woefully underweight, taken from their custody, the child was cared for and fed properly. When the parents had a visit they said the state had made their child 'obese' and during a visitation fed the kid laxatives in it's formula.

Fuck. Those. Parents.

t faq: yes dairy too.

Abracadaniel on