Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - RELEASING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

• Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want to watch 24 now because I don't understand any of these Jack Bauer references. I haven't seen an episode of that show, ever, in my whole life. Not even a glimpse, which is odd, because I own the first couple seasons :lol:

Sakeido on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was really disappointed by the story in this game. It was almost all about collecting your team, which was pretty fucking pointless for me since I hated every single one of them. The only interesting character I got was at the end, and you only get him for a few hours.

Seriously though, why are there so many characters.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't understand how it is physically possible to not like Mordin.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I was really disappointed by the story in this game. It was almost all about collecting your team, which was pretty fucking pointless for me since I hated almost every single one of them. The only interesting character I got was at the end, and you only get him for a few hours.

This is an intriguing perspective.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sakeido wrote: »
    Blurbl wrote: »
    You know what would be great DLC? A second set of loyalty missons, one every so often. Gotta love character development.

And my friend pointed out that very little information is given out about Shepard. In ME1 you had background missons, but unless I missed them there wern't any in Me2. I know it's 'your' Shepard but that doesn't mean I don't want him to have a backstory and plot hooks from before ME1.

I'd be down for more loyalty missions. I would have been happier with ME2 if there was no collector story at all, and it was just 100% about your team

I really hope you get to keep your team in the next game, I like my people. Also romance plot spoilers.

I really like Miranda as a love interest, I know it puts me in the minority compared to Tali, but I like her as a character and even in the opening they take care to show that her interest in you was more then just scientific, like when you almost die she takes the time to look into your eyes as you slowly go back under, thats more then just a "Got to make sure this dude lives." Attitude.
    The fact that you were a corpse for most of that period makes that a wee bit creepy.

Nah I don't think its creepy. Opening spoilers/romance spoilers/End game spoilers.

I mean their entire project was hinged on your resurrection. If anything Miranda just fell for the nursing a person back to health weakness. She's your lovely nurse who saw you at your worst, most vulnerable. I think what attracts me to Miranda in the game (and its good writing) is that you both are wards of Cerberous her because she's hiding from her father was recruited by cerberous and only seen as a tool, you because they brought you back to life to serve a purpose. That you can find each other, work past her issue of seeing herself only in the spartan sense of duty, and then have her turn her back on the illusive man is a nice plot development, that blows away the Ashley, liara romance options.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I was really disappointed by the story in this game. It was almost all about collecting your team, which was pretty fucking pointless for me since I hated almost every single one of them. The only interesting character I got was at the end, and you only get him for a few hours.

If I could just take a handful of legion, I would be ok with that.

Fuck the rest of the crew and their stupid fucking problems.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    -Tal wrote: »

Yeah I don't know man, I mean I'm not the biggest fan of Jack or Grunt, but that's personal for me, I can see why people would like them both, and its only that the rest of your group is so nicely done that makes them seem weaker in my mind. Besides how can anyone hate (spoiler for arkangel).

When you tell Garrus he looks no worse than his usual ugly self and he jokes back that he was getting all the ladies in the first game, I mean come on!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, the Geth:
    After a few conversations with Legion it seems clear that the Geth are not pissed about the war the Quarians started, they just don't get it so they shake their collective heads and go about their business. They seem very interested in learning about organics and emulate them in some ways. For example Legion mentions that the Geth consider themselves Caretakers of the Quarian homeworld, cleaning up toxins and presumably allowing nature to flourish as they don't live on it themselves, they confine themselves to stations and mine asteroids for materials, its more efficient. But they don't understand organics fascination with "home", a planet is just a bunch of gasses, liquids and metals after all.

Legion is pretty awesome altogether because he's beginning to exhibit feelings in a way he can't explain, take the N7 breastplate, he chose Shepards for reasons he can't explain. I really hope there will be a peaceful resolution to the whole conflict in ME3 where the Quarians realise they fucked up, but if it comes to it I'll support the Geth over the Quarians, fuck 'em.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want to watch 24 now because I don't understand any of these Jack Bauer references. I haven't seen an episode of that show, ever, in my whole life. Not even a glimpse, which is odd, because I own the first couple seasons :lol:

There is a sliding scale to quality with 24. The first season or two is good. The moment I knew the show had crossed the line into ridiculous for the sake of ridiculous was...(some 24 spoilers, not super huge)
    this one scene in a season where they're interrogating Jack Bauer and they end up accidentally killing him, so his interrogators yell at this doctor to bring him back. The doctor injects him with some stuff and he's like "I can't! He's dead." And the interrogators are like "Oh shit we killed him what now?" and while their backs are turned, Bauer comes back to life, gets up off the table and stabs the guys with the injection needle and escapes.
    I forget what season that was and it's been a while so some details might be off. Needless to say, it was one of the most ridiculous things to EVER HAPPEN.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Why did you play this game? Did you play the first one? Did you know anything about this coming in?

I'm so confused right now.

Bobble on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know what would be great DLC? A second set of loyalty missons, one every so often. Gotta love character development.

And my friend pointed out that very little information is given out about Shepard. In ME1 you had background missons, but unless I missed them there wern't any in Me2. I know it's 'your' Shepard but that doesn't mean I don't want him to have a backstory and plot hooks from before ME1.

I'd be down for more loyalty missions. I would have been happier with ME2 if there was no collector story at all, and it was just 100% about your team

I really hope you get to keep your team in the next game, I like my people. Also romance plot spoilers.

I really like Miranda as a love interest, I know it puts me in the minority compared to Tali, but I like her as a character and even in the opening they take care to show that her interest in you was more then just scientific, like when you almost die she takes the time to look into your eyes as you slowly go back under, thats more then just a "Got to make sure this dude lives." Attitude.
    The fact that you were a corpse for most of that period makes that a wee bit creepy.

Nah I don't think its creepy. Opening spoilers/romance spoilers/End game spoilers.

I mean their entire project was hinged on your resurrection. If anything Miranda just fell for the nursing a person back to health weakness. She's your lovely nurse who saw you at your worst, most vulnerable. I think what attracts me to Miranda in the game (and its good writing) is that you both are wards of Cerberous her because she's hiding from her father was recruited by cerberous and only seen as a tool, you because they brought you back to life to serve a purpose. That you can find each other, work past her issue of seeing herself only in the spartan sense of duty, and then have her turn her back on the illusive man is a nice plot development, that blows away the Ashley, liara romance options.

Agreed. I really liked Miranda and was very conflicted choosing between Tali and Miranda.

But the Paragon interrupt (you know the one I mean) and the way she struggles to tell you how she feels made Tali win out for me in the end.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone read the Cerberus News?
    A new sentient race called the raloi was discovered

Tairu on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

and after 5 playthroughs I'm noticing the "spot holder" problem we had in me1, i.e. squad members taking 2 sides of an issue regardless of their personality. it's weird listening to jack making nice D:

I agree with your statement though, both me games thus far can be boiled down to a very limited number of main plot points which isn't to everyone's taste. I'd also add that the rpg and action elements are fairly pedestrian but you can't deny that, as a whole, the game isn't bad.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

There is a sliding scale to quality with 24. The first season or two is good. The moment I knew the show had crossed the line into ridiculous for the sake of ridiculous was...(some 24 spoilers, not super huge)
    this one scene in a season where they're interrogating Jack Bauer and they end up accidentally killing him, so his interrogators yell at this doctor to bring him back. The doctor injects him with some stuff and he's like "I can't! He's dead." And the interrogators are like "Oh shit we killed him what now?" and while their backs are turned, Bauer comes back to life, gets up off the table and stabs the guys with the injection needle and escapes.
    I forget what season that was and it's been a while so some details might be off. Needless to say, it was one of the most ridiculous things to EVER HAPPEN.

Season 2 actually. To end this little side progression. Seasons 1-5 are pretty decent with some annoying parts (when kim bauer shows up take a piss break, its for the best). 5 is the best one since 1, but ends poorly which set up a disasterous season 6, 7 was a return to form somewhat, and 8 is doing ok but once again there is a piss break character.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh yeah bioware you can make a new race

can't put in some female turians though

I guess humans aren't the rookies anymore, which is fine since we took over the damn galaxy in less than 30 years.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

There was a PA comic about an ideal world where all the humans are dead, and only bots were preferred....

Ah yes.

215498278_95BZe-L-2.jpg

Perhaps a tangential relationship.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do like how some of the renegade triggers seem to not actually give you renegade points, I wish I would have known about that before hand, I could have been doing some awesome stuff all over!

You realize that Paragon and Renegade points are cumulative, not a sliding scale.

Collecting both doesn't really change that much about you. For example, you can be 50% Paragon, and pull a Renegade trigger. You know what happens? You're now 50% Paragon and slightly more Renegade.

This isn't KotoR. You don't slide towards good then slide back towards evil.

Too many people are ruining things for themselves by not being a little more lenient in their choices. I made it up to 100% Paragon well before the end of the game, and pulled almost every Renegade trigger, because of sheer awesome.

Sure, I was Paragon, but after shooting up a tower full of mercs:
    You sure as shit better believe I ain't got time to listen to one of them mouth off to me. I asked a question, you give me an answer, everyone lives. You don't like that, think about it as my boot shows you the express elevator to hell.

That's fun. I called 'em like I saw them, and never missed a single opportunity.

And it was glorious.

"There goes Iron Shepard. He's such a nice guy. A real Paragon of humanity. Until you mouth off to him, then he'll twist your head around backwards and shoot you in the gut."

Now that's a reputation I can live with.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh yeah bioware you can make a new race

can't put in some female turians though

Garrus is a female turian. You just can't tell.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yeah I don't know man, I mean I'm not the biggest fan of Jack or Grunt, but that's personal for me, I can see why people would like them both, and its only that the rest of your group is so nicely done that makes them seem weaker in my mind. Besides how can anyone hate (spoiler for arkangel).

When you tell Garrus he looks no worse than his usual ugly self and he jokes back that he was getting all the ladies in the first game, I mean come on!

I think that the way Mordin talks is kind of grating. I understand what they're going for, but i would have preferred a more Sherlock Holmes way of going about it. Like, he would just answer stuff that you hadn't asked, or identify things that you hadn't told him about, and then go through the steps like he always does. As it is, he sounds like he doesn't understand how communication works, and it makes him seem less intelligent. And given that he does understand how you can talk without using sentence fragments,
    like when he gives a perfect rendition of Gilbert and Sullivan
    , it just seems strange.

That said, I really like him, I just think they missed the mark on his speech patterns.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bobble wrote: »

Why did you play this game? Did you play the first one? Did you know anything about this coming in?

I'm so confused right now.

I did play the first one and wanted to follow the story through. ME2 was all about the crew, which I didn't know because I didn't read up on any media. The main quest was just so straight forward.

It was collect crew, finish game. There were only a couple quests that didn't involve finding people that you were never going to use anyways.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »

and after 5 playthroughs I'm noticing the "spot holder" problem we had in me1, i.e. squad members taking 2 sides of an issue regardless of their personality. it's weird listening to jack making nice D:

I agree with your statement though, both me games thus far can be boiled down to a very limited number of main plot points which isn't to everyone's taste. I'd also add that the rpg and action elements are fairly pedestrian but you can't deny that, as a whole, the game isn't bad.

context... mild understatement (Dunno if orange has a meaning on the forums, just making sure I highlighted that part.)

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

Agreed. I really liked Miranda and was very conflicted choosing between Tali and Miranda.

But the Paragon interrupt (you know the one I mean) and the way she struggles to tell you how she feels made Tali win out for me in the end.

I guess for me and I need to talk with Tali some more probably but I hope spoiler for Talis recruitment mission.

I hope tali can eventually romance and get involved with the quarian marine who you can save or let die, aside from being voiced by Adam Baldwin, I can't be the only one who picked up on more than a duty obligation to Tali in his desire to protect her.

I can potentially kill Tali with my love, but with Kregor (it sounded like that been a little since I played it) she can be with someone who can advance her species and be accepted without my love killing her.

I think I read way too much into these characters.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wow what a well thought out opinion and statement... the trolls are strong with this one. Sounds like you hate the game and Bioware games in general, since most of them are about "Dealing with fucking problems".

Sirson on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Season 2 actually. To end this little side progression. Seasons 1-5 are pretty decent with some annoying parts (when kim bauer shows up take a piss break, its for the best). 5 is the best one since 1, but ends poorly which set up a disasterous season 6, 7 was a return to form somewhat, and 8 is doing ok but once again there is a piss break character.

I remember watching a Derrick Comedy parody of 24, dealing with how Bauer's daughter is always getting captured. I thought it was an exaggeration, until I actually started watching the series.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I guess for me and I need to talk with Tali some more probably but I hope spoiler for Talis recruitment mission.

I hope tali can eventually romance and get involved with the quarian marine who you can save or let die, aside from being voiced by Adam Baldwin, I can't be the only one who picked up on more than a duty obligation to Tali in his desire to protect her.

I can potentially kill Tali with my love, but with Kregor (it sounded like that been a little since I played it) she can be with someone who can advance her species and be accepted without my love killing her.

wait, was it really Adam Baldwin or are you saying it just sounds like him? Because that is pretty awesome.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I remember watching a Derrick Comedy parody of 24, dealing with how Bauer's daughter is always getting captured. I thought it was an exaggeration, until I actually started watching the series.

I love that skit.

Langly on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

That's when I stopped taking it seriously. I kept watching it right until the point where (massive spoilers)
    Tony died and then I was like "FUCK THIS SHOW." I tried to watch the season where the Nuke goes off like realllllllly early in the season but his new black friend only reminded me of the awesome President so I stopped watching it.

The first season is really, really good though.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would like to commandeer the Qwib Qwib for ME3.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I do like how some of the renegade triggers seem to not actually give you renegade points, I wish I would have known about that before hand, I could have been doing some awesome stuff all over!

You realize that Paragon and Renegade points are cumulative, not a sliding scale.

Collecting both doesn't really change that much about you. For example, you can be 50% Paragon, and pull a Renegade trigger. You know what happens? You're now 50% Paragon and slightly more Renegade.

Too many people are ruining things for themselves by not being a little more lenient in their choices. I made it up to 100% Paragon well before the end of the game, and pulled almost every Renegade trigger, because of sheer awesome.

You sure as shit better believe I ain't got time to listen to one of them mouth off to me. I asked a question, you give me an answer, everyone lives. You don't like that, think about it as my boot shows you the express elevator to hell.

That's fun. I called 'em like I saw them, and never missed a single opportunity.

And it was glorious.

"There goes Iron Shepard. He's such a nice guy. A real Paragon of humanity. Until you mouth off to him, then he'll twist your head around backwards and shoot you in the gut."

I'm realizing this more with the second play through and doing those triggers. I think the ones to watch out for are the conversation ones, on missions I think its not a big a deal.

I just want to uphold the principles I instilled in Garrus in the first game that its not always right just because you can do it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    So, the Geth:
    After a few conversations with Legion it seems clear that the Geth are not pissed about the war the Quarians started, they just don't get it so they shake their collective heads and go about their business. They seem very interested in learning about organics and emulate them in some ways. For example Legion mentions that the Geth consider themselves Caretakers of the Quarian homeworld, cleaning up toxins and presumably allowing nature to flourish as they don't live on it themselves, they confine themselves to stations and mine asteroids for materials, its more efficient. But they don't understand organics fascination with "home", a planet is just a bunch of gasses, liquids and metals after all.

Legion is pretty awesome altogether because he's beginning to exhibit feelings in a way he can't explain, take the N7 breastplate, he chose Shepards for reasons he can't explain. I really hope there will be a peaceful resolution to the whole conflict in ME3 where the Quarians realise they fucked up, but if it comes to it I'll support the Geth over the Quarians, fuck 'em.

Loose Ends for ME3
    Looks like we have a lot of things coming to a head based on your decisions. I think one of them is going to be whether or not a war breaks out between the Geth and the Quarians, and will a cure be developed for the Genophage.

I'm assuming the Rachni are going to be back in a big way, too. Looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Langly wrote: »

wait, was it really Adam Baldwin or are you saying it just sounds like him? Because that is pretty awesome.

Oh its really him, it was a strange choice at first for the quarians, but I liked it. The female admiral quarian was also voiced by an actress that was in 24 (beirus? Mother in season 5 I believe was where she appeared).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh my god the wiki just made me realize something I never noticed
    Later in the conversation, he says that not all quarians can serve aboard ships with great names such as the Defranz or Iktomi. However, according to quarian naming conventions, these ship names would be even more embarrassing to an English speaker - his name would be Zaal'Koris vas Defranz or Zaal'Koris vas Iktomi (which would sound like vas deferens and vasectomy).

Oh Bioware.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sirson wrote: »

Wow what a well thought out opinion and statement... the trolls are strong with this one. Sounds like you hate the game and Bioware games in general, since most of them are about "Dealing with fucking problems".

I love bioware games.

This one just seemed particularly more geared toward the characters, instead of a big bad.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Cutting down that quite tree was a challenge. Anyway, yes, that was Adam Baldwin, and no, Preacher, you're not the only one that picked up on that. I was hoping I could guide things in that direction as well.

Bobble on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also...Miranda isn't a chicken alien which gives her boost vs Tali.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »

And it was glorious.

That was kind of how I ran my first playthrough. I was nice to bhe people that deserved and I threw worthless scum or mouthy bitches out of the 147th story window, smiling while they hurtled towards a very concrete-y end.

However, in my second playthrough, I'm being completely ruthless just for the fun of it. The only person I'm not going to be a dick to is Tali because I'm still keeping her for my ME3 romance (if it continues in that game, of course). Everyone else is getting a verbal or physical pimp slap from me for the whole game.

The 3rd playthrough is going to be the most fun, though. I'm not getting any ship upgrades or getting anyone loyalty to me. I'm going to see just how many people I can get killed on the final mission. This is definitely not my canon playthrough, but is just for the sheer enjoyment of seeing where the story goes when you don't prepare properly.

My first playthrough was perfect. I got everyone's loyalty, got all the ship advancements and everyone in my party survived. Definitely a solid canon run. I don't want to miss out on any possible storylines that could come from anyone on my team for ME3, so I definitely want them all alive.

Especially Tali. :winky:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah 24 is awesome except for season 6 being pretty wonky. It's still better than most tv, just a low point for the series.

And about ME2... Jacob loyalty spoilers:
    Can anyone tell me why shooting Jacob's dad is the renegade choice, and leaving him to the hunters is the neutral one? Seriously?!

Shooting him is the easy way out.

Let him die in the hell he made.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bad run through ideas for the Finale:
    Be fun to send Grunt through the Vents.. would he even fit? Make Thane try and hold up the Biotic Field... Let Jack try and lead the Fire team..

Sirson on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Cutting down that quite tree was a challenge. Anyway, yes, that was Adam Baldwin, and no, Preacher, you're not the only one that picked up on that. I was hoping I could guide things in that direction as well.

Something like that was my hope for Tali before ME2 came out. I thought it'd be really cool to have that platonic friendship with her and then see her find a good quarian chap to fall in love with, even possibly capping off with a quarian wedding (or whatever it is they do) in the ME3 epilogue.

I was not hoping, to say the least, for what ended up happening in ME2. Oh well.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Here's to hoping for ME 3 then! It would be kind of nice if you could keep your romance option but help your other crew members find their own path? I think that would be a nice way to let people not be Riker, but still have the awkward romance dialogue we have come to know and love.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.