Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - RELEASING CONTROL OF THIS FORM

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think we also have to consider the fact that Bioware may be viewing ME2 as a way to bridge certain story elements into the climax of ME3.

We didn't get very many answers, but we did extend the cast a bit and did put a few more conflicts into the pot.

All in all, I think the true success of ME2 will be judged on how everything comes together for ME3.

It's kinda like watching the Star Wars trilogy or Lord of the Rings. To really appreciate everything, the movies have to be viewed as a collective experience, which enhances the individual merits of each episode.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Stele wrote: »
    Yeah 24 is awesome except for season 6 being pretty wonky. It's still better than most tv, just a low point for the series.

And about ME2... Jacob loyalty spoilers:
    Can anyone tell me why shooting Jacob's dad is the renegade choice, and leaving him to the hunters is the neutral one? Seriously?!

Shooting him is the easy way out.

Let him die in the hell he made.

You realize they don't kill him right? You call a ship and they arrest him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PC download for Cerberus gun/armor is finally up!

Scrolling message on the in-game menu as well, but not a new news item yet.

18mb file download.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I think we also have to consider the fact that Bioware may be viewing ME2 as a way to bridge certain story elements into the climax of ME3.

We didn't get very many answers, but we did extend the cast a bit and did put a few more conflicts into the pot.

All in all, I think the true success of ME2 will be judged on how everything comes together for ME3.

It's kinda like watching the Star Wars trilogy or Lord of the Rings. To really appreciate everything, the movies have to be viewed as a collective experience, which enhances the individual merits of each episode.

That is exactly how I view the series, and I love the build up, just hope the pay off is worth it (trusted them this far, I think I'll be safe).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yea in a lot of ways 2 was a complete reboot. Very little of your decisions actually matter towards the story of part 2, and most of them are superficial..

Sirson on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah 24 is awesome except for season 6 being pretty wonky. It's still better than most tv, just a low point for the series.

Can anyone tell me why shooting Jacob's dad is the renegade choice, and leaving him to the hunters is the neutral one? Seriously?!

Really?!
    I just assumed these violent hunters would rip him to shreds. Is there a galactic news announcement later or something?

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I guess for me and I need to talk with Tali some more probably but I hope spoiler for Talis recruitment mission.

I hope tali can eventually romance and get involved with the quarian marine who you can save or let die, aside from being voiced by Adam Baldwin, I can't be the only one who picked up on more than a duty obligation to Tali in his desire to protect her.

I can potentially kill Tali with my love, but with Kregor (it sounded like that been a little since I played it) she can be with someone who can advance her species and be accepted without my love killing her.

I think I read way too much into these characters.
    wait, was it really Adam Baldwin or are you saying it just sounds like him? Because that is pretty awesome.

Cutting down that quite tree was a challenge. Anyway, yes, that was Adam Baldwin, and no, Preacher, you're not the only one that picked up on that. I was hoping I could guide things in that direction as well.

I picked it up the other way around.
    She practically begs you to save his life.

I was thinking "Ok, I'll save him because you want me to. But if he puts the moves on you I'm going Renegade Interrupt him."

gjaustin on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I guess for me and I need to talk with Tali some more probably but I hope spoiler for Talis recruitment mission.

I hope tali can eventually romance and get involved with the quarian marine who you can save or let die, aside from being voiced by Adam Baldwin, I can't be the only one who picked up on more than a duty obligation to Tali in his desire to protect her.

I can potentially kill Tali with my love, but with Kregor (it sounded like that been a little since I played it) she can be with someone who can advance her species and be accepted without my love killing her.

wait, was it really Adam Baldwin or are you saying it just sounds like him? Because that is pretty awesome.

Cutting down that quite tree was a challenge. Anyway, yes, that was Adam Baldwin, and no, Preacher, you're not the only one that picked up on that. I was hoping I could guide things in that direction as well.

Here's to hoping for ME 3 then! It would be kind of nice if you could keep your romance option but help your other crew members find their own path? I think that would be a nice way to let people not be Riker, but still have the awkward romance dialogue we have come to know and love.

I hate it in games that have romance options where your option is really "Do I make them my girlfriend or do I discard them?" It seems like there's no option to just befriend them, because if you keep talking and getting close to them you are just railroaded into fucking them. Or, you get to that point and have to say no, and then they just don't like you anymore.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Really?!
    I just assumed these violent hunters would rip him to shreds. Is there a galactic news announcement later or something?

I believe you get a private message later, and its in the story recap by the illusive man.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Here's to hoping for ME 3 then! It would be kind of nice if you could keep your romance option but help your other crew members find their own path? I think that would be a nice way to let people not be Riker, but still have the awkward romance dialogue we have come to know and love.

I'm thinking if you don't romance Tali in ME2, then Kal'Reegor will offer you his favorite gun in exchange for her. I would also pay money for this as DLC.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That is exactly how I view the series, and I love the build up, just hope the pay off is worth it (trusted them this far, I think I'll be safe).

And in reference to the guy who hated ME2, but didn't play ME1, I can absolutely see why.

Imagine watching the Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope first. You would spend the entire two hours going, "Wow, the opening with the snow walkers was awesome, but what the fuck was the rest of that crap?"

ironzerg on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I agree with your statement though, both me games thus far can be boiled down to a very limited number of main plot points which isn't to everyone's taste. I'd also add that the rpg and action elements are fairly pedestrian but you can't deny that, as a whole, the game isn't bad.

context... mild understatement (Dunno if orange has a meaning on the forums, just making sure I highlighted that part.)

the first playthrough was awesome, the rest were achievement related and "what's renegade like". runs 2-5 were a real chore. I could point out what's wrong/missing/off in the game but what's the point, I'm fairly sure the regulars in this thread aren't ready for constructive criticism yet ;p

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sirson wrote: »
    Yea in a lot of ways 2 was a complete reboot. Very little of your decisions actually matter towards the story of part 2, and most of them are superficial..

I wouldn't call it a reboot, because you can definitely feeling things are in motion based on choices from the previous game. But again, if you didn't play ME1, you're ME2 experience is really a bit trashed.

I think it all comes down to how ME3 follows through.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Really?!

I believe you get a private message later, and its in the story recap by the illusive man.

It's told throughout. When you talk to Jacob later, the references at the end of the quest, I think EDI/Joker tells you that you need to be gone before Alliance gets there, etc.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sirson wrote: »

I don't think the Council or Rachni decision was superficial. You don't feel direct consequences, but the ripple is there, and especially with the Rachni will have huge consequences in ME3.

I think your decisions in the first game will have big effects on (ME2 spoilers as well)
    Whether Wrex unites the Krogan
    Whether the Rachni help or hurt the alliance against the Reapers
    Whether the council (with anderson or udina) will aid or hinder the major races in uniting
    If you chose a human course, if many races will help at all
    And from ME2:
    If you save the genophage data
    If you re-write the heretic geth data
    If you urge the Quarians towards war or peace
    If you give the station to Cerberus or destroy it
    among other things. But I definitely didn't feel like my choices were worthless in terms of how they affected the galaxy. They might not have directly influenced my game play, but it didn't bother me.

Langly on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I want an option to hook Garrus up with some fine Turian lady in ME3. Shepard probably is going to die, but his friends deserve good endings

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also the only reason we feel lasting effects from ME 1 is because we saw them show up again in ME 2. We'll have to wait and see how they effect ME 3.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh yeah bioware you can make a new race

can't put in some female turians though

Garrus is a female turian. You just can't tell.
    There was a point in ME1 where I was walking around the wards and saw a Turian leaning against the railing with its torso obscured.

I totally expected it to be a female Turian. I got closer and realized I was wrong. Now I feel uncomfortable watching movies alone with my best friend, who is also a 'male' Turian. I don't know man... Do you think? Naw, just forget it.

Are there any mentions of female Turians? We know there aren't male Asari, and there are female Salarians, but I don't remember mention of Turian females. I know Garrus talks about his dad. Maybe they just, you know, bud.

I think Bioware could make the case that humans reproducing sexually (not fertilizing laid eggs like the Salarians) is actually a rarity among sentient species. That could be part of why we're the jerks of the galaxy. Well, we know the Quarians have both tabs and slots... honestly I think humanity and the Quarians should be better friends overall with alot in common and common interests after the recent Geth incursions. They could colonize a world with us! How many diseases will those space raptors have in common with us space gorillas? It'll be fun, I'll bring my beach ball.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh yeah bioware you can make a new race

can't put in some female turians though

Garrus is a female turian. You just can't tell.
    There was a point in ME1 where I was walking around the wards and saw a Turian leaning against the railing with its torso obscured.

I totally expected it to be a female Turian. I got closer and realized I was wrong. Now I feel uncomfortable watching movies alone with my best friend, who is also a 'male' Turian. I don't know man... Do you think? Naw, just forget it.

Are there any mentions of female Turians? We know there aren't male Asari, and there are female Salarians, but I don't remember mention of Turian females. I know Garrus talks about his dad. Maybe they just, you know, bud.

I think Bioware could make the case that humans reproducing sexually (not fertilizing laid eggs like the Salarians) is actually a rarity among sentient species. That could be part of why we're the jerks of the galaxy. Well, we know the Quarians have both tabs and slots... honestly I think humanity and the Quarians should be better friends overall with alot in common and common interests after the recent Geth incursions. They could colonize a world with us! How many diseases will those space raptors have in common with us space gorillas? It'll be fun, I'll bring my beach ball.

Thinking about it, quarians are one of the only other races in this galaxy to have distinct male and females.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Garrus had reach, and she had flexibility.

Definitely Turian females.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also the only reason we feel lasting effects from ME 1 is because we saw them show up again in ME 2. We'll have to wait and see how they effect ME 3.

Oh, and big, big, big, big, big request to Bioware for ME3.

End the story. I hope they resist the temptation to keep dragging it out.

I think the ME Universe is wonderfully constructed and there's plenty of room for ancillary stories, or even a post-Reapers MMO, but please tie up the story started in ME1 in the 3rd.

I'd hate to see such a great franchise get toasted by jumping the shark with too many sequels.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Oh, and big, big, big, big, big request to Bioware for ME3.

End the story. I hope they resist the temptation to keep dragging it out.

I think the ME Universe is wonderfully constructed and there's plenty of room for ancillary stories, or even a post-Reapers MMO, but please tie up the story started in ME1 in the 3rd.

I'd hate to see such a great franchise get toasted by jumping the shark with too many sequels.

I think they are definately ending this arc in the third game. If only because three sequels that aren't madden are hard enough to get off in the current console life span. Trying to move this story with your previous decisions mattering to another platform is a bridge too far I believe.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's hard to freakin' tell which choices are paragon and which are renegade in some of these scenarios.

For instance:
    During the part where Shepard's gotta decide whether or not to upload the virus to the heretic Geth, I think I got renegade points for deciding to kill them.

What, like it's the freakin' hight of humanity to brainwash an entire population of sentient beings? I figured they made their decision and chose to be the servants of the reapers. It's regrettable that they chose to be my enemy, but they probably knew the risks when they started this war and brainwashing is bad. Therefore, they must die."

Brainwashing seems like the more messed up choice to me.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    It's hard to freakin' tell which choices are paragon and which are renegade in some of these scenarios.

For instance:
    During the part where Shepard's gotta decide whether or not to upload the virus to the heretic Geth, I think I got renegade points for deciding to kill them.

What, like it's the freakin' hight of humanity to brainwash an entire population of sentient beings? I figured they made their decision and chose to be the servants of the reapers. It's regrettable that they chose to be my enemy, but they probably knew the risks when they started this war and brainwashing is bad. Therefore, they must die."

You are thinking of it from the human side of the equation.

To Legion these were merely malfunctioning units with bad code, rewriting them is fixing a problem. Though I blew them up too, EDEN PRIME NEVAR FORGET! Poor Jenkins? Was that that stupid mans name?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, the paragon choices are at the top right of the wheel and the renegade are at the bottom right. That is how I figure it out.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but
    I thought Legion made it pretty clear that the heretic geth weren't malfunctioning. He says something along the lines of pointing out that the heretics and the geth have reached differing conclusions. Neither side is "right" and neither side is "wrong". They've just developed opposing ideologies.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and one ideology consists of putting humans on spikes and unquestionably following ancient death machines towards the doom of all life in the galaxy

I blew those fuckers up

the best they could offer me were some more numbers on the good geths side. No need, man. Can't risk the brainwashed Geth possibly corrupting the good Geth.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

For instance:

You are thinking of it from the human side of the equation.

To Legion these were merely malfunctioning units with bad code, rewriting them is fixing a problem. Though I blew them up too, EDEN PRIME NEVAR FORGET! Poor Jenkins? Was that that stupid mans name?

Not really.
    If you ask Legion was he wants to do, he tells you that his processes are split something like 51/49 in favor of using the virus.

I'd almost argue that neither action qualifies as Paragon.
    You're destroying a culture either way. The only difference is how you do it.

From that perspective, the action that results in the least deaths would be the "Paragon" option.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Way I saw it
    The good choice is always found top right of the wheel and I wanted a Geth army for ME3.

Them along with the Rachni are going to tear some ass up.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ranced wrote: »
    The good choice is always found top right of the wheel.

Oh, if only real morality was that easy.

/--Feed Babies
    |
    0--Hug Babies
    |
    \--Eat Babies

Which would I choose without it?!?!?!?!

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    turns out the Geth come to the same conclusion again, but this time a bigger portion of them leave to join the reapers and you're left with even fewer allies

Then the Quarians attack the Geth as they see an opportunity in their weakened foe and then the Rachni show up, not to help you, but rather to get revenge on the Krogan and the council races and then you lose horribly as the reapers attack and all your allies are busy with infighting

what it could happen

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pffft everything is going to work out

sunshine and rainbows are abound when super nice shepard is around

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes I don't even know how I get renegade points. They just pop up for no freaking reason. I'll have a converstaion with someone and it'll be like

"Hey whatcha doin'?"
    "Nothin' much"
    "Alright well take care then."

RENEGADE +2

WTF.

This shit happened to me in ME1 too.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

My good man, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFLlHZSyfs

I'm sure you'll recognize more than one voice actor, too.

I personally was surprised they didn't have Miranda and the quarian Marine in a scene together or something or had special dialogue since their VA's are on that show on TV together

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got a question about choice consequences from 1 to 2, dunno if it qualifies as a spoiler, but I'll slap tags on anyways.
    Can anybody tell me what happens on Tuchanka if you killed Wrex on Virmire? The canon choice seems to be that Wrex lives, and theres no way in hell I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 again just to see what happens.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone test out the fly new gear yet?

I adore the new shotgun, it looks badass and has about double the killing range of any shotgun other than the Claymore. Only 3 shots per clip, but I can live with that since it makes the shotgun for other classes more useful.

The new armor is pretty slick too, and yes face-o-piles, you can see it through the helmet.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Got a question about choice consequences from 1 to 2, dunno if it qualifies as a spoiler, but I'll slap tags on anyways.
    Can anybody tell me what happens on Tuchanka if you killed Wrex on Virmire? The canon choice seems to be that Wrex lives, and theres no way in hell I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 again just to see what happens.

I thought I read that the default choice is the other way around.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes I don't even know how I get renegade points. They just pop up for no freaking reason. I'll have a converstaion with someone and it'll be like

"Hey whatcha doin'?"
    "Nothin' much"
    "Alright well take care then."

RENEGADE +2

WTF.

This shit happened to me in ME1 too.

Yeah that happens to me in ME2 quite a bit. Seems like there are points where you will always get 2 renegade and paragon points.

In ME1 though, I can go the whole game without getting faction points I don't want.

Ranced on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What happens:
    His brood brother is on the throne and he isn't that mad about you killing Wrex because he's not a reformist, just a typical Krogan leader. Worf is still there for different reasons and the interaction is a little different but not by much. And the ambassador guy near the Shaman is completely gone. A lot less bitching from the scientist. That's about it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I freaking knew Aria sounded like Carrie Ann Moss. And man Miranda, hott!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.