As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The X-Thread

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:
    So Ultimate X-Men is pretty much supposed to be the shit, right?

I picked up the first "Ultimate Collection" or whatever, and while I'm enjoying it, I don't quite see yet why it's hyped so much. What other X-things would you all recommend I read? Or should I keep going with the Ultimate?

Well, supposedly [spoiler:c9b7b68339] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:c9b7b68339] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

The Cable arc was great. For one they fixed one of the shittiest characters in Marvel's history and managed to make him somewhat interesting and for two, at least there was some action.
    Plus Ultimate Six Pack

Wait, what? They may have made Cable less fucktastic, but it's still an idiotic character. Whose backstory makes absolutely no sense, yet again. I was praying that they aren't actually from the future, and just saying they are, because that would be fantastic.

[spoiler:c9b7b68339]I stopped reading when it was revealed that it was just Logan[/spoiler:c9b7b68339] Does it get better, I think that was the first issue in the arc, I was all like 'Nah.'

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

I picked up the first "Ultimate Collection" or whatever, and while I'm enjoying it, I don't quite see yet why it's hyped so much. What other X-things would you all recommend I read? Or should I keep going with the Ultimate?

Well, supposedly [spoiler:d333dca663] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:d333dca663] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

The Cable arc was great. For one they fixed one of the shittiest characters in Marvel's history and managed to make him somewhat interesting and for two, at least there was some action.
    Plus Ultimate Six Pack

Wait, what? They may have made Cable less fucktastic, but it's still an idiotic character. Whose backstory makes absolutely no sense, yet again. I was praying that they aren't actually from the future, and just saying they are, because that would be fantastic.

How does the backstory not make sense when they havn't even told the backstory yet?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

Well, supposedly [spoiler:737bcdabd9] Xavier kicks it. But we all know that it's physically impossible for X-men to stay dead. Especially the psychic ones.Also, the shitty Cable arc is over, hopefully what's next will be something decent. Because the Magician arc was also shitty.[/spoiler:737bcdabd9] But Cyclops' badassitude is leaking from astonishing.

Plus Ultimate Six Pack

How does the backstory not make sense when they havn't even told the backstory yet?

Because they've heavily implied that Cable is some sort of Weapon X project. Well, actually, they've implied that Cable is Wolverine from the future, without the healing factor, but that makes even less sense.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't see how any of what you said is a problem. Heck, give the writer a chance to make an explanation before calling the whole thing rediculous.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't see how any of what you said is a problem. Heck, give the writer a chance to make an explanation before calling the whole thing rediculous.

Well, besides having adamantium without the healing factor doesn't work within the marvel universe, and the fact that Wolverine and Cable look completely different, The whole "I'm from a dystopian future" thing is pretty stupid in and of itself, much less "I'm you from a dystopian future, and your mentor has something to do with said dystopia. But I won't bother to explain it, instead I'll just kill all of you"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:

Well, besides having adamantium without the healing factor doesn't work within the marvel universe, and the fact that Wolverine and Cable look completely different, The whole "I'm from a dystopian future" thing is pretty stupid in and of itself, much less "I'm you from a dystopian future, and your mentor has something to do with said dystopia. But I won't bother to explain it, instead I'll just kill all of you"

I don't know. I just don't agree with you. Oppinions are like assholes though, everybody's got them.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:

I don't know. I just don't agree with you. Oppinions are like assholes though, everybody's got them.

And they all stink.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:

But see, that's how Logan is...

He's all HAY GUYS GRIM FUTURE BLAH BLAH BLAH SNIKT. I don't expect him to go on for 5+ pages ranting about how bad his future is. He's got a job, so he does it.

But yeah, I don't mind Cable being Logan in the Ultimate U, and I don't mind him showing up with litte backstory.

But come on, Logan shouldn't even have ANY semblance of Adamantium in his system if he dosen't have his healing factor, since it's the only thing keeping him ALIVE. Hell, I still have a problem with him being able to MOVE in the 616 U with 300+ pounds of metal grafted to your skeleton.

Transporter on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So i'm the only guy alive who likes Cable, right? :wink:

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dayspring wrote:

Yup. You probably liked Magician, too. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I haven't actually read that far in Ultimate, so anything is possible.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dayspring wrote:
    Don't worry, I'm the other one. Also, awesome sig. I loved that series, I'm just annoyed my library only had up to four.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone have an image of Magneto from Ultimate War?

Menace on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dayspring wrote:

Cable is my sister's favorite Marvel character.

Everybody's somebody's fetish?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dayspring wrote:

Nathan Dayspring Askani-son *Insert Deadpools nicknmaes* Summers? :P I'm not too fond of him, but Cable/Deadpool has made me like him more.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cable, when he's written well, can be pretty good. Just most of the time, he's not written well. I like him in C&D and on Carey's X-Men. The Captain America issue of C&D in particular is a pretty good Cable issue.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think they just don't know what to do with the character.

Malkor on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

Wait a minute. Wait one god damned minute. Magician is awesome. I'll brook no opinions to the contrary.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

Wait a minute. Wait one god damned minute. Magician is awesome. I'll brook no opinions to the contrary.

Oh, yeah, totally. Characters that can do absolutely anything they want at any time with no consequences are totally awesome!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Blackjack wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

Oh, yeah, totally. Characters that can do absolutely anything they want at any time with no consequences are totally awesome!

Wolverine +Wanda Maximoff! Genius!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

His power is awesome but more or less impractical since they alter reality locally to fit his desires. As we saw, things go right back to normal afterwards. Since he wanted to be an X-Men, he basically created problems and fixed them in order to get on the team. He can't even really rely on everyone else being real with him since his power manipulates things.

Anyway, Magician is great. Too bad his power is too impractical to use properly as a recurring character.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    wwtMask wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

His power is awesome but more or less impractical since they alter reality locally to fit his desires. As we saw, things go right back to normal afterwards. Since he wanted to be an X-Men, he basically created problems and fixed them in order to get on the team. He can't even really rely on everyone else being real with him since his power manipulates things.

Anyway, Magician is great. Too bad his power is too impractical to use properly as a recurring character.

They purposely wrote a Mary Sue. For the sake of my brain, I pretend it was some sort of commentary on something.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Picked up Astonishing X-Men: Torn last night, and I'm finally caught up on the full story line. Talk about convoluted, you almost need a guide to figure out what happened in the story arc. I started buying the monthlies in the middle of that arc, and I was never able to figure out completely what was going on. Now I think I've got it (mostly).

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've got 3 or 4 comic shops on the walk home from work. I may just end up harassing all of them if need be, in order to get my Astonishing X-Men fix.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    X-MenSilvestri.jpg

This will always be the greatest, and most ruthless of X-Men teams...
    Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Havok, Longshot, Dazzler, Colossus, and Psylocke

No Xavier (dying in space for four real time years), no mansion (with no Xavier they were fugitives), thus came Storm's proposal: Fake their deaths, and strike brutally at their enemies instead of waiting for them to attack. Needless to say Wolverine was all for it.

Those were the best stories, with the most depressing ending ever for an X-Men team. They were ruthless and stranded in the outback, with Xavier's dream lost. Thus, they self-destructed and were lost through the Seige Perilous. :( It took Forge and Banshee to realize the X-Men weren't dead and bring the team back together.

This team lineup spanned years introducing some of the most underrated and emotionally charged storylines in X-Men history including the introduction of Genosha, the mutant slave state, and the ultimate battle of this X-Men lineup vs. the original line up (as X-Factor).

Great friggin stories man.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    Picked up Astonishing X-Men: Torn last night, and I'm finally caught up on the full story line. Talk about convoluted, you almost need a guide to figure out what happened in the story arc. I started buying the monthlies in the middle of that arc, and I was never able to figure out completely what was going on. Now I think I've got it (mostly).
    Yeahbuwhat?

Edit: And I didn't think Magician was too terrible, but I think that's because what preceded it was so bad that the Magician seemed okay by comparison.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So it's been a while since I've read any comics at all.
    (See 4-5 years)
    So I was wondering, where is a good spot that won't confuse me to pick from? Whats currently the most enjoyable?
    :oops:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doku-san wrote:
    So it's been a while since I've read any comics at all.
    (See 4-5 years)
    So I was wondering, where is a good spot that won't confuse me to pick from? Whats currently the most enjoyable?
    :oops:

X-Factor, Daredevil, Runaways.

Lots of stuff!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I found one of my old ones :P And it's one of the last ones I bought too.
    X-MEN: Vol.1, No 81. November 1998.
    Better add a few years onto the 4-5 I said earlier :lol:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    MidVicious wrote:

No Xavier (dying in space for four real time years), no mansion (with no Xavier they were fugitives), thus came Storm's proposal: Fake their deaths, and strike brutally at their enemies instead of waiting for them to attack. Needless to say Wolverine was all for it.

I started reading the X-Men just as this team came together after the Mutant Massacre, and it's my favourite era by far. Of course, the whole 'fake our deaths and then strike our enemies' plan didn't last long, as they pretty much just sat around their Australian base and got attacked in the same way they used to sit around the mansion and get attacked, but hey, at least it was a different base. Silvestri's art was just perfect in those days.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bogart wrote:
    MidVicious wrote:

I started reading the X-Men just as this team came together after the Mutant Massacre, and it's my favourite era by far. Of course, the whole 'fake our deaths and then strike our enemies' plan didn't last long, as they pretty much just sat around their Australian base and got attacked in the same way they used to sit around the mansion and get attacked, but hey, at least it was a different base. Silvestri's art was just perfect in those days.

I loved those days too. The story was so much easier to follow, and cool stuff was happening to the original team over in X-Factor. My favorite X-Men team, by far, was the team leading right up to the Mutant Massacre. I started collecting with the Nimrod/Hellfire Club/X-Men battle in Central Park, and the art and story were good enough to hook me on comics for life.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Say what you will about Claremont, but this was his heyday. And it was right about the time Louise Simonson took over X-Factor after Byrne and really started to make that team work well. The best part about the X-Men at that time was that Uncanny, X-Factor and New Mutants all had their own individual running plots, but they'd all interconnect with the other two books, usually resulting in the big crossovers that everybody seems to hate these days. It makes continuity tricky, I guess, but I love that basically everything from Dark Phoenix Saga to Inferno is part of one really, really long arc.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have been disappointed with New X-Men these last couple issues.

Mostly because I'm not that fond of X-23 or Hellion, and the book has pretty much become The X-23 and Hellion Show. Hopefully that changes soon.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm totally digging Exiles right now. I've been buying up as many back issues as I can.

Malkor on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    So, just to ask: has anyone heard anything about the X-Crossover that's supposed to be out this year? I think I remember hearing someone from Marvel state that Cable will be important in some way, but that's about it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    So, just to ask: has anyone heard anything about the X-Crossover that's supposed to be out this year? I think I remember hearing someone from Marvel state that Cable will be important in some way, but that's about it.
    They are being very hush about it. I expected news of some sort last weekend, but we probably won't know anything until at least san diego, and maybe not even then. I'd bet about 3 months before the event starts, and it starts in the fall sometime.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My boner grows by the minute.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    tehfalconertehfalconer moonrocks in my noseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Dayspring wrote:

Deus Ex Machina FTW!

tehfalconer on
    ... you will be the falcon, and I shall remain... The Falconer!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    New X-Men was all right.

Still don't like the whole Hellion and X-23 being the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed, but I'll deal.

Santo is still great, though.
    "So what did you even do while Dust and I were taking guys down? Oh, right. You 'phased.' Awesome. Geez, Foley. I wonder if we'll ever get to be real X-Men like Miss Pryde here. It seems really hard."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved it. Still do... it's honestly the most hardcore X-book going on right now. I imagine they'll start dialing back on the X-23 and Hellion... this book has done a good job so far of being an ensemble...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'