As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V - Game disks MUST be tossed. Salad optional.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    40 US Dollars for the package that includes Colonization and Warlords, or $40 for just Civ IV and BtS.
    Hmm. That's too expensive compared to what I could get for retail around here.

Physical copy or one that follows you to your death? Dillema.

Too bad you missed the Steam holiday sale, where the Civ 4 Complete pack (all expansions + Colonization) went for 14 bucks.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, one of the things that was always strange about Civ maps is that 1 movement point east or west at the equator moved you the same "distance" (e.g., the same percentage of the map) as 1 movement point east or west just south / north of the poles.

I wonder if there's any plans to switch to a more ... globular ... map?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mwoody wrote: »
    On the subject of hexes in games, this seemed pertinent.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html

Oh hey, Erfworld started up book 2. I love when I discover a comic I like has built up enough of a backlog not to be a blueball.

Haha. I know the feeling, though.

Tamin on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Inzigna wrote: »
    40 US Dollars for the package that includes Colonization and Warlords, or $40 for just Civ IV and BtS.
    Hmm. That's too expensive compared to what I could get for retail around here.

Physical copy or one that follows you to your death? Dillema.

Too bad you missed the Steam holiday sale, where the Civ 4 Complete pack (all expansions + Colonization) went for 14 bucks.

That is unfortunate. I'll hold out for a sale then, too bad I can't see it in my region. If only.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hexes > squares. Just saying.

And tiles are nice because of the precision and boardgame feel the give Civ. To me, it's like this ultimate boardgame that would be completely unmanageable without a computer.

I hope they make late game empires less time intensive. I also never enjoyed transporting land units by sea, but I can't really think of a way to make it less annoying. Finally, I would like large empires full of unremarkable cities to be a viable option again. The games have been trending too much towards encouraging the building of megacities for my taste. I'm not saying lots of small cities should be superior, just that it should be a viable option.
    Kivutar wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/50100/
    Available: 2 September 2010
    This game will unlock in approximately 6 months, 3 weeks, 5 days and 16 hours

Really? Right at the start of the Fall semester?

That's rather evil.

enc0re on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok Elven, at this point you are being purposely obtuse. Your entire argument is based around how hexes are not as efficient in the cardinal directions, despite the fact that this is entirely irrelevant to anything at all gameplay wise.
    While it may not make sense for an army to be able to march into Colorado from Arizona without touching Utah or New Mexico, it similarly makes no sense for an army to be unable to march on Montreal from New York without visiting Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont.

This analogy is not very good. It can also go against squares if you enforce a diagonal penalty. It's just a commentary on the nature of abstract grid systems in wargames.
    Moreover, you seem to be stuck on a requirement that 1 square diagonally must always cost 1 movement unit. There are lots, and lots, and lots of square-gridded rulesets in which this is not the case. Ergo, it is not a productive line of argument.

I'm not stuck on it, that's the way it works in civilizations past. I know how 3.5 works, I've played it. It was another hack to make diagonal movement fit in, because Wotc is married to squares for their miniature sales, and to make it easier for people to grasp. But once you start making diagonal penalties, it's effectively about the same as not allowing diagonal movement. And then your movement is even MORE restricted. So why not just use hexes?
    Well, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. "I can't run in a straight line both north-and-south and east-and-west" is certainly a criticism of hexes, and it is certainly true.

It's an incredibly weak criticism, from a person who is obviously scrambling to find something, ANYTHING to criticize. It still doesn't affect anything gameplay wise, and so is completely pointless. Whether the path an army takes, between two points determined by finding the center of their start and end hexes, is completely efficient in a geometric sense, is not important at all to the game, since the game measures all distances and effects in terms of the hexes! So why do you even care?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm hoping transporting sea units takes a page from the Planetfall mod for Civ 4. In that land units simply move over both land and water within your territory; they just get a little ship model added to the unit graphic while over water. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this for transcontinental movement once modern navy techs come up.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thorpe wrote: »
    I'm hoping transporting sea units takes a page from the Planetfall mod for Civ 4. In that land units simply move over both land and water within your territory; they just get a little ship model added to the unit graphic while over water. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this for transcontinental movement once modern navy techs come up.

Another game I played recently - albeit a realtime one - did something similar, with land units the entered the water just turning into boats. Might have been Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery. Whatever it was, I liked it a lot.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Not sure I like this idea. Seems to me that if you want that kind of naval mobility you should have to build the ships necessary to do so.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok Elven, at this point you are being purposely obtuse.

No, I'm not. And, seriously, lay off the insults.
    Your entire argument is based around how hexes are not as efficient in the cardinal directions, despite the fact that this is entirely irrelevant to anything at all gameplay wise.

No, it isn't. My entire argument is that both hexes and squares are abstractions, and you can write a ruleset which will utilize either in a perfectly acceptable fashion. Hexes are not inherently superior, and neither are squares. Pick the one that works best for your ruleset and your aesthetics.
    While it may not make sense for an army to be able to march into Colorado from Arizona without touching Utah or New Mexico, it similarly makes no sense for an army to be unable to march on Montreal from New York without visiting Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont.

This analogy is not very good.

It is just as good as yours.
    It's just a commentary on the nature of abstract grid systems in wargames.

By George, I think he's got it!
    Moreover, you seem to be stuck on a requirement that 1 square diagonally must always cost 1 movement unit. There are lots, and lots, and lots of square-gridded rulesets in which this is not the case. Ergo, it is not a productive line of argument.

I'm not stuck on it, that's the way it works in civilizations past.[/quote]

And yet, squares were how it worked in Civilizations past. Switching to hexes or switching to staggered movement costs are both changes. They elected to go one way, but they could just as easily have elected to go another - or, even, done away with the grid entirely (though I don't think that would fit as well as either grid, but I'm willing to be proved wrong).
    But once you start making diagonal penalties, it's effectively about the same as not allowing diagonal movement. And then your movement is even MORE restricted. So why not just use hexes?

What? Disallowing diagonal movement? That argument doesn't make any sense, since I've been counting diagonals as my players and my own pieces move for years. Disallowing, indeed!
    It's an incredibly weak criticism, from a person who is obviously scrambling to find something, ANYTHING to criticize.

Your characterization is misplaced. This "argument" started because someone said, incorrectly, that "All reasons for disliking hexes don't exist."

That's is a factually wrong statement. Now, you're arguing why you like hexes. I like hexes, too. I'm just not emotionally invested in trying to prove their perfection.

Now, unless you've got something substantial to add - such as addressing the criticism you missed:
    "It takes me either one or two people to block a 1hex-wide corridor running N-S depending on where in the corridor I'm standing."

... shall we call this done?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ya know, last time I saw pages of posts that quoted and disiminated the last post point by point... it was the WoW forums...

So yeah... lets get back onto something else...

Didn't someone say their going to bring advisors back? I never played Civ 2, but saw the vids someone posted earlier... and got a chuckle or two, were they helpful at all? Anyone hoping that they stick with live actors, and/or the culture guy still looks like Elvis all through the ages?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The day they put a quasi-full version of Civilization on the DS or DS-equivalent portable system is the day I start my descent into homelessness.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The day they put a quasi-full version of Civilization on the DS or DS-equivalent portable system is the day I start my descent into homelessness.

There was a DS version of Civ: Revolutions I think.

Don't know if it was any good or not but now that I remember it I have a strong, overpowering desire to purchase.
    Zedar wrote: »

Not sure I like this idea. Seems to me that if you want that kind of naval mobility you should have to build the ships necessary to do so.

You could make it a promotion of some kind. Moving large numbers of units really far in 4 is so annoying that I really hope they have some change in how it's done. It would probably make it easier for the AIs to pull of naval invasions too.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The DS version of Civ: Revolutions is quite fun.
    It's obviously not as deep as the PC versions, but it feels and plays like a Civ game.

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

There was a DS version of Civ: Revolutions I think.

Don't know if it was any good or not but now that I remember it I have a strong, overpowering desire to purchase.

You could make it a promotion of some kind. Moving large numbers of units really far in 4 is so annoying that I really hope they have some change in how it's done. It would probably make it easier for the AIs to pull of naval invasions too.

I enjoyed the hell out of the DS version. It was good times.

Good bye life Hellllllooo Civ 5. I loved 4 and I hope that 5 is everything I want it to be.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, one of the things that was always strange about Civ maps is that 1 movement point east or west at the equator moved you the same "distance" (e.g., the same percentage of the map) as 1 movement point east or west just south / north of the poles.

Well that's a fundamentally difficult problem. I'm not aware of any nicely behaved coordinate system for the surface of a sphere. But I'm not enough of a mathematician to know about setting up a tessellation on one.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Well that's a fundamentally difficult problem. I'm not aware of any nicely behaved coordinate system for the surface of a sphere. But I'm not enough of a mathematician to know about setting up a tessellation on one.

There's really no way to do it (since you'd have to at some point lose tiles, which would always cause weirdness with a tile-based movement system), other than having the tiles shrink as you go further north (which would be the easiest way to do it, and as long as they shrink slow enough it wouldn't be jarringly obvious)

Going back to the naval transporting discussion, I'd actually like if they could just implement a system by which units could "build their own transport" when entering water tiles (cost 4 turns or something), and they just build their own transports (probably with the limitations on trimenes - can only travel in shallow waters, etc etc) - basically the equivalent of building viking boats. That way it's simpler, still takes time, but you don't have to waste city construction on it (and you don't have to have a city on the water to be able to send ground troops across a lake).

For later times, though, I think they just need bigger transports - there's really no way you could transport a tank platoon without building some sort of fairly large ship, but it's annoying to have to build 80 things to move your army at once

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuck. 2K games is releasing it? They better not put that stupid activation limit on it like they do with their other games (looking at the Borderlands DLC) or I'm not gonna buy this either.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'd like something to be quasi automated though. Something like, I setup a shipping lane that acts like a bridge then either I have to provide the ships to either manually guard it, or the more expensive the shipping lane the higher the automatic defenses of the ships that ferry the units from city to city. I'd be nice even just for automated workers to move back and forth between islands/continents for just one example.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kivutar wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/50100/
    Available: 2 September 2010
    This game will unlock in approximately 6 months, 3 weeks, 5 days and 16 hours

Just hits nicely.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was all ready to dismiss this, since I haven't even played Civ IV as much as I'd like but a hexgrid? I'm there.

Dracil: Uh, of course Take 2 are publishing it, they own Firaxis and Civilization.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After all this time, I didn't think they'd actually do a Civ5. Wow.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    Ooooooh.

September 1st was the exact date that I was shooting for to finish my big project.

Now that's motivation.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    quarthinos wrote: »
    Those hexes remind me of Avalon Hill...

Fixed

Fixed

Fixed

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha wow it's listed on Steam already?

Oh man. There goes the rest of my life.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Caught this over at the Codex:

Reading the Civ5-thread in Paradox Interactive's OT, a Danish guy has written down some info given in a Danish magazine:

Quote:
    - Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
    - Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
    - Inspired by Panzer General.
    - Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - More diplomatic options between players.
    - Less "cheating" AI.
    - Religion is not a factor anymore.
    - Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
    - City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
    - Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
    - About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
    - Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
    - Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
    - DirectX 11 support.
    - Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5753192&postcount=23

No stacking and hex grids = excellence.

Archers firing over units = mixed bag. Makes the scale of the game smaller, but might be fun.

Finite resources is a bit 'meh'. Seems very gamey. Are they aware that, ummm, that's not how horses work? They can self-replicate. It's amazing!

No more religion = SUCK.

I had high hopes after hearing about the hex grids, but I'm getting the feeling that some of the fears re: Revolutions are coming to pass. Hope not. Lots of time to find out. In the meantime, I have FFH2 and Rise of Mankind to keep me amused.

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Haha wow it's listed on Steam already?

Oh man. There goes the rest of my life.

Well, you still have 6 months or so to get your affairs in order.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo removing religions.

THE UNBELIEVERS MUST DIE. ALL HAIL THE GREAT CONFUCIAN EMPIRE.

The resource thing I think might be okay if it's mitigated by the number of turns you control it or it's like... "You control horse pasture, after you build a horse, it takes 5 turns for another horse to become available for use." Units dying to get it back sounds really fucking stupid, so I'm assuming the translation is stupid. "We regained our bronze after Captain Doofus led a suicide charge 50 miles deep in enemy territory! Hooray!" MY way would naturally limit it AND make it so that capturing more of a resource really is useful above and beyond trade, and you could stockpile! And have to balance for wonder use! See? My way is the strong Ukranian way.

It'd be interesting to see how that works with the non-military resources, but they could just accomplish that by saying like... "X has grain... 10 turns of grain bonus" and have the grain be on a regrow of 5. Or one nonmilitary resource can serve X cities (albeit the micromanaging there could get annoying). Or just leave the nonmilitary resources as they currently are.

SPECULATION! HA!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Reading the Civ5-thread in Paradox Interactive's OT, a Danish guy has written down some info given in a Danish magazine:

Quote:
    - Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
    - Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
    - Inspired by Panzer General.
    - Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - Less "cheating" AI.
    - Religion is not a factor anymore.
    - Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
    - City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
    - About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
    - Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
    - DirectX 11 support.
    - Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5753192&postcount=23

No stacking and hex grids = excellence.

Archers firing over units = mixed bag. Makes the scale of the game smaller, but might be fun.

Finite resources is a bit 'meh'. Seems very gamey. Are they aware that, ummm, that's not how horses work? They can self-replicate. It's amazing!

No more religion = SUCK.

I had high hopes after hearing about the hex grids, but I'm getting the feeling that some of the fears re: Revolutions are coming to pass. Hope not. Lots of time to find out. In the meantime, I have FFH2 and Rise of Mankind to keep me amused.

For the limited resources, consider as in that supply of horses/iron/whatever is keeping that unit with fresh mounts/weapons/whatever, for when the old ones get damaged/old.

It makes sense, given the logical fallacy that is Civ, since they have never even let you replicate corn/wheat/whatnot.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Inspired by Panzer General"? fuuuuck yeeeesssss

I'll take that lil bit of wargaming in my 4x, thank you. That sounds awesome, I don't care what anyone says.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Quote:
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - Less "cheating" AI.

All interesting/good.

What?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't care if its world map is made up of trapezoids, I'm playing the next Civ game.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sid Meier is also working on a totally awesome, cannot possibly be bad application of Civilization.

I totally read it as this and only this.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

What?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/civnetwork?ref=ts

I don't think anything actual game-wise has been revealed yet, though it wouldn't shock me if it winds up something more resembling Revolution

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    18 Civs. Seems like Germany and the US are in, so we have 16 slots to go. My take..

3. Chinese
    4. Japanese
    5. Indian
    6. Roman
    7. Ancient Greek
    8. Russian
    9. English
    10. French
    11. Egyptian
    12. Arabian
    13. Ottoman
    14. Spanish
    15. Aztec
    16. Incan
    17. Persian
    18. Mongol

Reboot on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I don't care if its world map is made up of trapezoids, I'm playing the next Civ game.

2n8onkn.jpg

It was already like that in Civ4, apparently.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    2n8onkn.jpg

It was already like that in Civ4, apparently.

Oh snap

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    Next time on Mr. Wizard, we learn about perspectives.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I dunno, Civ 4 was all about simplifying the series and that's what made it great. So far Civ 5 looks like they're making it more complex, again.

tofu on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't think religions, unit abilities, corps, great people, and all the culture changes were a step towards simplicity.

Aroduc on
This discussion has been closed.