As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    and my crash to desktop (on the 360, no less), I would probably give them some slack on the buggy part.

Happened to me as well. Glad my Xbox isn't on the fritz.

Does the game/screen "blink" with anyone else right before you are allowed to join a match?

And I am a UAV Gawd in this game. I love blasting a tank with the hellfire, some asshole getting out to repair the tank, and then just mowing that poor bastard down.

Mortar strikes both piss me off and make me happy. They seem to be a bit nerfed from BC1, which basically let you rain down hell. Lasted longer and was more powerful. Though I'm still filled with glee whenever a well placed one nails an asshole sniper.

Sheep on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    strategery wrote: »
    I'm still in shock about the sound too. I'm so tired of people who think Call of Duty is the pinnacle of shooter sound design. It does not, nor has it ever, sounded anything like reality. The weapon sound effects are so hollywood-ized it's painful. That's not to say BC2 is bang on either, but it's so much closer than anything else out there that it really is embarrassing to every other shooter dev out there.

Well I'm guessing most people who play these games aren't exactly the gun fanatic you are :lol: I do also wonder if they feel the need to not really mess with the sound in CoD/MW2 for the simple fact that people play those games so fanatically that the sound is a big way in how they play the game. Change how some things sounds, and you'll have a big fanboy retard rodeo on your hands.

See the real question though is why would they not want to include sound design similar to the BC games in any shooter? I honestly have an easier time pinpointing enemy locations in BC2 just off of sound than I do any other shooter. The problem I've always had with MW2 and most other shooters is that, at range, it can be very difficult to pinpoint enemy locations because guns sound the same with only minimal location effects to tell you front, rear, left, or right. There's no delay in sound for long distance shooting or anything like that. It's just a sound that comes from a different side.

Whereas in BC2 going off of the snap of the bullet and the direction the crack of the gun came from you can actually figure out distance and direction very quickly. Just as you would in reality. Long range shots especially. You hear the bullet snap past you, then hear the crack of the rifle. It's perfect how they modeled it, and frankly is absolutely insane that nobody has attempted to copy these effects. Even if they wanted to keep their own weapon sound effects, use some of the other stuff. Because it's fucking brilliant.

And when you see all the people who rave about how good BC's sound is, even people who don't like the game will tell you it sounds incredible, why wouldn't you want to do that? In my opinion the BC games are the first, and only, games to truly embody HD next-gen sound effects. Everything else sounds like it did back on the PS2 or OX-box.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love how hearing a sniper rifle has the exact effect it should: immediate paranoia and distraction. Had a medic distracted from across a level just trying to figure out where the hell I was shooting from which meant I did more by not killing him than killing him and having him back in the fight in ten seconds. Hearing those bullets whine past is very disconcerting.

Also just got the paddles unlocked and it is remarkably fun just running around a firefight bringing the dead back to life. Had a piece of time where me and a guy playing Assault sitting behind a stack of concrete (which barely covered the two of us) kept an entire building full of troops suppressed until our team moved up. Then we proceeded to keep the entire building secured from across the road. He kept my machine gun brimming with ammo and I kept him staying dead.

Of course, 30 seconds after we left the position, our team lost the spot. Argh.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It'd be totally awesome if I could actually play this game. I get kicked from the server without fail after my first kill each time.

I also spawn with only my two guns, no kit accessories like medpack or paddles. I dunno what's going on there.

I'm glad we've let it get to the point where these shenanigans are acceptable. The beta ran wonderfully for me. =(

AINT GAWT TIME FOH DIS SHIT

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Most amusing experience I've had was on the snowy, small village conquest map, me and my squad were fighting over location B. The other team was in the building opposite us. I ran around to the back of their building (which was pretty torn up by this point) and tossed in C4 where I thought it was needed in order to drop the building, not sure I had picked the right places.

Ran out, detonated the C4, and then heard the joyous sound of the superstructure groaning. Killed one or two in the collapse.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love how hearing a sniper rifle has the exact effect it should: immediate paranoia and distraction.

God yes. You hear that crack off in the distance and suddenly FUCK FUCK A SNIPER RUN.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Knorre wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    What are people's key bindings?

I keep WASD, but I moved my spot to left alt and my knife to the tilde key. Unfortunately, when I tried tab, it ignored it. I'd prefer knife to go to the nice large key right next to my movement, but oh well.

Additionally, any trick on getting microsoft mouses to not scroll like shit?

I also have problems with my Microsoft ARC Mouse! Bumping this, we need help D:

I have tried changing the drivers and stuff. Something I haven't tried is a generic mouse driver, although I am not sure how to make that happen.

Everyone: Keybindings? What are yours?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How are the servers today. Less shit-losing?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, people should start including what version they're playing with their complaints. There seem to be some distinctly different problems between the console and PC versions.

Aoi on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how the back of the PC case says you can play with up to 24 players, when in fact it's 32. :P

And dammit, multiplayer servers are still down. I also can't seem to add servers to my favorites. There are a ton of great Chicago ones I've been wanting to add.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    How are the servers today. Less shit-losing?

yep!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, seriously... medics don't start with medkits and defibs anymore? What the hell is the point of that?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    So, seriously... medics don't start with medkits and defibs anymore? What the hell is the point of that?

To make you REALLY want it.

But yeah. That was kinda crap. Only class that doesn't start with at least one of its utilities.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I started with my medkits and defibrillator immediately. I don't know how or why. They were just there and continue to be there.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Knorre wrote: »
    What are people's key bindings?

I keep WASD, but I moved my spot to left alt and my knife to the tilde key. Unfortunately, when I tried tab, it ignored it. I'd prefer knife to go to the nice large key right next to my movement, but oh well.

Snip....
    Everyone: Keybindings? What are yours?

I'm enjoying the default setup - they did a good job.

I might move knife from middle mouse to one of my thumb mouse buttons, but I can't really think of anything that's off.

Dashui wrote: »

I started with my medkits and defibrillator immediately. I don't know how or why. They were just there and continue to be there.

As did I. Same as in the Beta.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm still in shock about the sound too. I'm so tired of people who think Call of Duty is the pinnacle of shooter sound design. It does not, nor has it ever, sounded anything like reality. The weapon sound effects are so hollywood-ized it's painful. That's not to say BC2 is bang on either, but it's so much closer than anything else out there that it really is embarrassing to every other shooter dev out there.

Well I'm guessing most people who play these games aren't exactly the gun fanatic you are :lol: I do also wonder if they feel the need to not really mess with the sound in CoD/MW2 for the simple fact that people play those games so fanatically that the sound is a big way in how they play the game. Change how some things sounds, and you'll have a big fanboy retard rodeo on your hands.

See the real question though is why would they not want to include sound design similar to the BC games in any shooter? I honestly have an easier time pinpointing enemy locations in BC2 just off of sound than I do any other shooter. The problem I've always had with MW2 and most other shooters is that, at range, it can be very difficult to pinpoint enemy locations because guns sound the same with only minimal location effects to tell you front, rear, left, or right. There's no delay in sound for long distance shooting or anything like that. It's just a sound that comes from a different side.

Whereas in BC2 going off of the snap of the bullet and the direction the crack of the gun came from you can actually figure out distance and direction very quickly. Just as you would in reality. Long range shots especially. You hear the bullet snap past you, then hear the crack of the rifle. It's perfect how they modeled it, and frankly is absolutely insane that nobody has attempted to copy these effects. Even if they wanted to keep their own weapon sound effects, use some of the other stuff. Because it's fucking brilliant.

And when you see all the people who rave about how good BC's sound is, even people who don't like the game will tell you it sounds incredible, why wouldn't you want to do that? In my opinion the BC games are the first, and only, games to truly embody HD next-gen sound effects. Everything else sounds like it did back on the PS2 or OX-box.

Ya know, I played almost all online last night, and I tend to have the sound turned way down when online so I can hear my team on the headset, so I really missed a lot of this when playing. I'll definitely have to turn things up a bit this evening so I can get the full effect of the apparently awesome sound design.

Oh yeah, and let me know when you're on. I don't think we've Bauer'd it up since the GRAW 2 days.

Aoi on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't get why some people don't have them unlocked right away? I do. Is it a bug or is there some difference between me and those who aren't getting them? The first time I played I had access to several different gun and gadget choices and then when I was having trouble connecting to EA's server and I was being kicked everything except for a few weapons were unlocked. So I thought it was a bug.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone have any luck getting the 360 controller to work for this on the pc?

was trying to jury rig it up last night but had no luck, game wouldnt recognise it.

Aretè on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if it was carried over from the beta or by way of the (PC) Limited Edition, but I got a medpack and ammopack out of the gate. I still see them coming up as unlockables, but since they are already unlocked, there is no reward.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That surprised me too. It was awesome having people all over my team yelling at me to heal when I had jack-all but my gun as a medic. Odd way to start out a class like that one.
    I don't get why some people don't have them unlocked right away? I do. Is it a bug or is there some difference between me and those who aren't getting them? The first time I played I had access to several different gun and gadget choices and then when I was having trouble connecting to EA's server and I was being kicked everything except for a few weapons were unlocked. So I thought it was a bug.

Does the VIP code that comes with the purchased game unlock some kit items perhaps?

Aoi on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, I had a guy just now drop out of my squad because I couldn support in any role : medkits, ammo, or impact wrench

Not a fan of starting like this but oh well, I admit I'm having a blast now that the servers are a bit more stable now.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Thinking it might be a bug. I have nothing where my defib should go, and the medkit slot alternates between a RPG (with a skull icon) and a 40mm GL (with a skull icon).

It's really obnoxious, though. It's not like the PKM is such a fearsome, all-purpose weapon that the class is complete without the medkit and defib.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    From twitter:
    OfficialBFBC2

BFBC2 PC Servers (Clients won't need a patch) are being updated to resolve game client<->game server connectivity issues.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    BrimfieldBrimfield Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That surprised me too. It was awesome having people all over my team yelling at me to heal when I had jack-all but my gun as a medic. Odd way to start out a class like that one.

Does the VIP code that comes with the purchased game unlock some kit items perhaps?

I have the VIP etc, and all my stuff was/is locked. (360)

Brimfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xbl: brimfields
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel like I've got something set up wrong. I get killed a lot by people firing at me through smoke. I can be looking right at them and not see them, yet they seem to have no problem seeing me.

Is there some way to make the smoke a bit more transparent? Is the bloom fucking that up, too?

Being spotted is probably it, but there could be a more nefarious thing behind this as well...

Someone mentioned that Pancake mentioned (kinda vague, I know) that at really low settings smoke had very little effect on visibility.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I never found smoke to be a big deal when I was playing on Low.

Senshi on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have restarted PA West as Rush mode.

It seems like Conquest maps are like 1/5 of a Rush map.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's gotta be a bug. Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brimfield wrote: »

Same here!

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »

Same here!

Was just a thought. I know with Battlefield 2142 there were all kind of promotions that could get you early unlocks for when you finally got the game. People could be 4 or 5 into their class by the time they booted up the first time if they had gotten keys from them all. I just figured it might be something like that.

Aoi on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I had them locked on the 360 so I ran around as the squad machine gunner until the medic pouch unlocked. Later I got the defribs.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've considered messing with the graphics options to improve visibility, but I just can't do it. There's just something enormously compelling to me to see a huge, opaque cloud of dust kicked up every time an Abrams fires off a round. All the smoke and dust just make me happy, even when it ruins a clear shot.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had all my class widgets unlocked from the start. I'm supposing it might be because I played the demo? Pretty sure it's not a VIP thing since I don't have one, yet (I did the keep it option on gamefly and it's in the mail).

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hardcore isn't bad at all. The first sniper rifle is largely one shot one kill.

Sheep on
  • Options
    daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nonplussed wrote: »
    I had all my class widgets unlocked from the start. I'm supposing it might be because I played the demo? Pretty sure it's not a VIP thing since I don't have one, yet (I did the keep it option on gamefly and it's in the mail).

I played the PC beta (to around level 6 or so) and don't have any class gadgets unlocked to start out with.

daggah on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I've done VIP code and did Veteran stuff and I've yet to get access to anything.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel like I've got something set up wrong. I get killed a lot by people firing at me through smoke. I can be looking right at them and not see them, yet they seem to have no problem seeing me.

Is there some way to make the smoke a bit more transparent? Is the bloom fucking that up, too?

Being spotted is probably it, but there could be a more nefarious thing behind this as well...

Someone mentioned that Pancake mentioned (kinda vague, I know) that at really low settings smoke had very little effect on visibility.
    Actually it was Sepah whining that he got shot through smoke and that it must have been Pancake purposefully playing on low settings.

Speaking of low settings, dang the M95 is fun to hear but it's so baaad.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MeteMete Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So um, is the official EU release date the 4th or the 5th? Wikipedia and an ad in the official webpage say it's the 5th while the time counter, my local game store and some sites say it's tomorrow.

Mete on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is the barrett 50 cal a one shot kill in normal mode?

Hoz on
  • Options
    Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The M1 Garand feels just like the FAL in MW2.

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
This discussion has been closed.