As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So with ghonnorea showing up thats what 3 BoB people that have been on justified now? They had Luntz as the DA in season 1, now we have ghonnorea and buck compton in season 3, whats next Nixon and Winters show up to be holding comptons leash?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Timothy Olyphant was just on Conan, talking about being nominated but not getting the Emmy. Me mentioned that he'd slept with three of the eighty-some critics doing the voting and wondered "was that too many or not enough?"

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    This was definitely a solid episode. Put me in the "worried a hell about Art the whole damn time" camp, since I've been hurt before. I don't trust my mains to be alright.

And it's been a while since I saw Fight Club but damn that ending had me wincing the whole time.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Anyone want to place odds on whether or not we'll see a movie starring Denzel Washington about that black marshal they mentioned at the beginning of the episode somewhere in the next 12 months?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Anyone want to place odds on whether or not we'll see a movie starring Denzel Washington about that black marshal they mentioned at the beginning of the episode somewhere in the next 12 months?

Would be pretty cool, nothing on imdb though.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:

This is so going to happen. Just mentioning it like that.

Has Yost done any movie work before with any big name black actors, or any big directors (Spielberg?)

I bet this will totally, totally be in development at least by this time next year.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    SammyF wrote:

This is so going to happen. Just mentioning it like that.

Has Yost done any movie work before with any big name black actors, or any big directors (Spielberg?)

I bet this will totally, totally be in development at least by this time next year.

I wouldn't bet against you.

I wish Boyd would pitch my movie idea in the next episode.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I just cannot fathom how the show stays as good as it does.

Seriously.

Seriously.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

Seriously.

Seriously.

Because Timothy Olyphant is a sexy sexy man. You'll note this episode had him almost naked for a reason.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Seriously.

Seriously.

Because Timothy Olyphant is a sexy sexy man. You'll note this episode had him almost naked for a reason.

The women are all beautiful, too. 8-)

• Options
    Look we all tune in for Olyphant's sexy ok, they have hot women on the show so we can pretend we aren't gay for Raylen, but thats a damn lie like Boyd sleeping with Eva. We all know who he really wants to holla.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Finally got all caught up. Most recent episode was fantastic. High point for Raylan, two ludicrously hot women pining over him in one room. His fidelity is made of steel, first turning down the redhead and now Carla Gugino.

Bubba Gump/Chicago Wind is awesome. Really looking forward to more Buck Compton/Wynn Duffy. This is going to be the best season yet.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Oh my god that was a great episode.

McDonough is the greatest villian the series has had so far.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Raylan is so terrifying he no longer even needs to shoot petty criminals. They'd rather shoot themselves than be forced to wither in his presence.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    That was great. Three episodes in and they've got solid pieces in place everywhere. So many different ways it could go. Obviously most of them involving gunfire.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Holy shit fuck that last scene.
    The cameraphone bit was perfect.

I could just be coming down off a serious McDonough high, but that felt like about the best episode of the series thus far, and it feels like we're on an upward slope. It's at least about equal to any other episode, and it's not like it was a finale or anything.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Oh my god that was a great episode.

McDonough is the greatest villian the series has had so far.

So far it is not even a contest between him and Mykelti Williamson.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Martindale left some big shoes to fill. McDonough is, unsurprisingly, up to the task.

EDIT: Williamson would be great, and in fact is great, but the competition is just absurd.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Actually, shit, I think you might have been saying Williamson is better. I dunno, man. Different styles, hard to compare directly, I'm coming down on McDonough's side.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote:
    Actually, shit, I think you might have been saying Williamson is better. I dunno, man. Different styles, hard to compare directly, I'm coming down on McDonough's side.

No you were right the first time, I am saying that so far McDonough has been much more impressive.

• Options
    Ah, cool. Either way, your post made me stop for a second and appreciate the work Williamson is doing for the show.

I'll note that this is the first episode in...shit, probably since season one...that I have watched right when it aired (okay, so on a half-hour delay).

I chose...wisely.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    mcdermott wrote:

I could just be coming down off a serious McDonough high, but that felt like about the best episode of the series thus far, and it feels like we're on an upward slope. It's at least about equal to any other episode, and it's not like it was a finale or anything.

It was my favorite episode since Bulletville.

Hands down the best ending to any episode ever, though.

"I'm unarmed, officer."
    What makes McDonough more enthralling than Martindale for me are scenes like when he's talking to his son like the best father in the world, and then casually walks into that room with someone gagged up on the bed. Or when hes talking about how his dad showed him Taxi Driver as a kid instead of disney movies.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I except his rig to not be perfect in the end and the screwing to commence.

• Options
    Classic Wynn Duffy line: (:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmy7YaudI0w

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

"I'm unarmed, officer."
    What makes McDonough more enthralling than Martindale for me are scenes like when he's talking to his son like the best father in the world, and then casually walks into that room with someone gagged up on the bed. Or when hes talking about how his dad showed him Taxi Driver as a kid instead of disney movies.
    You know McDonough is a scary guy when he creeps out a psychopath like Wynn Duffy

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

"I'm unarmed, officer."
    You know McDonough is a scary guy when he creeps out a psychopath like Wynn Duffy

Exactly.

• Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:

Here's how I want it to go down:

He's playing innocent ("Officer, I am unarmed"), has his hands up, waiting for his moment to strike, when the rig just goes off on it's own, popping out of his sleeve like a jack-in-the-box.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I think the moment will be alot more satisfying if we get another "table cloth" solution to the wrist rig than having it malfunction on its own.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    I could just be coming down off a serious McDonough high, but that felt like about the best episode of the series thus far, and it feels like we're on an upward slope.

I'm glad you said that, I thought I was overreacting.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    fshavlak wrote:
    Xeddicus wrote:

Here's how I want it to go down:

He's playing innocent ("Officer, I am unarmed"), has his hands up, waiting for his moment to strike, when the rig just goes off on it's own, popping out of his sleeve like a jack-in-the-box.

I would probably laugh so hard, I'd wet myself.

Particularly because of the phone conversation with his kid, I think this was the first episode where I liked McDonough's character and didn't just like him because he was great in Band of Brothers. A guy in a suit with a gimmicky weapon and a devilish smile strikes me as more of a James Bond villain than a Justified villain. You aren't really a full-fledged main character on Justified until we've met at least one member of your family.

This was also the episode which laid the groundwork for the rest of the season in terms of who the players are and why they're on which sides:
    Boyd's crew wants to eschew outsider help and control every aspect of crime in Harlan County internally, while the Dixie Mafia folks want to turn Harlan County into the new epicenter for the Oxycontin trade on the East Coast. These two strategic goals being incompatible, Boyd Crowder is once again established as a rogue element that can help Raylan when their interests coincide. I'm still not entirely clear where the Lime House Gang is going to fit into the big picture ultimately

That's a gunfight I can't wait to watch.

SammyF on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But then he wouldn't end up getting shot himself, probably. It has to set off a gunfight at the least.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The writers have found the perfect pitch this season, after almost getting there last. This show is easily one of the best written on TV right now. Just so good and so lucky to have such great leads. I hope FX stands with it for a while.

• Options
    The writers have found the perfect pitch this season, after almost getting there last. This show is easily one of the best written on TV right now. Just so good and so lucky to have such great leads. I hope FX stands with it for a while.

I actually still like last season better, but this one is definitely starting to get really good and may eventually eclipse the other in my mind.

As far as FX sticking with it, I *think* it might help that FX changed its Tuesday lineup to lead in with an action movie like Transformers (they had some other action move last week, too). Previously, the lead in had been syndicated episodes of Two and a Half Men. Two and a Half Men : Justified :: Milk and Cookies : Scotch

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I wish they led with last week’s episode.

I haven’t missed one yet this season but inevitably something will come up, I’ll need to skip an episode and that’s it. I won’t watch it on FX anymore so I end up waiting for the dvd.

Plus this show is so damn good I wouldn’t mind watching it twice.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    "The next one's coming faster."

Fucking awesome episode.

I'm amused Raylan went from "Oh, this wound means I've lost my edge" to being indifferent to two dudes with guns in hand being in front of him arguing. All it took was shooting a man.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Fucking awesome episode.

I'm amused Raylan went from "Oh, this wound means I've lost my edge" to being indifferent to two dudes with guns in hand being in front of him arguing. All it took was shooting a man.

See,
    I was under the impression he was thinking, "He better not pull because I'd be kind of fucked," but he's still a badass, so he was doing that whole badass thing he does. I was actually worried that if he had to pull, he'd not only miss, but give the other guy the opportunity to fire. I don't think the damage from his wound is entirely mitigated yet.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Fucking awesome episode.

See,
    I was under the impression he was thinking, "He better not pull because I'd be kind of fucked," but he's still a badass, so he was doing that whole badass thing he does. I was actually worried that if he had to pull, he'd not only miss, but give the other guy the opportunity to fire. I don't think the damage from his wound is entirely mitigated yet.

Hmm....he orchestrated that entire set up though. If he wasn't feeling really up to it I would think he might have done things differently.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Fucking awesome episode.

See,

Hmm....he orchestrated that entire set up though. If he wasn't feeling really up to it I would think he might have done things differently.

True, he did, but I think he knew he was going to be able to talk the guy down.

Also, my friend was the real-tor at the beginning of the last episode 8)

• Options
    I'm not sure I'd say that he orchestrated it; he had no idea how many other guys were coming in addition to the boss.

Actually, it's the kind of stupid idea that could only work on TV now that I think about it. What was Raylan's endgame going to be if there had been three guys circling the house instead of just the one?

• Options
    The thought processes are thus:
    He knew how many people would be approaching. He had information from the jackhole who was attempting to kill him.

Using that information, he was able to psyche the Main Dude out, and his lackey. He was hoping to take all three in.

As it was, I don't think he expected to win a gunfight; I think he believed he would be able to reason with everyone - especially given that the hombre that ran the pawnshop was obviously taking orders from someone else.

He was given ample, ample information to plot his course of action, all things considered. The only time Raylan let's things get out of hand is when his emotions cloud the situation, like with Loretta. That got him shot. He's normally more cautious and thoughtful.

Of course, he's not invincible, no, but he's quick enough to be two steps ahead of folk who think they're quick on their feet.

This discussion has been closed.