As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    I didn't feel that way
    It felt like the whole ending fight thing and Ramona saying "You two make a good combo" it was like Scott learned something and he did. IT felt emotionally right to me that he was gonna stay with Knives. I still like that he went with Ramona because them walking into subspace together as they played Ramona was beautiful.
    It'd be different if he realized it himself, provided it happened early enough. If Ramona essentially tells him who he should be with, though, it makes him a little too passive for my taste, even if he takes it well and the new relationship isn't just a rebound after losing Ramona.

Plus, Knives accepting Scott back that easily would kind of negate the personal growth she showed when she told Scott to go after Ramona.
    I agree with this. I'll be very interested on the DVD to see if Knives really was the original ending, or if the early previews that had that ending were just show so as to not spoil the comic (which wasn't out at the time of those previews, I think.

The whole scene with Knives was perfect. She's grown up; there's closure in whatever relationship she and Scott had. It was a great ending.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the ending was fine, though a Knives ending was also a possibility. A twist Kim ending would have been aces though. :P

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought Kim was great, especially given how she didn't have as much screen time as Wallace or Knives. All her withering insults were perfect, as was the menacing stare at the party.

And not that it's important, but I thought she was cute.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    The MNS groaning happened when I went to see Inception, too. We were all watching this kind of "okay... what?" preview and it was all DIRECTED BY MNIGHTSHAMA-
    uuuggghhhaaahhahahhaahhaAHAHHAHAHAA

*clap. clap. clap. clap.*
    Didn't he just produce/write it?

I don't think he directed it.

Also, it bummed me out at the snickers in the theater...it looks like a great direct-to-DVD horror film.

It's gonna bomb in theaters.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I like really spare horror films like Cube which focus on a limited cast in a relatively bare setting as they descend into madness or whatever.

It also seems to me that Night's films get worse as they become more high-concept and ambitious, which leads me to believe that you might reverse the trend by taking him back to basics.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's some numbers you may be interested in.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/first-box-office-the-expendables-13m34m-eat-pray-love-8m23m-scott-pilgrim-5m12m/

Pilgrim not doing fantastically...

Jintor on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you really that surprised?

This film will be lucky to open at 3rd place against most 25+ year old males seeing Expendables and every 25+ woman seeing Eat Pray Love.

As much as I loved this movie, it was/is doomed for failure.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to do better than other niche films like Kick-Ass.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm just worried about how much they spent on advertising. I don't know that they should even have bothered.

Jintor on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh well, even if it isn't a success at the the box office there are other numbers to be proud about. Like the scores at rotten tomatoes.

Eat Pray Love- 38% Rotten
    The Expendables- 44% Rotten
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World- 79% Fresh

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Here's some numbers you may be interested in.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/first-box-office-the-expendables-13m34m-eat-pray-love-8m23m-scott-pilgrim-5m12m/

Pilgrim not doing fantastically...

Ugh, why did I read the comments? Why do I torture myself? :x

Anyway, yeah, I kind of expected this. It's making me really sad that some people aren't even willing to give this film a chance. I know movies are expensive these days but come on...

BigBear on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Part of the problem is it's not even opening at alot of places. I'm going to have to hastle my local theater tommorow.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought Kim was great, especially given how she didn't have as much screen time as Wallace or Knives. All her withering insults were perfect, as was the menacing stare at the party.

And not that it's important, but I thought she was cute.

Dude, Kim was delicious in this movie.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think word of mouth might help the film. There weren't a whole lot of people at my 7pm showing tonight--maybe 1/8 full? But general reaction seemed very positive.

The movie will likely be a cult classic and make up for the box office with DVD sales.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit, 90 million for Scott Pilgrim? God-damn!

Jintor on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw the movie. I loved it and and I love the change with the final two battles. My sister doesn't read comics, but she actually liked this movie (and I actually liked "Eat, Pray, Love" which is what she made me see).

It was weird, both movies dealt with similar themes, it's just that Scott Pilgrim did it in a more stylistic way that doesn't bother people.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would expect it to pick up over time.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mim wrote: »
    Saw the movie. I loved it and and I love the change with the final two battles. My sister doesn't read comics, but she actually liked this movie (and I actually liked "Eat, Pray, Love" which is what she made me see).

It was weird, both movies dealt with similar themes, it's just that Scott Pilgrim did it in a more stylistic way that doesn't bother people.

How does 'Eat, Pray, Love' bothers people?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I saw this movie just a few hours ago. There were only a few people in the theater. I liked it even if it did feel like they had a hard time getting certain needed plot points in without making the movie too long.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Basically because it's about how an entitled rich woman got richer, spiritually and monetarily.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One criticism:

Scott's band doesn't suck enough considering how often it's said that they do.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This movie is going to be fine in the long run.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, Internet commenters are not giving Cera enough credit. His Scott was not at all like the other characters he's done.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    One criticism:

Oz's band in Buffy had the same oddity. Oz would always talk about how lame they were, but they sounded fine.

Maybe they figured if they were really that bad, it would be more annoying to people when they kept having to listen to them?

Also, people, be more careful about Book Six and movie spoilers, k?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One criticism:

Maybe it's supposed to be ironic? It's just Stills who mainly frets about it.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One criticism:

Maybe it's supposed to be ironic? It's just Stills who mainly frets about it.

No, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to suck.

Ramona, Knives, and Neil all agree as well.

EDIT:

OMG, I'm listening to the sound track, and I'm So Sad, So Very, Very, Sad is on it and is still only like 5 seconds long.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woo, finished book 6 and now I'm ready for the movie in a few hours.

The whole thing was much more awesome than I expected from my initial glances at the books some time ago.

Is Lisa even in the movie? I don't see her name in the credits on IMDB, and that would make me a sad panda.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No Lisa.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The whole thing was much more awesome than I expected from my initial glances at the books some time ago.

Is Lisa even in the movie? I don't see her name in the credits on IMDB, and that would make me a sad panda.
    She is not in the movie. They had to cut it for time.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Basically because it's about how an entitled rich woman got richer, spiritually and monetarily.

That makes no sense.

Is this because I'm not as misogynist at the rest of the world?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I was listening to an interview of Edgar Wright and he said that he never planned to have Lisa in the movie. As well that before Book 4 came out, he was planning on combining Envy and Roxy into one person.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I was listening to an interview of Edgar Wright and he said that he never planned to have Lisa in the movie. As well that before Book 4 came out, he was planning on combining Envy and Roxy into one person.
    Well "cut for time" in this case meant "they never considered putting it in there"

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »

This film will be lucky to open at 3rd place against most 25+ year old males seeing Expendables and every 25+ woman seeing Eat Pray Love.

Actually yes.

The marketing push for this was massive. Almost biblical.

Why it hasn't done better really is a bit of a mystery.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DVG wrote: »
    Man, Internet commenters are not giving Cera enough credit. His Scott was not at all like the other characters he's done.

he tried really hard, I'll give him that. I didn't like him very much at all but it could have been worse...much much worse

Guek on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Actually yes.

The marketing push for this was massive. Almost biblical.

It's been out for less than 24 hours. Like I said, word of mouth will help this film.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Theater was almost empty.

Movie did the comedy good when it took lines from the book but was not that funny otherwise. Cast was mostly extremely good except Knives who nearly killed every scene she was in. Did not enjoy her at all. Cera did a really good job.

Action was very well done.

The movie was better at the start than at the end. After the Todd fight it went downhill.

Would see it again but not at full price.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, basically. "Oh, she's White, middle class and she's unhappy? Pfft, like she has problems". If someone left that bullshit at the door and actually just watched the film and learned "Hey, everyone is unhappy sometimes no matter their position in life", they'd actually enjoy the film. And it's a lot of feminists ragging on it.

Fuck it, my multiracial, broke as hell living with her parents ass got something from the film.

Mim on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

No it isn't. The cast doesn't have anyone that draws. Michael Cera has killed any draw he had with shit like Year One.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just saw this and loved the hell out of it. Definitely going to watch it again soon.

Much like the books, the movie starts out slow, but about 1/3 of the way in it just becomes so incredible and never quits. Michael Cera never becomes my vision of Scott Pilgrim, but he plays the character in the film well and I have no regrets about his casting.

Best part of the movie
    "Yeah, I saw the movie and the comics are way better."

I was the only one that laughed.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just saw this, liked it. I kinda liked Michael Cera as Scott. He made the role his own, which is probably better than just trying to copy the comics word for word. I thought the first ex was pretty groan-inducing though.

Smurph on