As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Media and Gaming or: How G4 is a Monumental Failure

124»

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I suspect I was the only person who liked Judgement Day on G4/whatever they called themselves then when it shared the channel with X-Play.

Mostly because if I'm going to watch a show about a video game review (or, conversely, a peripheral review or something similar), I want a degree of complexity that a five-star grading system kind of lacks. Also, I don't want to watch 10 minutes of skits involving interns dressed as characters from the Zelda games.

Two goofy dudes who don't agree on things chatting in a brightly lit environment will suffice.
    I actually really enjoyed Judgement Day. Yeah Tommy Tallarico is kind of a douche but the other guy made up for it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll say this, I don't mind that G4 has shows like Ninja Warrior or Unbeatable Banzuke, those are both fun to watch.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vic was also kind of an idiot

He gave a pretty glowing preview of Drake of the 99 Dragons, one of the worst games ever

Like, I don't understand what the thought process was there, the game looked awful

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I suspect I was the only person who liked Judgement Day on G4/whatever they called themselves then when it shared the channel with X-Play.

Mostly because if I'm going to watch a show about a video game review (or, conversely, a peripheral review or something similar), I want a degree of complexity that a five-star grading system kind of lacks. Also, I don't want to watch 10 minutes of skits involving interns dressed as characters from the Zelda games.

Two goofy dudes who don't agree on things chatting in a brightly lit environment will suffice.
    I actually really enjoyed Judgement Day. Yeah Tommy Tallarico is kind of a douche but the other guy made up for it.
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Vic was also kind of an idiot

He gave a pretty glowing preview of Drake of the 99 Dragons, one of the worst games ever

Like, I don't understand what the thought process was there, the game looked awful

I can't argue contrary...but the thing was, from what I saw of X-Play, both Adam and Morgan struck as being, overall, pretty stupid. Okay, really stupid. Not by choice, but in practice.

And then add approximately one dozen stupid interns. I don't think it'd be fair to entirely blame them for it, but God knows there was an incredible ratio of stupid to "actual meaningful thought" on that show. 9:1, really. Just...so much stupid.

At least in Judgment Day you only got two stupid people, and neither of them did skits. And to be fair, I can think of a handful of times when X-Play (or really, any reviewing medium) gave a bonehead review. But again, this is just how I saw it, and I'm coming from the standpoint that, in the end of the day, nothing is worse than skits by interns.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    X-Play had some funny bits for a while

Until it just became "hay Adam is awkward looking and Morgan is hot and interns are our slaves" and that was the extent of their jokes and then I stopped watching

I think it was clear that someone on their staff was funny, but they probably either left and got a better job elsewhere or got fired because the bigwigs at G4 were/are retarded monkeys flinging shit against a wall

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Funny, sure. On occasion. But at a painful, disproportionate cost of stupidity. That much was abundantly clear.

It wasn't always that way, though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like Attack of the show. The problem with serious gamer journalism is that it's really such a niche market, and when you think about the costs of operating a cable network that on most plans you have to pay extra for, you need to get some people that aren't huge gamers.

Because the people that are gamers have computers. And they have TVs. So, that's two places they could be actually playing video games instead of watching TV, with ads, about them.

Profit is the bottom line.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At the same time, though, nerds have proven time and again that they will watch anything involving video games

People will watch stuff about games, listen to other people talk about games, even just watch other people play games and talk about them instead of playing them themselves

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At the same time, though, nerds have proven time and again that they will watch anything involving video games

People will watch stuff about games, listen to other people talk about games, even just watch other people play games and talk about them instead of playing them themselves

The problem is, there aren't enough of those kinds of nerds to keep a game-oriented network afloat, apparently.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    X-Play had some funny bits for a while

Until it just became "hay Adam is awkward looking and Morgan is hot and interns are our slaves" and that was the extent of their jokes and then I stopped watching

I think it was clear that someone on their staff was funny, but they probably either left and got a better job elsewhere or got fired because the bigwigs at G4 were/are retarded monkeys flinging shit against a wall

Well, I think they've stopped that now that Adam (I forget if Morgan is or not) became one of the producers on the show.

You also see a lot more of the staff now, it seems, instead of the "It's just Adam and Morgan, yep yep! Listen to their reviews! *Adam and/or Morgan read the reviews that other staff members wrote*" stuff that it used to be

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Also, competitive gaming is usually damn boring to watch. Specially fighting games.

Melee.

That is all.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know somehow Chris Hardwick's interview with the lead actress from Chuck was goddamn art.

Then Alison Haislip danced on a stripper pole because SHE KNOWS THE AUDIENCE G4 WANTS.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gatsuioki wrote: »
    Also, competitive gaming is usually damn boring to watch. Specially fighting games.

Melee.

That is all.

Still pretty boring, especially when all the items are turned off.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    weird

i always thought attack of the show and x-play were the only reasons to ever even watch G4

not the worst parts about it

huh

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    weird

i always thought attack of the show and x-play were the only reasons to ever even watch G4

huh

No the worst part is the International Sexy Ladies show.

Definitively.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i don't even know what that is

but judging by the name imma agree with you there

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    weird

huh

No the worst part is the International Sexy Ladies show.

Definitively.

Oh my dear lord.

http://g4tv.com/Sexyladies/

The description for this thing is here:

http://g4tv.com/sexyladies/downlow.html

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Melee.

That is all.

:|

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Melee.

That is all.

:|

What? Flashy random things would make it more fun to watch.

Besides, I know golf takes a huge amount of skill, but watching it puts me in a coma.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's the problem with watching people play games.

I'd rather play the damn thing myself. Unless it's a super technical game like say Hearts of Iron then I'll take a let's play over playing it myself because I really don't goddamn care about shifting my industry and consumer goods to maximize production output of pew pew.

Kagera on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know somehow Chris Hardwick's interview with the lead actress from Chuck was goddamn art.

Then Alison Haislip danced on a stripper pole because SHE KNOWS THE AUDIENCE G4 WANTS.

By art you mean horribly awkward because he saw a pretty lady and went all Frick?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

By art you mean horribly awkward because he saw a pretty lady and went all Frick?

I thought he was doing performance art actually.

Kagera on