Options

Modern Warfare 2: More like 'Finite Ward', am I right?

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just don't think it makes sense for a soldier to take three magazines into battle.
    Ahhh, I see the problem here. You're laboring under the assumption that this is real life, and/or that this game in some way conforms to real life experiences. Please check that you're still playing a game, and that you're not actually being shot at by Rangers, Militia, OpFor, or the Spetsnaz.

You're right, it's just a game. I shouldn't have any expectations of stuff relating to modern warfare. Contemporary conflicts. That would be silly.

I should just play as Italian plumbers and hop around on giant killer mushrooms and sliding down fucking green pipes all down. Cause it's just a game, right? Anything goes! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

...right, but when you are complaining about a multiplayer experience whose objective is to allow you to have fun within the already defined rulesets of the game (modern tactical combat), but in a balanced manner -- for example, magazine limits

i don't understand the problem here -- if you run out of bullets, find a gun lying on the floor! that's realistic!

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just don't think it makes sense for a soldier to take three magazines into battle.
    Ahhh, I see the problem here. You're laboring under the assumption that this is real life, and/or that this game in some way conforms to real life experiences. Please check that you're still playing a game, and that you're not actually being shot at by Rangers, Militia, OpFor, or the Spetsnaz.

You're right, it's just a game. I shouldn't have any expectations of stuff relating to modern warfare. Contemporary conflicts. That would be silly.

I should just play as Italian plumbers and hop around on giant killer mushrooms and sliding down fucking green pipes all down. Cause it's just a game, right? Anything goes! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    :lol: Is someone upset? 'Cause you sound upset, my friend. Perhaps you should get those panties out of that twist and take a quick breather.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ...right, but when you are complaining about a multiplayer experience whose objective is to allow you to have fun within the already defined rulesets of the game (modern tactical combat), but in a balanced manner -- for example, magazine limits

i don't understand the problem here -- if you run out of bullets, find a gun lying on the floor! that's realistic!

That's always a bit risky in real life, since you're picking up a tango's weapon and who knows how they've been maintaining their weapons. You might just pick it up and have it jam on you when you try to fire it. That's why the first couple Rainbow Six games didn't allow you to pick up weapons from dead bodies.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

:lol: Is someone upset? 'Cause you sound upset, my friend. Perhaps you should get those panties out of that twist and take a quick breather.

I just find your argument kinda silly and retarded. And lazy. And I've heard it before many times. That's all, duder. That's all.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I just find your argument kinda silly and retarded. And lazy. And I've heard it before many times. That's all, duder. That's all.

Did you know that the Barrett is actually a 50 cal round and it weighs 30 pounds? Yet you move faster when carrying it than you do carrying a M16? What is funny about you is that there are SO MANY things in this game that make no sense, you just choose to care about a select few and get upset when nobody else cares.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Did you know that the Barrett is actually a 50 cal round and it weighs 30 pounds? Yet you move faster when carrying it than you do carrying a M16? What is funny about you is that there are SO MANY things in this game that make no sense, you just choose to care about a select few and get upset when nobody else cares.

Well, I've never actually used a Barrett so yea... I didn't know about that. But you're right, that doesn't make any sense. You are absolutely correct. I am with you, friend. That is really dumb and uh... well, Infinity Ward is a silly goose. A goose that's now withering away.

And really, it's not that I get upset when nobody else cares. I don't really care if other people care. Everyone has their own care threshold. But when someone tells me to my face that I shouldn't care either, well... that does upset me. Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't care about. I'll care about my stuff, and you can care about yours.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well, I've never actually used a Barrett so yea... I didn't know about that. But you're right, that doesn't make any sense. You are absolutely correct. I am with you, friend. That is really dumb and uh... well, Infinity Ward is a silly goose. A goose that's now withering away.

Man they are so silly for not providing a realistic simulation when it isn't advertised as such!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Man they are so silly for not providing a realistic simulation when it isn't advertised as such!

Well, when they call their game "Modern Warfare" they should probably deliver on that promise. That, to me, is the advertisement of such. If you don't want to deal in that sort of arena, then just go and make an Unreal Tournament or something.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So you'll have everyone respawn, require 3 or 4 bursts to kill a guy on Normal, and then limit us to three magazines.

You must be playing a different game than me. Every burst weapon has the capacity to kill in one burst. If you hit someone with 1 bullet from each burst on a silenced, non-stopping power burst weapon, they will die in 4 bursts. So, I guess, don't aim at people's feet, is what I am getting at.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well, when they call their game "Modern Warfare" they should probably deliver on that promise. That, to me, is the advertisement of such. If you don't want to deal in that sort of arena, then just go and make an Unreal Tournament or something.

So, you are saying it is your fault for expecting something different from what was advertised, because you just read the name and didn't see any of the actual advertisements, or the previous game that was titled in the same manner, but was almost identicle to your complaints?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So you'll have everyone respawn, require 3 or 4 bursts to kill a guy on Normal, and then limit us to three magazines.

You must be playing a different game than me. Every burst weapon has the capacity to kill in one burst. If you hit someone with 1 bullet from each burst on a silenced, non-stopping power burst weapon, they will die in 4 bursts. So, I guess, don't aim at people's feet, is what I am getting at.

I'm talking about a burst coming from the pull of a trigger. Not actual burst fire guns like the M16A4 or FAMAS.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm talking about a burst coming from the pull of a trigger. Not actual burst fire guns like the M16A4 or FAMAS.

Most guns kill in 3 to 4 bullets. If you can't hit 3 to 4 bullets in less than 3 or 4 bursts, you should try aiming.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

So, you are saying it is your fault for expecting something different from what was advertised, because you just read the name and didn't see any of the actual advertisements, or the previous game that was titled in the same manner, but was almost identicle to your complaints?

I mean, fuck, the teaser trailer showed the ISS being nuked. And you want realistic combat in a sequal to a game that did not have realistic combat?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Most guns kill in 3 to 4 bullets. If you can't hit 3 to 4 bullets in less than 3 or 4 bursts, you should try aiming.

So it's more like 2 or 3 bursts. Okay, fine, whatever. I generally only play Hardcore mode, so I guess my estimate was off.

The main point is, it takes a lot more bullets to kill a guy on Normal then on Hardcore.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I mean, fuck, the teaser trailer showed the ISS being nuked. And you want realistic combat in a sequal to a game that did not have realistic combat?

Um, I really wanted realistic combat in both games, actually. Infinity Ward just... kinda let me down both times. Though I will say, while I found CoD 4 to be pretty terrible, MW2 had a few ancillary improvements that I really enjoyed. There was some really cool stuff happening in the campaign that I dug, and which I hadn't experienced in other tactical sims. So that was nice.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, you are disappointed in Infinity Ward for making a sequel to a game that disappointed you.

Point made.

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, you are disappointed in Infinity Ward for making a sequel to a game that disappointed you.

Point made.

Sequels can dramatically improve from their predecessors though. Just as an example, there are tons of people who hated Mass Effect but now love Mass Effect 2.

There's always redemption, man.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is such a sad argument.

"This game is so unrealistic!"

"I only get 90 rounds? I get 300 in singleplayer!"

Just so you know, the Call of Duty franchise has been well established as an arcade style shooter with realistic appearances. If you don't like that then I don't know why you keep buying these games. I've never bought a Battlefield game because I know what the game is like and I prefer CoD. And because of that, I've never been disappointed or found a need to complain about Battlefield.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Though it does annoy me that I can shoot a guy in the chest with a shotgun and not kill him, but if he knifes me in the shoulder I die immediately. Even with painkiller.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People still play this?

I wish more people would go back to CoD4...hardcore was actually fun.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fool me...

Ya can't get fooled again.

Fixed.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I discovered I'm a lot better at softcore so I've been sticking with that.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fool me...

Fixed.

I was totally going to do that but I wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I discovered I'm a lot better at softcore so I've been sticking with that.

I had to settle with normal modes because I just got too fucking impatient with "campcore" and team deathmatch games that didn't finish over 2000.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, same. Hardcore is just too slow for me to enjoy.

Though I do hate unloading a entire magazine into a guy only to be killed in a single(non-headshot) burst.

But that is lag more than anything.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Fool me...

Fixed.

I was totally going to do that but I wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference.

You mean the song that was made popular again by Rock Band? Yeah, no one would have gotten it.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fool me...

Fixed.

You mean the song that was made popular again by Rock Band? Yeah, no one would have gotten it.

I was actually referring to George Bush... No idea what song you're talking about. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fool me...

Fixed.

I was actually referring to George Bush... No idea what song you're talking about. :P

The Who- Won't Get Fooled Again

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah, should've assumed it was The Who.

So I'm not crazy, this is what I thought he was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM

urahonky on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Um, I really wanted realistic combat in both games, actually. Infinity Ward just... kinda let me down both times. Though I will say, while I found CoD 4 to be pretty terrible, MW2 had a few ancillary improvements that I really enjoyed. There was some really cool stuff happening in the campaign that I dug, and which I hadn't experienced in other tactical sims. So that was nice.

Do you really want us to start naming the ways this game differs from real-life? Because I'm not use there's enough internet to hold all that.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It IS modern Warfare. The guns are almost what they could use right now. You have to understand that CoD4 was one of the first big name shooters to be in the present day on the console. No, I don't count CS. Fuck that game.

Before MW1 there were, oh, I don't know, 6 bajillion WW2 shooters. Say what you want, but CoD4 was awesomely different than other shooters that came out. Can I envision a MW2 without all the stuff I consider flaws? Sure. But that doesn't mean the core gameplay mechanics aren't satisfying at times, or fun.

Ask Scatman: Sure the game makes you want to break a headset or controller, but when it works (2 AC130/matchlolwhut?) it's just so.... filling. Saying you don't like perks is like saying you don't like classes in BC2. It's what makes the game different. Otherwise go play doom or Unreal tournament.

Anyways, I haven't seen you posting before, but I maybe just missed your avatar. Welcome to MW2, the line to start bitching about things starts over there. Here's a number and a burrito. It'll be a while.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    @Honky: G-Dub's fiasco there was what I was referring too. Glad someone got it. :)

[ed] Wait. There's burritos? Sweet!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If they made a modern type FPS to be exactly like real-life, then it would be pretty horrible. I can only imagine the sway you'll deal with if you are aiming down the sight. There would be no instant kill knifing(the only good thing if they made it real life). If someone drops a nuke your xbox live account is canceled due to radiation poison. You have to wait until some guy in the oval office approves your harriers/stealth bombers/airstrikes before you can call them in. If you want care packages you have to run back to a safe LZ because no chopper is gonna risk there ass for some grunt on the ground. Finally, every shotgun will become the pre-nerf 1887's since it's real life.

Sounds fun.
    Or you can play BC2 and use magic paddles.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I've said it forever and I'll say it again.

Hardcore is for people who can't fucking aim and have to rely on spraying since you only have to hit them once.

Since Reach is down, anyone for some MW2?

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i got a riot shield game winning kill today, which was also my 15th riot shield kill. I felt pretty badass.

So now im sporting the riot shield game winning kill title and the double headshot emblem, so people are all: "wait, is he a sniper or a riot shielder?"

they totally dont even know that
    i generally do neither

and in response to the whole argument about hardcore/softcore that went on for two pages:
    vidjogaymes!

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

nothing says modern like 130 year old guns, and nothing says tactical combat like running around at the speed of light with a knife during a firefight!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Hardcore is for people who can't fucking aim and have to rely on spraying since you only have to hit them once.

Funny I never see anyone spraying in hardcore. I see people getting shot with one bullet. Accuracy is way more important if when you miss the first shot, you get killed by theirs.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    @Honky: G-Dub's fiasco there was what I was referring too. Glad someone got it. :)

[ed] Wait. There's burritos? Sweet!

I got it too, I was just spelling out the other thing someone else thought you were talking about.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »

Funny I never see anyone spraying in hardcore. I see people getting shot with one bullet. Accuracy is way more important if when you miss the first shot, you get killed by theirs.

Except when you miss your first shot they have no idea anyone is even shooting at them meaning you can spray all the fuck you want.

Burtletoy on