As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleep is Death

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's really complicated at first. I just played a game with my brother and had trouble getting things done in time, even with my prepared stuff.

I also didn't know how to end the game, so I disconnected.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, you should probably change your timer to 60 seconds when you're starting out. Just made an awesome room and an awesome song.

Also, we should get some games together :>

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still busy tinkering with the editor. I have a feeling that the early learning curve is going to suck, but when you get used to doing object and sprite manipulation on the fly it'll be quite smooth.

Entriech on
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So wish I would have just pre-ordered. Damn my indecisiveness.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this is very interesting. it reminds me of many game-making programs, but i'm not sure how it will be possible to adjust quickly on the fly - pixel art, even simple stuff, is very time consuming.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    this is very interesting. it reminds me of many game-making programs, but i'm not sure how it will be possible to adjust quickly on the fly - pixel art, even simple stuff, is very time consuming.
    I think the key is to ensure your objects are made up of lots of individual sprites, or you have lots on hand. Like, if you've got a bunch of minor modification sprites, its really easy to just paint over the object on the fly.

The other thing to remember is that you're only going to have to say, respond to one action at a time, so maybe at most one or two sprite modifies, and that's an extreme case.

Entriech on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone wants to try out their stories on someone, I'm willing to be a playa, just PM me your IP address and I'll join.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just had my first session as a controller...and it all went to hilarious shit. I'm waiting for my buddy to get a hang of the controller stuff so I can be a player.

Like it's been said, the learning curve is going to be steep (hopefully the tutorial video comes soon), but once we get a hang of it, it'll be crazy...

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Still trying to wrap my head around this without any kind of manual or anything. I'm not complaining, I actually enjoy this sort of thing, especially considering they are throwing up a video tutorial soon. Once I get somewhat fluent with this thing I'll probably throw a little something together just to see how it works in practice.

edit: His Primrose game is a pretty addictive little puzzle game. Simple to pick up, nice mechanics, pleasing aesthetics and online scoreboards. It's free too. Just thought I'd add that.

Drake on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just finished my first game :D

http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=49

We really need to get coordinated and stuff. I've been hanging out on the Sleep is Death (SiD) Steam community chat room and that seems to be working well. You guys should totally come chill.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

We really need to get coordinated and stuff. I've been hanging out on the Sleep is Death (SiD) Steam community chat room and that seems to be working well. You guys should totally come chill.

Hahaha, it was brief but hilarious.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That was awesome. I see good times ahead.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Good example of how the tone can be kept light, and very different from the write-ups I've read.

Entriech on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in on this. Shame he couldn't have written a manual for the software before he released it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raw flipbook file Warning: silliness ahead.

My brother hosting, me as player. Two minute timers. This was his first time hosting; I'm damn impressed. Only sprites he had beforehand was the city scene at the end (I drew it for another game) and the player sprite.

If you have connection problems - I can't seem to port forward through a shared connection properly to host - try Hamachi, a simple little gamer's VPN.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

"oh nooooooooo"

:lol:

Man. I have no idea how to make this thing work its magic. It can't be all that hard, but there's certainly a curve here. Can't wait until I've got my head around it.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I'm missing something...how do you adjust the timers?

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mr weenis wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something...how do you adjust the timers?

In the "settings" directory off the game's home folder, there are lots of little INI files. They control, weirdly enough, one setting each. "timeLimit.ini" is the timer, in seconds. I don't know if the player has to set it or the server, or if it sets the timer individually for each.

You can also change the resolution there, but don't get TOO excited: it upscales the graphics, so you won't notice anything at first. It does, however, mean that if you run it through Steam, you can chat with the other player using the overlay without it looking all weird and low-res.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Edit the value in the timelimit.ini in the settings folder. The number represents the seconds for each turn. So for a minute turn you would change it to 60.

edit: Beat'd

Drake on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mwoody wrote: »

My brother hosting, me as player. Two minute timers. This was his first time hosting; I'm damn impressed. Only sprites he had beforehand was the city scene at the end (I drew it for another game) and the player sprite.

If you have connection problems - I can't seem to port forward through a shared connection properly to host - try Hamachi, a simple little gamer's VPN.

Hehe. That was pretty cute.

Man, I haven't let out my inner Dungeon Master in about six years now and this game has a nasty pull on me. The only things preventing a buy are my obscene exam workload and the fact that my friends would either refuse to play or do their best to break my stories.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    These are pretty funny, actually.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm starting to see how this works.

I think.

Well, I made a little green space man with an editor. It was surprisingly easy. And the music editor is an awesome little diatonic piano roll. Fun for all.

Once I figure out how building and saving a scene works, it's going to be on. Most seriously.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Has anyone else noticed some weirdness with the dialogue bubble tool, for both client and server? Sometimes you can't input text as the server, and sometimes the player gets stuck with a box instead of a bubble with no way to change it.

mwoody on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mwoody wrote: »

Oh shit, that was awesome. I am SO up for being a player sometime, if anybody wants to test their controllering with a patient player. Visti_[pa] in the sidtube IRC.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Electric Stove"

Bahahaha.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm still practicing a bit with the Controller mode. Once I get the flow of creating and accessing scenes and objects down, I'll venture into trying to Control a real game.

I was up all night messing with the editors. The object system works like a cross between lego and paper dolls. You can use any sprite as a template to create new sprites for new objects or you can whip stuff up from scratch in the editors, which are functional, accessible and intuitive. This really is something else.

My only criticism is the installer is retarded. Just unpacking to what ever folder the package is sitting in at the time of installation? Really? It wasn't a huge deal to me, but the guy I shared the game with almost installed it in his browser folder. He caught that, specified a custom directory, and then it did some kind of crazy shit to his Start menu, creating an all new group, named Programs, and copying all of his Start menu groups over. So yeah, be aware of that if you tend to click your way through installations. It didn't do anything with my start menu though. I'm on XP and he's on Win 7, so maybe that's a Win 7 thing?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm still practicing a bit with the Controller mode. Once I get the flow of creating and accessing scenes and objects down, I'll venture into trying to Control a real game.

I was up all night messing with the editors. The object system works like a cross between lego and paper dolls. You can use any sprite as a template to create new sprites for new objects or you can whip stuff up from scratch in the editors, which are functional, accessible and intuitive. This really is something else.

My only criticism is the installer is retarded. Just unpacking to what ever folder the package is sitting in at the time of installation? Really? It wasn't a huge deal to me, but the guy I shared the game with almost installed it in his browser folder. He caught that, specified a custom directory, and then it did some kind of crazy shit to his Start menu, creating an all new group, named Programs, and copying all of his Start menu groups over. So yeah, be aware of that if you tend to click your way through installations. It didn't do anything with my start menu though. I'm on XP and he's on Win 7, so maybe that's a Win 7 thing?

Well, I don't think it actually installs to the registry, so you should be able to move it wherever. It worked for me.

Also, I'm getting a bunch of assets together for tonight for when I play with my friend. I'm hoping to run a splinter cell story, since it seemed like a fun thing to do. Then we'll probably dick around for a bit.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well, I don't think it actually installs to the registry, so you should be able to move it wherever. It worked for me.

Also, I'm getting a bunch of assets together for tonight for when I play with my friend. I'm hoping to run a splinter cell story, since it seemed like a fun thing to do. Then we'll probably dick around for a bit.

Yeah, I let the installer just dump the folder on my desktop. I moved it and it works fine. I mentioned that in my reply to him. I just wonder, why use the fancy installer if you aren't going to configure it? Kinda sloppy. But whatever, it's a minor issue. I'm digging what I'm seeing so far. I've got In-Laws in town this weekend though, so I can't really dig into like I want.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, this game is intense playing as the controller. I'm definitely glad I upped my turn time to 60 seconds.

Entriech on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish I could actually play the game. My friend and I have been unable to host or join our games. When trying to open a port, it always fails. It says this even if I have the game set to use a specific port with that port open. It also displays the wrong IP. Hamachi didn't even work, either.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I wish I could actually play the game. My friend and I have been unable to host or join our games. When trying to open a port, it always fails. It says this even if I have the game set to use a specific port with that port open. It also displays the wrong IP. Hamachi didn't even work, either.

I have this same problem, anytime I try to host a game, it just crashes with no message at all, I haven't tried to join a game, so I don't know if I'd have any trouble there.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That sucks, I'm not sure what the issue would be. I know I did have to go into Win7s net config to ensure the program had full access to the local and internet. I also configured it to run in administrator mode, because that never hurts.

If you want to test on your own, http://sidtube.com/conncheck/ will read your IP and attempt to connect to your game upon clicking a button.

Edit: Also, this is priceless. http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=194

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If the port is actually open, you can just host a local game and use your external ip.

Also, just finished a game with my friend. Wasn't able to load everything in time once, but other than that, it worked pretty well. Gotta get some more rooms made, though.

http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=208

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    That sucks, I'm not sure what the issue would be. I know I did have to go into Win7s net config to ensure the program had full access to the local and internet. I also configured it to run in administrator mode, because that never hurts.

If you want to test on your own, http://sidtube.com/conncheck/ will read your IP and attempt to connect to your game upon clicking a button.

Edit: Also, this is priceless. http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=194

More games need "fuck it, you're a dragon!"

All games need "fuck it, you're a dragon!"

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I want to see more from this guy. He's awesome.

http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=206

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes! Tutorials videos. Gonna watch these later. I still haven't sorted out my connection problems, which really, really sucks. Any one else having problems hosting? I'm on a Linux machine behind a dd-wrt router.

edit: had a fairly excellent pub game:
    http://thecardchest.com/sid/viewStory.php?storyID=265

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I've noticed this button; Save to Resource Pack. Sounds titillating, anyone know what the fuck it does?

If I get it figured out before anyone else answers I'll put my findings here.

I'm having fun with editors in the mean time. I think I'm going to be building a bunch of primitive looking custom weirdness.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't know, but I think it's for packaging up sprites and scenes, which you can then distribute, so that others can use your resources. I heard talk on the IRC about making a website for uploading resources, so there'd be a lot of stuff to use in games, rather than just the stuff from games you've played.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I've noticed this button; Save to Resource Pack. Sounds titillating, anyone know what the fuck it does?

If I get it figured out before anyone else answers I'll put my findings here.

I'm having fun with editors in the mean time. I think I'm going to be building a bunch of primitive looking custom weirdness.

In the editor is an add scene to resource pack, this adds the current scene to a potential resource pack. When you're done adding hit the "save accumulated resource pack" button (these are the two small buttons above the box that lists scenes). This creates a numbered file in the resource packs folder of the game.
    Other people can take this file and put it in the loadingBay folder of the game. When they next run the game all the scenes in the resource pack is added to their version.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png