Options

LittleBigPlanet2: Out Now! Go buy it!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    alright folks someone help me with this brain buster

I'm working on this mario sackbot's ability to jump. Sackboy can jump like, the height of his body. Mario jumps five times the height of his body. so unless I wanna get all fiddly with the gravity I gotta use movers to make his jumping mechanics from scratch.

Here's what I have so far. I'm sure I will completely fail to explain this in a way that anybody can actually understand.

The circuit starts with an AND switch. the two conditions is that he needs to be touching something, and that the player is pushing X. He needs to be touching something because otherwise, you could jump in mid-air. This AND switch starts a timer. This timer feeds into another AND switch. As long as the timer is running, the player is pushing X, and the player isn't pushing on the dpad, the sackbot moves upward. If you hold it down for the duration of the timer you go up five blocks in height.

The dpad thing is because this is for mario's standing jump. he jumps higher when he's running or walking, so running or walking will trigger a whole different mechanism that I haven't made yet.

Here's the actual problem. Like I said, it's important to make it so that you need to be in contact with something in order to jump, or otherwise you basically have infinite double-jumps. The problem, though, is that there's no way to discriminate between the "ground" and any other object. Walls, the ceiling, random things, anything sackbot touches, regardless of the angle, makes him able to jump. The upshot of this is that, in my attempt to get rid of double-jumping, I've added a shitty wall-jump.

How would I get rid of that? The best solution I can think of is a contact sensor on the ground itself, which does some stuff to trigger things in the sackbot. This solution has its own problems though.

For one it makes the whole thing not self-contained, which I don't like just because I don't like it.

For two, it's actually a really sloppy solution when you think about it. It works for the flat ground, but if you have, say, a floating platform, or a short all sticking out of the ground, then you've got the exact same problem. The only way to avoid it would be to make each object have a separate piece on the top side that doesn't quite reach the corners of the thing, because otherwise you could jump from the corner. This works but it's just sort of shitty, and what's worse could lead to frustration if someone hits the jump button just barely after reaching the corner of the object, and be denied the ability to jump.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    there doesn't seem to be as many sticker switches in the story this time

or I'm completely missing them/don't have the stickers yet

i loved those

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh my god Acing everything is going to be IMPOSSIBLE

level 3-3 is like fifteen minutes long and has a hundred deathtraps!!!

unintentional on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should go see what the trade in for LBP1 is to see if I can get this

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Just worked through all of the tutorials...exciting!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    by the way, if you Ace any boss from the story mode then the reward includes a sackboy outfit for that world's creator
    I can dress up like Larry Da Vinci and also Victoria and Clive and Eve

unintentional on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Going to. Ace. Everything.

Darric on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gonna run through the tutorials soon. Gonna make stuff

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    they did a really good job teaching about the logic stuff. I was worried that basically no one was gonna be able to understand it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also by soon I mean the next couple of days. I got class and haircut and photography and climbing today

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darric wrote: »

Going to. Ace. Everything.

I've done worlds one, two, and three, 80% of world four, and the first and last levels of world five

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    motherfucker there is ONE prize bubble in the tower of whoop that I just. can't. get.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ugh finally

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    unsurprisingly gary we are no longer number one on that world four level

in fact we are number 6,372

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah I figured it'd be something like that

I beat the boss of world...five? I think? without dying, and it said I was tied for 28th place
    and the one next to 28th place was 6,587th.

over six thousand people got the same score as me :O

unintentional on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty common with the boss levels.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    welp

bought this

PSN ID is Bill_Monroe for when I get done learning how to build things

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The grappling hook is.. tricky

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the grappling hook gets easier to use the more often you detach and re-grapple

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tis thread needs a player list in the op

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    my dude's name is showing up as Carl2315 or something right now and there don't seem to be options in my profile to change that other than to import a new one

of course I cannot yet open anything other than story mode (I've only beaten a few levels in the first area)

is this normal or did I fuck up and need to redo everything so far if I want to play as "MrMonroe" when I go online?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I really want to make some kind of Operation: Wolf clone but I'm not sure I have the skills.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DAG NABBIT

Turns out the PS3 signed me out after that system update right before I started playing, which was odd because I set my profile to "sign in automatically"

That is why I was seeing my name as "CarlNumbers"

And of course I cannot load data from the generic account to my Bill_Monroe account

So I'll have to play those first levels over again

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reading about this game has given me a massive content creation bug biting me in the ass

I so bad want to remake Gauntlet IV from the genesis right now, music and all

(fuck that game's music owned)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    fighters/brawlers seem like they'd be the hardest to do

you could definitely do them, but it'd require lots of programming and it'd be tricky to animate stuff to correspond to the moves

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    artreus that was both the most fun and the worst level of of LBP i've ever played

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyftcuE5p5Y&feature=related
    I love the soundtrack in this game so much

unintentional on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    Tis thread needs a player list in the op

I agree

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    artreus that was both the most fun and the worst level of of LBP i've ever played

I died so many times from being stupid. I have only played a few levels of the new one and hadnt played the old one in aaaages.

But the parts where you threw me to complete an objective, the part where I intentionally threw you into a pit and etc were fun parts.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dang it now I need to make a recreation of the LA River chase scene from Terminator 2

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    online scoreboards always make me feel totally worthless

"Congratulations! You have earned 17,562 points!"

"M1st3rA55Fu(k3r - 947,825 - 1st Place"

grief.jpg

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    basically

me and gary got first place on one of the story levels on the day the game came out, but now we're down in the six thousands

I'm a little bugged we didn't get a pin for nailing first!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I never even bother trying to get top score. I've got all of the score pins and I'm happy with that.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am not kidding, by the way

I literally got 17k in one of the side levels from the first chapter (area? world?) and then saw that the top of the leaderboard was closing on one million

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't surprise me if a good chunk of people on the top were finding some way to cheat

Artreus on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yup, definitely time to upgrade my ps3
    oh hello $50 amazon credit with purchase of a 120 GB version

in the mean time, no lbp2 for more than 5-10 minutes at a time it seems
    so probably no lbp2 at all until tuesday

natek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I probably need to be upgrading my 360 because disc drive is semi-broken but maaan. Having to buy an entirely new console because the drive is slightly mis-aligned is dumb.

Artreus on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my justification is my ps3 is four years old, big, loud, and hot
    a slim would be very nice

and I think it is silly that online it costs $307 with S&H but if I walked into a store I would be taxed and it would cost about $320

natek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh my god world six is impossible to ace

unintentional on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    welp, just picked this up and playing through solo. prolly won't do multi till i beat it once, but if you wanted to add me i would love you forever. psn is fenikuman

Houk the Namebringer on