As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!] Shadowrun 3rd PbP "Celtic Double-Cross"

• Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So we're going to keep running until we find some sort of get-away vehicle, yeah?
    I am tempted to just hang back in the trees and start chopping these bitches up once they get in melee range. I'm practically bullet-proof. :winky:

Although, now that the Phantasm is gone, the other group should be swinging around soon.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    BeerbabyBeerbaby Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm confused with how these additional passes work with averaged initiativ. Did Lumiere get two or more phases? 4+4d6 makes it pretty unlikely that she wouldn't.

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My mistake beerbaby you get three passes as well. Well, it's going to be just the same as normal init. Everyone goes on the first pass. You go, then the baddies. Then everyone with additional passes. Same order, runners then the baddies until everyone has gone through all their actions.
    Anyone of you may take one pass ( a free and two simple actions, or a complex, ) in any order until each of you has gone. At that point the Goons take their first init pass. After that happens those of you who rolled lucky or have enhanced initiatives will take their extra passes.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gritting his teeth, the old ork squints through the fog being lit up like a thundercloud by the munitions going off inside. Carefully, he squeezes off a quick double tap of his Predator.
    Simple Action: Single Shot with one pistol.
    Simple Action: Single Shot with one pistol.

Going to use a full six combat pool dice on this.

Base TN: 4
    -1 Target Stationary
    +2 Fog
    +2 Long Range
    TN: 7

12 Dice: 3,5,2,9,11,7,7,5,9,1,5,11. 6 Successes

If he doesn't fall from the first shot, I'll switch targets to the other one standing. Which should increase it another 2 TN?

Base TN: 4
    -1 Target Stationary
    +2 Fog
    +2 Long Range
    +1 Recoil
    TN: 8
    6 Dice: 9,4,1,4,2,8. 2 Successes or 0 Successes.

Combat Pool: 3/9
    Ammo Count: 11/15, 11/15

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who is your target, Valkun? B, C, or D?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    LockeJawLockeJaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh, wise and benevolent Rabbit of GMing, Regarding damage - as an alternative to Deadly Over-Damage, the description for Melee combat indicates that 2 extra successes can be used to increase the POWER of an attack once you've reached Deadly (p. 123 under Determine Damage example) So we'd go from 6D to 7D instead of 6D to 6D +1 box. Is that for melee only?

LockeJaw on
    "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ya, when I was dealing with that attack those same rulings came into mind. Originally that's exactly what I did. But, I decided to check the SR3 and I didn't find anything about scaling up the power of attacks regarding ranged combat. You can scale the damage (L,M,S,D) but unless I missed something you can't go from say 6m to 6d and then up to 7d.

Now, it hasn't come up yet in game so I haven't brushed up on the melee combat section, but that does seem to make more sense for melee than it does for ranged. Ranged shots are basically closed skill tests and melee are opposed tests (think of it like a contest, each person in melee going through a series of feints, blocks and strike until you catch your foe offgaurd.). Therefore, if you score a high amount of successes in game terms that means your dude is pulling out some serious bruce lee action and that's harder to deal with for the defender.

That said if you can find me a page in the SR3 that says otherwise I'll gladly allow that. I just took a second look and didn't see anything about scaling up Power for ranged attacks. I do see where it allows that for melee... I almost thought I had made that up when I found the similar Deadlier Over-Damage optional rule.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can we get a recap of what the status is so far? Re-reading the combat, it seems like we've all run from the building, but I am confused as to WHERE everyone is. Following Lumiere's plan, with a 27 move, Morgan is likely (looking at the Altan Grounds map) somewhere around the "n" in Altan at the end of the first combat round and possibly looking at a completely fresh squad of foes to the South... or have we gotten our East/West messed up somewhere along the line?

LockeJaw on
    "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who is your target, Valkun? B, C, or D?
    Whoops, "Goon D 1/10 Phys (Standing Still)". Same guy I was shooting at earlier I believe.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ya, when I was dealing with that attack those same rulings came into mind. Originally that's exactly what I did. But, I decided to check the SR3 and I didn't find anything about scaling up the power of attacks regarding ranged combat. You can scale the damage (L,M,S,D) but unless I missed something you can't go from say 6m to 6d and then up to 7d.

Now, it hasn't come up yet in game so I haven't brushed up on the melee combat section, but that does seem to make more sense for melee than it does for ranged. Ranged shots are basically closed skill tests and melee are opposed tests (think of it like a contest, each person in melee going through a series of feints, blocks and strike until you catch your foe offgaurd.). Therefore, if you score a high amount of successes in game terms that means your dude is pulling out some serious bruce lee action and that's harder to deal with for the defender.

That said if you can find me a page in the SR3 that says otherwise I'll gladly allow that. I just took a second look and didn't see anything about scaling up Power for ranged attacks. I do see where it allows that for melee... I almost thought I had made that up when I found the similar Deadlier Over-Damage optional rule.
    With the way they ordered the checks, there'd be no point to modifying the power. It's Attackers Successes vs Defender's Dodge + Body. Scaling comes after you find the difference between the two. Once it hits deadly, there's really no need to scale further.

The whole thing did sound familiar to me too though.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dumping combat pool to defend here.

8d6t2: 7 [8d6t2=6, 3, 1, 3, 5, 2, 2, 2]

Scales back to moderate damage. This combat armor isn't achieving as much as I expected but it's helping quite a bit.

The lightly injured goon in Cross's cross-hairs takes another pistol round. That was a kill shot absorbed mostly by his kevlar armor. Going to leave him a nice bruise though, probably broke a couple ribs too.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Come on, darling. Do not let me down," Alistair whispered under his breath, holding the Predator close.

Inhaling sharply, he stuck his head around the safety of the tree, glancing at the scene for a second before firing off another shot at one the wounded goons.
    Double-tap on Goon D there, since he didn't drop.
    Simple: Take Aim
    Simple: Semi-Auto

Base 6 (range), +2 fog, -1 Smart Goggles, -1 Take Aim, -1 target stationary = TN 5

First Shot (4 Combat dice): 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, 1, 5, 3, 3, 2; 3 successes

Will start moving next pass, unless something terrible starts happening

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dumping combat pool to defend here.

8d6t2: 7 [8d6t2=6, 3, 1, 3, 5, 2, 2, 2]

Scales bake to moderate damage. This combat armor isn't achieving as much as I expected but it's helping quite a bit.

The lightly injured goon in Cross's cross-hairs takes another pistol round. That was a kill shot absorbed mostly by his kevlar armor. Going to leave him a nice bruise though, probably broke a couple ribs too.
    What about the second shot? Unless I'm missing something, I scored two successes on that one. Edit: Whoops, I just realize I made an error in my statement. That should be if he DOES fall from the first shot, I'd like to switch targets.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    3d6t2: 2 [3d6t2=5, 6, 1] Goon D takes another Moderate wound from Cross. That puts him just past serious.

Goon B 6/10 Stun (Standing Still)

Goon C 1/10 Stun 3/10 Phys (Laying Prone)

Goon D 7/10 Phys (Standing Still)

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    LockeJaw wrote: »
    Can we get a recap of what the status is so far? Re-reading the combat, it seems like we've all run from the building, but I am confused as to WHERE everyone is. Following Lumiere's plan, with a 27 move, Morgan is likely (looking at the Altan Grounds map) somewhere around the "n" in Altan at the end of the first combat round and possibly looking at a completely fresh squad of foes to the South... or have we gotten our East/West messed up somewhere along the line?
    Sure. As it is right now I'm being pretty relaxed about the range between targets. Long range is appropriate enough for the circunmstances. Medium for sawbones and his uzi. Everyone prettyu much said they ran to the woods. The nearest bit of woods is straight north, and also the first direction from lumiere's plan, so I assume you all run north. Any more movement north and you will start to get into very long range for pistols.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Draw on holy might, when firing in SA mode each shot requires a simple action. For purposes of progression lets assume that you take aim and fire as your actions dictate.

3d6t2: 1 [3d6t2=3, 1, 1]

Another one bites the dust.

Alistair lines up the armored goon who is soaking up all this lead. Looks like this one will be enough to put him down. The chest plate on that goon's armor caves inward under the force of the predator's bullet. He staggers then crumples face first in the mud.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Draw on holy might, when firing in SA mode each shot requires a simple action. For purposes of progression lets assume that you take aim and fire as your actions dictate.

3d6t2: 1 [3d6t2=3, 1, 1]

Another one bites the dust.
    Shit, that's my fault. I knew I forgot to edit something out.

I'll fix the post.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just going to continue to haul ass in the direction laid out by the plan.

Athletics test: 2, 5, 2 (1 success)
    Blindside moves another 6m this pass.

IAmUnaware on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lumiere puts her pistol back in its holster and concentrates on running for the trees for now.
    If we're in the next combat turn, I'll declare Lumiere's first two actions now.

Pass 1: Run 3 meters - use Combat Pool for defence
    Pass 2: Run 3 meters - use Combat Pool for defence
    Pass 3: She'll cast a spell of some sort, depending on the state of play.

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think anyone's been hit. Unless he needs to cast a heal on someone, Gabriel will just spend his turn trying to keep up with the group.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is goon b in range for a charge? I wanna dive on him and ruin his life aspirations. If he ain't, I'll shoot him

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Johnny, The goons haven't been moving but you were running last turn. Following Lumiere's plan you go about 10 of you movement to the north then 9 to the west. That will put you at about 40 meters from your target which would be out of range for your charge into melee. They'll probably be dead before you get there :D

illgottengains on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tank slows down as he nears the trees and lines up a shot on one of the goons. Hopefully he could hold the line for a bit while the less meaty of the bunch get to relative safety. Squeezing the trigger on his newly acquired roomsweeper, he fires a slug right into that fancy chest armor. "Who are these guys?" he calls to the rest of the team, not really expecting an answer.
    Simple: Take Aim
    Simple: Shoot at Goon B

Base TN 6, +2 fog, -1 take aim, -1 stationary target = TN 6
    Using four combat dice for a total of 10d6t6: 5, 6, 1, 5, 5, 5, 2, 4, 5, 6 = 2 Successes, unless my previous Take Aim actions can be applied here, then it's 8 Successes.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It can and does since you haven't done anything except aim since your last take aim action. However. Those goons are bunched up and you'll have shotgun spread. They're at approx 40 meters from you so apply your spread as detailed in the combat section. You should have two targets in spread :D.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, so with a choke of 10 we're looking at -4/-4, so 5S, TN of 2, 9 Successes.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

7 [8d6t2=5, 1, 5, 3, 2, 5, 3, 5]

8 [8d6t2=2, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5]

Tank's roomsweeper coughs a flechette round out across the field catching the remaining two goons and putting them down hard. Their bodies fly back a few feet before settling down on the grass.

You realize you can hear that ringing sound in your ear when the gunfire settles down. It won't be quiet long though there are at least 16 more of those goons running around in the woods somewhere south and east of you...
    Combat is technically over for now so feel free to do what you wish. Please keep track of the ammo you've spent. Denada that roomsweeper has two more rounds in it and a spare clip.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Keep running!
    And find a spot to regroup.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Morgan takes cover behind a tree, draws his Ares Predator and looks back just in time to see the last 2 shooters go down at the receiving end of Tank's shotgun blast. He scans the area behind his teamates and waits for the slower ones to catch up with him.

"Come visit lovely Tir na nOg. Home of Leprachauns, the Giant's Causeway, the cliffs of Moher and running firefights. Let's get a move on people!"
    Morgan is going to stay here behind cover and wait until the last of his team goes past. He figures he can outrun them all. I don't know if I can get "aim" actions in without any targets in sight, but he'll hold until an enemy shows and then open fire.

LockeJaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I live in Illinois, US but I was in Ireland on vacation a few years back, so I've got these images running through my head as the game goes through Dublin and the countryside... wish I could post a few pictures.

LockeJaw on
  • Options
    IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blindside, panting slightly, nods at the shooters. "Good work. Always good to be traveling in the company of people who can murder a group of heavily armed strangers at range while running through a forest."

IAmUnaware on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Group Perception success

Those of you covering the rear flanks catch sight of a group of those goons moving through the trees south of you. They're a ways off (60 yards) and they don't seem to have spotted you yet. It's hard to tell how many there are exactly but it looks like they will be passing through were you suspect the bikes are. No way to fit 9 runners on 4 bikes anyway.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "I think I will get a better view of the situation."

Once she reaches the tree line, Lumiere stops and crouches for a brief moment, mumbling some odd language to herself, before leaping into the air and rapidly nearing the top of the treeline.

Dice rolling to cast Levitate @ Force 3 -

Sorcery Test: Spellcasting (7) + Spell Pool (1) +2 dice from Power Focus vs TN: 5 2 successes
    Drain Resistance: Willpower (6) + Spell Pool (3) vs 4M = 5 successes - no drain taken

Lumiere is now flying at 8 meters per turn, and will be looking ahead for roads, clearings, more groups of soliders and such. Trying to stay close to the top of the treeline so as not to be easily picked off.

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    "Dat girl be too bold. She need a bit a' help."

Gabriel pulls some powder from a pocket and grasps a serpent scale firmly. Tossing the powder in Lumiere's direction, he chants softly.
    Improved invisibility cast, force 3 (two dice reserved for drain, making the total rolls 12 dice for casting and 8 dice for drain)

Invis cast: 5 successes

Drain check: 4 successes (typed the wrong target, but it didn't affect the reporting)

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lumiere's feet edge up off the ground she shimmers for a moment before vanishing and flying up above the treeline. You fail to spot the solid break in trees that would denote a roadway ahead. Looks like your chummers are going to have a little walk ahead of them. Luckily you also fail to notice anyone ahead of you that might bar your path. You take a glance back behind you and pick out four goons rounding the eastern wall of the half collapsed lodge. Four from the east (50 meters) and at least as many in woods to the south. Someone back there lets a burst go from an uzi. The bullets aren't on target but they aren't too far off either. They can be heard being absorbed by the giant oak trees.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    do I have 15 seconds between end of combat and arrival of group 2 to raid the closest guard for ammo? Maybe grab his com

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lumiere slowly descends down to meet her crew on the run.

"There's no road ahead, and there are around 8 still following us. Did anyone happen to come across a grenade or similar? I could fly back and create a diversion with it, perhaps."

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    do I have 15 seconds between end of combat and arrival of group 2 to raid the closest guard for ammo? Maybe grab his com
    This is a good question. Blackstone would also like to loot the bodies if we have time.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's up to you whether or not you want to loot. I will say that those corpses are out in the open with no cover (why they died so easy) and that those goons to the south will be in SMG range if you decided to double back it'll mean another fight.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    That'd be a no unless you guys are nuts. Please tell me you're not that crazy.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm trying to say "no" as little as this adventure will allow me to. :D

Oh and by the way. Your paranoia meter just hit 7.

illgottengains on