As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!] Shadowrun 3rd PbP "Celtic Double-Cross"

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pass 2:
    Copied and pased from my earlier post.

Pass 2: Fire 2! 8d6o6t3: 6 [8d6o6t3=5, 2, 11, 3, 5, 3, 1, 3] Thats another 6 sucesses, Damage = 9M (Target Number = 3 = 5(range) + 4(fog) - 2(Smartlink) - 4(Thermo-vision) -1(Aimed Shot) + 1(second shot))

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Pass 2:
    Copied and pased from my earlier post.

Pass 2: Fire 2! 8d6o6t3: 6 [8d6o6t3=5, 2, 11, 3, 5, 3, 1, 3] Thats another 6 sucesses, Damage = 9M (Target Number = 3 = 5(range) + 4(fog) - 2(Smartlink) - 4(Thermo-vision) -1(Aimed Shot) + 1(second shot))
    ok so you've got the modifiers a little jinxed here. Applicable modifiers right now are +2 fog +2 target running (during previous action) +2 Target in melee and then you +1 recoil -1 aim -2 thermo (it can't reduce further than the fog conceals) -2 smartlink and range 5 so your target number is 7 that gives you one success

Blackstone's predator snaps again. The round catches the already wounded fomorian in one of it's massive thighs. (light damage) It falls to the ground as it is thrown off balance.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think recoil applies unless it's the second shot in the same pass. A shot from a previous pass doesn't cause recoil, I think. Not that it changes Blackstone's successes, but it could be important later

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll double check that. I should have pointed out that fomorian C has one box of HP left. That's actually right the way it is shushnik. Recoil is cumulative through the whole combat phase. If we go through a whole combat phase and reroll init then recoil goes back to 0. In other words... if you guys dont kill these fomorians on this pass (which is the final pass this combat phase) [shadowrun is so wordy]

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I remember why I stopped playing Shadowrun. It makes no sense.

That means no matter how many actions I have in any combat turn, with a single pistol I can shoot twice. If I had 4 passes because of some crazy initiative I could shoot twice and then throw 6 grenades. Or I could up that gun away, draw a different pistol, and fire two more times. But I can't shoot again with that gun, it stops working after two shots. Just silly.

[/bitchfest]

Shushnik on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll double check that. I should have pointed out that fomorian C has one box of HP left. That's actually right the way it is shushnik. Recoil is cumulative through the whole combat phase. If we go through a whole combat phase and reroll init then recoil goes back to 0. In other words... if you guys dont kill these fomorians on this pass (which is the final pass this combat phase) [shadowrun is so wordy]
    Shushnik wrote: »
    Now I remember why I stopped playing Shadowrun. It makes no sense.

That means no matter how many actions I have in any combat turn, with a single pistol I can shoot twice. If I had 4 passes because of some crazy initiative I could shoot twice and then throw 6 grenades. Or I could up that gun away, draw a different pistol, and fire two more times. But I can't shoot again with that gun, it stops working after two shots. Just silly.

[/bitchfest]

I think we're mixing up terminology here.

A Combat Turn is the largest unit, starting with renewing combat pools and rolling for initiative. Each Combat Turn is broken up into Initiative Passes. In each Initiative Pass, every character has a chance to take their Combat Phase. Then everyone's initiative is reduced by 10 and the next Initiative Pass begins. Combat Phase here is the structure in which the character can declare and perform up to 2 simple or one complex action, make their movement, etc.

Consequently, Recoil is calculated for the number of shots you have made this Combat Phase. It does not carry over from Initiative Pass to Initiative Pass. Semi-automatic pistols, likewise, can be shot twice per Combat Phase.

Honestly, they probably could have picked more diverse terminology to differentiate a Combat Phase from a Combat Turn but it is what it is. Edit: Actually, those terms look like they should be interchanged compared to the language of other systems. Typically a "turn" denotes a player's set of actions and a "phase" is often combined with other different phases to create a structured flow. 4th edition just changes "combat phase" to "action phase", only a minor improvement.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So is the fog +2 for all visibility, or is this just for the folks with low-light?
    Visibility modifiers in melee get cut in half, and I've only been counting in a +2 on my end so far, but checking the book now, it appears light fog is +4/2.

I'm just curious if I'm at a +2 or a +1 to TN for melee. I'll make the attack anyway, and just count successes separately.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Growling in rage, Alistair flung the Predator to his feet, and leaped towards to the remaining fomorian, but the monofilament line snapped just above the creature’s head.
    Base 4 (melee), +2 fog, +1 walking, -1 reach (Reach 2, I’m just assuming they only have Reach 1)
    I am unclear on whether melee attacks suffer the +2 TN for the target running or not. It’s not on the Melee Modifiers table; but then again, neither is Attacker Moving (although that part is at least explicitly mentioned under movement).

Jesus Christ, never fucking mind.
    If our Karma pools have refreshed... I am rerolling all of those. God dammit.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hold on. I would dispute most if not all of that.

First off. The fog doens't concel anything because my infrared sight looks through the fog. Also see the table in the 3rd edition core book page 112. Light Fog and Thermovision = 0 modifiers.

Second.
    Recoil for a second shot in separate phases. I don't know any page references but that makes NO sense whatsoever. I'm with Shushnik on this one.

Sigh. Curse you FASA for your awesome worldbuilding and fluff, paired with absolutely horrible rules.

Still I shot the dude, so whatever....

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Hold on. I would dispute most if not all of that.

First off. The fog doens't concel anything because my infrared sight looks through the fog. Also see the table in the 3rd edition core book page 112. Light Fog and Thermovision = 0 modifiers.

Second.
    Recoil for a second shot in separate phases. I don't know any page references but that makes NO sense whatsoever. I'm with Shushnik on this one.

Sigh. Curse you FASA for your awesome worldbuilding and fluff, paired with absolutely horrible rules.

Still I shot the dude, so whatever....
    Steelhawk. Ok. I seem to be about as confused as some of the other players when it comes to combat phase vs combat turn. So the ruling on recoil does not stand. Recoil adds up during the time in which you take actions ( your combat phase, If I have this right. ) After that it drops to zero. That means Blackstones predator shot will kill fomorian C.

Also, I see now why you had the +4 light fog modifier. It's because you are using cybernetic vision and not natural. It's all these little things that keep getting me. and your thermo vision drops that +4 to 0 which is exactly what I did when I added your modifiers. I just had it at +2 and -2.
    Holy Might. I took a glance and didn't see the target running either. For consistency's sake lets assume that it does apply. Feel free to reroll as your karma pool allows.
    Sorry folks, please bear with me. At some point in this adventure I should be wielding a firm grip over all the intricacies of SR3.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    4 (base) +2 (fog) +1 (walking) +2 (target running) -1 (reach) = TN 8
    I missed saying it last time, but there's 5 dice from my Combat Pool (7/9)

Let's see if this is any better.

2 successes: 11, 10, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1

Still horrible rolls. At least I didn't gut myself.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can I just shoot this asshole?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Can I just shoot this asshole?
    Sadly I had to do that for ya. You did hit Fomorian C with yer uzi. I waited a couple days for ya but eventually I had to push on. Sawbones unfortunately has no more passes this combat turn. But it doesn't matter because Alistair just ended this combat.

Alistair refuses to believe that his initial attack was slightly off mark. Keeping momentum up he brings his mono-whip around again. This time he watches as the single fiber line wraps around the fomorian's neck and cleanly decapitates it. The head hits the dirt before just before it's body crumbles.

Six bodies lay on the forest floor; four dead vampiric trolls, an armored goon, and Tank.

(group perception success)

The sound of a shoddy old pickup truck can be heard. Tires screech. Before you know it three humans stand not far off of the scene. One of them, an older fellow, carries a shutgun of some sort. The other two are somewhat young and are armed with machetes. Rural bumpkin types. They look on in awe.

Before long the old man steps forward, his shotgun pointed to the ground.

"Looks like ya didn't need our help at all." As he gets closer the smell of whiskey can be noticed off his breath. "Them fomorian's been running 'round the country-side for weeks now. Glad to see you rid us of the problem. Name's Timothy, these are my boys Samuel and Jason. Don't be shy now boys."

They nod towards the runners, clearly in awe of the group's combat prowess.

"I reckon you all would like a place to sleep tonight. It's the least I could do, seeing you took care of our fomorian troubles."
    So... I can't seem to get away from the southern USA rural thing and it's probably shows in the dialogue here... this hillbillies are of the Irish sort, accent and all.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No worries, Ill. We're all on a learning curve here. I hope I didn't sound snotty questioning your calls, that wan't my intention.

"That sir," Begins Blackstone, not at all lowering his pistol, but at least not pointing it directly at the two boys. "Would be nice. Frankly, I have no fragging clue where we are. I think we'd all appreciate a ride outta here. Just give us a minute to collect ourselves."

Blackstone turns to the rest of the crew, "Seems convienient that these irish yokels show just now, but we can't look a gift horse in the mouth. If one of you fireball throwers can work your mojo to make sure they're not vampires too, then I say we take the free ride outta here. And can someone wake up Tank?"

Blackstone loots the bodies: the trolls and the goon. But not Tank. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    Tank took only stun damage, correct? Magic healing is only repair of physical damage, if I remember correctly. Damn work and lack of access to my book!

I also apologize for my bitchfest. I was having a frustrating weekend and obviously didn't keep it from spilling over. I'll try to avoid such in the future.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Any port in a storm, I say." Blindside whispers to the group, then hurriedly adds "Uh, like you say, as long as they're not vampires."

IAmUnaware on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So if I'm understanding the rules correctly, I basically just need to sleep off my damage for a while and then I'll be fine, correct? There isn't really any healing to do other than just waiting until the boxes go away. And I believe I get to make a Body check to reduce the time it takes to heal a box:

Body Check = TN 2, +3 for stun damage = TN 5 = 4, 6, 2, 6, 2, 6, 6, 4, 1, 1, 6 = 5 successes, so 12 minutes per box of stun. That's 48 minutes until I'm conscious, 60 minutes until I'm in Moderate, and another 60 minutes until I'm completely healed. So all in all, about 3 hours for me to fully recover.

Denada on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    Denada wrote: »
    So if I'm understanding the rules correctly, I basically just need to sleep off my damage for a while and then I'll be fine, correct? There isn't really any healing to do other than just waiting until the boxes go away. And I believe I get to make a Body check to reduce the time it takes to heal a box:

Body Check = TN 2, +3 for stun damage = TN 5 = 4, 6, 2, 6, 2, 6, 6, 4, 1, 1, 6 = 5 successes, so 12 minutes per box of stun. That's 48 minutes until I'm conscious, 60 minutes until I'm in Moderate, and another 60 minutes until I'm completely healed. So all in all, about 3 hours for me to fully recover.
    Given that stun is the consequence of casting poorly, I completely understand why it that isn't capable of being healed. That said, someone getting their butt kicked until they are knocked out being incapable of receiving magical healing makes little sense.

So, Illgottengains, are we going with the interpretation that all stun damage is outside the scope of magic? Even physical stun damage?

If magic is out, I do have a medkit which I can possibly speed Tank's recovery with. Please let me know what my options are, because I'm lacking my rulebook. Thanks.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, from the book:

"No medical treatment really helps to recover Stun damage, nor does any magical spell currently known to man. Stim patches provide a temporary solution, but with definite long-term drawbacks."

So yeah, I guess I just have to sleep it off for 45 minutes, then walk around feeling like crap for another couple of hours.

Denada on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    Denada wrote: »
    Well, from the book:

"No medical treatment really helps to recover Stun damage, nor does any magical spell currently known to man. Stim patches provide a temporary solution, but with definite long-term drawbacks."

So yeah, I guess I just have to sleep it off for 45 minutes, then walk around feeling like crap for another couple of hours.
    I feel so...magical...when I can't even help a guy with a head injury.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you take a step away from the heal spell and drop a boast attribute body it'll help tank heal up. Medical and Magical healing does not aid stun damage. You just sleep it off.
    The goon has very little on him. After a thorough search you find a credstick with 200¥. He has no ID on him. His friends made off with his uzi but he does have a clip of uzi ammo on him. Other than that the only thing of value would be his armor. It would be only marginally useful to the group since moving around publicly in armor would raise much suspicion. You could probably sell it to Mhrohgg

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blackstone will toss the the Uzi clip to whomever it was who grabbed that Uzi. He will also pocket the creditstick and bundle up the armor for sale....or to fedex it back to a Post Office box back in the UCAS for use later. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    Time to read the aura of these boys, just to be sure they don't shine like a vampire.

Read Aura check: 1, 4, 4, 10

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gabriel can find no indication that these folk are nothing other than what they claim. He reads no hostility in their auras, but the two boys seem like they are more frightened of the runners than they were of the fomorians.

"Well, ahm, hm. Is that a captive?" The old man kind of points his shotgun towards the goon that is currently being striped of his security armor. "I'm afraid that I can't allow you to bring a hostage to my home. Just doesn't seem wise. I'll wait if you want to chat with him.."

"Why don't you boys run on home and tell yer maw that we'll be having some guests tonight."

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    Mind Probe, force 4 on the captive. Target number is his will, which may leave lots of successes or not.

I'd like to know who he got the job from

Is this unit people he normally works with or just random mercs

Who his normal fixer is (if different from the first inquiry)

What were his orders and who were his intended targets

If he knows the guys we just ran into

What the plan was contingent on his success

What the plan was contingent on his failure

Drain check: no drain

Shushnik on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    The description of Mind Probe could be interpreted in some different ways, so I've gone with the concept that a single mind probe lets you probe for multiple pieces of information. Once that link is severed, there is a +2 TN modifier to reestablish. I'm not sure if this is correct, but my assumption of the instruction that you can probe for one piece of info per pass makes me think this is likely the way they intended it to be interpreted.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The way I interpret Mind Probe is that you go in looking for a single question. Depending on the successes you gain more valuable info. Each additional use adds +2 to the TN. As such, I'll narrow your questions to the most prevalent and make some extra rolls for you. You sustain the spell so no additional drain will need to be checked for.

Gabriel reaches into the goon's unconscious mind searching for some clues to the riddles surrounding him and his fellows.

The old man seems taken aback by this. The thought that this wiz-kid could at any moment attempt to read his deepest darkest secrets does not sit well with him.

Gabriel learns this:

This man is a member of the Irish National Liberation Front.

His comrades are also members of this group.

Orders come down a complex system of cell commanders. He received word of the attack about an hour before it took place. Orders were giving anonymously using code that only leaders of the INLF can understand. This cell is based in Enniskillen. A small town about an hour's drive from the lodge.

The orders were specifically to launch a mortar strike on the east wing on the lodge. He was under the impression that the targets were in the east wing and that after the mortars the squads would move in and clear out any survivors. He was clearly misled or misinformed. They were to kill everyone except any elf. They were to leave one chopper unharmed as well.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Well, Timothy," Alistair said, dusting himself off casually.

"We would certainly be appreciative of any an hospitality you have to offer. You will understand if we are a bit wary, but please do not hold it against us. It is a strange land for most of us, and as my colleague has pointed out, we are a bit lost."

He glanced around at the others.

"If you could pull that truck of yours we heard around for us, so that we can haul our large, and unfortunately unconscious friend here into the back, we will be done with this other gentleman shortly and can be on our way."

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Oh, sure, sure. I'll wait for you there." Timothy heads off toward the road ahead.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    While Timothy is heading off, Gabriel will share the probed information with the group.

"I don' tink we gonna get more den dat from 'im. 'e a soldier, it take hours we ain' got ta get more."

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well. This should be interesting. What are you going to do with the body? Leave it? Kill him? Cut out his tongue and break his fingers?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd just as soon as kill him and leave his body with the trolls. No sense getting fancy here.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    He was assigned to kill us as a soldier. He never directly attacked us, however.

I will not kill him, nor will I allow him to be killed. Strip him of weapons, armor, and valuables if you like but he does not deserve to die. Unless, that is, someone can attest to the Irish National Liberation Front being an inherently evil organization. I doubt they are, but I confess I am ignorant of Irish militant groups in 2063.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are there more than 4 troll vampires lurking in these woods? Tie him to a tree and let them do the rest.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010
    "By de way, I tink we betta remove de heads an' burn de bodies of de fomorians. I don' trust dem to stay down by gunshot alone."
    Small correction, fomorians are formed by the Jarka-Criscione strain of the HMHVV, thus infection would cause humans to turn furry and god only knows what it would do to dwarves or orks. Luckily, I don't think it will be an issue.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Who knows how many fomorians lurk in the woods!?! Not I!

illgottengains on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seeing the callous, cold look of murder shooting from his fellow runners' eyes, Cross steps between the group and the sleeping terrorist. "Let us take this kind gentleman's offer. Our friend here should be fine in the forest until he awakens." He shoves man with his foot for emphasis. "Then he is in God's hands." Narrowing his eyes, he waits for someone to challenge him. 'Compassion' and 'mercy' are not words spoken by everyone in the shadows.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alistair grinned.

"Cross," he said, throwing an arm around the old Ork's shoulder, "have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy your company?"

"Now... if someone could grab Tank's legs, so we can get him our of here. We do not want to keep our new friends waiting."

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    BeerbabyBeerbaby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lumiere appears content to stand back and let others decide the fate of the captured muscle, and does what she can to stay away from the fomorians.

"I think I am happy to leave this man here, but perhaps not so keen on being tracked to our host's residence if he remains our enemy.", she comments. "Of course, it may be to our advantage to bring him along to convince to be an ally...after we have disarmed him of course. I think one of his politics may be perhaps well-connected locally?"

Does this captured guard have any physical wounds? If so, and if people maybe think he could be a useful contact, I'll drop a Treat on him to show good will

Beerbaby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The goon took a moderate hit when he fell off of his bike. He's going to be out for a while probably.

To be honest you got all the info you could have out of him already. His usefulness to you is pretty much nil outside of a human shield.

As far as the INLF they are basically the IRA. They are a known terrorist organization. Anyone with any gang/terrorist knowledge skill would know that offhand. They control a large portion of the TnN criminal pie. Mainly they want the Catholic church to rule TnN. They don't mind the elves but they dislike other meta's. Big Surprise there.

illgottengains on