As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would imagine that it happened, just not quite in the same context.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's a universal constant.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I need some assistance from you folks!

My roommate is a big Green Lantern fan and as such I'd like to get him a GL comic. I don't know exactly what he owns but I'm aiming for something fairly self-contained.

Can any of you help me!?!?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Sinestro Corps War if he doesnt have it?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    i'm not a big gl fan; but, over the summer i picked up reborn, sinestro corps war, and blackest night trades.

i wasn't amazed; but, it was some good sci-fi fun.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    There's a big Blackest Night/Brightest Day sale going on over at Comixology. I was going to grab Blackest Night and its GL/GLC tie ins, but I understand I should probably pass on Brightest Day?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Yes, brightest day was just okay and everything that happened was retconned with the new 52.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    Yeah, I would imagine that it happened, just not quite in the same context.

tumblr_me3v55OkRV1r8yjsn.png

Aw, now I'm sad.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    :(

• Options
    algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I need some assistance from you folks!

My roommate is a big Green Lantern fan and as such I'd like to get him a GL comic. I don't know exactly what he owns but I'm aiming for something fairly self-contained.

Can any of you help me!?!?
    agreed with green lantern sinister corps, but I must add that he should get green lantern rebirth too

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    If he's a big fan, I wouldn't get him anything by Johns just because he probably already has it.

Maybe get him some '90s Lantern, if he 's a recent fan, or some JLA stuff that prominently features the character.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Get Willworld

• Options
    If he likes John Stewart at all, I'd track down the first few arcs of Green Lantern Mosaic and give him those. It's a pretty cool series.

• Options
    looks like Green Lantern #15 was delayed for 2 weeks. Mahnke needs a serious break for one full arc. I love his work, but the dude clearly cannot keep up a 12 issue a year pace. No shame in that, just plan ahead and rotate in a good artist for an arc.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Hard to lay the delays on Mahnke alone - he was a 12 issue a year guy prior to working with Johns. Who knows if Johns is keeping up his end of the bargain, schedule-wise.

And that doesn't even take into account the clusterfuck that is DC editorial.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yeah, Mahnke's always been extremely punctual.

After Jurgens and Perez, both very punctual professionals, complained about DC editorial, I'd be more inclined to lay the blame at DC's feet, than Mahnke's.

• Options
    It could be late scripts or editorial screwery, but the guy has had 3 or 4 inkers on each GL issue for awhile now. Doesn't exactly speak to timeliness on at least one person's part.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm way way behind, but I actually popped open my old longboxes this week to find out exactly where I left off with GL. Somehow I've managed to not see any major spoilers since the day I stopped reading, so I think I'm just going to live in the past for a while.

Just finished Rage of the Red Lanterns. That was a nice little reintroduction to the series.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Green Lantern New Guardians #15
    Ugh. Bedard did a flashback to two years ago just after Kyle gets the ring. Ganthet takes him to a bustling Oa to get him acquainted with Kilowog and start his training where they encounter Sayd.

So much wrong with that scene and it contradicts the flashback in #1, which showed dead Guardians and an Oa in ruins, referencing Emerald Twilight. The flashback in #15 seems to suggest that Emerald Twilight never happened and Kyle had a proper introduction to the Corps and everything. It's crap and makes zero sense.

Also the Third Army kills Sayd.

• Options
    Green Lantern #15
    Doesn't do much, but it's revealed that the First Lantern's real name is Volthoom. You may recognize the name as the entity which powered Power Ring's ring in Morrison's reimagining of Earth 3 and the Crime Syndicate. Hmm.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Seems like the story is starting to pick up the pace a bit. It hasn't had nearly the build up that Sinestro Corps and especially Blackest Night got. The threat has just sort of crept up and is suddenly huge now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I'm just pissed about the GLNG #15 retcon which throws even the recent new 52 continuity into chaos.

• Options
    I'm just pissed about the GLNG #15 retcon which throws even the recent new 52 continuity into chaos.

But wouldn't keeping
    Emerald Twilight in continuity have been even more chaotic?
    I don't know how you could fit it into the new compressed timeline, not to mention the fact that it no longer fits Hal's characterization?

• Options

But wouldn't keeping
    Emerald Twilight in continuity have been even more chaotic?
    I don't know how you could fit it into the new compressed timeline, not to mention the fact that it no longer fits Hal's characterization?

ET is the essential building block of Johns' entire run. Everything came from that. Hal grappling with his possession by Parallax was perhaps the only real subplot in GL Volume 4 aside from the rehabilitation of Sinestro as a character. And it still works with the compressed timeline. You just say everything took 6 months instead of ten years or whatever.

Honestly, if they had thrown ET out from the beginning and given us real zero issues for GL and GLNG that cleared it up, I wouldn't be so annoyed. But they're making the new 52 contradict itself already for no good reason and it's aggravating.

• Options
    Feh, I just do what Johns' did when this whole 52 stuff started - ignore whatever doesn't work with the story.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Wow, this GL #17 cover
    1357662264.jpg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Purdy.

Got GL:New Guardian annual today. Very strange tangent they went off on, but enjoyable. Weird seeing them pilfer a lot of outer-space lingo from Marvel's Annihilation books, but for all I know they could be free use terms. Just never heard of them outside of Marvel's previous cosmic line stuff. Apparently it's going to spin-off into a new book called 'Threshold' involving a rogue GL and Lady Styx from 52.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Annihilation, the GLNG Annual, and the upcoming Threshold series are all written by Keith Giffen which explains the reuse of space lingo

• Options
    Yea, I had the thought that they might be written by the same guy, it was a very similar style, was gonna look up Annihilation when I got home.

Well, I might just give it a try in that case, I had fun with Annihilation.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I think this is our first look at what the First Lantern actually looks like (via Newsarama posting a variant cover for an upcoming issue of GLC)
    glcor_cv17.jpg

how terribly and disappointingly generic, grim, and ugly

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Just read Threshold and it is the best lantern comic out right now, if you're a fan of cosmic comics then you should get it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    funny thing about that cover:
    it looks like Kubert's Red Skull when he drew Cap, like he had that in his sketch drawer from back then and just switched Cap to Guy

• Options
    Just read Threshold and it is the best lantern comic out right now, if you're a fan of cosmic comics then you should get it.

I don't know if I'd agree that it's better than GL or New Guardians as a lantern book, but 'Hunted' has an interesting premise and I'll be happy if this spins out further into something involving Lady Styx (who I've been a fan of since 52 - I want some reason why this empire of her's is so wildly different from 52's portrayal). And Larfleeze is always fun - of course he'd want a book for his own corps.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So Green Lantern Corps Annual #1 was the actually supes important to the GL line and is the conclusion to Rise of the Third Army "crossover",
    It also has the Corps vs Guardians/Third Army finally.

• Options
    Yeah GLC Annual #1 finally moved the story forward in a significant way after the near glacial pace of the last four months.
    While the story itself held zero surprises (we knew Volthoom would break out in the end because we know the next story is Wrath of the First Lantern), it had nice little moments that made it feel more like a GL story from the old days than we've had in awhile. Some of my favorite moments included Kyle and Guy's familiarity, friendship, and respect for each other clearly referencing their days as the GLC book's co-stars, Kyle's actions and personality as the White Lantern are now very much more reminiscent of his Ion days (Ion version 2 from just before Sinestro Corps War), and Soranik Natu had a cameo appearance. We haven't seen her since GLC #62 (i think) from the pre-New 52 days. I was worried she had been retconned out for some reason (why de-age Sinestro?), but there she was alongside the old GLC guard of Isamot Kol, Vath Sarn, Princess Iolande, and Kilowog.

Hope all of these characters continue on. Easily the best issue of Tomasi's New 52 GLC run.

• Options
    It has been really slow so far, but the story finally kicked into gear and brought back some Sinestro Corps/War of the GL levels of action. I think the kept the build up a little too low key though.
    There was an interesting image during the sequence where Baz and B'Dg were pulled into the Black Book - a man with the black lantern symbol and a skull mask, which may be a Black Lantern Kyle...

The first lantern character was described as a 'reality warping monster' by the Guardians, so I'm a bit worried they're going to use that as an excuse to retcon things, something I have mixed feelings about.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Yeah I have a feeling that Volthoom's powers will be used by the writers to "clarify" the new 52 history of the GLC. Retconning what we knew from the pre-new 52 days, but not necessarily retconning the new 52 itself since we haven't been given much information on what is different in the new 52 so far. The assumption being that not much was different, but perhaps they'll change that. A retcon by omission.

• Options
    I would not object to them taking this opportunity to change the Red Lanterns to become more like their animated series incarnation. Cause that version is much more interesting. So far there hasn't been a Corps with this entire sub-culture acting as support for it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WestSideWallyWestSideWally Registered User new member
    Yeah I have a feeling that Volthoom's powers will be used by the writers to "clarify" the new 52 history of the GLC. Retconning what we knew from the pre-new 52 days, but not necessarily retconning the new 52 itself since we haven't been given much information on what is different in the new 52 so far. The assumption being that not much was different, but perhaps they'll change that. A retcon by omission.

Considering that Geoff Johns is practically head of DC in terms of power, I wonder Volthoom ties into Trinity War somehow. If he has Reality warping powers, then that means he might be aware of the old Universe. He could be Psycho Pirate's equivalent, except with the power to turn the clock back.

• Options
    There's a whole conspiracy theory around why the GL solicits weren't released on Friday like everything else. Maybe having to do with the DC creative summit that went on this weekend? And considering that the regular artists for GLC, Red Lanterns, and GLNG are all on different books in May, we may be seeing a major creatives team switch. The end of the Johns era?