As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I actually kinda like Baz.

He's like Hal, except interesting. And while the gun being a huge part of his reveal was horrible, I do kinda like that he packs a sidearm in case his ring runs out. Cause that shit does happen a lot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Yeah the gun was lame, but the reason for it makes perfect sense. I just wish he'd stop using it while he's using the ring.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    GLNG #17 preview on the Source here http://www.dccomics.com/galleries/green-lantern-new-guardians-17-preview

Includes a two page spread very similar to Guy's. It shows that all of Kyle's previous costumes are still in continuity. (The only one excluded is his first Ion costume, but his second Ion costume is present, albeit the mask colored incorrectly).

The flashbacks pictured don't show much. Only things from this run of GLNG, a couple of generic shots you could assume came from the first volume of GLC, and nothing from Kyle's GL volume 3. I was at least hoping for a shot of Soranik Natu to setup the inevitable retread of Kyle's girlfriend issues.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I actually kinda like Baz.

He's like Hal, except interesting. And while the gun being a huge part of his reveal was horrible, I do kinda like that he packs a sidearm in case his ring runs out. Cause that shit does happen a lot.

It looked really sill in the reveal image, yeah. But his justification for it is solid and smart. I kinda like the guy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I need some help coming up with a concept for my Sinestro Corp. Reservist in DC Universe Online. Does the Sinestro Corp allow humans in their ranks? Sinestro doesn't like humans, so I wasn't sure. Though, I guess the Scarecrow was one, briefly, but that was kind of a special circumstance.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I need some help coming up with a concept for my Sinestro Corp. Reservist in DC Universe Online. Does the Sinestro Corp allow humans in their ranks? Sinestro doesn't like humans, so I wasn't sure. Though, I guess the Scarecrow was one, briefly, but that was kind of a special circumstance.

Sinestro doesn't like anyone - that doesn't matter though. The criteria is being capable of instilling great fear in others - no Corps restricts membership based on species. Scarecrow almost got a ring yes, and there was nothing special about it - he happened to be in the right sector and the ring sought him out because he met the requirements.

If you want your guy to be human, have at it - he can be the Sinestro Corpsman of sector 2814. Going by canon that means he holds the ring that once belonged to Amon Sur, son of Abin Sur, the former wielder of Hal Jordan's ring. So there you go, you've already got a nifty little bit of backstory to draw upon, should you wish. It could be a completely new ring though - god knows there's enough Earth GLs that there could be more than one Sinestro Corpsman.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61034

The preview for GL #17 indicates that WTF month is starting early

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    So wait

Is the Third Army story arc over?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The 'Rise of the Third Army' part is yes, it ended in the GLC Annual. 'Wrath of the First Lantern' is the next bit.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I find it crazy that the final issue of Third Army ended with NEXT ISSUE: WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN PART ONE

People talk about events leading into each other but I've never seen it actually happen that explicitly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm blown away.

Kyle still has an apartment on Earth, who knew considering they pretty much keep him in space 99% of the time.

Who pays for it.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »

"I come in peace...with crazy eyes!"

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I find it crazy that the final issue of Third Army ended with NEXT ISSUE: WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN PART ONE

People talk about events leading into each other but I've never seen it actually happen that explicitly

Calling the third army an event is a huge stretch. huge

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    It was branded as a crossover between four different books

It may not be as big as something like Night of the Owls but I would say it qualifies.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Y'know, this might be the biggest thing ever.

The whole 'Hand of God at the beginning of the Universe' thing has been a big part of the cosmic stuff for a long time. Now they're going to explore the truth of it? Whew! Haven't had my interest piqued this sharply since the Anti-Monitor was entombed by the Black Lantern Central Battery.

The art style seems very old-school... presumably a deliberate choice for a segment of the story set way back in time.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    looks like the theory that Volthoom might be a crazy time lost White Lantern Kyle Rayner may still have some legs to it, even if it isn't actually Kyle. The rough timeline to the early history of the Guardians still works out, I think. I'm guessing that this flashback is our earliest look back yet. The imprisonment of Volthoom has the Maltusians take on the vestments of the White Lantern, Krona becomes their agent with the prototype green willpower gauntlet, the Manhunters are created, Krona rebels and reprograms the Manhunters, Sector 666 is destroyed, the Guardians encounter Larfleeze and the Orange Lantern for the first time, the Green Lantern Corps is created.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    New Creative teams announced, Larfleeze gets title
    Following up on the somewhat surprise revelation that long-time writer Geoff Johns was exiting the title after 9 years in May, and the follow-up reveal that all the Green Lantern 'family" title creative teams were also exiting their titles in May as well, DC Comics has announced the new creative teams for the titles, including a new series.

Wednesday morning, DC announced to MTV Geek that Green Lantern will now be carried by Robert Venditti and Billy Tan. Green Lantern Corps is coming from Joshua Hale Fialkov and Bernard Chang. Fialkov is also picking up Red Lanterns with Alessandro Vitti on art. Green Lantern: New Guardians continues with new writer Justin Jordan and artist Brad Walker. Finally, the surprise new title Larfleeze takes all the writers and artists ever... just kidding, the greediest lantern gets Keith Giffen writing and Scott Kollins on art

Cade on
  • Options
    And it looks like Kyle keeps the White!

01b0.jpg

• Options
    I'm cool with all of this and pretty excited. Bernard Chang is the art style I hoped more of the titles would go in (especially NG. I like Brad Walker, but not cartoony enough for Kyle). Chang will kill it on GLC.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Shame about Billy Tan though.

• Options
    I liked Billy Tan on Rise & Fall of the Shiar Empire. Haven't kept up with him since, but that was suitably cosmic and worked.

• Options
    What else has Robert Vindetti done?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    He's on Demon Knights right now I think? It's actually really good.

• Options
    He also writes the also really good X-O Manowar for Valiant.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I am wondering if the Larfleeze series means Threshold might be canned? Since he is already in a back - up in that book with the same creative team.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/02/20/green-lantern-venditti-tan/

Interview with Venditti and Tan up. Not a lot said, gives you the impression that they just started working on it. Sounds like they'll be following the familiar format of several small story arcs that builds to a big story arc that crosses over with all Lantern titles. Venditti promises new characters and a new status quo for Hal.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Woooooooooooooo! I am so damn happy right now!

• Options
    I am wondering if the Larfleeze series means Threshold might be canned? Since he is already in a back - up in that book with the same creative team.

I'd like to think that threshold will last longer than 10 or so issues. My guess is either they'll just replace larfleeze in the backup or better yet make the book 2.99.

• Options
    I went to ifanboy to check out the reactions to the new creative teams and a lot of people aren't excited. Which baffles me, every writer on that list is a big upgrade to what we just had. I'm mean seriously, fialvok and Jordan replace Tomasi and Bedard and the first thing you do is complain?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Loss of Johns; Bedard and Tomasi were know quantities. Whereas many of these guys are complete unknowns for those who read DCU only.

They needed to anchor GL with a big name, and then the other guys. But outside of Morrison, Marvel's sucked up all the big names.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    So via MTV geek's short interviews, we kinda know the direction for most of the books.

GLC is gonna tap into Fialkov's crime story roots, Red Lanterns will as well but from a more proactive, violent angle. He was is also changing them tobbe more comparable to the other Lantern Corps, ability wise.

Larfleeze will feature an entirely new cast of supporting characters and villains. Outside of his butler, of course.

New Guardians wasn't really all that clear.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    In his interview Jordan says that the title of the book is going to be more literal. So my guess is that it's going to be about kyle training the new guardians.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The real action was in GL17, with Corps and NG being sort've side stories. Just something to get Guy and Kyle up to speed on the new big threat.

It seems like Volthoom isn't quite the retcon-ify device I thought he would be, at least not yet.
    His power seems to be to shunt people off into 'What-If' dimensions shaped by his own choosing, after skimming their entire history through something called a 'Life Constellation'. Then he drains them of emotional energy while they experience it. It implies that if he's powerful enough he can make these 'what-if' histories real and permanent.

It's a very interesting concept and its internally consistent - if Volthoom is connected to the emotional spectrum which affects all living things, then monkeying with it might well let someone changed history. After all, how could alternate histories even exist without living beings to make conscious choices?

So, I'm sold on 'Wrath' so far. Could be a good story, and I think the main villain's design is actually nice and creepy.

edit - oh, and speaking of Larfleeze...

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/blogofoa/Animated Series/GL_Ep23_02.jpg

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    And it looks like Kyle keeps the White!

That costume is butt.

Just.

Straight butt.

• Options
    Yeah

I like Kyle's role as White Lantern but the suit is garish as fuuuuck

White on white on white is not a good look

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Thoughts on GL #17, GLC #17, and GLNG #17
    I disliked that when Volthoom looked at Ganthet's Life Constellation that Ganthet giving Kyle the ring wasn't highlighted. They've made such a huge deal of Ganthet and Kyle's connection over in GLNG that it was weird to not see it acknowledged in GL. At least it confirms that Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War are firmly in continuity.

GLC #17 was the worst of the lot, I thought. Tomasi just can't get me to care about Guy's rebooted family. This issue confirmed that Guy's Warrior days, all of the major beats from GLC vol 1 including Kyle's death and Soranik's involvement in his resurrection, are in continuity.

GLNG #17 was quite good. Kuder draws Kyle better with a mask than he does without. This issue confirmed all of Kyle's previous costumes are in continuity, that Hal died reigniting the sun (so some form of Final Night happened in the new 52), and that Kyle was Ion. Still waiting on to see if Hal spent time as the Spectre or not in the new 52. I think it's easy enough for them to get rid of that part if they wanted to. Just ignore his brief parts as the Spectre at the beginning of Rebirth and have it be all about Parallax corrupting his soul or something.

All in all, I had anticipated more damage being done to GL continuity with this arc but, so far anyway, they've actually been doing the best job yet in the new 52 of confirming that everything that happened still happened.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    GLNG confirmed that Volthoom is a dick.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    How does the anti monitor existing make any fucking sense because crisis on infinite earths clearly no longer happened.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Y'know, this might be the biggest thing ever.

The whole 'Hand of God at the beginning of the Universe' thing has been a big part of the cosmic stuff for a long time. Now they're going to explore the truth of it? Whew! Haven't had my interest piqued this sharply since the Anti-Monitor was entombed by the Black Lantern Central Battery.

The art style seems very old-school... presumably a deliberate choice for a segment of the story set way back in time.

so Hal, Kyle, John, or Guy
    now that the hand has a ring on it which lantern do you think will be responsible for creating the universe.

• Options
    I'd say it's probably going to be sinestro, maybe ganthet.