Options

[WoW] What Are All These Buttons, Paladin Thread?

• Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sven wrote: »

What he is saying is that, they are reverting the hotfix so light of dawn will trigger beacon. Apparently there is some other bug(not mentioned) that when fixed broke light of dawn. So until they can properly fix this bug, they are reverting the hotfix.

TL;DR light of dawn will still trigger beacon

edit: of course conspiracies exist that blizzard was just trying to sneak one by

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So it turns out the vengeance falling off was an aberration. I went back in and vengeance stacked so fast my face flew off.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What kind of glyphs are people currently running for Retribution? Right now I've got Truth glyph, Templar's Verdict and Judgement, but I was considering the Exorcism glyph (I think it's +20% of Exo damage as a DoT?) instead of the Judgement glyph, but I'm not sure. The Judgement glyph seems more consistent to me (+10% damage on that move) while the Exo glyph seems like it'd be nice with good Art of War procs.

Zomro on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seal of Truth, Templar's Verdict, and Exorcism are superior to the other glyphs.

Walt on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's good to hear. I thought for a moment that I might have been a bit crazy thinking about using the Exo glyph. I'll have to pick that up when I log on tonight.

Zomro on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    Seal of Truth, Templar's Verdict, and Exorcism are superior to the other glyphs.

That's my mix, as well.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zomro wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    So far, I'm pretty pleased with the Paladin changes in the new patch. Rebuke being baseline is a godsend when I'm tanking, being able to interrupt stuff more reliably is so nice. I especially love the fact that Rebuke uses the kick animation, which is just plain bad ass on a BE male. I never really did Retribution before this new patch, but it does seem pretty nice so far. I actually DPS'd a heroic BRC with some guildies the other night and didn't do too bad (pulled 17k DPS on Steelbender, but I think everyone does really high DPS on that guy because of the superheated armor). I know for sure I need more haste on my Ret gear, there are times when I'm just waiting for CS to cooldown and it's aggravating. It also still feels very proc heavy, considering the fact that, if you get no procs, you're just doing CS -> Judgement -> wait for CS -> wait for CS -> Templar's Verdict, you just mix in your procs with that. I do admit that it is pretty awesome to get multiple Divine Purpose procs (that's the "free" 3 HP proc, right?) in a row.
    No Holy Wrath?

I haven't used it in a rotation, haven't really thought to. Is it commonly used for a Ret rotation? Even then, though, it has a 15 sec CD so you'll still be waiting on other stuff to CD.
    Yes, you wait for CDs sometimes. That's by design. But not using HW when other things are on cooldown is folly. It's not that expensive like consecrate, and in the end it should add a few % to your total damage done.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So far, I'm pretty pleased with the Paladin changes in the new patch. Rebuke being baseline is a godsend when I'm tanking, being able to interrupt stuff more reliably is so nice. I especially love the fact that Rebuke uses the kick animation, which is just plain bad ass on a BE male. I never really did Retribution before this new patch, but it does seem pretty nice so far. I actually DPS'd a heroic BRC with some guildies the other night and didn't do too bad (pulled 17k DPS on Steelbender, but I think everyone does really high DPS on that guy because of the superheated armor). I know for sure I need more haste on my Ret gear, there are times when I'm just waiting for CS to cooldown and it's aggravating. It also still feels very proc heavy, considering the fact that, if you get no procs, you're just doing CS -> Judgement -> wait for CS -> wait for CS -> Templar's Verdict, you just mix in your procs with that. I do admit that it is pretty awesome to get multiple Divine Purpose procs (that's the "free" 3 HP proc, right?) in a row.
    No Holy Wrath?

I haven't used it in a rotation, haven't really thought to. Is it commonly used for a Ret rotation? Even then, though, it has a 15 sec CD so you'll still be waiting on other stuff to CD.
    Yes, you wait for CDs sometimes. That's by design. But not using HW when other things are on cooldown is folly. It's not that expensive like consecrate, and in the end it should add a few % to your total damage done.

The best part of HW is the AoE stun; I've glyphed it so that it affects 92% of Cata mobs (humanoids and beasts are the only two who escape, and there aren't that many of them, relatively speaking).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The best part of HW is the AoE stun; I've glyphed it so that it affects 92% of Cata mobs (humanoids and beasts are the only two who escape, and there aren't that many of them, relatively speaking).

I love it on that big elemental trash pull just before Valiona & Theralion.

mattclem on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just ah, make sure you take off that glyph before doing conclave of the winds >.>

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nobody wrote: »
    Just ah, make sure you take off that glyph before doing conclave of the winds >.>

I'm on the big guys there, so that's fine :-)

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    True, but nothing worse than having Holy wrath come up when you are on the guy who summons adds, and stun them right in the middle of the soothing rains circle.

Not that, you know, I've ever done that while tanking >.>

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ideally you would just wait to HW until after A-something puts down the circle and you've pulled them away. Wouldn't being able to stun them when they do their AoE crap be helpful?

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    After indicating earlier that I'd not really had any significant issues since the change, I have to take it back somewhat. We did Chimaeron last night; and, because it's a healing-intense fight, I swapped to Seal of Insight from the outset (with the usual second tank actually tanking first for threat purposes). I *really* noticed the lack of hits resulting in significantly fewer WoGs, which was notable because that's a fight where I predominantly use WoGs on other people rather than myself.

I'm wondering if I was better off sticking with Seal of Truth - which makes a marked difference in my hit rate - to get more reliable WoGs out instead of SoI for self-healing purposes (after all, SoI isn't likely to get me up past the magic 10k)

mattclem on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, speaking of HW, would you all recommend the glyph as ret? I'm currently running Ascetic Crusader, Consecration, and Divine plea as minors, but it's so rare that I need to hit divine plea I was thinking of replacing that.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

AoE stuns are the best, and so many Cata enemies are Dragonkin and Elementals. (EDIT: Glyphing HW, essentially, gives us two things: 1) an additional interrupt against a broader range of foes, which we lack a broad spectrum of as a DPS class; 2) an easy way to slow down the amount of damage the group is taking - against a large number of enemies, HW does piddly damage because of the way it divides, and the stun becomes increasingly important.)

I've never needed to use Ascetic Crusader or Divine Plea, because my Judgements of the Pure (?) gets me enough mana regen, and I'm only in danger of going OOM on the rare occasion that I blow both HW and Consecration in consecutive GCDs. And, even then, I'm not really close to being OOM, so much as "I've got enough mana for another CS and a Judgement, and I'll have to maybe wait a few seconds for a mana-costing spell if one comes up."

Instead, I glyphed Hammer and Rebuke, so that I never, ever, ever have a reason not to use them. :)

Mana problems are for other classes.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know of a Non-heroic BiS list for Protection paladins. I've been working on constructing my own, but I'd like something to compare to to see how completely wrong I am and I haven't been able to locate anything yet

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know of a Non-heroic BiS list for Protection paladins. I've been working on constructing my own, but I'd like something to compare to to see how completely wrong I am and I haven't been able to locate anything yet

Most of the lists I've seen either start at heroic level or raiding. The only one I've seen that really covers pre-heroic gear is this one: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=30230&rb_v=viewtopic&start=0

At the bottom of each section are 333 pieces that are normal drops, crafted, boe, or rep.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

As ever, Maintankadin has the goods. There's several, but I favour Digren's guide.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=29732&rb_v=viewtopic

That lists his feelings about gear at pretty much every level of current content.
    Stage 4 would be the one you're after.

Edit: From looking below, I realise I was answering for heroic *raids*, when you might have meant heroic *5-mans*. The latter would be Stage 2.

mattclem on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Maintankadin probably has something. But off the top of my head I think HoO has at least 6 ilevel 333 items you can get there. Grim Batol has a Trinket and a Weapon. IIRC, Lost City only has a weapon. From there, you should have Revered Hyjal rep which should net you a starter blue that will last you for a while.

Relics...I think you're better off buying a Jawbone from the AH, I don't think they're that expensive but YMMV.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mattclem wrote: »

As ever, Maintankadin has the goods. There's several, but I favour Digren's guide.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=29732&rb_v=viewtopic

That lists his feelings about gear at pretty much every level of current content.

Level 4 would be the one you're after.

Edit: From looking below, I realise I was answering for heroic *raids*, when you might have meant heroic *5-mans*. The latter would be Level 2.

Gracias

And I did mean heroic raids

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Stage 4 would be the one you're after.

Edit: From looking below, I realise I was answering for heroic *raids*, when you might have meant heroic *5-mans*. The latter would be Stage 2.

Interesting, he seems to really like the agi rings/necks, to the point where he likes them better than ones that are itemized for tanks.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Interesting, he seems to really like the agi rings/necks, to the point where he likes them better than ones that are itemized for tanks.

There's discussion about it later in the thread. The magic combination is agility combined with a hefty wodge of mastery (and the assumption that the non-optimal stat will be reforged into dodge or parry).

Because Agility converts to dodge at a much better rate than Strength does to parry, that can result in more overall avoidance and coverage of the combat table than, say, a Strength/Dodge/Expertise one might, even though the latter is *officially* a tank item.

The archetype which I think started this theory was the Earthen Ring, uh, ring:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=62362

The upshot of all this is that I'm waiting very patiently for our DPS to stop wanting the neck from Valiona so I can swoop in.

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

There's discussion about it later in the thread. The magic combination is agility combined with a hefty wodge of mastery (and the assumption that the non-optimal stat will be reforged into dodge or parry).

Because Agility converts to dodge at a much better rate than Strength does to parry, that can result in more overall avoidance and coverage of the combat table than, say, a Strength/Dodge/Expertise one might, even though the latter is *officially* a tank item.

Interesting, when I get some downtime I'll have to read through the thread. I'm assuming he doesn't discount str -> Parry.

I may also have to finish grinding ER to exalted for that ring.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Interesting, when I get some downtime I'll have to read through the thread. I'm assuming he doesn't discount str -> Parry.

From a separate thread on the subject (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=30725&rb_v=viewtopic) :
    AGI provides about 60.9% of the dodge of dodge rating, while STR provides about 25% of the parry of parry rating.

They did factor it in, but AGI's still better.

On a somewhat similar note, that recently alerted me to another significant rep item I hadn't previously considered:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=62468

*TONS* of mastery, and a nice AGI on-use effect.

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I was just coming back to edit my post to indicate he had (I found the portion of the thread where he and theckd were going back and forth over two other rings).

Suffice to say its interesting, and probably not what Blizzard had expected at all. I'll certainly snag the agi items where possible and equip them, but I'm probably not going to fight our hunters over any ring/neck drops in raids.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man pala tanking is just ridonkulus now. Great mitigation, lots of HP and more cooldowns than you can shake a stick at. Went through heroic Halls of Origination and we didn't even cc, we've basicly regressed back to wrath. Pull everything and aoe.

Great utilities on raids too, paladins are friggin epic :D

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Man pala tanking is just ridonkulus now. Great mitigation, lots of HP and more cooldowns than you can shake a stick at. Went through heroic Halls of Origination and we didn't even cc, we've basicly regressed back to wrath. Pull everything and aoe.

Great utilities on raids too, paladins are friggin epic :D

Yep, same. I enjoy tanking as much if not more than DPS'ing lately due to the fact that I can just roll through heroics like they are nothing, with even a mediocre group.

Also the insta-queueing is nice.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've decided to main my Paladin over my Druid (who I took the effort of getting 350 item level... ugh).

Paladins just seem far more fun with to tank. There's an actual rotation and support abilities.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I was just coming back to edit my post to indicate he had (I found the portion of the thread where he and theckd were going back and forth over two other rings).

Suffice to say its interesting, and probably not what Blizzard had expected at all. I'll certainly snag the agi items where possible and equip them, but I'm probably not going to fight our hunters over any ring/neck drops in raids.
    IIRC, paladins get more dodge from agi than warriors (and maybe DKs?), so this does seem like an unintended artifact of the arbitrary agi->crit/dodge conversion rates of yore. I'm curious if they'll ever do anything about it, either by nerfing agi->dodge or stamping down on threat.

forty on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, why doesn't Guardian of the Ancient Kings not reset when you die?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Ok, why doesn't Guardian of the Ancient Kings not reset when you die?

I've been reading this post on and off whenever I look at this thread to see if there's any activity, and I still don't really understand what you're asking for. Which Guardian, or do you mean all specs' version? Why *should* it reset when you die? What do you mean by reset? Despawn the model? Remove the cooldown?

mattclem on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The cooldown.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hrm, looks like in the initial 4.1 patch they want prot paladins to stop spamming WoG on themselves

Word of Glory now has a 20 sec cooldown.

Nobody on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hrm, looks like in the initial 4.1 patch they want prot paladins to stop spamming WoG on themselves

Yeah, fortunately holy mastery removes the cooldown.

I'm more upset about them taking ret and sader aura off aura mastery. No more speed boost :-/

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a pretty stupid wog change, the other tanks already heal more than we do.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    That's a pretty stupid wog change, the other tanks already heal more than we do.
    Druids and warriors do?

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, aren't death knights *balanced* around their huge self-heals?

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes, DKs are designed around healing more because they take more damage, which is why I didn't mention them. It should be understood that DKs heal the most.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

*Fuck* that noise.

EDIT for reason:

To expand: I'm a Ret pally, primarily, and I've spec'd into Selfless Healer because I *like* tossing out "free," Divine-Purpose-powered WoGs, which then trigger Eternal Glory, so I get it back and can toss out another one, before I chain into a TV.

I have saved people doing this.

It is awesome.

Fuck that change.

Elvenshae on
This discussion has been closed.