As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ar tonelico, inserting crystals and NSFW?

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I... I... I don't believe it. Lyner actually died in a battle. A random encounter no less. That was never supposed to happen. I didn't think it was possible to actually lose a character in battle. In my defense, it was an instant death attack but still. How was I supposed to predict that? No enemy has ever had an attack like that before. I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't have destroyed my fingers mashing square to get past that steel door in the Chronicle area. I thought treasure would be behind it, like at the Tenba place with those 2 steel doors. I was very much incorrect in thinking that way.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay guys, late-Phase 2 help needed:
    I need to make a new Ocarina to do a Cosmosphere quest for Misha, but I don't have the necessary ingredients. I went back to an older save and found the Screw, but I have no freaking clue where the Photon Oscilliscope is.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I apologize if this was already mentioned in the thread, but while playing this game did anyone else experience weird choppiness/slowdown in battles? Granted I am only just past the intro, but it made the game annoying enough to where it was almost unplayable. Don't know if it is just me, ps2, disc, or what.

Freakle on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I need to make a new Ocarina to do a Cosmosphere quest for Misha, but I don't have the necessary ingredients. I went back to an older save and found the Screw, but I have no freaking clue where the Photon Oscilliscope is.

Do you have a recipe card for it? I can't remember if that's something you make or not... if it's a single item, I think it's for sale somewhere. First check every shop and get one of every single ingredient you can find. (That always helps down the line anyway.)

And yes, I've had lag issues too.

Like Lyner's lines coming right after his attack.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Freakle wrote: »
    I apologize if this was already mentioned in the thread, but while playing this game did anyone else experience weird choppiness/slowdown in battles? Granted I am only just past the intro, but it made the game annoying enough to where it was almost unplayable. Don't know if it is just me, ps2, disc, or what.

I haven't played it yet, but I've been watching my wife play it. It does seem a little stuttery, but not terribly so.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The images on the front page are broken so I don't know what the fuss is about. :(

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Do you have a recipe card for it? I can't remember if that's something you make or not... if it's a single item, I think it's for sale somewhere. First check every shop and get one of every single ingredient you can find. (That always helps down the line anyway.)

I found it. It's HIDDEN really fiendishly in the Hexagonal Plate area. you have to jump over a wall to find it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really enjoy crafting in WoW and the occasional harem anime/manga. Will these two inclinations translate into enjoying this game?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So wow. I'm 99.9% sure I got my final character.
    Liam O'Brien. Or Ayatane. Whichever.
    That character....... my god. Overpowered does not even begin to describe that character. It's like having a god on your team. However, I fear that because it's so overpowered, I'm near the end of the game. Is this true? If so, I will be sad. For 2 reasons though.
    I still have card packs to buy and I'm disappointed that the 3rd Reyvatail only has 2 outfits. I'm guessing that they'll never just say "Oh hey here you go, some outfits. She got over her shyness." Also, her voice acting sucks in so many ways when you take her into battle. I was laughing for about 2 minutes when she said "For this WORLD!" when a battle started.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I keep the Japanese voices on. I know it makes the innuendo less hilarious, but a few of the voices I can't stand.

Radolf's English VA is pretty nice, actually.

I have no freaking clue how you could buy all the card packs in Phase 3.

(Where can I get an Ionic Saw, anyone?)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I keep the english voices on for Liam O'Brien. His voice is just always awesome. I think the voice actor for Yugi (Dan Green?) is in there too and his voice always makes me think of the Viva Pinata commerical which makes me start laughing. Also, two of Ayano's lines were just hilarious in english.
    One was when you get to Bourd's facility in the Tenba HQ and they ask what was going on and she's all "I dunno." and the other is "I'm sorry my waitress poured scalding hot liquids on you."
    I don't think they quite make up for the horribleness of a line like "For this WORLD!" though. I'm pretty sure ionic saws end up dropping off some enemies. I have like 20 of them. I THINK I got them somewhere in the prism garden but I'm not sure of that at all. Also, it's not very hard to get the money for the cards but the problem is I just spent most of my cash on these stupid recipe cards that cost about 165,000. It was that or 65,000. It's hard to tell with the way the numbers for stock carry over and overlap the actual price. Either way, they're a bunch of bastards. The items weren't even that good but one of them became a talk topic so I guess it was worth it. What's funny about the cards is with the way the numbers for stock carried over, I almost thought the final card packs were 993,000. It was a relief when I saw my mistake though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, I finished it. Thoughts follow.
    The first part of the Mir fight was really difficult. I blame it on that move where Mir randomly fires out different colored shots. 4 hits would kill Krusche and I needed her for cure tablet. I liked the music anyway. One thing though. Was I attacking its scrotum? It sure seemed like that and it was very weird.

Second form was easy but that meteor move was bullshit. Hitting a reyvatail without even needing to charge up? Cheapness. I beat it in like 10 turns though. Also, nekkid :winky: She was pretty loli though. Oh wait this is anime-ish. We can use the point of how she's actually 400. Crisis averted I guess :roll:. What was weird was you only see Mir's art when you do Shurelia's cosmosphere. It was odd that you never see her in non-sprite form outside.

I took Shurelia's ending. Travel the world with Misha? That's lame. Besides, her chest bugs me. It randomly changes sizes depending on the costume and the artwork. In game, her child form looks like she has some chest so she looks not totally young (to me anyway) and her adult form looks a little bigger but in the extra menu, you can see she's almost totally flat in child form so she looks 12 and HOLY JESUS huge in adult. Everytime I looked at her artwork in-game I kept trying to find the lines to define size but I couldn't. It bugged the hell out of me. At least with Shurelia I knew what I was looking at. Besides, Misha was kind of creepy big in adult form. Like Claire or Ayano. Also, you apparently get a "costume" for Shurelia in the extra menu if you get her ending. Too bad she never uses them outside the cosmosphere.

A few plot points still bug me though. Was there any way to find Krusche's friend? You get a cut-scene about it when you go to that Dragon's Den place but I never actually found him. Also, what was up with Ayatane leaving to go find Mir in the ending? He goes and just comes back? He doesn't bring Mir? Nobody even asks where he went. I guess he was getting her thoughts for the song?

Overall, I enjoyed the game and I still have some stuff to do. I still have some pictures in the gallery to get and I'm interested in the Aurica path. I'll probably start that later this week.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm stuck in the stupid church library in Phase 3.
    I read the column of the correct diary entry vertically just like I was told.

Bookshelf something something. Makes no sense to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I also got stuck there for a bit. You need to look around the library some more for a hidden entrance if I remember correctly. Go back towards the beginning where the library turns 90 degrees left to the different rooms with books and the final room with a chest. If I remember correctly, you need to (at that turn) go into the corner and search that bookshelf. It should lead to a longer room which leads to the password your character needs.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

I also got stuck there for a bit. You need to look around the library some more for a hidden entrance if I remember correctly. Go back towards the beginning where the library turns 90 degrees left to the different rooms with books and the final room with a chest. If I remember correctly, you need to (at that turn) go into the corner and search that bookshelf. It should lead to a longer room which leads to the password your character needs.
    Seriously, that "puzzle" made absolutely no sense. Here's a specific diary entry! That obviously means to go as far away from that entry as possible and instead search the bottom right corner of the very long room to find a secret path not on the map. That took me about 10 minutes to figure out and it was random. I just decided to go along the walls mashing X to see if I missed a book.

Oh yeah, I just watched the OVA.
    It was pretty pointless, but Radolf is kicking some serious ass at the beginning. Basically it starts out with Lyner's ship crashing and Aurica noticing him. She goes to help him but he actually wakes up as she's healing him this time. They talk and stuff and then OH SHIT his airship falls again with them in it. After 2 pointless Aurica panty-shots and a boob bounce (which Lyner never notices because he's Lyner), they land in Firefly Alley. Also, you see Misha in a window notice them fall. That's basically all you'll see of Misha. Lyner and Aurica go around Firefly Alley looking for an engineer and eventually find Krusche who has the ship. She wants money and he doesn't have any. Then all of a sudden the dragon that shot his airship appears. He leads it back to Krusche and they fly away. Lyner had told Aurica earlier she could run and thanks for the help but she snuck onto the ship. After an epic duel in the Blastline, the ship crashes again and it heads back to Firefly Alley. We see Misha one more time hoping it's Lyner and that's the end.
    Really, the best part was Radolf and the fact that some of the game music is spliced in at points. Also, Firefly Alley looks much more crowded than in the game. The animation is pretty nice as well. I was afraid it would be much more fanservicey than it was considering how short Aurica's dress is but they actually avoided the temptation. I'm disappointed by the lack of characters though. Misha was barely in it, Radolf was in it a little more than her, Jack wasn't at all, and since it started after Lyner left, no Ayatane or Shurelia. Overall, you could watch it without playing the game and have nothing spoiled and it may be better that way because then you won't be disappointed at the lack of characters. It was only 24 minutes long anyway so they worked with what they had. It was a nice side-story though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    OVA? Is that on the game disc?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I need some help. I've climbed up the tower and met the Teru tribe, and they need me to make an item for them. But I need to make a cute bottle to complete the item. I have the recipe, but I need the grass to make it. Where can I get that grass?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I need some help. I've climbed up the tower and met the Teru tribe, and they need me to make an item for them. But I need to make a cute bottle to complete the item. I have the recipe, but I need the grass to make it. Where can I get that grass?

It's an item dropped by monsters. I'm not sure where exactly it's dropped, but the Temple is as good a start as any.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    OVA? Is that on the game disc?

Unfortunately not. Disappointing but there's quite a few groups who have subbed it and it's not too hard to find. I think the game being released upped the popularity of it. It would've been nice to have it in the extra's menu but it probably had licensing issues and it would've been a hassle to dub it over in english.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, it seems to be something fansubbed.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The OVA for Ar tonelico was released on March 22, 2006. The OVA follows for the most part the first few hours of game play; the end of the OVA does not represent any part of the game aside from battle mechanics. The OVA also shows just the adventure side of the story, leaving out most of the romantic and drama aspects of the game.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it's the nyo grass, you have to fight any type of pom for it, the temple should have pink poms there.

One thing that might help in the future as well, apparently, when you make an item, you can buy the item from a certain shop (it varies which one carries it but it is constant from game to game) if you need more and don't have the ingredients. I try to make any recipes I get so in case I need it in the future, I can either hunt for the materials or check all the shops to see who is selling it.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man, finally beat the game... now I have to go back and do the Aurica version. :P

A few questions about real late-game stuff:
    In the costumes gallery, it says there's a way to turn Misha back to her small form. How does one do this? I was disappointed I couldn't use that extra costume I unlocked. :P

Also, is the song that plays when you clear a Cosmosphere level in the music section of Extras and I just missed it, or is it not included? I really liked that song...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man, finally beat the game... now I have to go back and do the Aurica version. :P

In the costumes gallery, it says there's a way to turn Misha back to her small form. How does one do this? I was disappointed I couldn't use that extra costume I unlocked. :P

Also, is the song that plays when you clear a Cosmosphere level in the music section of Extras and I just missed it, or is it not included? I really liked that song...
    To get kid Misha back, you have to walk all the way back to that one lab Bourd had where he separated her from her song. When you do it, go rest at the save right by it and then make her big again and then rest and then small and then rest. You should get some talk topics about how she can change sizes.

I also really loved that song but I'm not sure if that part is in there. Mostly because it's just a sample of another. That music is actually the grathmeld music.

Finally, did you get Shurelia's last song? I'm doing that right now. Once I finish it, I'll also start my Aurica path. It's annoying to get it though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

To get kid Misha back, you have to walk all the way back to that one lab Bourd had where he separated her from her song. When you do it, go rest at the save right by it and then make her big again and then rest and then small and then rest. You should get some talk topics about how she can change sizes.

I also really loved that song but I'm not sure if that part is in there. Mostly because it's just a sample of another. That music is actually the grathmeld music.

Finally, did you get Shurelia's last song? I'm doing that right now. Once I finish it, I'll also start my Aurica path. It's annoying to get it though.
    Well then, what is the grathmeld music called? :P

And yes, I got Shurelia's final song. Silver Horn, right?

Didn't get all of Misha or Aruica's songs, though. :(

And I hate that they don't show you all the cards, only the ones you got- I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO FIND THEM ALL!!!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

Well then, what is the grathmeld music called? :P

And yes, I got Shurelia's final song. Silver Horn, right?

Didn't get all of Misha or Aruica's songs, though. :(

And I hate that they don't show you all the cards, only the ones you got- I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO FIND THEM ALL!!!
    I have no idea what the grathmeld music is called. I'll check next time I turn on the game.

Silver Horn is not the final song. The true final song is Child of Light. You have to go back to the plasma bell where you fought Mei Mei's sister and she'll be up and running. You have to fight her 5 more times but each time you fight, she gets stronger and you have to completely leave the area and go back to the world map to challenge her again. Annoying as hell but you'll make a lot of money going in and out of the area so you'll be able to buy cards.

I also wish I at least knew what number the cards ended at. I think there's 28 person cards though and the second to last pack only gives person cards. So that helps. Everything else though is a crapshoot.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh god, I thought I was more or less finished with this game, since I probably wouldn't do Aurica's story immediately. Now you tell me I have to do something that'll take several more hours? D:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well unless you're super under-levelled, it shouldn't take several hours. It took me about 2 and a half but that's only because it takes forever to leave the plasma bell and come back. I was also doing stuff like diving to increase song magic usage and buying card packs so I spent a little more time in town. I finished everything this playthrough though at about level 85. Just beware of one thing.
    After the second time fighting it, the attack to hit the reyvatail it uses is basically instant death. My Lyner has the best armor and 7000 HP or so and he only survives thanks to the Guts thing. He's left with 1 hp. What I did though was put weaken attack on energy ball, hit her 3 times, use it to charge up the bar so I could do stronger attacks, and then when I could sing really fast, I used Tower Connection and got it to the final level. That's usually enough to win as long as her GD resistance or whatever they call it is at level 3.
    You might get lucky though and fight a Sera in the plasma bell. It's a rare enemy but if you get the bar full for the best rewards, it drops a star tiara which is used in the Royal Crown armor for a reyvatail. That recipe bugged me for so long because I never got the stupid tiara but I got one on my way out for the final time. I was so happy.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well the creator says it's not complete but it's a good guideline so here it is, straight from the depths of gamefaqs. I braved the water monsters and the wall spiders to get this so you guys better appreciate it. A list of talk topics as well as all the missable ones!

http://members.shaw.ca/retrustg/temp/AR_TONELICO.pdf

It lists the 3rd reyvatail so anyone who doesn't know who it is yet, don't read past Aurica or Misha. Also, you can't get all topics in one playthrough because not only are there some exclusive to the Aurica and Misha paths, but one topic requires completely finishing Aurica and Misha before the 3rd and another requires finishing the 3rd before Aurica and Misha.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok. I'm stuck in phase 3.
    I went to the church and Radolf said we should go to the singing hill. I've been all over the place except on the top level there's a room with a save point, the stairs down to the left, and the map says there's a path to the right, but I can't find it or blow anything up to open it. The map is Singing Hill B2

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Ok. I'm stuck in phase 3.
    I went to the church and Radolf said we should go to the singing hill. I've been all over the place except on the top level there's a room with a save point, the stairs down to the left, and the map says there's a path to the right, but I can't find it or blow anything up to open it. The map is Singing Hill B2
    For that part of the game, I'm pretty sure all you need to do is go to those locations and have Shurelia talk to you. Shurelia said something when you first went there right? That's all you needed. Just keep going to more towns and getting more locations to go to. That part of the game is a little confusing because you have no idea where the hell to go. You should do enough to activate Tastiella appearing at the Temple Grounds which leads to the Chronicle for your choice of continuing or getting the bad ending and then you should be able to head back to the Observatory because the airship was fixed. Then you talk to Mei Mei and she sets you on the right path for the rest of the game.

Gilder on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, is this game worth getting? I'm not exactly keen on playing it in front of my family so there is going to be some emulation action in the very distant future instead. Basically, I'm thinking of getting it earlier so it doesn't dissapear on me and finally playing it sometime in the future. Also, Europe.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Easy, but fun. The battle system's unique, I like the cast, and the cosmosphere drama is interesting.

It isn't as open-ended as I hoped(I thought there'd be more choices and less linearity), but the personalities make them interesting still.

Don't go into it expecting an epic or anything, it's a fun time-killer RPG. Not exactly cookie cutter, but it sure isn't Grandia II either.

Also, great music, which is always bonus.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes, I wish the soundtrack was available for purchase.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it actually is. Along with the three Reyvateil albums full of awesome.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Strifer wrote: »

There is one soundtrack for Misha and one for Aurica, along with the regular soundtrack.

But that's in JAPAN.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Strifer wrote: »

There is one soundtrack for Misha and one for Aurica, along with the regular soundtrack.

But that's in JAPAN.

I think the third reyvatail soundtrack Strifer was mentioning is one with Claire on the cover, in addition to Aurica and Misha.

http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=KDSD-10018

4 soundtracks for one game? That's beyond milking something. I like the music in the game, especially the weird chanting in the special Hymn songs, but to get all those soundtracks would be 100 bucks or so. No game has music that good.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ouch. Yes.

I just want that music from clearing cosmospheres.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I want the epic battle music that's played against fights with the viruses. Those tracks were amazing.

They aren't all in the sound test either...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've nearly finished one playthrough and the only complaint I have is how annoying the random encounters are when you're backtracking in a lower level area. Maybe I should just stock up on the piggies.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I want the epic battle music that's played against fights with the viruses. Those tracks were amazing.

They aren't all in the sound test either...

Not even in the Hymn Concert section? That would be more for the big boss music stuff though. I guess if they included everything, nobody would buy the soundtrack.

Gilder on