As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a remake of Dark Alliance actually.
    The first one was a decent game.
    Let's talk mods for Baldurs Gate 1 and 2.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    In other news, Skalds are hilariously powerful in BG1 and I am instantly regretting making Garrick a Jester instead of one. At levels 1-2, just the +2 to-hit alone is massive, doubling or even tripling your chance to hit.

Though I haven't run into many opportunities to test Jester yet, so maybe "save vs. magic at a +4 bonus or be confused" is better at low levels than it looks.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Maybe the poor lad hit "S2" instead of "C" on his keyboard. Maybe it was all a simple misunderstanding. A typo! Let's just go with that. D:

Now I want to play Dark Alliance again goddammit.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »

Dark Alliance was a shit-ton of fun with two players. Dissapointed by its sequel though.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Seriously though, I have never been more bored in my life than when I played Dark Alliance. It is literally the most boring game I've ever played.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Themadcow wrote: »
    I used to play the shit out of the first and second on the PS2 and am so pumped for this

I'm almost tempted to post this as my own comment over on RPGcodex.

Doooooo eeeeeeeeet!

• Options
    Jester kit tested. Verdict: Even in BG1 it still kind of sucks, though not for the reasons it sucks in BG2. The range on the confuse song is short enough that the Confusion AI will as likely to keep attacking you as it is to make it turn on its allies, rendering it more or less moot. You may as well be doing nothing at all.

Shame, since BG1 is the only level range where enemies who aren't complete and utter fodder can really fail Magic +4 saves reliably.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Gosh, I remember back in the day, I think I was haunting the game's main forums back then... some guy attempted to solo BG1 as a Jester.

He got pretty far too, as I remember.

• Options
    Right. So I installed this Tutu mod, and the mod that lets me play at 1920x1080.
    Before I get too invested in this character, can someone tell me if this character is good to go?
    7bFBP.jpg

• Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    meh. I'm young. oh well...................

SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    I will say that he does look like a Jacob.

Also, stats look good, though his Wisdom might sting a bit if you carry him into BG2.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

Dark Alliance was a shit-ton of fun with two players. Dissapointed by its sequel though.

I played the whole game in a few sittings with a friend. By far the funniest thing about Dark Alliance was that jumping moved you faster than simply running. This meant that between fights we were both constantly spamming the jump button to go faster than the other.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

I played the whole game in a few sittings with a friend. By far the funniest thing about Dark Alliance was that jumping moved you faster than simply running. This meant that between fights we were both constantly spamming the jump button to go faster than the other.

I do that in every game that lets me anyway, I loved it in that game especially

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I will say that he does look like a Jacob.

Also, stats look good, though his Wisdom might sting a bit if you carry him into BG2.

Of course he does. That is my name. :P
    Is his Wisdom too low or too high?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rule of thumb: there's not really such a thing as "too high" in D&D for one of the six stats if you're a player talking about your own character.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    My character design philosophy revolves around one idea: If it's not at 18, it's too low.

• Options
    18 is too low for strength.

Which brings me to the worst part of Baldur's Gate: rolling stats for a fighter. Fucking terrible. In 2, you can settle for a shitty roll and then just get a strength boosting item up into the 20s. In 1, its easier to just not play a fighter.

I guess you could cheat, but whatever, I've never done that.

Also, I've never rolled higher than 18/18/18/15/10/10, not sure if its even possible, but those stats are overkill for most classes anyway.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I recall the "best" way to powergame yourself silly is rerolling until you can get every stat but charisma to 18, and leaving charisma at 3 in bg1, then simply import your character repeatedly after rushing for the charisma boosting book, getting it to 25 before proceeding with the game because why not.

Might as well cheat if you do that though :P.

• Options
    LavokLavok Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I usually just use the ctrl-8 which allows me to basically set the stats however I want them, though I usually put some sort of limit on how many points total I can have. Yeah, it's cheap, but I hate re-rolling over and over and over again. The only downside is that I can't set strength to 18 on non-warrior classes but whatever.

Lavok on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    korodullin wrote: »
    Jester kit tested. Verdict: Even in BG1 it still kind of sucks, though not for the reasons it sucks in BG2. The range on the confuse song is short enough that the Confusion AI will as likely to keep attacking you as it is to make it turn on its allies, rendering it more or less moot. You may as well be doing nothing at all.

Shame, since BG1 is the only level range where enemies who aren't complete and utter fodder can really fail Magic +4 saves reliably.

The song eventually slows and stuns. Enemies have to pass the check every single round. You can use it while invisible. It bypasses magic resistance every single magical protection that isn't a straight out immunity. They also loose the +4 part in the vanilla game, iric, but don't quote me on that specific. (It's hard for me to remember because I always run avenger's Rogue Rebalancing which changes up Thieves and Bards up a bit.)

So yeah. Jesters are awesome. (So are Skalds, don't get me wrong. Though I don't like vanilla Blades or normal Bards without mods.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

The song eventually slows and stuns. Enemies have to pass the check every single round. You can use it while invisible. It bypasses magic resistance every single magical protection that isn't a straight out immunity. They also loose the +4 part in the vanilla game, iric, but don't quote me on that specific. (It's hard for me to remember because I always run avenger's Rogue Rebalancing which changes up Thieves and Bards up a bit.)

So yeah. Jesters are awesome. (So are Skalds, don't get me wrong. Though I don't like vanilla Blades or normal Bards without mods.)

vagrant_winds beat me to the punch here, but yeah, I'll reiterate: jesters (and all bards) are godly in BG. Invis singing on a jester is ridiculously good. Especially if you abuse project image and get multiple singing images, though that is most definitely a bug.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Heh, pretty much all that good stuff you just mentioned about Jester song only really occurs in Rogue Rebalancing. Without it, it's forever nothing but "save against Magic +4 or be confused" and at a fairly short range.

Under most circumstances I'd be using Rogue Rebalancing (I've used it before in just BG2 and enjoyed it... mostly), but both Gibberlings III's and Spellhold Studios' sites are a clusterfuck right now, and literally half of RR's readme is nowhere to be found because the extended descriptions of all the components aren't found in the offline readme, only the broken online one. As a rule, I tend to not install things whose readmes aren't... welll... readable.

Edit: Ah, there's local copies of the sub-component readmes anyway. I'll consider it, but I'm already iffy about doing it, if only because I'd have to restart my game (again) and I'd have to manually uninstall half of my mod list and change my install order around to accommodate it alone.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Especially if you abuse project image and get multiple singing images, though that is most definitely a bug.

A one man choir. Nice. I love these games. There's always some trick or skill/magic combo I haven't heard of yet.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I am really digging the Full Plate and Packing Steel mod from Gibberling. It adds % resistances to every armor and changes the AC. The biggest change is the feeling from combat. No longer will you run into an ogre and get squashed by 20 damage straight up. It also works the other way, so you change tactics to gank up on weaker targets while you disable the tough targets.

However, I am a little worried how the game will turn out as I progress. I am using a Monk character, and in this mod belts grant +AC AND % resistance towards X resistance type (Belt of Blunt, +3 AC and 20% crushing resistance). Normally the trade off of using heavy armor and resistances is lower DEX, attack speed and movement speed, but these aren't added to magical belts/other stuff. Furthermore, my monk AC keeps lowering after every 3rd level.

At some point I'm going to have a MORE nigh invulnerable monk than vanilla BG :O

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote: »
    Especially if you abuse project image and get multiple singing images, though that is most definitely a bug.

A one man choir. Nice. I love these games. There's always some trick or skill/magic combo I haven't heard of yet.

Project image is one of the cheesiest spells in the game, particularly on a sorcerer or wizard. Get a chain contingency, fill it with three project image spells, set it to cast when helpless. Then cast project image. You now have four images (instead of the usual max of one), all of which can cast your entire spellbook. You can also bypass the no attacking rule of images by shapeshifting them into something. Four shapeshifted illithids attacking a single target during a timestop? It's just as brutal as you might think. You can also really abuse Sunfire's mechanics that way. Sunfire works by giving you a very brief moment of fire invulnerability and then casting a fireball-like projectile on you. This means you can coordinate four sunfires at once from these images, and they won't take any damage from them. The possibilities are pretty ridiculous.

• Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote: »

Project image is one of the cheesiest spells in the game, particularly on a sorcerer or wizard. Get a chain contingency, fill it with three project image spells, set it to cast when helpless. Then cast project image. You now have four images (instead of the usual max of one), all of which can cast your entire spellbook. You can also bypass the no attacking rule of images by shapeshifting them into something. Four shapeshifted illithids attacking a single target during a timestop? It's just as brutal as you might think. You can also really abuse Sunfire's mechanics that way. Sunfire works by giving you a very brief moment of fire invulnerability and then casting a fireball-like projectile on you. This means you can coordinate four sunfires at once from these images, and they won't take any damage from them. The possibilities are pretty ridiculous.

:shock:

Welp, time to add a cheese-ball wizard run to my gaming queue.

• Options
    deadstickdeadstick Registered User regular
    I've been scanning this thread for awhile, and I don't think I've seen it answered yet - but what is the recommended installs for having BG + BG:TotSC + BG2 + BG2:ToB all-in-one and what are some recommended mods?

I've set up Baldur's Gate Trilogy, with BG1 Unfinished Business & BG2 Unfinished Business, the Baldurdash fixes and some other mods that seem to change a lot of the gameplay rules but I'm not sure if I should scrap those and re-install. I'm looking for as close an experience to vanilla Baldur's Gate 2, with additional content (ie: completion of broken quests), though gameplay fixes and improvement recommendations are welcome!

Steam ID deadstick Battlelog D3ADST1CK
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    deadstick wrote: »
    I've been scanning this thread for awhile, and I don't think I've seen it answered yet - but what is the recommended installs for having BG + BG:TotSC + BG2 + BG2:ToB all-in-one and what are some recommended mods?

I've set up Baldur's Gate Trilogy, with BG1 Unfinished Business & BG2 Unfinished Business, the Baldurdash fixes and some other mods that seem to change a lot of the gameplay rules but I'm not sure if I should scrap those and re-install. I'm looking for as close an experience to vanilla Baldur's Gate 2, with additional content (ie: completion of broken quests), though gameplay fixes and improvement recommendations are welcome!

First off, lose anything with Baldurdash in the name if you plan on using BGT. Pretty much everything Baldurdash did has since been superseded by the Fixpack and/or Tweak Pack.

Second, as far as I can tell you're pretty much good to go as far as just the basic game stuff with BGT is concerned.

If you're just wanting something close to vanilla BG2, I wouldn't grab much more than Unfinished Business, the BG2 Tweak Pack, BG Fixpack, and BGT Tweaks alongside BGT. Spell Revisions is also nice, does everything Baldurdash's spell fixes did, and more. It does remove a lot of spell cheese, though. Rogue Rebalancing, mentioned earlier, is also nice. If you are wanting to keep it kind of close to vanilla BG2, you may want to only install the first seven components ("Proper dual-wielding...", "Thief kit revisions", "Thief HLA revisions", "Proper racial adjustments...", "Bard Kit revisions", "Bard HLA revisions", and "Proper spell progression for Bards") while skipping the rest. As far as additional content goes, someone else will have to give suggestions since most of the quest addon packs that aren't simply restoring commented/cut content that I've seen simply aren't very good; the exception is Ascension, but if you haven't played Throne of Bhall through at least once, I would hold off on it. If you're not very experienced with BG2, I'd skip a lot of the super-heavy rules-changing stuff like Divine Remix, SCS, Tactics, et al.

But a thing to keep in mind is install order. If you use the Fixpack, it must be installed first, before anything else, even BGT. Failure to do that will render the BG1 portion of BGT unplayable. The two Tweak packs should also ideally be installed as close to the end of your list as possible - I personally install BGTTweaks after the BG2 Tweak Pack, but I don't think order really matters. Just pay very close attention to them since they do the same things every so often, and you will probably want to hit "No" on something BGTTweaks does that the Tweak Pack already installed.

Spell Revisions and Unfinished Business should be fine to be installed anywhere, provided they're after both the Fixpack and BGT and before the tweak stuff.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    deadstick wrote: »

Take a look at this list before installing so you get the correct installation order.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Of course, that above list only applies if you're using Tutu, and not BGT.

Edit: Also, does anyone have any experience with the new Store Revisions component of Item Revisions? There's little documentation on it that I can find that's not buried deep in a thread dozens of pages long and I'm struggling to find the point of using it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    You know, I never did play BG1.

It has been thirteen years, and I still haven't played it.

I feel like I've done myself a terrible disservice.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    If you've played BG2 and thought "You know what would be cool, if the most terrifying things in this game were packs of kobolds and spiders", then you will enjoy BG1.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That, that actually would be kinda cool.

I never got to experience the true horror of small woodland creatures.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    You have never been so afraid of the common wolf as when you are playing BG1.

• Options
    Its worth playing. Its a different experience than 2. They are different enough games that it doesn't feel like you're playing a worse version of the same game. Its more of a dungeon crawler. You just wander around and explore woods and mines and stuff. Its unfair, impossible to beat unless you know how to game the D&D system, and generally dickish, but a fun game.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In the past couple of days I have had bears one-shot a 17-CON fighter at level 1. That gets really, really tiresome.

And yeah, spiders are some of the most brutal BG1 enemies. "Improved" spiders is the one SCS1 addon I will never, ever install. I installed it once, thinking: "Oh how hard could it be?" Then I went into Cloakwood and my party got brutalized by three Web-spamming spiders, never getting in a single action while they were all picked apart. I eventually had to have someone with some item (boots I think?) that conferred immunity to Web and had that one person kill every spider I could find. It took forever. After that, I never installed it again. I don't even install the BG2 version of it, just in case it'll bleed over back into BG1.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I've only played through BG1 once.
    BG2? Five or so times.

=\

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I've only beaten BG1 twice, I believe. Maybe three times? I don't remember.

I've beaten Shadows of Amn more times than I can remember, but I think I've only gone through ToB in its entirety maybe twice?

I tend to start losing interest in BG1 playthroughs when I get to Baldur's Gate itself; in BG2 I start to get that "man I kind of want to try <different character class>" itch right around the Underdark. If it hits in ToB, it's usually around the time to start plugging away at Sendai's.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ToB feels like later Bioware releases. I never bother with it. Its linear as fuck, and after completing SoA, I can't be bothered with the expansion's silly story.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    deadstickdeadstick Registered User regular
    First off, lose anything with Baldurdash in the name if you plan on using BGT. Pretty much everything Baldurdash did has since been superseded by the Fixpack and/or Tweak Pack.

Second, as far as I can tell you're pretty much good to go as far as just the basic game stuff with BGT is concerned.

If you're just wanting something close to vanilla BG2, I wouldn't grab much more than Unfinished Business, the BG2 Tweak Pack, BG Fixpack, and BGT Tweaks alongside BGT. Spell Revisions is also nice, does everything Baldurdash's spell fixes did, and more. It does remove a lot of spell cheese, though. Rogue Rebalancing, mentioned earlier, is also nice. If you are wanting to keep it kind of close to vanilla BG2, you may want to only install the first seven components ("Proper dual-wielding...", "Thief kit revisions", "Thief HLA revisions", "Proper racial adjustments...", "Bard Kit revisions", "Bard HLA revisions", and "Proper spell progression for Bards") while skipping the rest. As far as additional content goes, someone else will have to give suggestions since most of the quest addon packs that aren't simply restoring commented/cut content that I've seen simply aren't very good; the exception is Ascension, but if you haven't played Throne of Bhall through at least once, I would hold off on it. If you're not very experienced with BG2, I'd skip a lot of the super-heavy rules-changing stuff like Divine Remix, SCS, Tactics, et al.

But a thing to keep in mind is install order. If you use the Fixpack, it must be installed first, before anything else, even BGT. Failure to do that will render the BG1 portion of BGT unplayable. The two Tweak packs should also ideally be installed as close to the end of your list as possible - I personally install BGTTweaks after the BG2 Tweak Pack, but I don't think order really matters. Just pay very close attention to them since they do the same things every so often, and you will probably want to hit "No" on something BGTTweaks does that the Tweak Pack already installed.

Spell Revisions and Unfinished Business should be fine to be installed anywhere, provided they're after both the Fixpack and BGT and before the tweak stuff.

I've completed BG1 + BG2 + ToB before and I am simply looking for a way to play though BG1, BG2 and the expansions in a seamless way with whatever fixes are available since I haven't played any of them in awhile. I don't want to go too deep into modding the game and veering off from the core experience which is why I'm avoiding things like DSotC. I was going to go with Tutu, but then I read that Tutu is simply a way to play BG1 in the BG2 engine while the BGT mod will seamlessly carry me over into BG2, so I went with that.

Are there any advantages to using Tutu over BGT?

Steam ID deadstick Battlelog D3ADST1CK