Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    [DF Folder]/Data/Save/[Region that you want to copy]

Copy that whole region folder, that is your save.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    VerdianVerdian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Holy fuck, I finally realized that if you make a bed a room, the dwarves will claim it without you needing to assign them.

This will save me like an hour per fort, jesus christ.
    What? Really?! Well damn, does it actually get assigned as if you assigned it to them? And do they still get happy thoughts from the room? That would be great.

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It does get assigned if you assign it to them. It also is much faster to just do it yourself as they take FOREVER to claim a room and will sleep in random places until then, including stealing other rooms that haven't been assigned yet to camp out in. (but not claim.)

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks a million, sure I'll be making frequent use of that in the near future

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It does work eventually, but it doesn't work that well. You will see dwarves without assigned bedrooms sleeping in other people's beds, Goldilocks-style.

It was kind of hilarious to see how frequently my dwarves without assigned beds would just wander into the manager's Royal Bedroom and crash in his bed rather than choosing one of their own. He was usually just standing there, two tiles away... watching. Creepy.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish it was possible to assign beds (and desks/chairs/etc) to noble positions rather than by name. It's a pain going to the mayor's rooms after every election and reassigning them, or to other noble's when they die/get switched out.

Suriko on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    I wish it was possible to assign beds (and desks/chairs/etc) to noble positions rather than by name. It's a pain going to the mayor's rooms after every election and reassigning them, or to other noble's when they die/get switched out.

A simple locking door/flooding/drainage system can clean out the old inhabitants whenever an election is held.

Alternatively carve all the furniture out of bauxite blocks, and you know what to do after that :D

override367 on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    I think the whole "losing is fun" thing would be more true if it didn't take like three days played time doing nothing to get a reasonable dwarf populatiob

Three days? What?

I started a fort this morning and am up to 80.. it'd be higher if I didn't cap at that.

A shortage of dwarfs is one problem this game has never had.

how? it takes me hours between each wave of immigrants!

Seconded. I've spend days on this thing and I still have 7 dwarves.
    True, a lot of that time I had the game paused or was reading the wiki. But I'm starting to suspect that the game is running as slow as shit on my PC and I never realised.

How many hours does an in-game year take, normally?

Tig on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In my experience, maybe 2, but that's with liberal pausing, wiki-ing and planning. Might be less.

At least, that was with the old version. You should turn on the framerate and get an idea of what's going on.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little unclear on the migrant stuff too... I'm playing 40d and I've got around 30-40 dwarves already yet my fort is pretty small.

Heres a theory. One of the first things i did was dig a staircase about 10 levels down, build a small room there with intention to build a farm, then proceeded a floodgate scheme from a nearby river to drain some water down into that area to create a muddy floor. My main level was still relatively small. Maybe the number of z levels down has something to do with population growth.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My theory is that it's mostly based on created health relative to the previous year/season (mined areas count as created health). Artifacts tend to trigger massive migrant waves, as do huge engraving projects. But dwarf health seems to play a role too, or at least injuries and deaths have a way of repelling migrants. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall happiness level in the fort were a factor too.

But there's definitely a large random element involved as well.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The first couple years it's not really random.. you tend to get a relatively small wave for the first one, which should put you at 15-20 dwarfs. This first wave usually shows up in the fall. The following spring/summer you'll get a massive wave which can easily push you to 40 dwarfs.

From then on it takes into account how many dwarfs are dying and how much wealth you're producing. Lots of deaths pushes down migrant numbers, mass wealth pushes it up.

xzzy on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Even when I was deliberately screwing over my fort by flooding it, repeatedly building depots and then undermining them, etc, I was still getting migrant waves of at least three people every season, regular as clockwork.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Huh I don't think I've ever had migrants come every season. More like 1 - 2 times a year.

I just get big migrant waves.

In DF2010, I've had a wave of ~20 migrants before the first dwarven caravan had arrived, quadrupling my population.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My fortress is down to 25-30 fps... I've started project "Get rid of all the extra bloody stone" on the assumption that the items are the problem (although fortress population is also up to around 130, which I'm sure isn't helping. Maybe I need to practice some accelerated Darwinism... I have a chamber linked by floodgate to the magma sea that could serve quite nicely) but it's taking forever since the two main portions of the fort are split across 50 z-levels.

I may just mount an attack on the three walled off forgotten beasts and see if the fort survives. My military is poorly trained, but pretty well equipped. The commander has an artifact Adamantine spear (which is engraved with an image of itself. And dwarves carved out of puppy bone.) - I'm guessing that the restriction on only champions getting to use artifact equipment got lifted in this version, since he seemed to have no problem grabbing it out of the weapon stockpile when I assigned it.

Also - these dwarves breed like fucking rabbits!

dopplex on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still have no fucking clue what I'm doing, and I might follow that other thread's instructions to make it not the matrix, but I love this game. This is exactly the kind of game I've always wanted. So awesome.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm confused. On the status (z) screen it says I have 10 drink, but if I enter kitchen from there I have two entries for dwarven wine, one with 10 and the other with 46. What's up with that?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm confused. On the status (z) screen it says I have 10 drink, but if I enter kitchen from there I have two entries for dwarven wine, one with 10 and the other with 46. What's up with that?

I've noticed the same inconsistency between Stocks and Kitchen. It might be that the stocks window doesn't list items that have hauling jobs assigned to them, dunno.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dopplex wrote: »
    My fortress is down to 25-30 fps... I've started project "Get rid of all the extra bloody stone" on the assumption that the items are the problem (although fortress population is also up to around 130, which I'm sure isn't helping.

I was able to increase my FPS by almost 10 by atom smashing almost 1000 stones and hundreds of portions of excess food. It took my dwarves a full season to haul all the stuff to the atom smasher, and in the end I had a tantruming legendary cook because apparently some of the meals I destroyed were his masterpieces, but it was all worth it.

I also walled off part of my unnecessarily large engraved meeting hall, which may have helped a little too.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Extreme UnctionExtreme Unction Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here now, a CRUCIAL pro-tip for all you DF n00bs out there.

Hit the "n" key. Use the up and down keys to highlight the Bookkeeper. Hit "s". Use the up and down keys to select "Maximum accuracy" or whatever it is the thing says.

Now build a small office for your bookkeeper. Doesn't need to be any bigger than 1x2. Just big enough to hold a chair and a table. Hit "q" and move the cursor to the chair. Designate the room as a study, and assign the chair to your bookkeeper.

This will (eventually, once your Bookkeeper has spent enough time poring over the accounts) remove all the uncertain numbers like "20?" or whatever in your "z" Stocks screen, and will tell you exactly what you have in your fortress.

I know this is how it works in 40d, and I assume it works the same in v31.

Extreme Unction on
    Have you found yourself reading Dwarf Fortress threads and thinking to yourself "Gosh! I would love to play this game! But the default ASCII graphics make me want to claw my eyes out and pour quartic ammonia into the bloody, empty sockets!"?

Well today may be your lucky day...
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm looking in the wiki but I don't know what it would be called, but how do I build a big door for my fort? My main entrance is wide open; it's more of a cave than a fort at this point.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm looking in the wiki but I don't know what it would be called, but how do I build a big door for my fort? My main entrance is wide open; it's more of a cave than a fort at this point.

Draw bridges can function as doors.. sort of. You gotta hook them up to a lever to open and close it. But it lets you seal a hall up to 10 tiles wide, so it does have some advantages over a normal door.

Only megabeasts can smash draw bridges, will easily keep goblins and those sorts at bay. Putting in a moat, only has to be one tile deep, will also keep megabeasts out. In that event, only flying megabeasts can break in.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Draw bridges can function as doors.. sort of. You gotta hook them up to a lever to open and close it. But it lets you seal a hall up to 10 tiles wide, so it does have some advantages over a normal door.

Only megabeasts can smash draw bridges, will easily keep goblins and those sorts at bay. Putting in a moat, only has to be one tile deep, will also keep megabeasts out. In that event, only flying megabeasts can break in.
    It does get assigned if you assign it to them. It also is much faster to just do it yourself as they take FOREVER to claim a room and will sleep in random places until then, including stealing other rooms that haven't been assigned yet to camp out in. (but not claim.)

It does take a while, but I find that infinitely preferably to assigning 100+ beds by hand (which is usually when I start my mass bedroom project)

Make sure you make it a "raise" bridge not retractable. This can be done by using ther WADX keys while creating the building.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It is not possible for you to make what you're thinking of in a way that your d0rfs can automatically go through while enemies can't.

As mentioned above, you can use a drawbridge to achieve some of the same effect, but when it's closed, any d0rfs that happen to be outside are locked out as well as any bad guys. And all the other d0rfs are locked in.

Extreme Unction on
    Have you found yourself reading Dwarf Fortress threads and thinking to yourself "Gosh! I would love to play this game! But the default ASCII graphics make me want to claw my eyes out and pour quartic ammonia into the bloody, empty sockets!"?

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Calling them "dwarfs" or "dwarves" isn't good enough anymore? Now we gotta put numbers in there?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Calling them "dwarfs" or "dwarves" isn't good enough anymore? Now we gotta put numbers in there?

The word "d0rf" amuses me.

Extreme Unction on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Could my wine being in the kitchen cause it not to be counted in the status screen?

I just found out that I need pig tails to make cloth, which I need to make bags, which I need to not make every single plumb helmet spawn take up an entire square. Problem is I don't have any pig tails or pig tail seeds. How can I get those or another way to make cloth/bags?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I've never had any luck with elven caravans, but just now I hit the mother lode.

I guess they were impressed with the profits they got when I bought a black bear and a couple of cougars from them last year. This time they bought the entire zoo! I've bought a grizzly bear, a small pack of wolves, two more black bears, more cougars, a handful of mountain goats for my milking industry, and to top it off, four (!) giant eagles.

All this, along with countless pages of ropes and flutes and harps, was stacked on two pack animals.

edit: I bought it all with one stack of quarry bush roast. I like having a legendary cook.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You can request seeds from your liason and they'll show up on the caravan next year.

I always make a point to bring 20 each of each seed type. I usually only grow plumps, quarry bushes, and pig tails, but you never know when you'll change your mind. 20 seeds is super cheap so there's no reason not to.

Your other option is to dig deep and start collecting spider thread. You can make bags from silk.

xzzy on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What the hell, I start another fort, get things moving along quite nicely. Then my first migrants arrive and get slaughtered by trogladytes, leading them back to my fort and killing all my helpless dwarves. I was just getting my forge setup too.

I suppose it was a saving grace, the only damned rocks I could find was Chalk.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just found out that I need pig tails to make cloth, which I need to make bags, which I need to not make every single plumb helmet spawn take up an entire square. Problem is I don't have any pig tails or pig tail seeds. How can I get those or another way to make cloth/bags?

The caravan from the Mountainhome might bring some the next go around. And if they don't, you can always ask for some.

You can also make bags out of rope reed, which are identical to pig tails in almost every respect, save that they are above-ground plants.

Send a d0rf or two out to gather plants. They might bring back a Rope Reed plant or two. If they do, process it at a Farmer's Workshop. This will give you a Rope Reed Thread and a Rope Reed Seed.

You can then start an above-ground farm to grow rope reed. Your d0rfs should be able to transform a single seed into a thriving rope reed cloth industry in just a couple of years.

Extreme Unction on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    "dwarf cancels dump item: hunting vermin for food" is bad, right?

I'll remember to bring a variety of seeds on my next fort.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, they only hunt for vermin when there's absolutely nothing else to eat.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What does it mean if something in the unit list is blinking? One of my miners has been blinking for a while.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What does it mean if something in the unit list is blinking? One of my miners has been blinking for a while.

Means he has a Legendary skill.

Extreme Unction on

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

They blink when they become Legendary, miners are often the first guys you'll see go legendary because they become legendary miners after mining out your fortress. When they make artifacts they will often go legendary in the skill they used for the artifact so you'll see them blink then too. Look at the blinking dwarf's skill level list and at least one of them should be legendary.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    punchcity.jpg
    Oh yes.
    Don't waste this opportunity, you jackal.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think I've recovered from my no food situation. Some migrants arrived and one of them was a hunter. Now I have meat.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could my wine being in the kitchen cause it not to be counted in the status screen?

Any caravan (dwarven, human, or elvish) will almost certainly bring cloth and leather, which can be used to make bags. They will also sell various items that come with bags (seeds and sand, for instance), and in many cases they'll be selling empty bags to boot.

If you really want to make your own bags from start to finish, the dwarven caravan may bring pig tail seeds. The other two might carry rope reed seeds, although you would need an aboveground farm to grow rope reeds.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For those missing wine, check your stock for barrels of wine. There's a bug where a soldier will pick up a barrel and end up carting it around with him, holding it with one of his multitude of hands. You can recover it by setting a zone to garbage, finding the barrel, setting it to dump, then un-forbidding it (reclaiming) it from the garbage pile

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge