As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] And You're Dead!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    A friend of mine was all "What the fuck, Up fucking sucks it's not funny at all!".

Don't show him When the Wind Blows, then.

"Grave of the Fireflies fucking sucks it isn't funny at all!"

Nah, I laughed all the way through. Nothing sad about it. Nope.
    One of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also, I haven't seen Up yet. I guess I should get the Blu-Ray?

Drez on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CAD is just Buckley fantasizing about what he wants his life to be like.

The story where Lilah's ex tries to win her back, and she picks Ethan without him even needing to launch into a "zany scheme", and him ending up with the game shop as a byproduct of it without him needing to lift a finger is a good example.

But hey, more edits.
    cadslowpoke.jpg

I think this is my favorite miscarriage comic yet.

Quid on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    See? VGCats ruins friendships!

VG Cats is everything about this 4 parter
    20010604h.gif
    215116029_FMT59-L-2.jpg
    215116455_GHpZp-L-2.jpg
    20010611h.gif

But without all the funny. He takes it serious. Like that gaming is some thing that only he and his chosen ones are allowed to play.

The other part of the phone call was "Wait, are you standing next to him?" "No." "Damn it. I was hoping he would hear me cussing him out over the phone."

Remember the one where the VG Cats guy badly apes Colbert?

Yes exactly! I didn't want to link it because it's fucking horrible but that epitomizes everything wrong with VG Cats!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What kills me is that these guys still have a rabid fan base.

I mean, it's like no matter how many people they piss off, they've still got fans. I get that when you're a tv show with millions of viewers, but when you're a comic strip with only a couple hundred thousand it seems like you really need every one of them to make a good living.

I don't know how they still do it.

Honestly I don't know how Kurtz still does it. Then again, I have no idea how much these guys actually make a year so I can't really speak on the matter. I mean if I was making $50K a year doing comics I'd feel like I was extremely successful.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a big different between almost dead and all the way dead.

"Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do."

"What's that?"

"Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

langfor6 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    There's a big different between almost dead and all the way dead.

"Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do."

"What's that?"

"Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

Don't forget any rings and if he has a nice pair of boots take those as well. Kids these days, don't get the basics of looting.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What was the wife-murdering arc?
    Starts here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/2/21/
    I kinda can see where people are coming from when they are offended by the arc, but really what made the miscarriage arc really reprehensible for me was that Buckley was writing about what really happened in his life, where this is just silliness.
    I frankly don't think anyone has any leg to stand on if they are offended by the Ripped From The Headlines arc, unless they are also offended by all the other violence and threats of violence that Gabe and Tycho routinely engage in. I still have yet to see anyone elucidate why they have a problem with this arc. It just seems like unfocused, pointless rage.

And even if these people ARE offended by all the other bits of violence that appear in all of Penny-Arcade's history, they would still be silly geese. Intellectually consistent silly geese, but silly geese nonetheless.
    Yeah, I'm agreeing with Drez.

Which is not a sentence I thought I would ever type.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    whoa, michael c. hall (dexter) had lymphoma?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I mean, it's like no matter how many people they piss off, they've still got fans. I get that when you're a tv show with millions of viewers, but when you're a comic strip with only a couple hundred thousand it seems like you really need every one of them to make a good living.

Honestly I don't know how Kurtz still does it. Then again, I have no idea how much these guys actually make a year so I can't really speak on the matter. I mean if I was making $50K a year doing comics I'd feel like I was extremely successful.
    I doubt anyone outside of Gabe & Tycho makes that much making webcomics.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What was the wife-murdering arc?
    Starts here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/2/21/
    I kinda can see where people are coming from when they are offended by the arc, but really what made the miscarriage arc really reprehensible for me was that Buckley was writing about what really happened in his life, where this is just silliness.
    I frankly don't think anyone has any leg to stand on if they are offended by the Ripped From The Headlines arc, unless they are also offended by all the other violence and threats of violence that Gabe and Tycho routinely engage in. I still have yet to see anyone elucidate why they have a problem with this arc. It just seems like unfocused, pointless rage.

And even if these people ARE offended by all the other bits of violence that appear in all of Penny-Arcade's history, they would still be silly geese. Intellectually consistent silly geese, but silly geese nonetheless.
    Yeah, I'm agreeing with Drez.

Which is not a sentence I thought I would ever type.

Head Asploded.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    CAD is just Buckley fantasizing about what he wants his life to be like.

The story where Lilah's ex tries to win her back, and she picks Ethan without him even needing to launch into a "zany scheme", and him ending up with the game shop as a byproduct of it without him needing to lift a finger is a good example.

But hey, more edits.
    cadslowpoke.jpg

I think this is my favorite miscarriage comic yet.

whoops, i didn't check the posts in the interim to see if it had already been posted.

but yeah, i think that's my favorite too.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    215128493_X2gPJ-L-2.jpg

I'm always amused that this is a parody of WoW.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, this is easily another one of my favorites:

20060725.jpg

edit: And the Skymall one always busts me up for at least 5 minutes. I cannot get to the end if I try to read it out loud.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think there's quite a few of them making ~50,000 a year with webcomics. I'm pretty sure one of them lives in Nashville.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Why bad webcomics make money and have fans was explained by Your Webcomic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad but they took that blog down. They really trashed on some popular webcomics in completely legitimate ways.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Arizona thread really fucking amazes me.

Drez on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    A communist Rastafari.

Wouldn't that be weird?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    a rousing game of the box art from Warcraft III

langfor6 on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    215532757_XFJVV-L-2.jpg
    Love this one.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Work is done, time to hunt some monsters

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I think there's quite a few of them making ~50,000 a year with webcomics. I'm pretty sure one of them lives in Nashville.
    While I'm not intimately familiar with the world of webcomics, I don't know that I can think of anyone who I would guess would pull in that kind of net income.

I mean, revenue, sure, but after expenses? I guess maybe the Megatokyo guys.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I miss PA's random violence. They need more of it.

Clawshrimp strip is great.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It really isn't very good. It's like they had an idea for a 15 minute short and tried to stretch it out for an hour and a half.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I miss GM Gabriel.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It really isn't very good. It's like they had an idea for a 15 minute short and tried to stretch it out for an hour and a half.

So then I should steal a friend's Blu-Ray instead of buying it.

Also, I bought 500 Days of Summer and still haven't watched it. Should I watch it tonight?

Drez on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

So far it's pretty fuckin' adorable, but I'm not seeing where the next hour is coming from...

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    While I'm not intimately familiar with the world of webcomics, I don't know that I can think of anyone who I would guess would pull in that kind of net income.

I'm basing that on a ~40K to ~60K gross income, with the idea that each author has between 1000 and 3000 dedicated fans buying one book ($8 profit if bulk printed) two shirts ($12 if bulk printed) per year, which comes up to 32,000 to a little over 100,000 a year before taxes, but after cost of production.

That doesn't factor in any con profits, and is based on a readership of over 50,000 with a 5 to 10 percent purchasing fan base.

I can think of at least 20 comics off the top of my head that meet that criteria.

edit: a lot of this is sourced by the how to make webcomics crew and Johnathan Coulton's articles regarding online distribution

amateurhour on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    why would anyone be offended by the splinter cell murder thing

Organichu on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Hello, Mr. Organichu. How's it going?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Starcross wrote: »
    215532757_XFJVV-L-2.jpg
    Love this one.

Yeah me too. That Tycho has the same exact dead look in all three panels is win.

I miss PA's random violence. They need more of it.

Clawshrimp strip is great.

Yes.

20020619h.gif

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anyone wanna play SC2?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BLURRRRAAAAGH

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm basing that on a ~40K to ~60K gross income, with the idea that each author has between 1000 and 3000 dedicated fans buying one book ($8 profit if bulk printed) two shirts ($12 if bulk printed) per year, which comes up to 32,000 to a little over 100,000 a year before taxes, but after cost of production.

That doesn't factor in any con profits, and is based on a readership of over 50,000 with a 5 to 10 percent purchasing fan base.

I can think of at least 20 comics off the top of my head that meet that criteria.

edit: a lot of this is sourced by the how to make webcomics crew and Johnathan Coulton's articles regarding online distribution
    Do they include those estimates for a "purchasing" fanbase?

Because that seems pretty fantastically high to me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    BLURRRRAAAAGH

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah my guess would be the percentage of readers of a webcomic that actually purchase merchandise is going to be lower than 5-10%

I mean I'm no expert in statisticology and I don't have a PhD in Numbers, I'm just sayin.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why do people think Dubai is a paradise, dark underbelly or not? It's a shithole.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wanna make a thread about Boobquake but I feel as though I would devolve it into "TITS OR GTFO!"

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I hope against hope they make another pass today

yay it is here!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wanna make a thread about Boobquake but I feel as though I would devolve it into "TITS OR GTFO!"

This is D&D. It will devolve into a lengthy pseudofeministic argument between the white knights and the latent misogynists.

Aroused Bull on
This discussion has been closed.