As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach Beta - The Spartans have stolen victory! What are they hiding?

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it just me, or does headhunter vary from hectic awesomeness to a complete clusterfuck? I was talking to a friend of mine, and we thought of a way it could also work.

Idea was that, each player starts with a certain number of skulls (say, 50 for example), and upon death you drop half of your current total. Objective is to hold on to as many as you can before time runs out. In theory it would encourage you to go and fight instead of camping the drop off points like he and I saw on many occasions.

Also, armor lock is my favorite thing against vehicles. Someone tried to run me down in a banshee and the EMP knocked it out. I felt like a badass.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how do I go about reporting a bug? Cause me and Angel and Clof had a really bad match (well, bad on my end at least. Lag in the red) but I didn't have my little tuck-n-roll Evade as an Elite after a couple of respawns.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    So how do I go about reporting a bug? Cause me and Angel and Clof had a really bad match (well, bad on my end at least. Lag in the red) but I didn't have my little tuck-n-roll Evade as an Elite after a couple of respawns.

Post on the boards, resurrect thread as needed until someone takes notice.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah crap... you mean I gotta go..... THERE?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had the same problem Nocren, a few times after a game timed out and restarted I had no armor ability, so it's probably an issue with the other couple million players too. Might already be a thread started... I haven't looked.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Ah crap... you mean I gotta go..... THERE?

Unfortunately. Be sure to follow Bungie's bug submission guide.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The grenade launcher and I were meant to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c5QFC0XMOk

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shiiiit! Beeb wrecking shit with the grenade launcher is hilarious.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really hate the way they show objectives in this. There should be an arrow on your radar, not just the screen. Because the way it is I can't tell which arrows are teammates and which are objectives. It slows me down and it's a pain in the ass.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I miss the objectives shown on radar as well. Fucks with me on KotH

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also for those that didn't read the update

- melee will be slowed down for retail
    - the simultaneous death window will be decreased for retail
    - grenades will be looked at

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Also for those that didn't read the update

- melee will be slowed down for retail
    - the simultaneous death window will be decreased for retail
    - grenades will be looked at

Also mentioned is that we will NOT see a return of the Halo 3 melee system, i.e. my invisible health vs your invisible health regardless of who swung first. That system INFURIATED me. Wouldn't be unhappy to see even just a reduction in simultaneous melee deaths, either.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Simultaneous melee will stay in, because it's the only way you can really resolve melee in an FPS, and especially when host vs a client is involved.

The unpatched Halo 3 was worse in that it was hard to tell why someone beat you, because if they had 100 HP and you had 99 they would win. Now you have to beat the spread in Halo 3.

I think what happened is they used the beta test to experiment with making the "clang" window large (clang is triggered in halo 3 and reach whenever two melees come within a window of each other - H3 is 100ms). It didn't get the results they wanted so they'll dial it back a bit, it seems.

Also amusingly enough, simultaneous melee is in Halo 1, but apparently everyone forgot about that. The only game that didn't have it was Halo 2.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd prefer if you could only melee block a sword if the sword is B meleeing so spartans have at least some kind of excuse to use them

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd prefer if you could only melee block a sword if the sword is B meleeing so spartans have at least some kind of excuse to use them

With swords as a starting weapon in some loadouts, they had to make some sort of change to them.

Yay, I got put in a division. Does anyone know if we have to hold our positions? or if we can lose rank if we play more and lose? 5 games a month will get people playing ranked more than the old system, but not by much.

Edit: found my answer
    1. Play enough games each day and you will receive a Daily Rating.
    2. Earn enough Ratings in a Season and you will be placed in a Division amongst your peers.

At the end of each season, everyone who has qualified for a Season Rating will receive a breakdown of their Division placement and their individual performance in each Arena Playlist.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I cannot for the life of me get the hang of the grenade launcher. I always get just a 'glancing blow', or I miss altogether. What is the secret?

Tejs on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone still on? I just lost a SWAT game 2v4, we lost by 10 and my team mate was -14.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tejs wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me get the hang of the grenade launcher. I always get just a 'glancing blow', or I miss altogether. What is the secret?

When I miss, I find that I frequently greatly overestimate the initial arc and end up putting the grenade short of the target. You pretty much always need to shoot it higher than you think.
    Also amusingly enough, simultaneous melee is in Halo 1, but apparently everyone forgot about that. The only game that didn't have it was Halo 2.

Yeah, but they were fairly rare. More often, the guy who swung first got to live. Simultaneous melees usually resulted in Guardian kills and those weren't very common. In the Reach beta, simultaneous deaths happen constantly so I can understand there needing to be a fix. As long as the guy who swings first wins, I'll be happy with whatever fix they put out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

With swords as a starting weapon in some loadouts, they had to make some sort of change to them.

1. The sword is only available in a loadout when the spartans get shotguns AND grenade launchers
    2. You have to literally suck so bad to not kill a sword elite right now, it's like tf2 spies when they sucked

outside of invasion it seems like a punishment for using the sword instead of the hammer which AFAIK cannot have it's lunge blocked

Bungie controlled by Brute shadow government, apartheid on elites

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm looking for some people for invasion, either invite me or send a message

Veevee on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Think they might be overcompensating a little for the powerhouse of death that was the sword in H3.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

1. The sword is only available in a loadout when the spartans get shotguns AND grenade launchers
    2. You have to literally suck so bad to not kill a sword elite right now, it's like tf2 spies when they sucked

outside of invasion it seems like a punishment for using the sword instead of the hammer which AFAIK cannot have it's lunge blocked

I only played like 5 invasion games this evening, but Swords on stage 2 is free swords for Spartans. Swords on stage 3 is I HAVE A SWORD IN A GIANT FIELD KILL ME.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

I only played like 5 invasion games this evening, but Swords on stage 2 is free swords for Spartans. Swords on stage 3 is I HAVE A SWORD IN A GIANT FIELD KILL ME.

I know, it's the best. Tons of time to kill whoever you want with a grenade launcher. I don't know how people don't understand that I can kill them from fifty feet farther away than their sword will reach.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Because OOH SHINY SWORD STEPPIN' RAZOR LOL!

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i dunno, after cracking the case the inside can get clustered. rolling in with a sword is a good way to clear the room. i nabbed a sword spree this way.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    found a brospawn bug that only happens to Elites

brospawnbug.jpg

added to my Elite bug thread on bnet:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=43505767

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At first I thought the Elites would be OP with the extra health

But Invasion is so amazingly one sided to the spartans

DRM + Magnum Starts > Needler / Plasma Repitar starts
    Scorpian > Wraith
    Human Drops > Elite Drops
    Protected Untouchable Human vechiles > Elite exposed easily stolen vechiles
    Rockets / Splazer / Grenade Launcher > Plasma Cannon, Plasma Pistol
    Shotty Spawn > Sword Spawn
    needs some work

Elites on 3 out of my 20 games today

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Elites won the majority of games for me, and lots of near-wins by the elites.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the team has everything to do with it. A solid defending team will range and try to keep hostile force on the incoming elites and communicate. A good elite team will rush and overpower one generator instead of futzing with both of them or try to pull guys away while they violate one of the generators.

I felt the starting weapons favored the elites though.

Bungie did give me what I wanted though- Multiple spawn locations so spawn camping goes away dramatically.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm loving Invasion, but the party-splitting bug, and the bare-bones nature of Invasion Slayer ruin it a little bit..

It's a solid experience, and it is really fun when it works, but it all feels really incomplete... Which I guess makes sense. After all, it is a Beta. :P

Also, I'd love a variant of Invasion Slayer where you can only fight inside the Commonwealth... Or a version that plays like a more traditional version of Slayer, where Spartans and Elites spawn on opposite sides of the map, and they both have two power weapons (Plasma Launcher/Focus Rifle vs. Rocket Launcher/Sniper Rifle) and vehicles (Ghost/Wraith vs. Warthog/Scorpion) at their disposal at the start, and they respawn every couple of minutes.

I think that would be a little more fun than playing Clusterfuck Around the Territory... Not that playing Clusterfuck around the Territory isn't fun. :P

EDIT: And the spawn system needs some streamlining... Maybe you can tap A to spawn once you've picked a spot? It would beat sitting in a lobby waiting for the game to bring you back.

One last little complaint; the team naming system just seems really overwrought; just classify them as one team by faction (Covenant or UNSC), then divide them by color/scores, rather than divide them up by factions and colors. Don't do all this "Covenant A/B/C took the lead from UNSC A/B/C" shit, that just overcomplicates it.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am eternally jealous of you duders, your working 360's, and your Reach betas.

I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but I'm super tempted to buy Halo 2 on PC to get my online 'Halo fix'. I've never had a 'Halo fix', let alone one that needed scratching, in my entire life.

What have you all done to me ohdear.png

Kami on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Encountered a bug where somebody blocked (!) a spartan laser by pulling out a sword at just the right moment. I'll bug report it later.

Right now though, just watch this clip of my new favorite assassination.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=744298

Download it and watch it in-game to see it from all angles. It's sweeeeeeeet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got a Killtastic last night, but then my power died for one second and I lost the video of it.

Is it recorded anywhere else like in my Bungie account?

I was super proud that I got that, I so wish I was able to record it.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I shot a grenade out of an elites hands and the explosion killed him, it was amazing.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks like it dissapeared because I wasnt able to finish all the rounds.

D: !

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ehh, I'm really not feeling Invasion vanilla right now; after a couple of games it gets kind of stale. Maybe if they added randomized mission objectives instead of having the same three to add a little unpredictability into the mix. My one Invasion Slayer game was so one sided for the Elites (Banshees and Wraiths and Ghosts, oh my!) it wasn't even funny.

Anyway I think I'm gonna give the beta a break now and maybe go back to H3 for some online action. Good so far, but Bungie really needs to tweak stuff like grenade power and the opacity of some weapon crosshairs so you don't wind up wasting shots because you lose the sights in the background.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only bug I've noticed is when the host of a match leaves and it picks a new match I lose my armor abilities and the first person to kill someone after the game comes back on will get the First Blood medal or First Strike or whatever its called.

I had that medal twice in one match which obviously doesn't make sense :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you stand on the core long enough for it to return, it says "Flag returned" instead of something more appropriate.

To be honest, I think Invasion (in both variants) needs some work. The spawning mechanic regardless of game type is broken imo. If you choose to spawn on your team mate, I can understand the requirement to wait until they are in a safe place - but if you choose to spawn super far away (like the elites), it should be instant. You have at least 15-30 seconds of pure running + rolling just to get back to fight, whereas Spartans wait about 5 seconds to get somewhere, especially when they are spawning in the junkyard on normal Invasion.

In Phase 1, there need to be more avenues you can attack from. I think a perfect solution would be to add a third entry way in the center back that elites can get to. Phase 2 and 3 should be the meat of the game type, and constantly completing an Invasion game in the first four minutes is neither fun for the attackers, nor the defenders. It practically takes longer to go through matchmaking that to play a single Phase 1 round of Invasion. The Dark Assassin loadout also needs to spawn with something else with the Needler, even if it is a plasma pistol. You can run through the needler rounds ridiculously quick. The elites are also 'bound' to a single spawn point in Phase 1 (I know there are two initially). You should be able to choose which point you want when respawning.

In Phase 2, the vehicle spawns are spartan favored (as other posters have said). The covenant stockpile and spartan stockpile should be offlimits to the opposing teams. Make the 3rd floor refiner spartan cache behind the energy wall like the junkyard rocket launcher is. When the spartans steal both Plasma Launchers, you're automatically at a disadvantage when they have a completely protected Rocket Launcher / Sniper cache.

In Phase 3, I really think they should make the sword loadout use active camo instead of evade, and possibly put a tank trap in front of the covenant landing platform, because if the spartans place the tank there, they have a completely open field of fire to every covenant spawn zone and oyu get rampant spawn killing. The sniper field of fire into the elite spawn (hold) also seems a bit iffy - I've spawned and been headshotted in the span of a second. I also think they should let you melee with the core, like any flag, oddball, or bomb.

Tejs on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I felt the starting weapons favored the elites though.

Really? The Spartans can spawn with DMRs, whereas in order to counter it the Elites have to pick up a Needle Rifle off the map.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
This discussion has been closed.