As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] For The Ages

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I promise that I'm not going to start shit in [chat], but I'm genuinely non-trollishly curious. I'm totally against this Arizona law, but what do people think of illegal immigration in general ie: what is the proper recourse for coming to this country illegally?

I, myself, have struggled with that for a good long time.

Obviously we can't openly allow millions of undocumented workers in the country. Our controls on capitalism would totally fall apart. What we need to do is find the source of the pressures that cause people to enter illegally in the numbers they do and work from there. Stopgaps might be relieving the pressure in a controlled way. For example, making legitimate immigration easier, putting stricter controls on businesses that use illegal labor. Annex Mexico. You know, normal, reasonable steps to rectify the problem instead of rash, reactionary, and xenophobic legislation.

These are my two favorite ideas.

The third, I don't know.

Give texas and southern california back to mexico.
    give them arizona too

it'll be funny

Elendil on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Funny things on facebook.

Two people make plans to hang out in a wall message. A third person says. .

Hey what the hell. We were supposed to hang out. . .real cool :(

At that point, DUE, you should "like" it.

Good point.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mike Huckabee said something I actually agree with.

"America is a lot like Disney World in that once you get a ticket, you're in. You don't have to keep showing your ticket to keep riding the rides. That's the whole point of liberty."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh. My friend just made the worst pun ever.

"If you ate a pokémon, would it be a meowthful?"

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I promise that I'm not going to start shit in [chat], but I'm genuinely non-trollishly curious. I'm totally against this Arizona law, but what do people think of illegal immigration in general ie: what is the proper recourse for coming to this country illegally?

Obviously we can't openly allow millions of undocumented workers in the country. Our controls on capitalism would totally fall apart. What we need to do is find the source of the pressures that cause people to enter illegally in the numbers they do and work from there. Stopgaps might be relieving the pressure in a controlled way. For example, making legitimate immigration easier, putting stricter controls on businesses that use illegal labor. Annex Mexico. You know, normal, reasonable steps to rectify the problem instead of rash, reactionary, and xenophobic legislation.

These are my two favorite ideas.

The third, I don't know.

Give texas and southern california back to mexico.

Also give them florida, arizona, ohio and all the other states that suck

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also question- Can someone tell me what is going on with some new bill about puerto rico right now? I really don't understand the fuss, and theres not much talk about it.

It gives Puerto Rico the option to vote to change their status. They currently are a commonwealth rather then a state. Puerto Rico has the option to do this anyway and has in the past voted down statehood. But with Washington behind it, it could be seen as a boost for those in Puerto Rico who are pushing for statehood. The Republicans are pissed because Puerto Rico would most likely vote Dem and that would give the Democrats two more senate seats.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    so what happens if an American forgets his/her ID at home?

lol sorry officer i forgot it?

I can't believe someone actually dares to suggest this

you should have been occupied by the germans like us

Technically an ID is not proof of citizenship.

Valid proofs of citizenship (on the national level) are a government-issued birth certificate (hospital birth certificates don't count), US passport, certificate of citizenship, or certificate of naturalization.

Amusingly enough, many US citizens don't actually own any of these documents.

Oddly, I have a copy of my "certificate of birth abroad" within reach right now, and have ever since I got my passport renewed last year...

Oh cool I have a total of zero of those things because my mother is a goddam loon and won't give me my birth certificate. Also I have never traveled abroad.
    Yes i know i can just request a new birth certificate but i am lazy and also I didn't think it was a problem until now.

My mother and me keep passing these things back and forth. Every few years it'll be, "You know... I really think this stuff would be safer with you." *box of stuff changes hands for the nth time*

Galahad on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I have my passport and green card handy

I will not be visiting Arizona anytime soon.

I need to renew my passport. Last time I traveled overseas, I was 16, so it has since expired. I don't have any trips planned, but Canada requires a passport now, which is pretty lame all around. We used to be tight, Canada. What happened?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate Arizona if for nothing other than Phoenix airport

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think you now have to kill him.

It's the only solution.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So wait what do you guys think of this???

America May be Moving to give Puerto Rico Statehood

Will finally allow us to have alaska be its own nation. Preserving 50 states.

Nothing to worry about though, as Puerto Rico does not want to be a state.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    apparently i are being audited?

hmm

that sounds scary!

i never lied on my taxes or anything?... but i don't exactly keep good records

this is scary :(

"Audits are regularly issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). There are two main reasons why an individual or business may be audited by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Random audits are not as frequent as they used to be; however, they do still exist. The majority of audits ordered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are because they noticed a large mistake or they feel a taxpayer is trying to deceive them to receive a larger tax refund. Despite what many individuals feel, being audited is not the end of the world. The best way to handle an audit is to learn ahead of time what do if you're audited.

When the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) makes the decision to perform an audit someone from the Internal Revenue Service will contact you. At this time they should provide you with the information you may need for the audit and what time the audit will occur. Since the majority of taxpayers are unprepared for an audit, many taxpayers may ask for more time to prepare. The majority of audit appointment extension requests are granted.

Before an audit occurs taxpayers will have to prepare all of the necessary financial documents for the audit. It is important you determine which year you are being audited for. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) typically requests an audit one to three years after a tax return has been filed; however, they can request an audit at anytime if they feel a taxpayer was trying to defraud the government. Knowing which year you are being audited for will prevent you from wasting time looking for the wrong documents, or from looking unprofessional by showing up at an audit with the financial records for the wrong year.

Although audits performed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are stressful and potentially confusing, there are a number of taxpayers who handle audits all on their own. If you make the decision to deal with an auditor on your own, there are a number of things you should consider and keep in mind during the audit. There are many taxpayers who feel they are being helpful by volunteering information to the auditor; however, many do not realize they can actually be doing more harm them good. The majority of audits focus on a particular part of a tax return. When a specific part of a tax return is being examined, many auditors do not even review the other parts. Individuals who volunteer information on their own may raise a red flag to another error that previously went unnoticed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Individuals representing themselves in an audit are encouraged to answer all of the auditor's questions accurately; but they are also encouraged not to offer any extra information.

While they are just trying to do their job, it is possible that some auditors may come off as being mean or pushy. You need to know that if at any time you do not feel comfortable in the tax audit or you do not feel things are going your way, you can hire the services of a professional tax lawyer. To do so you will have to temporarily stop the audit and request an extension. There is nothing wrong with hiring a tax attorney and it does not mean you did something illegal. There are a number of individuals who did not know what to expect when being audited and later determined it was something they were not equipped to handle. Tax attorneys are likely to see an audit through all the way to the end and then work with you to resolve a problem with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The majority of taxpayers will not experience an audit in their lifetime; however, it is still a situation that everyone should be prepared for. Whether you represent yourself at an audit or hire the services of a professional tax attorney there are a number of ways to learn what to do if you are audited. As long as you were honest on your tax return and have all of your financial records in order, you should have nothing to worry about."

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Also question- Can someone tell me what is going on with some new bill about puerto rico right now? I really don't understand the fuss, and theres not much talk about it.

It gives Puerto Rico the option to vote to change their status. They currently are a commonwealth rather then a state. Puerto Rico has the option to do this anyway and has in the past voted down statehood. But with Washington behind it, it could be seen as a boost for those in Puerto Rico who are pushing for statehood. The Republicans are pissed because Puerto Rico would most likely vote Dem and that would give the Democrats two more senate seats.

Hmmmmm

51 states would be cool I guess?

Arch on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My MW4: Mercs download has ground to a halt.

download? is it on steam or something?

James on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I live in an area that, more or less, makes up a large part of the hispanic population in my county. The police have, for the past year or two, been running DUI check points more or less weekly. Now, in theory, I support DUI checkpoints, 'cause fuck drinking and driving.

However, in a given night, they'll maybe arrest two or three people for DUIs, but impound about 30 cars or so from people driving without licenses, auctioning the cars to raise money for operations or whatever.

And I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand, driving without a licenses - and more importantly, without car insurance - is a big problem, obviously. I know friends who've been in accidents with unlicensed, uninsured folks, and it's a considerable hassle.

On the other hand, it's pretty obvious they're placing these checkpoints conspicuously in the hispanic community. You're far more likely to see them around where the day laborers live than in the areas with multi-million dollar houses.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have no idea where my birth certificate is. I have my passport ready, though.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    apparently i are being audited?

hmm

that sounds scary!

i never lied on my taxes or anything?... but i don't exactly keep good records

this is scary :(

It's most likely a random audit. I'm assuming you file a 1040 EZ or have fairly simple taxes? If so, I wouldn't be too scared.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

THIS!

Puerto Rico, Guam, off the fence. Manifest Destiny PART II starts now!

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    okay.

so kids are walking home from school and I hear

"THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS VAGINA CANCER"

from some girl.

wut. i need out of this neighborhood.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My MW4: Mercs download has ground to a halt.

download? is it on steam or something?

no, it's free now

mektek finally fought their way through legal hell

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had a blueberry muffin from Duchess for breakfast.

I am still not hungry, usually I'd be ravenous by this time.

It might have broke me.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide what's more embarassing about last night. Is it the part where I got stoned, threw around a bunch of weeaboo stuff, and flaunted around my submissive proclivities?

Or is it the part where I got stoned AFTER the other parts.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm fine with it, but so many flags will have to change. I suggest quickly finding 3 or 4 additional states so we can keep the design similar.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Hmmmmm

51 states would be cool I guess?

Aye. And it's a historic legacy for Obama. And it's not likely to help during the mid-term elections but for the next Presidential Election you could see ads saying "Obama, so damn cool he added another state".

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I live in an area that, more or less, makes up a large part of the hispanic population in my county. The police have, for the past year or two, been running DUI check points more or less weekly. Now, in theory, I support DUI checkpoints, 'cause fuck drinking and driving.

However, in a given night, they'll maybe arrest two or three people for DUIs, but impound about 30 cars or so from people driving without licenses, auctioning the cars to raise money for operations or whatever.

And I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand, driving without a licenses - and more importantly, without car insurance - is a big problem, obviously. I know friends who've been in accidents with unlicensed, uninsured folks, and it's a considerable hassle.

On the other hand, it's pretty obvious they're placing these checkpoints conspicuously in the hispanic community. You're far more likely to see them around where the day laborers live than in the areas with multi-million dollar houses.

See that's where my brain is like SHIT! Because driving unlicensed and uninsured is awful, as is drunk driving. I can see where it could be considered profiling, but it could also be a result of "fishing where there are fish" and unlike the papers law, if you don't want to get hit by this one, don't break the actual laws they are enforcing here.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010

About frickin' time.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide what's more embarassing about last night. Is it the part where I got stoned, threw around a bunch of weeaboo stuff, and flaunted around my submissive proclivities?

Was there a "bad thing"?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The pictures in my mail box were rather pretty....

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

About frickin' time.

They've always had the option. They've voted it down several times.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Was there a "bad thing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCL-qnBQzUo

FLOSS IS BOSS

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mexican isn't a race. It's an ethnicity. For most of American history, Mexicans were considered white.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm fine with it, but so many flags will have to change. I suggest quickly finding 3 or 4 additional states so we can keep the design similar.

:lol:

guam

the middle east

canada

DONE

Arch on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Can't we just firebomb arkansas or something?

not like anyone would notice

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You'll be Koffing for a while.

James on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

<3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would Puerto Rico be the most impoverished state?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I got drunk, posted a JPop song and also said similar things.

Don't be embarrassed.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

So you actually got stoned? Nice.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.