Options

[chat] For The Ages

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I promise that I'm not going to start shit in [chat], but I'm genuinely non-trollishly curious. I'm totally against this Arizona law, but what do people think of illegal immigration in general ie: what is the proper recourse for coming to this country illegally?

I, myself, have struggled with that for a good long time.

Make it easier to enter this country, go after the employers who employ people under the table after the fact. Stop letting xenophobic policies and scary brown people dominate the debate.

this right here

Thanks. Was just interested in what people thought outside of "RACISM GARBLGARBLGARBL"

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Grrr.

Why the fuck is Amazon not combining shipping?!

Some things you buy off Amazon are actually from private stores. Similar to Ebay. So it may not be directly from Amazon, but from Joe Dickson in Alabama who owns his own store and uses Amazon.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Funny things on facebook.

Two people make plans to hang out in a wall message. A third person says. .

Hey what the hell. We were supposed to hang out. . .real cool :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Here, have your Nelly Furtado and keep your man cred.
    Thin Line

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I promise that I'm not going to start shit in [chat], but I'm genuinely non-trollishly curious. I'm totally against this Arizona law, but what do people think of illegal immigration in general ie: what is the proper recourse for coming to this country illegally?

Making it legal.

naturalization? is that a possibility?

We usually call it "amnesty."

It's generally considered to be a far-left-wing idea and is not seriously on the table.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Grrr.

Are the books coming straight from Amazon itself, or all the used/new resellers that list on Amazon?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

this right here

What I hate is that in typical conservative fashion the debate is either "PAPERS PLEASE!" or "OPEN THE BORDER EVERYONE COME ON IN!" They don't understand nuance, and use so much weasel framing to try and trap you saying shit you didn't say. The entire debate is against a straw man.

When you bring up the potential for abuse they pretend like having to sue the police for wrongful imprisonment is super easy and anyone can do it. Need we forget in maricopa when you are arrested you get tossed into a prison where you can potentially die from poor conditions. So good luck getting your chance to sue!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

the proper recourse for people in the US illegally who are not the victims of some crime (because that complicates stuff, a lot) should be deported to their home countries. The agencies actually in charge of this should be delicate about the matter and should handle it, well, in large part like they have been. These are not the local police. In fact, the local police should not be involved at all especially as (and this is the important bit) it is not a crime.

People don't seem to grasp that last bit in the least.

This is why I prefer calling them "undocumented immigrants" rather than "illegal immigrants."

Calling them 'illegal' just reinforces the notion that it's criminal.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

At that point, DUE, you should "like" it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the state has been deporting people who have been denied asylum back to Somalia because they have "clan protection"

this is all kinds of wrong

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »

At that point, DUE, you should "like" it.

Arch on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Grrr.

You might be ordering from other companies. Amazon likes to do this and not really tell you.
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Grrr.

Are the books coming straight from Amazon itself, or all the used/new resellers that list on Amazon?

I'm definitely ordering from other companies.

5 books from one and 2 from the other.

In the past shipping would be combined relative to the store I'm buying from. I should pay shipping on the order of 5 books and then pay shipping on the other order of 2 books from another store.

But it's wanting me to pay shipping on each individual book.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Making it legal.

It's generally considered to be a far-left-wing idea and is not seriously on the table.

If by far-left-wing you mean signed into law by Reagan...then yes.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jail, preach.

The prisons (where people who have been convicted of crimes are) are actually much nicer.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

the proper recourse for people in the US illegally who are not the victims of some crime (because that complicates stuff, a lot) should be deported to their home countries. The agencies actually in charge of this should be delicate about the matter and should handle it, well, in large part like they have been. These are not the local police. In fact, the local police should not be involved at all especially as (and this is the important bit) it is not a crime.

People don't seem to grasp that last bit in the least.

This is why I prefer calling them "undocumented immigrants" rather than "illegal immigrants."

Calling them 'illegal' just reinforces the notion that it's criminal.

Good point. Cause when I was responding in the thread I kept typing "illegal" thinking, wth. It's illegal, so that's why they're bitching like the racists they are.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Making it legal.

I would have guessed. And open borders isn't such an awesome idea just yet either.

Relaxing it alot, though, would be good.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Making it legal.

Wait, what?

Edit: ah, I see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986

I didn't know that. I'd still argue that right now it's not seriously on the table.

Feral on

• Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so what happens if an American forgets his/her ID at home?

lol sorry officer i forgot it?

I can't believe someone actually dares to suggest this

you should have been occupied by the germans like us

Technically an ID is not proof of citizenship.

Valid proofs of citizenship (on the national level) are a government-issued birth certificate (hospital birth certificates don't count), US passport, certificate of citizenship, or certificate of naturalization.

Amusingly enough, many US citizens don't actually own any of these documents.

Oddly, I have a copy of my "certificate of birth abroad" within reach right now, and have ever since I got my passport renewed last year...

Galahad on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Valid proofs of citizenship (on the national level) are a government-issued birth certificate (hospital birth certificates don't count), US passport, certificate of citizenship, or certificate of naturalization.

It strikes me as odd that someone might not have a government-issued birth certificate.

James on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

It strikes me as odd that someone might not have a government-issued birth certificate.

lots of people lose 'em

never bother to file for another

Organichu on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Making it legal.

Wait, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986

Bipartisan bill signed into law by Reagan. It granted amnesty to a large number of undocumented workers who had been here before 1982 and had been here for several years.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Oddly, I have a copy of my "certificate of birth abroad" within reach right now, and have ever since I got my passport renewed last year...

Oh cool I have a total of zero of those things because my mother is a goddam loon and won't give me my birth certificate. Also I have never traveled abroad.
    Yes i know i can just request a new birth certificate but i am lazy and also I didn't think it was a problem until now.

Arch on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Making it legal.

The UK Murdoch-owned press is having a shitfit at the moment over Clegg suggesting it.

What he actually suggested was that since there are a good few hundred thousand people who are in the country illegally and nobody knows who they are or how to find them, it might be a good idea to have a process to naturalise them as a one-off thing since they've obviously managed to integrate, intend to stay, and they might as well be paying taxes.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

lots of people lose 'em

never bother to file for another

because who cares, y'know?

Except now it matters

Arch on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Obviously we can't openly allow millions of undocumented workers in the country. Our controls on capitalism would totally fall apart. What we need to do is find the source of the pressures that cause people to enter illegally in the numbers they do and work from there. Stopgaps might be relieving the pressure in a controlled way. For example, making legitimate immigration easier, putting stricter controls on businesses that use illegal labor. Annex Mexico. You know, normal, reasonable steps to rectify the problem instead of rash, reactionary, and xenophobic legislation.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jail, preach.

The prisons (where people who have been convicted of crimes are) are actually much nicer.

Which is the saddest part, people trumpet sherrif joe's tough on crime, where his tent city is basically punishing innocent people prior to conviction. Guilty before innocent.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Amnesty need not take a single form. You could provide a path for illegal immigrants to become legal without fear of deportation. Doesn't mean you have to make it instantaneous or easy.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Obviously we can't openly allow millions of undocumented workers in the country. Our controls on capitalism would totally fall apart. What we need to do is find the source of the pressures that cause people to enter illegally in the numbers they do and work from there. Stopgaps might be relieving the pressure in a controlled way. For example, making legitimate immigration easier, putting stricter controls on businesses that use illegal labor. Carpet-bomb Mexico. You know, normal, reasonable steps to rectify the problem instead of rash, reactionary, and xenophobic legislation.

Totally agree.

Feral on

• Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Making it legal.

Also championed in a form by GW Bush.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Obviously we can't openly allow millions of undocumented workers in the country. Our controls on capitalism would totally fall apart. What we need to do is find the source of the pressures that cause people to enter illegally in the numbers they do and work from there. Stopgaps might be relieving the pressure in a controlled way. For example, making legitimate immigration easier, putting stricter controls on businesses that use illegal labor. Annex Mexico. You know, normal, reasonable steps to rectify the problem instead of rash, reactionary, and xenophobic legislation.

These are my two favorite ideas.

The third, I don't know.

Arch on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Amnesty need not take a single form. You could provide a path for illegal immigrants to become legal without fear of deportation. Doesn't mean you have to make it instantaneous or easy.

It's a tough sell to a public that like their policy in simple, declarative, single sentences.

japan on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have my passport and green card handy

I will not be visiting Arizona anytime soon.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also question- Can someone tell me what is going on with some new bill about puerto rico right now? I really don't understand the fuss, and theres not much talk about it.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The third, I don't know.

Give texas and california back to mexico.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the state has been deporting people who have been denied asylum back to Somalia because they have "clan protection"

this is all kinds of wrong

yeah canada does the same thing for retarded reasons too

James on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My MW4: Mercs download has ground to a halt.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The third, I don't know.

Give texas and california back to mexico.

:lol:

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The third, I don't know.

Give texas and southern california back to mexico.

Feral on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    apparently i are being audited?

hmm

that sounds scary!

i never lied on my taxes or anything?... but i don't exactly keep good records

this is scary :(

Organichu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also question- Can someone tell me what is going on with some new bill about puerto rico right now? I really don't understand the fuss, and theres not much talk about it.

The house passed a bll that may put PR statehood on the table.

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.