As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nothing like stealthing behind snipers and planting a boomer under their feet. Then turning on melee boost and shanking the others when you run out of ACEs.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's a special kind of enjoyment in killing snipers. Sniping is one thing which I really hate in FPS games generally. Point and click at a distance beyond your enemy's reach.. it's just a lame addition to the overall tactical field, even if it is present in real world warfare.

Putting pressure on snipers with a Lancer was pretty good, I frequently managed to get kills against them.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    There's a special kind of enjoyment in killing snipers. Sniping is one thing which I really hate in FPS games generally. Point and click at a distance beyond your enemy's reach.. it's just a lame addition to the overall tactical field, even if it is present in real world warfare.

Putting pressure on snipers with a Lancer was pretty good, I frequently managed to get kills against them.

Or bum-rushing snipers with a Suppressor. The damn thing is so accurate it actually worked pretty well, especially when you inspire some teammates to take shots for you.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Enig wrote: »

Or bum-rushing snipers with a Suppressor. The damn thing is so accurate it actually worked pretty well, especially when you inspire some teammates to take shots for you.

I loved the Suppressor...that little gun was so much fun :lol:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Black MilkBlack Milk Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    The first time I came (Literally) over a hill in Planetside and saw a country-side full of tanks, aircraft and troops fighting it out on the spectrum of conflict that integrated seamlessly into one another...I shat brix. Can't wait.

Black Milk on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lowlander wrote: »
    The game originally seemed to incentivize group tactics, but when they changed the shuttles to launch something like every minute, it just got to the point that you would drop in on some random hot zone, and when you started to get bored there you'd just die off and drop in on some other hot zone somewhere else. It never felt like you were really tied into the action, it became more like some sort of team deathmatch than when it first started.

Wait, whey made the shuttle launch every minute?! When?

Horseshit!

Last time I played it was reduced to 5 minutes from 15.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Resource Buildings.

If they include something like resource buildings, giving us an objective to focus on, I will be happy.

One team has control of all the refineries and factories in a given area, the other side looks at a global web-map of all the resource buildings in the region and decide that Refinery 101 is the current choke-point and where the attack needs to be focused to break the line of their defenses.

However -- I feel that true strategic plotting and planning amongst players is a pipe dream.

In a perfect world you'd have your guilds (in this case it would be more like companies) and your commanders (guild/company leaders) would co-ordinate with one another deciding where to strike and when inside some "war room" with tons of logistical information about resources, troop strengths, armor available etc. And would make decisions on where to strike.

The hardest thing to enforce inside a game like this is chain of command, when that is what it needs the most.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't certain facility types control what bonuses like shields, heavy tanks, galaxies, radar you would have on a continent depending on if they were linked an powered?

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yep.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how are resource buildings different?

I can remember many times heading over the lattice to knock out the gen on a tech facility away from the fight so that the main forces wouldn't have to deal with reavers and MBTs. Reviving and repairing my team mates from the safety of cloak.

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if they made planetside 2 more like savage i would be so very happy.

when you capture a base the outfit that earned the most points gets claim to it. The outfit leaders could then customize base defenses/resource gathering to upgrade facilities, possibly even the outfits armor/weapons,

of course other members of your team can still use your stuff, their armor/weapon buffs come from a facility they may own

hell maybe make bases buildable wherever you want, if captured the enemy can claim them or demolish them

edit: a new comic had popped up, i don't know if its related to the update or not and i didnt see anyone post it in the thread (i didn't look super hard)

comic_2.jpg

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have no idea what any of Planetside's lore is about, so my guess on the comic?

Someone's come and taken all the nanites, shit's bout to hit the fan. And the bad guy looks like the faceless villain from Inspector Gadget. Minus the cat.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of Planetside's lore is about, so my guess on the comic?

Someone's come and taken all the nanites, shit's bout to hit the fan. And the bad guy looks like the faceless villain from Inspector Gadget. Minus the cat.

thats exactly what i thought too, CURSE YOU VAAANNUUUUUU!

also no vanu have appeared, wtf?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nanites are basically why everything in Planetside. IE Why do you have basically infinite lives? Nanites! Why is it possible to pull tank after tank after tank forever? Nanites!. Lorewise, if the nanites went away everyone would be 10000000% fucked. This is pretty much the extent of the lore in PS by the way, besides the tiny little backstory about how mans got to Auraxis(holy crap, I remember the name...) in the first place and why they are fighting a stupid little forever war when they could conceivably just be living in the lap of complete, hedonistic luxury for eternity.

Phant on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeap, I remember when this started it was all these different continents on the same planet and then theyh were all duh, they should each be a planet in the auraxis galaxy.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm guessing that 1/2 to 1/3 of the world will be consumed to replace the nanites and also some 4th faction will do something WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Right now there's waaaaay too much real estate that just sits there. Only one or maybe two continents ever have action, and that was usually focused at 2 or 3 bases. At least, back when I played.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Draeven wrote: »
    yeap, I remember when this started it was all these different continents on the same planet and then theyh were all duh, they should each be a planet in the auraxis galaxy.

The best part about this was that they actually explained it. It was in a (pretty lengthy) article/story on the site which detailed the history of Auraxis, from when it was first colonized by the Terran Republic.
    (Summarized background up to that point (as far as I remember it): TR discovers Auraxis through a wormhole, and colonizes it. Cool Vanu technology all around. Rad!

Some guy who was executed on Auraxis was discovered sitting at a warpgate, albeit confused. Everyone discovers that hey, warpgates let you respawn, something something channel energy something hey guys, spawn tubes!

Then suddenly one day, the wormhole collapses. Oh noes. NC and VS split off (guys who want freedom from TR oppression etc. etc. and scientists who want to use Vanu technology etc. etc.), war happens, and never changes.)

Then that article went and turned everything upside down: apparently the wormhole didn't collpase after all, but the TR (on Earth) cut off communications or something or another with Auraxis, to make it seem like it did. Then they just sat back and watched events unfold.

So one day they decide to reclaim everything and send a fleet through the wormhole. But hey, turns out the planet itself is smart/sentient/something or another, and decides to split every continent into a separate planet. Somehow, this makes the Earth TR decide that they can't do anything, so they shrug and start sitting back again.

Except SOE went and accidentally released the chapter which explained why the Bending happened before the actual in game event. It was up for all of a day or so before it was taken down, and they (AFAIK) never put it up again.

So yeah. :?

(I think I was one of maybe 3 people who bothered to keep up with all that. I loved the backstory, however limited it might have been.)

EDIT: Aha! That article is still up, but still missing the final piece.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh wow, that's even worse than just saying "Eh, we felt like it."

Garthor on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's fluffier then 40K lore. It's basically MAGICZ!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My character's name was Reaverocity.

For a good fucking reason.

I've dodged missile fire weaving in and out of the forests of Forseral.

I took on 3 enemy Reavers at once in the skies of Cyssor.

I've saved base pushes destroying enemy tanks on the cliff edges of Searhus.

I've strafed enemy infantry lines with rockets with more glee than I have yet experienced again.

On my off days I would hover outside enemy towers and wait for the doors to open.

I would wait to find enemy Galaxies and...

I fucking loved Planetside.

I loved Reavers as well.

The few times I've been able to destroy mosquitos with one gave me a massive ePeen stiffy. Favorite one was, when one was on my tail, dropping to about 5' off of the ground and going all-out through a forest until he smacked into a tree...

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    as far as i can tell, all that the countdown was for was planetside turning 7.

lame.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    as far as i can tell, all that the countdown was for was planetside turning 7.

lame.

Yeah it's just a day long BlackOps event.

Big woop.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, I looked at the news thing and I just remembered something really funny.

Each faction had their own, unique knife. They were the same in every way in terms of damage and such: you could swing the knife with normal fire to do a pittance of damage, or you could right-click to switch to TEAR SHIT UP MODE, which attacked slower but did more damage. The only difference was the pretty effects you got when you right-clicked.

The NC had a vibroblade or something. So, it hummed softly when you right-clicked.
    The TR had a chainsaw blade. So, it ROARED when you right-clicked. As in, people could easily hear you.
    The VS had a fucking ENERGY blade. So, not only did it hum loudly, but it would FUCKING GLOW. Even when you were cloaked. So, people could hear AND see you.

Just, like... what were they thinking?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    Oh man, I looked at the news thing and I just remembered something really funny.

Each faction had their own, unique knife. They were the same in every way in terms of damage and such: you could swing the knife with normal fire to do a pittance of damage, or you could right-click to switch to TEAR SHIT UP MODE, which attacked slower but did more damage. The only difference was the pretty effects you got when you right-clicked.

The NC had a vibroblade or something. So, it hummed softly when you right-clicked.
    The TR had a chainsaw blade. So, it ROARED when you right-clicked. As in, people could easily hear you.
    The VS had a fucking ENERGY blade. So, not only did it hum loudly, but it would FUCKING GLOW. Even when you were cloaked. So, people could hear AND see you.

Just, like... what were they thinking?

Probably the same thing when they gave NC a shotgun pistol that kills agiles in 2-3 shots and an assault shotgun that does the same to rexos. And the fucking Phoenix, or whatever the guided missile was called. And the tank that one-shots infantry. And the MAXes with recharging energy shields.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah, ever since day 1 in my planetside life i have always been pro - fuck nc.

i started as a tr but eventually moved to vanu, because magriders are fucking awesome

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Phoenix was even worse in the beta. They toned it down a bit right before the release.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    .... well that was anticlimactic... happy 7th birthday, too bad nobody wants to play you anymore.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it was just a 7 year birthday annoucement ? limp.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Phoenix was even worse in the beta. They toned it down a bit right before the release.

I remember in beta, after people figured out the Phoenix didn't actually have a sensitivity cap, they all used sensitivity "on the fly" software to snipe with them... Killed anything but MAXs in 2 shots and when it controls perfectly it was way the fuck easier to kill with than with a sniper rifle (and could be fired out of 100% protected doorways).

In retrospect, there was so much broken shit in that game that it was actually fun because it was so broken.

AMS plowing, TR AA MAX being the best anti-infantry MAX, Lancer sniping, Surgiles... good times.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Galf0rgheedGalf0rgheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So... Global Agenda is getting close to 1.3, but I've been so bored with it lately I've been thinking of firing up TRIBES.

I somehow completely missed the Planetside boat (I was into Eve for about ALL of Planetside's life) is it still worth a purchase for the old one? Or are the servers full of spawn camping script kiddies with no remaining moderation?

I just might wrangle my stupid EA licensing-thing to the ground for BF2142 if I don't get my FPS fix soon.

Galf0rgheed on
    GlobalAgenda: DeadDave
    RL: AliveDave...or just Dave
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Planetside, for me, was only really good during the first month after release when there were tons of people playing. After the free month was gone and the population halved the game got really boring. I think I stopped playing after 3 months. I have no idea what the expansions and updates to the game have done to make it more fun, but I highly doubt there's the player density needed to make it really truly fun.

Opty on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gentlemen great news:
    If you guys hadn't heard, It looks like Planetside Next is the real thing and it has been in development.

John Smedley has just updated his blog with some new PlanetSide details:

In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hell yes. Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide Next. It's like 8 years ago... but better?!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Holy. Shit. HOW DID I MISS THIS?!

PlanetSide Next is looking to be released in late-Q1/early-Q2 of this very year.

Mossy
    PSn_Mosquito.jpg

Reaver
    PSn_Reaver.jpg
    And all you pilots out there. These are not your daddy's toys. They have a whole new physics and feel to them that will require skilled pilots and will absolutely separate the men from the boys in the cockpit. We've put a lot of time and energy into how things feel in this game.

Can I get a gal drop?
    The Galaxy plays an even more pivotal role in the new game.

c2dty.jpg

Well it's no Mag.. but I guess NC need a tank too.
    l78x.jpg

Apparently these models will look better in-game.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah, ever since day 1 in my planetside life i have always been pro - fuck nc.

i started as a tr but eventually moved to vanu, because magriders are fucking awesome

Ah how I miss the days of bridge warfare in our mag, sniping down reavers who thought they had an easy kill in their sights, and crying into my beer when our kamikaze charge through the enemy infantry is cut short by a dense mine field. Good times.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If PSnext is as good or better than the old one I think my head would explode in joy.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I just hope the aiming actually takes skill this time, I don't mean quake level but at least make the bloom smaller than the target you are shooting at. In Planetside the bloom instantly went way too big.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PSU got another exclusive picture:

Elmo
    PSn_TR_Male.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wow, that looks really nice.

So hyped for this. Glad that they decided to keep the old factions/units around, instead of completely replacing them with new stuff... that's just nostalgia speaking, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Wow, that looks really nice.

So hyped for this. Glad that they decided to keep the old factions/units around, instead of completely replacing them with new stuff... that's just nostalgia speaking, though.

Well they aren't keeping everything.

BFRs are gone 8-)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
This discussion has been closed.