BREAKING NEWS: Fat Kids, Shoes, Fat Kids Can't Enlist

• Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Veretas wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    what I hate is how incredibly boring exercise tends to be

need constant mental stimulation

When I run I like listening to some fast music. That usually keeps my brain happy. But really I do it so I don't have to think about shit. It's a nice escape from stress and anxiety.

Yeah, I like to pull out some good driving Judas Priest, or other Heavy Metal when I'm working out. Plus, I don't give a shit, so I can often be found playing air guitar in between reps at the gym.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also really need to look into getting some proper running shoes. Or maybe just some insoles for my tennis shoes.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Yeah, McDonald's was a rare treat for us.

Think about that sentence.

I know it is nice to go out to eat once in a while but who can eat fast food daily? it's beyond expenive comapred to buying food to make across several days

My boss, his wife and their son, who all work at the shop eat fast food everyday for lunch. My boss also meat Tim Horton's or McDonalds for breakfast every day. Then some days they go out to eat for dinner, I call that the trifecta. I think their colons must hate them.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Nucsh wrote: »
    I eat terribly and I don't exercise

One of these days it is gonna catch up with me D:

It's not fair

It'll be fair when my metabolism slows down

Come to the gym with me

be the Franz to my Hanz

I will come to the gym on the condition that we make Hanz und Franz jokes the entire time

Sheri on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's not fair

Come to the gym with me

be the Franz to my Hanz

I will come to the gym on the condition that we make Hanz und Franz jokes the entire time

Holding you to this.

Javen on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I also really need to look into getting some proper running shoes. Or maybe just some insoles for my tennis shoes.

five fingers

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    i've been sitting on this gym membership for like two weeks coming up with excuses for why i shouldn't start going until the situation is perfect

like "oh, but i can just practice form at home, and then when i go i won't look like an idiot" or "but i don't have a car right now, i should handle that first" or "the friend who wants to be my gym partner can't go yet, i can just wait until he can go"

i'm on my way back from somewhere and i think i'll just stop by the gym and see if i can learn to do a dang ol squat

can't hurt

Have you visited the bigman thread yet?

yeah, those threads are probably why i even got interested in getting stronger. i've been sort of quietly following along for a while, reading what people have to say. bought and read starting strength, enjoyed it and found it convincing, and am psyched about this whole stength thing. just need to get over this "i can just wait until everything's perfect and then start!" hurdle and start actually going to the gym. i think once i start going it shouldn't be a huge issue. i'm not averse to physical exertion, i'm just bad at starting pretty much anything new.

redhead on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's not fair

Come to the gym with me

be the Franz to my Hanz

Holding you to this.

Gonna show up the first time in a ridiculous muscle suit

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

five fingers

Is...is this a brand? I'm not very shoe savvy.

Edit: Oh god those look awful and terrible why would anyone buy those.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

yeah i need a decent pair of NB's or something

chucks are horrible to run in

Faricazy on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i know a few perpetually skinny girls that can eat me under the table

err

yeah

it's kinda hot though

My wife consistently eats like a third more than I do, and she's this tiny little Welsh thing. I'm a great big German bastard and definitely getting squishy around the edges. I consider the whole thing very unfair.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i have a nice pair of puma running shoes that i never use because i am a sack of shit

one of these days

one of these days i will get swoll

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've just been running and doing push-ups and crunches recently. I don't really have the money to invest into proper weight training and the respective diet for it.

If you honestly think that, you're not trying. Also, weight training is bullshit if all you're looking to do is get in shape. You can do everything you need to get ripped with floor space and a good pair of shoes. Hell, if you want to get in shape, challenge yourself to one day be able to pass a Marine Corps physical fitness test. 80 crunches in under 2 minutes, 3 miles in under 28 minutes and 3 dead hang pullups. That's the bare minimum. Also, eating healthy is way cheaper than not, seriously.

That's true I guess. I'll concede to that. Honestly though I'm just looking to get into shape and loose this belly I got. So I've been running about a mile and a half every other day and doing push-ups crunches every day twice a day.

I've kind of stopped the pass week or so due to school though, but no one to blame but myself really. I just wish Target had some produce or something because I don't have a car to get to a grocery store regularly.

For real, bro. I'm all about push-ups. I change my exercising habits a lot, but there was a time where all I was doing was doing as many push-ups as I could as soon as I rolled out of bed in the morning. Once I got to 100, I turned to crunches. 10 minutes after I woke up every morning I was done exercising, with a little bit of a sweat going on and my blood pumping. Then I'd ride my bike everywhere for some cardio and I was golden.

This sounds like a good idea. I might try this out. I really wanna get rid of some fat on my chest and stomach. Thanks Captain

uhhh, that's not how fat loss works. Spot reduction is a myth

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited May 2010

this was actually something that helped me a lot. I resigned to spend some real money on a pair of running shoes at my fiancee's request. I went to a real running store, they had me run on a treadmill barefoot while they video taped. They played it back in slow motion, detailing all the spots in my stride that need support, went into the back and brought out a few pairs. They were around $100, which is a little much for a shoe I'm not wearing all the time, but since I only wear them running or at the gym, they'll last for many years and my feet/legs/back thank me.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've just been running and doing push-ups and crunches recently. I don't really have the money to invest into proper weight training and the respective diet for it.

If you honestly think that, you're not trying. Also, weight training is bullshit if all you're looking to do is get in shape. You can do everything you need to get ripped with floor space and a good pair of shoes. Hell, if you want to get in shape, challenge yourself to one day be able to pass a Marine Corps physical fitness test. 80 crunches in under 2 minutes, 3 miles in under 28 minutes and 3 dead hang pullups. That's the bare minimum. Also, eating healthy is way cheaper than not, seriously.

That's true I guess. I'll concede to that. Honestly though I'm just looking to get into shape and loose this belly I got. So I've been running about a mile and a half every other day and doing push-ups crunches every day twice a day.

I've kind of stopped the pass week or so due to school though, but no one to blame but myself really. I just wish Target had some produce or something because I don't have a car to get to a grocery store regularly.

For real, bro. I'm all about push-ups. I change my exercising habits a lot, but there was a time where all I was doing was doing as many push-ups as I could as soon as I rolled out of bed in the morning. Once I got to 100, I turned to crunches. 10 minutes after I woke up every morning I was done exercising, with a little bit of a sweat going on and my blood pumping. Then I'd ride my bike everywhere for some cardio and I was golden.

This sounds like a good idea. I might try this out. I really wanna get rid of some fat on my chest and stomach. Thanks Captain

uhhh, that's not how fat loss works. Spot reduction is a myth

I'm well aware of this. But those are the biggest things I dislike about me currently. I'm not that much of an idiot.

PS Captain what kind of running store

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what's the cheapest New Balance that's still good? Or Asics?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

this was actually something that helped me a lot. I resigned to spend some real money on a pair of running shoes at my fiancee's request. I went to a real running store, they had me run on a treadmill barefoot while they video taped. They played it back in slow motion, detailing all the spots in my stride that need support, went into the back and brought out a few pairs. They were around $100, which is a little much for a shoe I'm not wearing all the time, but since I only wear them running or at the gym, they'll last for many years and my feet/legs/back thank me.

Running shoes should be replaced more than that even if you are only using them indoors. You'll still beat down the sole.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

Because they're an excellent running shoe?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just got a stationary stand for my bike YES gonna ride ride ride my adderall high

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I just got a stationary stand for my bike YES gonna ride ride ride my adderall high

how much did that set you back?

I've been considering setting one up in my office to use while I watch shows and stuff

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

Oh okay. Sorry they just kind of caught me off guard.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

they are weird-looking, that's true

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    PS Captain what kind of running store

I'm pretty sure the one I went to is locally owned but I've heard a lot of people talk about a similar experience. I bet you can find something like it near you.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    what I hate is how incredibly boring exercise tends to be

need constant mental stimulation

When I run I like listening to some fast music. That usually keeps my brain happy. But really I do it so I don't have to think about shit. It's a nice escape from stress and anxiety.

Yeah, I like to pull out some good driving Judas Priest, or other Heavy Metal when I'm working out. Plus, I don't give a shit, so I can often be found playing air guitar in between reps at the gym.
    Painkiller is Priest's best workout album. I will not hear any arguments as to the otherwise.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I don't think I could ever fully trust a stationary stand. I'd be pedaling as hard as I could and trying not to imagine some strut giving out and dropping the back wheel and me driving myself into the far wall all Loony Toons styles.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

five fingers

I'd still kinda prefer running shoes that don't make me look like I check my apple stock every morning with my ipad while sipping soy chai latte from a biodegradable cup

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok gonna go run and stuff

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »

I don't think I could ever fully trust a stationary stand. I'd be pedaling as hard as I could and trying not to imagine some strut giving out and dropping the back wheel and me driving myself into the far wall all Loony Toons styles.

flintstoning head first into a brick wall man

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

how much did that set you back?

I've been considering setting one up in my office to use while I watch shows and stuff

like sixty bucks; it was a birthday present

I think it's a pretty mid-range one

it's not the kind of thing I wanted to go really cheap for and have it collapse OR something I wanted to drop a hundo on

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

I'd still kinda prefer running shoes that don't make me look like I check my apple stock every morning with my ipad while sipping soy chai latte from a biodegradable cup

Yeah, plus, their whole thing is that their stupid shoes are a "barefoot alternative" and "the human foot doesn't need to be improved upon." But the problem is, asphalt and concrete weren't involved in the evolutionary process of our feet, so we need a buffer, but just a slab of rubber in the shape of a foot.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Vibrams are really well liked by some runners but like every other running shoe on the market are not for everyone.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

Yeah, plus, their whole thing is that their stupid shoes are a "barefoot alternative" and "the human foot doesn't need to be improved upon." But the problem is, asphalt and concrete weren't involved in the evolutionary process of our feet, so we need a buffer, but just a slab of rubber in the shape of a foot.

I haven't had any trouble with asphalt with mine.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    of course the human foot needed to be improved upon

that's the point of shoes

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

five fingers

I haven't had any trouble with asphalt with mine.

I'm probably wrong, but they just seemed like another marketing gimmick, designed to sell a product with low material costs at high prices.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    for running, i recommend the asics nimbus line. they give great support and are pretty comfy for long runs. i have the asics nimbus 10, do about 5-7 miles a day, several days a week, and they've lasted me about 8 months. probably gonna get them replaced soon with the asics nimbus 11, hopefully, since the instep have been fallin apart a bit, but they've lasted longer than previous running shoes i've tried, plus just feel better, if that makes sense.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wear Five Fingers KSO Treks as a everyday normal shoe and they feel great.

It feels even more awesome doing sprints with them on soft mushy grass.

Oh god walking in mud is fantastic too!

Dogs also love them!

04032010214.jpg

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those stupid fucking shoes

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Augh they're so creepy looking

I'm curious to try them out, but not curious enough to splurge on a pair

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i wanna get some VFF's for river activities

everything else boots and shoes

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oh wow those would be kind of neat

I always stand on the balls of my feet when my shoes are off and my balance is much better that way

basically my toes splay out like some kind of horrible bipedal frog

Skull Man on