As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

you like SCHOOL in the summertime (TFS&AMP'D COME TO SENSES, SAY AMERICA IS BEST)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A girl I went to high school with moved halfway across the country and ended up as a waitress.

I guess she wins? Since she's farther away from our hometown than me?

(i'm not saying waitresses are failures please don't poison me. I always tip)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I grew up in a suburb outside of Chicago, then lived and went to school in rural Illinois, and then moved to Chicago

I can't really see myself living in many other cities unless they have public transportation and cultural variety at least as good as we have here

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mono, do you live in this area? there've been rumblings of a windsor meetup for a little while

nah but I've been up there

I was going to go again last summer but the passport thing went into effect and I've neglected to purchase one

maybe soon though, I'd like to spend some time in Toronto again too

Monoxide on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to move away from ireland for a good long while job permitting, but i think I'd have to come back because I like too much

FAQ on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    just finished my last on campus final up
    I have two online classes this summer but this is a weird feeling

natek on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sometimes i miss living in sacramento.

sometimes i remember that i weighed 330 pounds and thought daily about killing myself while i lived there.

why would i want to leave cheyenne? i like it here.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't wait to get out of Florida. I've got family in Hawaii. I'll choose that to be my home state.

Rinder on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FAQ wrote: »
    I'd like to move away from ireland for a good long while job permitting, but i think I'd have to come back because I like too much

My sister's boyfriend is Irish, he was offered a transfer to Germany because the place he had started working needed a programmer desperately. They offered accommodation, good pay and free German lessons! Lived there for two years, had a great time, before he moved to the Sheffield branch. You might get lucky like he did!

Liiya on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish I lived in Austin. Low rent, hot weather, hippies, Mexican food. Ah well, no such luck.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    seriously the idea that I have to run away from the town that has the house I grew up in and the graveyard that holds my family's bones or "common knowledge" will brand me a loser is offensive

my father and I cleared the land we built our house on with our bare hands over the course of my entire childhood. ten acres of scrub oak and sand felled, dragged and burned

I watched that house being raised up and knew that one day after my parents died my sister or I would move into that house and I know that it'll be in my family for as long as we can hold onto it

"Unsuccessful"? Go fuck yourself. The day I'd stalk people on the internet I haven't seen in a dozen years just to prove I "beat" them is the day I hang myself

Skull, I had the song from the How To Train Your Dragon OST that Monkeyfeet posted in the theme song thread playing as I was reading this post

It was pretty inspiring

oh man this is great

I guess I should calm down though

one thing I've noticed about being on Adderall is that I have like, a much shorter temper

basically the things that normally let roll off my back I now fixate on and get super like, YOU SHALL NOT BREAK ME about

Skull Man on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I wish I lived in Austin. Low rent, hot weather, hippies, Mexican food. Ah well, no such luck.

I wish I lived there because it's nearer to emily

sigh

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Liiya wrote: »

My sister's boyfriend is Irish, he was offered a transfer to Germany because the place he had started working needed a programmer desperately. They offered accommodation, good pay and free German lessons! Lived there for two years, had a great time, before he moved to the Sheffield branch. You might get lucky like he did!

there was a company hiring like 20 maths graduates a few months back but I missed the application

they send you all over, hoping to find something else like that after I graduate

FAQ on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    seriously the idea that I have to run away from the town that has the house I grew up in and the graveyard that holds my family's bones or "common knowledge" will brand me a loser is offensive

my father and I cleared the land we built our house on with our bare hands over the course of my entire childhood. ten acres of scrub oak and sand felled, dragged and burned

I watched that house being raised up and knew that one day after my parents died my sister or I would move into that house and I know that it'll be in my family for as long as we can hold onto it

"Unsuccessful"? Go fuck yourself. The day I'd stalk people on the internet I haven't seen in a dozen years just to prove I "beat" them is the day I hang myself

Right on.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was born in Florida, I guess my home town is there?

I win!

Yukira on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean I want to move away from where I grew up, but that's because I just don't like it, not to put on a facade of 'success'.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i grew up in texas and will probably never live there again, but that is almost 100% due to weather

satansfingers on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Liiya wrote: »

there was a company hiring like 20 maths graduates a few months back but I missed the application

they send you all over, hoping to find something else like that after I graduate

Damn, I bet you kicked yourself, be brilliant if you could get another chance at that.

I'd love to have a go at working in a different country, because I've never really been out of the UK. If you're happy where live, that's what matters.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I could see myself living in NYC or Seattle or Austin or Toronto

maybe Boston would be cool too

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i grew up in texas and will probably never live there again, but that is almost 100% due to weather

This is why work in a place with air conditioning and the only time you go out is to go to Sea World or go tubing.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh yeah, it's hot as shit where I live and I hate the heat.

Also winter wear is sexy.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok vimeo is a lot better than youtube. Stupid thing kept dropping frames BUT NO MORE

Here's my latest thing

http://vimeo.com/11515373

I know it's not rendered but for the love of god people please tell me what you like/dislike about it. Pretty please?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yukira wrote: »

This is why work in a place with air conditioning and the only time you go out is to go to Sea World or go tubing.

i mean obviously air conditioning in texas is pretty ubiquitous, but i like being able to go outside and not feel like i am melting

satansfingers on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    winter is okay for like three months

not eight (snowing waay too much for may right now, which is to say: at all)

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Veretas wrote: »
    Ok vimeo is a lot better than youtube. Stupid thing kept dropping frames BUT NO MORE

Here's my latest thing

I know it's not rendered but for the love of god people please tell me what you like/dislike about it. Pretty please?

I don't know if I'm qualified to say anything, but I find the movements a little too exaggerated.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Here's my latest thing

Getting a real Toy Story vibe from the facial expressions and the way the character moves. I like that.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    actually, that's the one thing that will probably drive me out of chicago eventually

the winter fucking sucks, and summer gets way too hot

we compensate by having an awesome street festival like every weekend from may to september though

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i want to go somewhere where the weather is good, the ladies are attractive and my many shortcomings can be masked by an exotic accent

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Everyone is qualified! I mean it's not a subjective thing (well okay there is a little in some aspects but that's just choices on what the character should do.)

Any real pops or jitters you guys see? Something that feels off about it?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    actually, that's the one thing that will probably drive me out of chicago eventually

we compensate by having an awesome street festival like every weekend from may to september though

And now that the Eisenhower is completely torn apart, all the assholes from the West suburbs are unable to crowd them out!
    I live in the west suburbs.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    i actually like windsor a lot. it's cheap to live and there are some awesome things going on with grassroots efforts to revitalize the downtown core and the art community here.

unfortunately, there is no money and no jobs and a lot of racism and homophobia

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Here's my latest thing

That is really awesome.

One critique though, I feel like when he bends over and laughs his expression is a bit odd. Like he shouldn't be keeping eye contact. Maybe if he looked down or closed his eyes or something. I know absolutely nothing about animation or art, so maybe this is a dumb idea.

Maf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Everyone is qualified! I mean it's not a subjective thing (well okay there is a little in some aspects but that's just choices on what the character should do.)

Any real pops or jitters you guys see? Something that feels off about it?

Doesn't seem to have any pops or jitters. I'm at work so I can't comment on the audio if there is any.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maf wrote: »

Here's my latest thing

That is really awesome.

One critique though, I feel like when he bends over and laughs his expression is a bit odd. Like he shouldn't be keeping eye contact. Maybe if he looked down or closed his eyes or something. I know absolutely nothing about animation or art, so maybe this is a dumb idea.

Nono, I feel ya. That laugh has been such a trouble spot for me. I'll see how it works out.

And yeah there's audio. Wedding Crashers clip

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the eyes are fine personally

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maf wrote: »

Here's my latest thing

That is really awesome.

Nono, I feel ya. That laugh has been such a trouble spot for me. I'll see how it works out.

And yeah there's audio. Wedding Crashers clip

Ah, well, for the eyes, if he's laughing that hard, it might look better if he closed his eyes then opened them again if it's bugging you how it is.

It didn't bother me though.

Yukira on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the laugh comes too soon, maybe a bigger pause before it would help make it more natural feeling.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    my cat has just taken over my mousepad

what are you even doing, cat

redhead on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    A girl I went to high school with moved halfway across the country and ended up as a waitress.

Certainly in many respects she's winning. Moving away is liberating. You're free to do what you like.

Anyway, if you want to live in the same town you were born in, that's fine. I'm not knocking it.

But some of us have a fiery sense of adventure in us. Some of us yearn for freedom. Some of us are outraged by the injustices in the world. Some of us will not be controlled.

I speak of individual liberty. I'm not bound by the land and familial obligations and history, etc. I'm my own man. A free man. I embody the spirit of the great pioneers of the American frontier.

Also, to tie this up with the girlfriend lessons that should be taught in high school, if you move abroad, your prospects go up considerably. Whatever kind of ladies you went for in your homeland...aim higher. You can do it.

I've gotten plenty of action just on being American. A lot of "accent" nonsense. Many of the ladies like the accent. But not just the accent. I've had success from women who like the "American personality" (whatever that is) or "American mentality".

So yeah, if you don't want to move, that's your business.

But when you're in your mid 20s, I think it's important to roll the proverbial dice. Take a chance. Hop a steamer for Pago Pago. What do you have to lose? Even if it fails, you can still say, "At least I tried".

Five, ten, twenty years from now do you want to look back and think, "Man, I should have just gone for it. Done some adventuring. Now it's too late"? Of course, you don't.

Most people don't have the intestinal fortitude for such adventure. There are men and there are men. You know what I mean? Probably not because they don't teach this stuff in high school. Only at the Penny Arcade forums do you get an education like this.

You know, I used to be a substitute teacher so I'm not totally unqualified. I did this teaching job because at first, I planned on leaving the country via one of those crappy TEFL jobs that they have in East Asia. I also figured that I should be able to get something going with some of the local ladies there based on again on this "American" appeal :winky:.

But yeah, I didn't go that route because I figured out a way to get citizenship in an EU country based on ancestry. And then I used that to move to England. Sweet.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

And now that the Eisenhower is completely torn apart, all the assholes from the West suburbs are unable to crowd them out!
    I live in the west suburbs.

now all we need to do is shut down the Metra and you suburbanites will have to start your own weekend festivals!

actually, now that the Eisenhower is torn apart, all of the assholes that live in the city are taking the Kennedy instead and fucking up my commute from near the loop to the northwest suburbs. it shouldn't take 45-60 fucking minutes to get from Division to Montrose at 7am, it should take 15-20. I want my highway back so I can stop driving almost the entire length of Lincoln Ave. every day. :x

Monoxide on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Certainly in many respects she's winning. Moving away is liberating. You're free to do what you like.

Anyway, if you want to live in the same town you were born in, that's fine. I'm not knocking it.

But some of us have a fiery sense of adventure in us. Some of us yearn for freedom. Some of us are outraged by the injustices in the world. Some of us will not be controlled.

I speak of individual liberty. I'm not bound by the land and familial obligations and history, etc. I'm my own man. A free man. I embody the spirit of the great pioneers of the American frontier.

Also, to tie this up with the girlfriend lessons that should be taught in high school, if you move abroad, your prospects go up considerably. Whatever kind of ladies you went for in your homeland...aim higher. You can do it.

I've gotten plenty of action just on being American. A lot of "accent" nonsense. Many of the ladies like the accent. But not just the accent. I've had success from women who like the "American personality" (whatever that is) or "American mentality".

So yeah, if you don't want to move, that's your business.

But when you're in your mid 20s, I think it's important to roll the proverbial dice. Take a chance. Hop a steamer for Pago Pago. What do you have to lose? Even if it fails, you can still say, "At least I tried".

Five, ten, twenty years from now do you want to look back and think, "Man, I should have just gone for it. Done some adventuring. Now it's too late"? Of course, you don't.

Most people don't have the intestinal fortitude for such adventure. There are men and there are men. You know what I mean? Probably not because they don't teach this stuff in high school. Only at the Penny Arcade forums do you get an education like this.

You know, I used to be a substitute teacher so I'm not totally unqualified. I did this teaching job because at first, I planned on leaving the country via one of those crappy TEFL jobs that they have in East Asia. I also figured that I should be able to get something going with some of the local ladies there based on again on this "American" appeal :winky:.

But yeah, I didn't go that route because I figured out a way to get citizenship in an EU country based on ancestry. And then I used that to move to England. Sweet.

this was a good use of 30 minutes

redhead on
This discussion has been closed.