As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Also, this Azarenka/Halep match was tense as hell before it hit a rain delay.

Go Vika.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

His response, though. The dude is wayyyy nicer about it than I would have been.

• Options
    Roberta Vinci? ROBERTA VINCI?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Da, Vinci.

(Boom beer me five up top.)

I'm just glad Serena lost, wonder if she'll be passive aggressive in losing like she always is.

I want Stan/Cilic final.

• Options
    Your new avatar is freaking me out man.

Stan/Cilic final would be awesome. Anyone but Nole...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey remember when Seinfeld dated the deaf lineswoman at the US Open?

And Kramer was a ballboy who injured Monica Seles?

It's all connected!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Boo Vinci. How could you have been rooting against Serena?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Poor Cilic. He was so obviously affected by his injury. It was hard to watch.

• Options
    That's what it looks like when someone loses 36% of their ranking points, by the way.

Ouch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guess we're having a Federer/Djokovic US Open final on Sunday.

Federer looked great today. Bursting with confidence and aggressively pursuing the ball with serve and volley tactics and a weird serve return from right behind the point of impact. Obviously Djokovic also looked great, but his opponent wasn't really putting the pressure on him like Federer's was.

It'll probably be a good watch!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Guess we're having a Federer/Djokovic US Open final on Sunday.

Federer looked great today. Bursting with confidence and aggressively pursuing the ball with serve and volley tactics and a weird serve return from right behind the point of impact. Obviously Djokovic also looked great, but his opponent wasn't really putting the pressure on him like Federer's was.

It'll probably be a good watch!

It's two of the best of all time. While Federer isn't exactly at the height of his powers, he's still been better lately than he's been in years, while Djokovic is clearly the best in the world at the moment. It would be a huge surprise IMO if it wasn't a good match.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Da, Vinci.

(Boom beer me five up top.)

I'm just glad Serena lost, wonder if she'll be passive aggressive in losing like she always is.

I want Stan/Cilic final.

She's being pretty cool, actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I always liked Pennetta, she had a nice smile. Might was well retire on top, though I would play the year end finals because why not, you're automatically seeded.

I didn't realize the top prize money is so much now, it used to be 1 million and the big draw of the US Open series was to win in the other tournaments to get a US Open bonus. And that was just 10 years ago!

• Options
    Yeah, so, turns out that ESPN just did an amazingly shitty job of reporting on Pennetta's retirement. This is her last US Open, but she still plans to finish out the year. Apparently Eurosport asked her, but ESPN forgot to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Yeah, so, turns out that ESPN just did an amazingly shitty job of reporting on Pennetta's retirement. This is her last US Open, but she still plans to finish out the year. Apparently Eurosport asked her, but ESPN forgot to.

That's because the story is SERENA LOST. In fairness, that's the story that immediately sells to America.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    15 minutes to the final. It's weird that this is the one I'm most excited for this year. I kinda hope Federer wins it.

• Options
    I want Federer to win, since he's still from the "last" generation. My generation. The best generation.

Do it for Hewitt.

• Options
    Hey, are we actually going to get to watch the match?

Freakin'... freakin' weather and shit.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I want Federer to win, since he's still from the "last" generation. My generation. The best generation.

Do it for Hewitt.

I want Federer to win because he's not Novak Djokovic. Like Dr. Nick once said, "I'm getting so sick of that guy..."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't want Federer to win just because Djokovic fell and hurt himself. Jesus.

• Options
    Nobody can say Federer just handed that title over without a fight. That was kind of an insane match.

• Options
    Who is this crazy Raonic character and how did he beat Wawrinka?!

Gonna have to look this match up when I get home.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Who is this crazy Raonic character and how did he beat Wawrinka?!

Gonna have to look this match up when I get home.

Canadian... next big thing (apparently).

Totally forgot to set up my recordings for this match. :(

• Options
    Yeah I saw that headline, at least it's not as bad as Nadal losing in the first. Raonic is basically Canadian Roddick.

Hewitt is officially retired though after losing to Ferrer in round two, I'm super sad. But he's got a smoking hot wife and two or three happy kids, he'll be fine. Kyrgios and Tomic both lost though so I'm happy and maybe some other Aussie can rise up and not be a dick.

I'm hoping Nishikori beats Djokovic, Berdych beats Federer so either getting to the final will be great, and that anyone but Murray makes it in the bottom half (though Monfils would probably be running on fumes in a final). At least here at the QF level, there's a nice blend of old and new which is what I always like about the AO.

• Options
    I will never be able to root for Murray until his attitude gets adjusted.

• Options
    Murray's basically the only player who comes out and gives support to women and women's issues when an ATP player says something shitty or dumb, so I'm willing to cut him some slack if he yells at himself during a match.

Raonic has a big serve and wears a stupid sleeve on his arm for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I see Kerber beat Serena, who seemed to not make excuses this time, so hooray!

But are you ready for the big match everyone's been waiting for, Djokovic/Murray?

.....yeah, me either. I don't see Murray putting up a fight and doesn't have the push that Wimbledon or having no majors and playing in the US Open final did

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    It must be fairly awful to be consistently the second best Tennis player in the world

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It must be fairly awful to be consistently the second best Tennis player in the world

Yeah, pretty awful

yPAd45e.png?2

RocketScience on
  • Options
    Djokovic is so far ahead of everyone else right now that I can't even think of another player who will overtake him anytime soon.

I love Murray, but it's pretty obvious that he's less than Novak in most of the ways that count. (Okay, I think Murray's slice is better, and I think in terms of sheer foot speed Murray is faster, but neither of those are going to catapult him to #1.)

Federer still has his moments of brilliance, of course, and he and Murray are the only ones who even put up a fight when they come up against Djokovic.

Who knows what the hell is up with Nadal... I hope he gets his shit together and plays competitively this clay season, but I'm not holding my breath.

None of the up and comers have been consistent enough to make me think they're going to crack the top five any time soon. It looked like Dimitrov was going to after a really great 2014, but he played like shit in 2015 and couldn't get it together. Tomic is a joke. Kyrgios will need to stay away from drama for five minutes in order to go deep at a big tournament. Raonic is so thoroughly hateable that I hope he isn't the next big thing. Kei Nishikori is bad ass, and he can obviously string together seven good matches, but he needs to be more consistent.

Blah.

I feel like the women's tour is more fun right now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sharapova had to publicly admit today that she failed a drug test. What was she positive for? Meldonium.

If you're anything like me, you just said, "What the hell is meldonium?"
    A 2015 paper written by authors at the Center for Preventive Doping Research and the European Monitoring Center for Emerging Doping Agents, described the "anti-ischemic drug" as one that could perhaps demonstrate "an increase in endurance performance of athletes, improved rehabilitation after exercise, protection against stress, and enhanced activations of central nervous system (CNS) functions."

Basically it's for blood flow issues. There are lots of reasons somebody might take it.

I'm not a huge Sharapova fan (quite the contrary actually) but this stuff just went on the list of banned athletic medications this year and I can easily see how someone might miss that. And it's not like she was taking, like, insane anabolic steroids or something. I dunno, this just seems like it's way overblown to me, but then I don't know why we obsess over so-called "purity" in athletic competition anyway. Is somebody who takes a beta blocker for social anxiety getting an unfair advantage somehow?

• Options
    Bud Collins died on Friday.

God that makes me sad. He was so likable and always the nice sideline guy who was a pioneer of player-turned-commentator during the prime of American tennis for three decades and later became tennis Harold Lederman, but I always loved some of his later stuff, like in 1989 holding up a cup of red clay at Roland Garros and talking about how this was kicked in American players faces for so long and that Michael Chang might finally be the one to overcome clay,

Super RIP, bro.

• Options
    Anybody else watching the US Open?

Monfils has been fun to watch, as usual.

• Options
    Venus is choking hardcore right now.

• Options
    Nishikori just knocked Murray out in the quarterfinal. Can't say I'm displeased.

I'm really rooting for Monfils at this point, but he won't win.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ooh dang Murray with the let down after the Olympics

• Options
    To be honest I very rarely root for Murray. He's such a bad sport.

• Options
    The DelPo match last night was heartbreaking. The first set got dropped in a tie break and from then on all Wawrinka had to do was run his opponent ragged.

• Options
    Love to see Stan, Gael, or Kei win this, but the bottom half feels like whoever wins is going to be so tired Djokovic will get another slam, because Monfils always burns out in the semis that he reaches

• Options
    Regardless of who wins, I'm happy Monfils and Nishikori made it this far.