As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol:The **** offspring of Ronald Reagan and an **** American Ninja !!!

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's weird. I did the exact same thing, and that didn't happen to me.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The "headslam" option is glorious.

Gloomy russian bastard should have just cooperated.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    So it turns out you can "win" at the museum.
    Second play through I did Moscow first and teamed up with SIE at the embassy.

Then when I hit Rome I had her act as handler during Marburg's mansion, since it turns out she and Marburg hate each other. I've gone to take the Museum mission and in the briefing it mentioned that SIE got ahold of one of her contacts in Deus Vault and organised for the explosive's detonators to malfunction so they will not explode.

We'll see what happens, but that would mean if you did it right you could get complete both objectives at the end of both Moscow and Rome. I'm wondering if it's possible in Taipei as well.
    Pretty sure that's not what that means. What it does mean...
    Is that when you go after the bomb, you have more time to take out the guys and deactivate the bomb.

It doesn't mean that the bomb doesn't go off at all.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Then when I hit Rome I had her act as handler during Marburg's mansion, since it turns out she and Marburg hate each other. I've gone to take the Museum mission and in the briefing it mentioned that SIE got ahold of one of her contacts in Deus Vault and organised for the explosive's detonators to malfunction so they will not explode.

We'll see what happens, but that would mean if you did it right you could get complete both objectives at the end of both Moscow and Rome. I'm wondering if it's possible in Taipei as well.
    Pretty sure that's not what that means. What it does mean...
    Is that when you go after the bomb, you have more time to take out the guys and deactivate the bomb.

It doesn't mean that the bomb doesn't go off at all.
    That seems to be the case. Just finished it saving Madison and the bomb does go off.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there only one headslam moment in the game?

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is there only one headslam moment in the game?
    As far as I know.

There's a youtube vidoe with a bunch of asshole moves on it, but I think that's the only headslam.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Only one headslam.

Lotta Execute ones tho.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ha ha.

"No doubt you are here to cause trouble, and trouble requires ammunition. Perhaps you will buy enough to cover my medical expenses."

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One thing I think would have been really nice though is if the environment were a bit more splinter celly. Let me interact with the environment more, by jumping over ledges, climbing onto buildings, and generally just moving about more freely. It annoys me that I need a little marker and an on-screen prompt to be able to jump over a gap.

I don't even need that, but it would've been nice if you could just shoot out lights. Cause one option is to play through as a stealthy agent, right? Stealth is supposed to be one aspect of this game. So it would've made sense to shoot out lights. Then it's dark and you're less exposed and that would help with sneaking around. Like that game with the splinters and the cells. But you can't shoot out any lights in this game. They're all completely indestructible. It's fucking retarded.

Right now, I'm stuck in Marburg's villa. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to progress.
    I met Marburg, he tasered me, and now I'm in his villa without any guns. I decided to play through the campaign as a soldier, cause I heard the stealth in this game was bullshit. See indestructible lights above. So all my skill points are in Assault Rifle and Toughness. The shooting in this game is terrible so I felt like putting a lot of points into the assault rifle would help with that. I don't have any points in Stealth or Martial Arts. And again, no weapons whatsoever. The game stripped me of them. So now I have to sneak around and try to get my gear back. But I keep running into enemies that end up kicking my ass and detecting me. Cause I don't have any points in Martial Arts or Stealth. It's really frustrating. Choice is my weapon, the game says, but apparently my choice led to getting raped in this level. It's uh... it's just dumb. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they made this.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You are "forced" to battle a total of 5 enemies before you get your gear back.

If you can't take care of 5 enemies, two of which have their back to you, I don't think the game is to blame much.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Um, it's hard to kill enemies in melee when you don't have any points in Martial Arts. And that's if they aren't just shooting the shit out of you.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is?

Run up to them

Hit E until they are not there anymore.

You've got points in toughness :/

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You should be able to handle them without martial arts.

Try luring them around corners so you only have to fight them one at time.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to have to replay this very soon... I didn't even see Sie in my play through

What did people do about the listening post mission (rome I think)
    The man behind the desk looked very suspicious and didn't answer the pass phrase correctly. I figured he was from a super secret bad guy organisation so I shot him. Then in a later meeting with somebody they were bitching about how I'd been announcing my presence all over rome :(

Pete0r on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    About one with the shadows, the game seems to go back and forth about what counts as spotted. In espionage training, if you get a yellow arrow, you're "detected." In other missions, you can get a yellow arrow and the game will be like, "Awesome job getting in and out totally undected!" Considering yellow just means enemies are alerted and doesn't always mean they know you're there, it's confusing. I'll just chalk it up to another bad gameplay decision, like the times when you stealth through, complete an objective and now because of plot everyone knows you're there.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I finished off Moscow last night and beat the game this morning. Over all, I found it to be quite fun. Throughout the whole game, I only had one moment where an enemy saw me through a wall (the wall had a hole in it and some boards over it, so my guess is the game didn't register the boards as blocking line of sight). As for the end game:
    I really enjoyed the final mission in the game. It felt pretty cinematic breaking out of the Grey Box and taking out all the enemies. I had allied with Albatross and G22 and thought it was just awesome having Sis bust me out. The fact that she sided with me against Malburg was a bonus I was not expecting.

The only part of the mission I hated was killing Darci. Not because I like him, but because he had that annoying grenade spam where he through 5 grenades at once that made him a pain in the ass.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pete0r wrote: »
    I'm going to have to replay this very soon... I didn't even see Sie in my play through

What did people do about the listening post mission (rome I think)
    The man behind the desk looked very suspicious and didn't answer the pass phrase correctly. I figured he was from a super secret bad guy organisation so I shot him. Then in a later meeting with somebody they were bitching about how I'd been announcing my presence all over rome :(

That's sort of what the game wants you to do. To fuck up.

What you should do is simply play along and stay calm.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't seem to get awareness to work. I press A on it, but nothing happens. Or maybe I'm not close enough to them or something. I dunno.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I can't seem to get awareness to work. I press A on it, but nothing happens. Or maybe I'm not close enough to them or something. I dunno.
    Awareness is an active skill that you activate with the right bumper (xbox). Later it becomes a passive skill that's always on.

I don't know what you're doing with A. :P

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Leveled awareness is always on. If you mean the skill you get even with no points in stealth, and you're choosing it and activating with LB, might be a bug?
    Right now, I'm stuck in Marburg's villa.
    Yeah, my first run had a similar predicament, with a similar build. It took a few tries, but eventually what worked was lockpicking the door on the left and hiding behind it inside once it swung open. I was able to instant kill takedown two of the guards as they came in, and beat up the remainder. I didn't have very many points in toughness then, but if you've got iron will, that should help. Also there's a medkit in the room.

Basically I consider it a lesson like chainshot: if you have no stealth, take a few points in martial arts, which is slightly cheaper than other combat skills, in anticipation of that poorly designed section.

Also, to whoever I was responding to earlier about confronting Mina?
    This time Mina hated me and when I found her at the bomb, I had the dossier option. I can't remember if I had it last time, but I don't remember the conversation so either I didn't or I chose to free her asap. Prior to this, I also had the dossier option during her final call before you move to the last safehouse, but she wouldn't say anything unless it was in person, and since she hated me and wasn't going to visit, that was at the bomb.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question:
    Does Sis have different allegiances in different playthroughs? Because I've seen people refer to her as on Brayko's side, and Marburg's side, but in my playthrough she was Albatross' bodyguard. I'm going through my second playthrough in an attempt to have her free me from the table.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Just went through it, she didn't appear to be an option for me. I didn't take her with me in the Embassy though.

I got an email from her at the end tho congratulating me on fucking Marburg up.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, to whoever I was responding to earlier about confronting Mina?
    This time Mina hated me and when I found her at the bomb, I had the dossier option. I can't remember if I had it last time, but I don't remember the conversation so either I didn't or I chose to free her asap. Prior to this, I also had the dossier option during her final call before you move to the last safehouse, but she wouldn't say anything unless it was in person, and since she hated me and wasn't going to visit, that was at the bomb.
    I've confronted Mina in two different places;
    Once, when she tries to have her way with you at the end of the last city and once when I rescued her.

This time I'm seeing how her hating my guts will effect the outcome (I'm at -10 now).

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    "A Fistful of Diplomacy" may be the greatest Perk name in the game.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What about Plan B: Kill It With Fire?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What about Plan B: Kill It With Fire?
    Also a good one.

The stealthy bleeding heart ones are less entertaining than the kill-crazy dick ones, I've noticed.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Tried to do the Tower Bug mission. Paid for the sniper rifle and everything, but there was no one for me to use it on. I ran out of pistol ammo and got mowed down by the checkpoint.

What are the flag icons on the map?

Maybe I should do the other mission first.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    question on the first darcy mission

I just got the intel and fought off like 8 guards and now I'm trying to get topside

the place that looks like where I should be going is blocked off by a cell door

and when I go up to it the game freezes for a second

is this a bug or am I going the wrong way

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got my PC copy in the mail today. Any word on an upcoming patch? Between the issues I've heard about and my full queue, I could stand to wait.

Also what's the verdict on xbox controller v. keyboard/mouse?

captaink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I just got the intel and fought off like 8 guards and now I'm trying to get topside

I think I know where you are. There should be a door directly to the left of the cell door, if I'm right.

I don't know about the freezing.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If I recall correctly (and if I understand you correctly)...

The path you came in from has been blocked off. However, another door that was closed before should have opened somewhere around there, leading to a different path back up.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad

No patch in sight.

@ Kuribo: Darcy mission - After you beat everyone, there should be a door that you can go through to go topside (where the 8 people came from).

BlackDove on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad
    This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with this, and honestly I feel a little dirty.

The gamepad controls are much less issue prone.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    well, it's either glitched or I'm a complete moron. I'm not ruling either one out just yet. My awareness power doesn't work anymore either.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I think I know where you are. There should be a door directly to the left of the cell door, if I'm right.

I go through one open cell door and to the right there's another cell door covering what looks like the way out, if the waypoint is any indicator. the only other possible way out I've found is down the steps, but the door down there isn't working. maybe I'm missing a door somewhere because the cave is kind of dark

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the season premiere of Burn Notice got me in the mood so I purchased this.

So far, it's not nearly as awful as a good chunk of the reviews led me to believe.

Well, except for the part where it said my save game files were corrupt and I had to start over. That sucked.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad
    This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with this, and honestly I feel a little dirty.

*standard reply where I vaguely and indirectly intimate you are inadequate when it comes to using the keyboard/mouse, how there is nothing "issue prone" about it unless YOU are the issue, followed by the defense of the game and how there isn't anything wrong with it/straight insult directed at gamepads and the inability to control the z axis while using the right hand thumb buttons, likening it to the equivalent of wishing to be paraplegic*

Moving on...
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I go through one open cell door and to the right there's another cell door covering what looks like the way out, if the waypoint is any indicator. the only other possible way out I've found is down the steps, but the door down there isn't working. maybe I'm missing a door somewhere because the cave is kind of dark

@4:55

BlackDove on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just beat it going through as a Recruit. Kick-ass, two thumbs up.

Verr on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad

Gamepad all the way! :)

Turkey on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad

I agree that the gamepad controls are much better thought out, and probably do work better. However, I got fed up of how long the circuit minigames took, not to mention the lockpick ones, so I went back. Maybe if someone found an ini hack to let you use both at once I could use it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.