As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol:The **** offspring of Ronald Reagan and an **** American Ninja !!!

• Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just finished up Moscow, my last stop before endgame. I had a chance to check my email but haven't actually started endgame yet, as I had to go to work. Shit is about to get real. I can't wait to get home and finish it.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad
    This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with this, and honestly I feel a little dirty.

The gamepad controls are much less issue prone.

I agree that the gamepad controls are much better thought out, and probably do work better. However, I got fed up of how long the circuit minigames took, not to mention the lockpick ones, so I went back. Maybe if someone found an ini hack to let you use both at once I could use it
    Also the problems with the mouse smoothing and other input processing that can cause the camera to jerk around at random, independent of mouse movement, making the game nigh unplayable. That's less than ideal.

Granted that I haven't tried the ini edits yet to see if that would fix it, mostly because I'm having better luck on the minigames with a gamepad.

Monger on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's no jerking or any independent random mouse movement. Any jerking you may be doing is your own fault or your own hardware instability.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is the jerking ocurring on any other games? I've noticed this game is very, very touchy about input.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There's no jerking or any independent random mouse movement. Any jerking you may be doing is your own fault or your own hardware instability.
    Obviously you haven't hit the same bug that some of the rest of us have. I've never had this issue in any other game I've ever played with a mouse, including the ones I'm playing simultaneously along with Alpha Protocol.

Monger on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That video helps a ton, blackdove. Thanks.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Obviously you haven't hit the same bug that some of the rest of us have. I've never had this issue in any other game I've ever played with a mouse, including the ones I'm playing simultaneously along with Alpha Protocol.

Yes, I haven't hit any bug, because the game responds as it should, and it responds as any other game does.

In fact, the game may have been designed to control as if it was a normal game, and miraculously does so.

Like I said. Any "jerking" is your own specific bug or problem or instability or whatever.

Game as is designed to control with a key/mouse: no problem with it. Business as usual.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Keyboard/mouse > gamepad
    This is probably the first time I've ever disagreed with this, and honestly I feel a little dirty.

The gamepad controls are much less issue prone.

I agree that the gamepad controls are much better thought out, and probably do work better. However, I got fed up of how long the circuit minigames took, not to mention the lockpick ones, so I went back. Maybe if someone found an ini hack to let you use both at once I could use it
    Also the problems with the mouse smoothing and other input processing that can cause the camera to jerk around at random, independent of mouse movement, making the game nigh unplayable. That's less than ideal.

Granted that I haven't tried the ini edits yet to see if that would fix it, mostly because I'm having better luck on the minigames with a gamepad.
    The mouse controls were crappy in Borderlands too, but without as much stuttering (which I haven't actually experienced either). The ini hacks fixed it for me, either way.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's nothing in that video that tells me why I can't activate awareness though.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There's nothing in that video that tells me why I can't activate awareness though.

How many points do you have invested in stealth?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

you might have upgraded your stealth skill to the point that it's now passive, and therefore no longer can be activiated.

EDIT: Semi-Beat'd

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't block. Enemies can block every melee attack I throw at them. Why can't I block

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes, I haven't hit any bug, because the game responds as it should, and it responds as any other game does.

In fact, the game may have been designed to control as if it was a normal game, and miraculously does so.

Like I said. Any "jerking" is your own specific bug or problem or instability or whatever.

Game as is designed to control with a key/mouse: no problem with it. Business as usual.
    Dude, I'm just saying. Other people have mentioned it. It's something to be aware of.

Monger on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it that bug that pops up at 2-4 points in stealth where you try to activate it, but the only thing that happens is the icon appears in the corner for half a second?

I had that, it was fucking annoying, but getting the passive awareness ability made it a non-issue.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Dude, I'm just saying. Other people have mentioned it. It's something to be aware of.

That's the point. You didn't.

You said that the game is nigh unplayable, and what you didn't say, is that the reason for that is your own shit being fucked.

That's something to be aware of for those that might not have any issues, and are scared into adopting an inferior control mechanism, don't you think?
    I can't block. Enemies can block every melee attack I throw at them. Why can't I block

Yes, you're totally right. If the enemy can block and the function was in there, there was no reason to not allow the player to do the same thing.

Combat could've been much better for it.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm definitely on the "KBAM is shit" bandwagon for this particular game. The game code is horribly optimized and using a mouse objectively and definitely emphasizes the issue. Trying to use a mouse in this game makes it degenerate into jerky chunks of motion. I can't even update the drivers to see if they improve the game because then absolutely vital elements become broken (like the dialogue choices becoming invisible). Gamepad controls aren't perfect either, but at least they don't multiply existing issues into the intolerable range. Just one of the game's many flaws. And even with the slower mini-game issues for the gamepad, that's another crappy developer choice, not a gamepad issue. There's no reason for the mini-games to go so slowly on a gamepad other than the devs making yet another bad call.

Don't see why people get so butthurt over KBAM not being the perfect choice for every game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game justified its purchase price to me when I replied to Steven Hetch's conspiracy email with the Suave option and it was something right out of Timecube.

That made this game worth it just for that moment. :mrgreen:

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm definitely on the "KBAM is shit" bandwagon for this particular game. The game code is horribly optimized and using a mouse objectively and definitely emphasizes the issue. Trying to use a mouse in this game makes it degenerate into jerky chunks of motion. I can't even update the drivers to see if they improve the game because then absolutely vital elements become broken (like the dialogue choices becoming invisible). Gamepad controls aren't perfect either, but at least they don't multiply existing issues into the intolerable range. Just one of the game's many flaws. And even with the slower mini-game issues for the gamepad, that's another crappy developer choice, not a gamepad issue. There's no reason for the mini-games to go so slowly on a gamepad other than the devs making yet another bad call.

Don't see why people get so butthurt over KBAM not being the perfect choice for every game.

Again, not the game's flaw. Your flaw. I have no issues with that, therefore it isn't the game doing it.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Did not say that it will.

Also note that I mentioned that there was a possible fix.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I didn't say that it wasn't a developer choice, just that I found them much more doable with a mouse. I even specifically said that the controller, well, controls were much better thought out and implemented

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Again, not the game's flaw. Your flaw. I have no issues with that, therefore it isn't the game doing it.
    You're being intentionally dense, aren't you?

A bug within the game's code is still a bug within the game's code. If it's fixable on the user end, that makes it less of an issue, but it doesn't make it not an issue. Not all bugs are user error, even if some certainly are, and not all bugs will manifest themselves across all hardware configurations.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Did not say that it will.

Also note that I mentioned that there was a possible fix.

Let me fix that up for you then.
    Also, my problems with the mouse smoothing and other input processing that can cause the camera to jerk around at random, independent of mouse movement, made my game nigh unplayable. That's less than ideal. Something is wrong with my game/computer. There may be nothing wrong with yours. If there's nothing wrong with yours, you should definitely use the KBAM interface, as it's far superior.

Now that looks right to me. Muuuuuuuuch better.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's dedication, alright.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know, if I wasn't an idiot, I would've quit on the last page.

But the rage.

I mad.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wat

I has had no KBAM issues, what mice are you gents using

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is the embassy mission supposed to be harder if you side with
    Albatross?

I ended up ragequitting during the last segment after many deaths, then went with the other party and cleared it on my first try.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Is the embassy mission supposed to be harder if you side with
    Albatross?

I ended up ragequitting during the last segment after many deaths, then went with the other party and cleared it on my first try.

Well, VCI is better armed, making the very end of that mission a bit more difficult if you ally with G22

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wat

I has had no KBAM issues, what mice are you gents using

I;m using just a standard Microsoft optical mouse.

I had the camera craziness for a while, but doing the fix in the ini seemed to fix it.

Camera still occasionally goes crazy but it's not doing it everytime a scripted event happens.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm on a Logitech MX510. This is the first issue I've ever had with it, and it's isolated to this game.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just try the ini modifications

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Enjoying it so far. Definitely see where some issues are. Still fun, and when the pieces fall into place the game really shines.

If I had to guess, the reason the gameplay would be lacking is, I assume, maybe due to them having to generate all of the dynamic content in the game.

The weapon "issue" could be "fixed" a bit if maybe weapons were given a small power boost or something to that effect.

But so far for every encounter I just do the bullet time thing on guys I'd have trouble shooting.

Quick question. I got this from GameFly, so no manual. Is there a way to hot swap abilities/gadgets without having to go back into the menu every time?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just try the ini modifications
    I will at some point, just to see if it clears up the issue.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You have to go into the menu to change everything but the weapon you use.

Here's the manual: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/34010/AP_G4W_MG_AU_DL.pdf?t=1275495159

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Look, everyone, we've found someone with the perfect PC setup!

Perhaps he'll share it with us so no-one will ever have any problems with any game ever again.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endgame spoilers
    What triggers Westridge as the end boss rather than Leland? Is it leaving Shaheed alive? It happened on my third run but not my first.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Look, everyone, we've found someone with the perfect PC setup!

Perhaps he'll share it with us so no-one will ever have any problems with any game ever again.

No, you found someone who knows how to delineate between user issues and product issues.

Big difference.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think all we found was a really pedantic silly goose.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm on a Logitech MX510. This is the first issue I've ever had with it, and it's isolated to this game.

hmm same mouse here. weird.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

hmm same mouse here. weird.
    I hear it's been commonly cited enough to have been pretty well associated with the way the game handles mouse smoothing, hence why there is a fix for it by way of an ini edit. Doesn't seem to be a hardware or driver issue.

Monger on
This discussion has been closed.