Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hmm, while we're on that subject, should I go str+dex for a martial arts character or dex+ego?

Do their attacks scale more with super-statted strength than with super statted ego?

I would go Dex/Ego and gear for Str and Con.

Superstats all scale to 30% extra damage (softcap). The damage cap for melee/STR is pretty low, only 70 STR at level 40. So definitely don't superstat STR just because you are doing melee damage. As a Martial Arts character you only need to gear for a little STR to hit your melee bonus cap and then anything else is kind of wasted.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    some of the stats, like Strength, are only worth super-statting if you have a power that explicitly scales off strength

like Invulnerability

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    some of the stats, like Strength, are only worth super-statting if you have a power that explicitly scales off strength

like Invulnerability

There are stats that scale in a linear fashion: CON/END/REC, ones that scale in a sharp grade: DEX/EGO/INT and then STR and PRE which are different and special.

Generally speaking, if you have any abilities that rely on DEX/EGO/INT it's usually a must to superstat them, because it's difficult to reap the reward from those stats at non superstat levels due to how they scale. CON/END/REC are beneficial to almost anyone in even small amounts because of how they scale, and you can generally get away with just gearing for them, although there are certainly builds where it's optimal to superstat them. Presence is one of those things that you either want it superstated, or you just want to ignore it, there's no in between really. It functions just fine as a superstat for almost any build, but gearing for it in hopes of making your heal a bit more potent *will* disappoint you. Strength is weird too, if you are a melee you will want to gear for it up to the melee damage bonus cap of 20% (70 STR at level 40) but don't superstat it pretty much unless you are a Might toon or planning to go with Invulnerability, as Pony said.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright so I started this tonight. Made a brawler named Nocero DeCesare. Based off a VTM character of mine...yeah, that. Fun so far, and the Steam version gave me two unique thingies and some kind of figurine. How do you use the figurines anyways?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    Alright so I started this tonight. Made a brawler named Nocero DeCesare. Based off a VTM character of mine...yeah, that. Fun so far, and the Steam version gave me two unique thingies and some kind of figurine. How do you use the figurines anyways?

It's one of the tabs under the character window.

They're just creepy little vanity pets that follow you around and generally fail to be interesting.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have the 75 mini pet achievement in WoW and i have no desire to collect them in CO. I think its the creepy eyes.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also the fact they're SD midgets. Unless you're making Dr Girlfriend it's pretty hard to come up with a character concept that works with.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

They're just creepy little vanity pets that follow you around and generally fail to be interesting.

Wierd, I click on it and my guy hits some deevice then...nothing.

Also I picked up a defiance power and it won't let me slot the damn thing!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You have to be in a defensive or balanced role.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You have to be in a defensive or balanced role.

Thanks! I'll try that later. Right now though, let me introduce you to the baddest bounty hunter in the entire galaxy...Tango Bett! :winky:
    tango_bett.jpg

I need a better pic though, but you get the idea. :P

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    So here I am standing on the roof of Mercy General Hospital in Mil City. Can anyone see what is wrong with this picture?
    hostpial.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, its obvious. There is no bacon in the picture.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So here I am standing on the roof of Mercy General Hospital in Mil City. Can anyone see what is wrong with this picture?

Oh Oh. I got this. Wait don't tell me.

Is it ... you're reading Zone Chat!

If that's not it I don't know what is. Unless you found Waldo, I got nothing.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No actual way into the building, I assume.

Glal on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wins the no-prize!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh hell, that must make for a lot of higher insurance premiums for those airlift patient intakes!

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    they have teleporters duh

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My description of Defender:

"Yeah, that is Defender. He is like Champion's version of Iron Man with the reputation of Superman. Totally a Mary Sue. Not only does he have the super powered armor and acclaim of all the world, but he is also dating a hot super heroine named Witchcraft, and is CEO of a large company. He is like Batman, Ironman, and Superman all rolled up into one, without the tragic past, alcoholism, or weakness to colored rocks."

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

"Yeah, that is Defender. He is like Champion's version of Iron Man with the reputation of Superman. Totally a Mary Sue. Not only does he have the super powered armor and acclaim of all the world, but he is also dating a hot super heroine named Witchcraft, and is CEO of a large company. He is like Batman, Ironman, and Superman all rolled up into one, without the tragic past, alcoholism, or weakness to colored rocks."

You really have to ignore all the npcs to enjoy the game. It's unfortunate, but the writing is awful.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You really have to ignore all the npcs to enjoy the game. It's unfortunate, but the writing is awful.

Seriously. I could do better.

Its problem is that in its attempt to be as comic-booky as possibly it sacrifices "depth", "originality", "does-not-make-you-winceiness"

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think what bothers me the most though, is the voice acting.

Most NPCs are the same handful of people trying to pass these hilariously fake accents to make it seem like they had more than ten voice actors on board. The deliveries range from uninspired monotone to laughably overacted trite.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had Bob from Accounting coming over to do some of these. Or Sally, Senior Management's secretary forced into the booth with a single pass of the script before her recording session.

I'd also like to know what happened with Defender's old voice actor. You know, the one that seemed like he delivered the lines like a seasoned Silver Age hero, instead of Lispy McLisp.

"You musht deactive all theesh beaconsh. They broadcasht a high-frequenshee shignal that drivesh the Qularr crajee."

aunsoph on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wins the no-prize!

the helipad goes down elevator style.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    "You musht deactive all theesh beaconsh. They broadcasht a high-frequenshee shignal that drivesh the Qularr crajee."
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*Takes a breath*

Hahahahahahahahahhahaaaaa

Ok, this has made my day.

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that the writing and voice acting is terrible. I mean, I get what it's meant to be - satire of all the other superhero franchises, but dayum guys. Seriously, there is a level between campy and just plain bad. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The voice acting doesn't bug me too much, but then again I talk like that all the time IRL

Lilac Citizen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't the voice of Foxbat the senior producer? It is the only case where the voice just works, but then again Foxbat is ridiculously over the top as it is.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    also

basically everything in the Champions lore is a rip-off of something else

everything

like, when you are doing a super-hero MMORPG in the vein of DC and Marvel Comics, it can be hard to be original

but jesus christ giant swaths of the NPCs and shit are just re-skins, basically

Pony on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, I thought that was part of the charm though. :P Hell, I mean it is intentional, right?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Never bothered me, personally. I think the voice acting is laughable, especially compared to EQ2, but I also realize the game is silver age camp :P

Also, realize almost all of the NPCs are from the original PnP which directly mirrored comics in the 80s (but somehow missed the iron age grit).

buddylee on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Does steam autoupdate this game or do I still need to start the patcher/launcher?

Also I am running low on millenium city missions at 26, might have enough to get to 27. Will I miss anything fantastic if I go Desert > Monster Island? I plan on eventually doing the higher level Canada stuff, just probably not on my main char.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Does steam autoupdate this game or do I still need to start the patcher/launcher?

Also I am running low on millenium city missions at 26, might have enough to get to 27. Will I miss anything fantastic if I go Desert > Monster Island? I plan on eventually doing the higher level Canada stuff, just probably not on my main char.

You don't "miss" anything. You can do missions in whatever order you want, and go back to do the ones you skipped. Note that missions that are way lower than you won't trigger a ! quest marker for the NPCs that have them, but you can still talk to them and get the missions. For several months after launch you pretty much had to do every single mission, or be forced to grind pvp/mobs, but I think they've added enough new stuff to fix that.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I must confess that I have extra costumes from the C-Store on all my characters. I can't help it. If I could do it on STO too I would, in a heart beat.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Latest PTR patch notes are up

Here are the patch notes for the 7/9/10 update to PTS (Build: FC.12.20100528.11).

Known Issues that will be addressed before the push to LIVE

* Draconis continues to drop on the crafted travel power items.
    * All difficulty levels are still dropping white and yellow algo items within Serpent Lantern.

Crafting

* Players can once again gain skill points from crafting items after Level 21.

Critters

* Removing the Bleed effects from Critter version of Throwing Knife, Axe, and Bone attacks. This will stop the stacking issues players have been reporting since the Serpent Lantern push to LIVE.
    * Stronghold - Kodiak - This critter no longer Regenerates.
    * Stronghold - Dread Metal - This critter is no longer Defiant.
    * Grond - Reduced Regeneration.
    * Ice Cage holds, other than Freon's, a Serpent Lantern boss, are now only roots and do not appear on any critters lower than level 15. They hold will still effect players even if they are blocking.
    * Gigaton - This critter no longer has Freon's hold.
    * Fixed some issues with Regeneration for critters. In general, weak critters should regenerate more, and high end critters (particularly Legendary and Cosmics) should regenerate much less. This issue is still undergoing review, but a fix for Bludhound, a Legendary critter in Vibora Bay, was necessary.
    * Shotgun Blast and Fragmentation Grenade now apply normalized knockback resistance. This should help address the feedback players have given on large VIPER groups.
    * The Critter version of Martial Arts - Lightening Reflexes has had the description updated. The text now reads "This enemy has a very high chance to dodge slow attacks! Use fast attacks like Clicks, and only tap your Charge attacks to defeat his defenses!" The power has not changed. An example critter with this is Black Mist of the Braintrust.
    * Many types of critter maintained attacks do slightly less damage. Such as Viper laser rifle spray, and the frost breath of Ice Shamans.

General

* Improved "Ignore hard targets for melee". It now correctly does the targeting check.
    * Added code to help prevent the "I'm stuck charging" animation issues that players have been reporting.
    o Note: This will not solve the issue in all circumstances, but players should notice an improvement.

Items

* Only items that are an upgrade type will have extra powers added to them.

Missions

Millennium City

* UNTIL We Meet Again - Changed the journal map to the correct map.

Serpent Lantern

* Freon: Increased the number of times you need to affected by Chill before you become Frozen. Reduced the amount of effort needed to “break free” when frozen. Freon will no longer use his snow storm power on foes that are in melee range.
    * Freon's damage has been reduced by about 10%
    * The drops for Viper X, Freon, Draconis have been improved in quality (Green at low levels, Blue at high levels).
    * Adjusted quality of consumable reward drops for Serpent Lantern.
    * AI enemies should now avoid entering electrified areas. This should help improve the play experience for melee players.
    * Added a map marker for UNTIL HQ.
    * The exit portal will now properly return players to the UNTIL Forward Base.
    * Removed the override combat text from the AA Launchers.

Vibora Bay

* Sapphire Church: Made Sapphire unkillable.

Perks

* Ran a clean up script to catch some Perk unlocks that we not properly converted when the Perk vendor was removed from the game.
    o The script was only run on the Perks Vendor. It still needs to be run on the Costume, Power Replace, and Action Figure Vendors to catch all instances of items not being unlocked correctly. This will happen before the build is pushed to LIVE.
    * Perked Curiosity: Fixed the spelling of curiosity in the title given and correctly renamed the title item.

Powers

Archery

* Quarry - Slotted power for Quarry now displays proper tool tip information.
    * Quarry - Adjusted Quarry power so that it will no longer trigger on energy building attacks.

Celestial

* Conduit - The power can now crit.
    * Conviction- The heal portion of Conviction can now crit. Increase to max hit points now has a buff attached.
    * Imbue - Added the following line to the power description. "At Rank 1, this power uses 83% of your Constitution to calculate your Critical Severity. This percentage rises to 100% at Rank 2, and 120% of your Constitution at Rank 3." This is only a clarification. The power has not changed.
    * Iniquity - Changed the description to clarify that the power can not crit. The power was not changed.
    * Palliate - The power is now accurately marked as a healing power.
    * Palliate - This power can not crit. The description has been updated and the cost has been lowered.
    * Radiance - The healing portion of Radiance can now crit.

Darkness

* Life Drain - Increased damage, significantly increased healing, increased cost.

Electricity

* Electrocute - The power is now affected by incoming damage.

Gadgeterring

* Correctly eliminated the on next hit cooldown from Shrinking Device. All of the on next hit powers will be reviewed in the future.

Might

* Shockwave - The power now properly works on moving targets.

Munitions

* Correctly resetting the range for Sniper Rifle range to 120'.

Sorcery

* Tyrannon's Familiar - Corrected typo in powers description.

Supernatural

* Bestial - Fear Sense Advantage to Frenzy now works correctly
    * Infernal - Defile - The power now counts properly as an Infernal power for purposes of acquiring Tier Four powers.
    * Soul Mesmerism - The power is now affected by incoming damage.

UI

* Location search is once again usable.
    * The Chat Window Text Input font now scales in size along with the rest of the chat window log font Before, increasing the size of the chat window font would make the text larger but not as large as the chat window log font eventually making it harder to read for some players that rely on large font sizes.

Do they normally turn patches around this quickly? SL has only been out a month or so no?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a fun little game. Glad I picked it up during the Steam sale.

Unfortunately, I've created a bunch of characters, so right now I'm just going back and forth trying to decide which I like best.

I've got 3 out of the tutorial, and, um, 5 still in it. :P
    Fire
    Sorcery
    Beastial Supernatural
    &
    Martial Arts
    Infernal Supernatural
    Munitions (maybe with some dual blades for flavor)
    TK
    Power Armor

I think that's a nice mix to try and figure out what I like. But I do seem to be drifting towards my fiery gorilla...Burninaper. :D

Also, thanks to those who have posted links to guides and whatnot...I was initially looking at a lot of very...weird power combos that would probably not have been viable. (For example...I was going to make a dude with shot ice bolts then kicked people in the face...interesting, but probably gimped).

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I recommend picking a favourite and maining them, otherwise you'll get sick and tired of revisiting the same content over and over on your alts, which in turn will discourage you from playing entirely.
    I can't even look at the Millennium City tutorial zone any more... too many alts.

Glal on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I plan on picking one....I think I'm going to get them all through the tutorial and split them between the crisis zones, so I can play around with the additional powers and travel abilities first.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But costumes... All of my characters can have 8 costumes each. I am addicted to costumes.

SpaceBallsDolls.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    8 costumes each? How many default costumes do you get, not counting the ones you purchase from the c-store?

Dourin on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unfortunately, I've created a bunch of characters, so right now I'm just going back and forth trying to decide which I like best.

I've got 3 out of the tutorial, and, um, 5 still in it.

You know.....I believe you can skip the tutorial after character creation once you've completed it on at least one character.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One thing I wanted to ask. Is there any way to get the Red Bug Down and We are the Champions perks AFTER the tutorial?

I've only leveled to 15th level max in the past month, so I'm not sure. If i could , i'd never do the tutorial again.

"LET US REVEL IN THE GLORY OF COMBAT!"

buddylee on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Does completing perks give you anything? I remember getting some arbitrary points for it, but I never found a use for them.

Glal on